Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Quick Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Duvelus

Duvelus
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 10:13 AM

First thank you for your time. I have been a fan for years and have given your

books as gifts to many friends and family, saves me from having to bake for

them lol.

My question is about the pizza thats pictured on the cover of American Pie.

looks like we have quail eggs and arugula but what else?

Thanks

#2 Peter Reinhart

Peter Reinhart
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 12:10 PM

First thank you for your time. I have been a fan for years and have given your

books as gifts to many friends and family, saves me from having to bake for

them lol.

My question is about the pizza thats pictured on the cover of American Pie.

looks like we have quail eggs and arugula but what else?

Thanks

View Post

Good question. That was a pizza baked at Pizzetta 211 in San Francisco, modeled on a classic Italian pizza on which whole eggs are baked sunnyside up (pizza con uova). Sometimes it's just dough, olive oil, eggs, and maybe some parm. cheese. But eggs can be added to any number of other pizzas as well. On the Pizzetta 211 pizza I think they included some oven roasted tomatoes and fresh arugula (added after the bake), and coarse pepper and salt. Basically, feel free to add an egg or three to almost any pizza that you think it will complement (I wouldn't put it on a sauce and cheese pizza, but mostly only white (bianca) pizzas). The eggs were regular chicken eggs, but quail eggs sound great too!