Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Chinese Restaurant in the ID

Chinese

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 hhlodesign

hhlodesign
  • participating member
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:00 PM

Everyone else seemed to think the food was pretty good, so maybe it's just me, but I just can't see myself craving this stuff.

View Post

I thought the Szechuan crab was good, the twice cooked pork was good and the chicken dish was adequate. To be fair, when a Chinese boy is craving Chinese food in a city without any good Chinese food, you take what you can get and be thankful you can get it at all. That being said, Richmond definately has better Chinese options than Seattle. But we all knew this going in. Lorna was a trooper for not complaining too much during our meal. BTW, our non-chinese friedns really enjoyed the meal.

The difference between Lorna and myself is the fact that sometimes I have to have Chinese food, even the mediocre stuff; while she would rather go without.

#62 tighe

tighe
  • participating member
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:41 PM

The difference between Lorna and myself is the fact that sometimes I have to have Chinese food, even the mediocre stuff; while she would rather go without.

View Post

Isn't that the definition of the difference between a 'gourmand' and a 'gourmet'?
Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.
- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

#63 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:08 PM

^ Yes, I always remind Henry of this difference between us. :laugh:

#64 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:19 PM

too bad your meal wasn't up to par- I absolutely love the dan dan noodles at 7 Star but then I've lived my entire life eating west coast chinese food....... I agree the 1000 layer pancake at rocking wok is amazing!!!

#65 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:19 PM

I haven't been there since 7 Stars changed hands, but that crab used to rock my world. It's so sad if it's no longer stupendously good.

#66 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

visited Pho Bac today for the first time and thought it was very good. I've ever only had Pho once before (can you believe it?) but the flavor was very nice and you could tell everything was quite fresh. We also had the Banh xeo which was really crispy and tasty!

#67 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:21 PM

I also like the hand shaved noodles at Shanghai Garden. Yum.

View Post

had these today- pork chow mein- fantastic!! the noodles reminded me almost of spaetzle with their firm texture and funny shapes. excellent today and the rest should be great tomorrow! :biggrin:

#68 Marky Marc

Marky Marc
  • participating member
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:52 PM

So I went to Rocking Wok today to try the 1000 layer pancake that y'all are raving about..... I don't see what's so special about it. It was a mess of peppered puff pastry. The texture was nice, I guess. The flavor was mediocre at best though. I also had the mixed meat (?) friend noodle, which was recommended. It was decent but, once again, nothing special.
I'll go to this place in pinch. Say, I'm in Wallingford, hungry, and only have $10 cash, I might go back. But I'll never seek this place out.

#69 white lotus

white lotus
  • participating member
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:50 PM

Too bad your Rocking Wok experience was such a disapointment Marky Marc. If memory serves me correctly, the last PNW eG sanctioned social event was organized by Rockdoggydog and we basicaly took over the joint. It felt like the courses would never stop and everything was tasty. I guess I am of the crowd that raved about the 1000 layer pancake. So sad indeed if it is as crashingly mediocre as described. Perhaps you need to find yourself a Rockdoggydog or equivalent to be treated as an honored guest when you go to such places but really, can there be any other equivalents running around out there? cheers, wl :rolleyes:

#70 scarlett

scarlett
  • participating member
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

So I went to Rocking Wok today to try the 1000 layer pancake that y'all are raving about..... I don't see what's so special about it. It was a mess of peppered puff pastry. The texture was nice, I guess. The flavor was mediocre at best though. I also had the mixed meat (?) friend noodle, which was recommended. It was decent but, once again, nothing special.
I'll go to this place in pinch. Say, I'm in Wallingford, hungry, and only have $10 cash, I might go back. But I'll never seek this place out.

View Post

I visited Rocking Wok back in January and as I understand it, they were under new ownership. Apparently the owners sold to an employee (one of the cooks).

I'm not sure if the transition impacted the quality of the food, but when I was there, I didn't think it was all that exciting either.
Traca
Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy

#71 dimsumfan

dimsumfan
  • participating member
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:03 AM

This is an interesting development. I know many people (many Chinese) who were avoiding the place because they didn't like the attitude of the owner. Hopefully they can get the food quality and service right for the future...

View Post

I visited Rocking Wok back in January and as I understand it, they were under new ownership. Apparently the owners sold to an employee (one of the cooks).

I'm not sure if the transition impacted the quality of the food, but when I was there, I didn't think it was all that exciting either.

View Post

#72 MagFoodGuy

MagFoodGuy
  • participating member
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

I was there a few weeks ago and found the food to be very good. I will have to admit I found the 1000 layer pancake needing something, but I did observe them making the pancakes in the front room. The real highlights are the fried dishes (like the salt-and-pepper pork chop and the duck) and a surpisingly good shrimp with lobster sauce.

#73 Marky Marc

Marky Marc
  • participating member
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:35 AM

Hmmm.... maybe I'll give it another go in the future.
On another note: I find it just cooler than hell that Jade Garden in open until ungodly hours in the morning. I went there at midnight with my girlie a few nights ago. Hong Kong style noodles, yum yum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chinese