Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Orgeat

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

#301 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 659 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

Not all mezcals are smoky, and at least one (Fidencio Sin Humo) is made without smoke at all. They can have fairly diverse flavor profiles, as mezcal can be made from a variety of different agave plants, in varied climates and styles, and while most mezcals are blancos some are sold aged. But overall, yeah, Hassouni is right; mezcal tends to be dry and overpowering and smoky, and to make it work in a Mai Tai you'd probably want to round it out with something soft and, uh, round, like an aged rum or brandy or some añejo tequilas. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#302 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:34 PM

After walking home from work tonight I wanted a good hit of orgeat.  It's 26 deg F/-3 deg C outside and it took me almost an hour.  I thought (thought quite hard, actually) of an Autumn in Jersey, but I confess it doesn't feel much like autumn and I have no Laird's nor lemons -- nor limes -- but I do have meyer lemons (the purchasing of which seemed like a good idea at the time).

I'm not sure what to call this:

juice of one meyer lemon ~ 1 1/4 oz or a bit more

1 oz orgeat

3 oz Appleton 12

Shaken hard and strained over fresh ice.  Angostura, about 4 dashes layered over top.  (OK, I would have shaken the Angostura with the rest of the stuff, but I forgot.)  Garnished with a lovely spent meyer lemon half and the prettiest mint sprig I could find.

This is good!  And it is such an attractive drink!  The only downside is that the recipe goes through Appleton and orgeat rather quickly (not to mention Angostura, ice, and meyer lemons).  But tonight it is exactly what I needed!  (W&N with a straw in the bottle might have served in a pinch.)

I commented to my coworker who used to be a bartender that maybe this should be called Autumn in Jamaica.

#303 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

Meyer Teyer?

#304 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:12 AM

After walking home from work tonight I wanted a good hit of orgeat.  It's 26 deg F/-3 deg C outside and it took me almost an hour.  I thought (thought quite hard, actually) of an Autumn in Jersey, but I confess it doesn't feel much like autumn and I have no Laird's nor lemons -- nor limes -- but I do have meyer lemons (the purchasing of which seemed like a good idea at the time).

I'm not sure what to call this:

juice of one meyer lemon ~ 1 1/4 oz or a bit more

1 oz orgeat

3 oz Appleton 12

Shaken hard and strained over fresh ice.  Angostura, about 4 dashes layered over top.  (OK, I would have shaken the Angostura with the rest of the stuff, but I forgot.)  Garnished with a lovely spent meyer lemon half and the prettiest mint sprig I could find.

This is good!  And it is such an attractive drink!  The only downside is that the recipe goes through Appleton and orgeat rather quickly (not to mention Angostura, ice, and meyer lemons).  But tonight it is exactly what I needed!  (W&N with a straw in the bottle might have served in a pinch.)

I commented to my coworker who used to be a bartender that maybe this should be called Autumn in Jamaica.

If you made it with Myers' rum it could be Meyer Or Myers  :raz:

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#305 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

After a lot of orgeat and rum the last few nights I am more in the mood for Cognac.  I had a sidecar earlier and now am enjoying a Japanese.  I had never had a Japanese before and was unsure how best to incorporate the lemon peel.  What I did was shook the lemon peel with the other ingredients and it worked! 

2 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840

1 Tablespoon orgeat

1/2 teaspoon Angostura

lemon peel

As good as this is I think it would be even better over ice, as I understand how the Japanese was originally devised.

Edit:  I double strained into coupe, since it wasn't clear.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 05 April 2014 - 08:34 PM.

#306 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

That sounds like something I'd like, Jo.  Where did you find the recipe?  Kindred has the Japanese Cocktail # 1, but lemon juice isn't my thing.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#307 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

That sounds like something I'd like, Jo.  Where did you find the recipe?  Kindred has the Japanese Cocktail # 1, but lemon juice isn't my thing.

Imbibe! pp 212-213.  The Kindred link you gave documents the Jerry Thomas recipe I used under "History".  Except that I shook my Japanese and used Angostura for the bitters.

In the interest of science I measured three dashes from the Angostura bottle to be 1/2 teaspoon.

#308 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

Thanks, Jo.  I'll go with Jerry.

Don't know why I didn't see that - must be drinking too much methanol these days.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#309 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,846 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:08 AM

Figuring that, between the Pink Lady and weird Savoy concoctions like the Angel Face, gin and apple brandy might go pretty well together, I decided to split the difference between the Army and Navy and the Autumn in Jersey. Surely someone else has already done this, but in keeping with the NJ theme, and reflecting the fact that I've been obsessing with the Counting Crows song "Palisades Park" lately, I decided to dub it the...

Fully Amplified Clyde

1 oz. Laird's BIB apple brandy

1 oz. Blackwood's "Limited Edition" gin (60% abv)

3/4 oz. orgeat

3/4 oz. lemon juice

2 dashes Regan's orange bitters

Lovely stuff. Neither gin nor applejack predominated, but everything meshed together quite well.

• Rafa likes this
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#310 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,939 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:17 AM

Matt - That sounds great.

The Almond Blossom Crusta (Charles H. Baker Jr), which is essentially the same thing with gin + cognac (no bitters), is also worth trying.

9549522633_5b41b6dc59_z.jpg