Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Sweet Breads, Breakfast Breads....

Bread Breakfast

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 StudentChefEclipse

StudentChefEclipse
  • participating member
  • 340 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 02:02 PM

I love fruit in breakfast bread, but have a difficult time finding recipes without nuts in the loaf as well. Is there a "bread science" reason for the nuts or can I just forge ahead with extra fruit in lieu thereof?

Also... what is your favorite sweet/fruit/breakfast bread?

Thank you!
"My tongue is smiling." - Abigail Trillin
Ruth Shulman

#2 Peter Reinhart

Peter Reinhart
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 04:25 PM

I love fruit in breakfast bread, but have a difficult time finding recipes without nuts in the loaf as well. Is there a "bread science" reason for the nuts or can I just forge ahead with extra fruit in lieu thereof?

Also... what is your favorite sweet/fruit/breakfast bread?

Thank you!

View Post

Hi,
There's certainly no rule regarding nuts--leave them out if you like and bump the fruit. I love raisin bread and am particularly fond of raisin focaccia--with lots and lots of raisins. It's a great breakfast bread. There's a version I developed for Fine Cooking in one of their back issues. See if they have it archived. I also love good multi-grain breads (like Struan, my all-time favorite), toasted, and with butter and strawberry jam. It's a meal!

#3 StudentChefEclipse

StudentChefEclipse
  • participating member
  • 340 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 10:13 PM

Thank you so much! Raisin focaccia sounds heavenly, so I will absolutely look for the recipe.
"My tongue is smiling." - Abigail Trillin
Ruth Shulman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bread, Breakfast