Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The World's Best Coconut Cake

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#61 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:48 PM

Can i use a can of coconut milk instead of cream of coconut?

View Post

I really don't know that answer to that. The cream of coconut is like sweetened condensed milk - very sweet and thick. Coconut milk is less sweet and thin, isn't it? I would think that you could substitute, but how or if it would change the taste/texture, I don't know. Maybe someone else could answer this question. Is there a specific reason that you would want to use the milk instead, or is it just what you happen to have??

#62 slbunge

slbunge
  • participating member
  • 783 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:34 PM

Did you happen to snap a photo? If so, please post. Thanks.

As for the using coconut milk rather than cream of coconut, I would also think that you might not get the texture you want with the milk. The coconut cake that I have used a recipe from Paul Prudhomme that starts with coconut flesh that ends up as paste. Thinner would not have been better in my case.
Stephen Bunge
St Paul, MN

#63 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:48 PM

Did you happen to snap a photo?  If so, please post.  Thanks.

I did take a picture, but I am not digital yet - I will have to wait until I finish this roll, have it developed, get a picture CD and figure out how to post to egullet :wacko: !

#64 tmgrobyn

tmgrobyn
  • participating member
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:32 PM

:biggrin: You had me at Coconut Cake and then slammed the dessert door shut and locked me inside when you added the lemon curd! I would be in dessert heaven! It sounds wonderful. Congratulations on your success! And I am sure everyone who had some was happy you succeeded also! :smile: :smile:
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

#65 onehsancare

onehsancare
  • participating member
  • 246 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:28 PM

Did you replace the 1 tsp vanilla in the cake and in the frosting with 1 tsp coconut extract, or did you add an additional 1 tsp of coconut to each?

Can't wait to try this--it sounds wonderful!
Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

#66 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:45 PM

Did you replace the 1 tsp vanilla in the cake and in the frosting with 1 tsp coconut extract, or did you add an additional 1 tsp of coconut to each?

Can't wait to try this--it sounds wonderful!

View Post

I went ahead and used both the vanilla and the coconut. I am very leery of subtracting vanilla from a recipe. I always think that it adds depth and don't want to lose it. I might try it as an experiment, but I was making this for company and didn't want to take any chances.

#67 Rebecca263

Rebecca263
  • participating member
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:55 PM

Ohmyholyoats. I so want a piece of coconut cake this year! That touch of lemon in the cake sounds divine. I really anticipating the photos!
More Than Salt
Visit Our Cape Coop Blog
Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma
Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

#68 godiv@

godiv@
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:02 PM

Can i use a can of coconut milk instead of cream of coconut?

View Post

I actually tried this and didn't work out. As mentioned, it is much thicker than the milk. My cake was super dense and collapsed in the center. I tried the milk and it worked wonders. I also added coconut flakes to the batter and it was oh so delicious. The longer it sits, the better it is. Figure it's the coconut oil.

I made mine with SMB and added coconut cream and extra flakes and it was heavenly! :rolleyes:

#69 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 12:41 AM

I *think* you can thin out the cream of coconut to use as coconut milk. I can get it fresh here, so I've never tried.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#70 Sethro

Sethro
  • participating member
  • 637 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:03 AM

I *think* you can thin out the cream of coconut to use as coconut milk. I can get it fresh here, so I've never tried.

View Post

Nope. Cream of coconut is basically a drink syrup, pretty much identical to coco lopez. Its about as thick and sweet as condensed milk.

#71 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:39 AM

I actually tried this and didn't work out.  As mentioned, it is much thicker than the milk. My cake was super dense and collapsed in the center.  I tried the milk and it worked wonders.  I also added coconut flakes to the batter and it was oh so delicious.  The longer it sits, the better it is.  Figure it's the coconut oil.

I'm confused. Did you use coconut *milk* or coconut *cream*. The recipe linked to above calls for coconut cream, but from your fourth sentence, it sounds like you used coconut milk. Did you use a different recipe that called for coconut milk? I have a lot of coconut milk, but no coconut cream, so a recipe with coconut milk would be great!

I made mine with SMB and added coconut cream and extra flakes and it was heavenly!  :rolleyes:

View Post

What's SMB?

#72 Tweety69bird

Tweety69bird
  • participating member
  • 462 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:20 PM

What's SMB?

Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

#73 cakesuite

cakesuite
  • participating member
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:27 AM

It just happens that I have a client looking for a coconut cake this week. I'll give this one a go, and leave my review. Thanks!

#74 godiv@

godiv@
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

I'm confused.  Did you use coconut *milk* or coconut *cream*.  The recipe linked to above calls for coconut cream, but from your fourth sentence, it sounds like you used coconut milk.  Did you use a different recipe that called for coconut milk?  I have a lot of coconut milk, but no coconut cream, so a recipe with coconut milk would be great!

I substituted the milk in my butter cake recipe with the coconut milk. It worked fine.

Edited by godiv@, 26 April 2006 - 06:05 PM.

#75 cakesuite

cakesuite
  • participating member
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:22 PM

Wow! Huge success! The client chose this for her wedding cake. I filled it with a coconut cream cheese mousse, and iced with coconut cream cheese IMBC.

I also served the cake to family for a birthday, and everyone went gaga for it. Thank you!!

#76 Joni

Joni
  • participating member
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:32 PM

[quote name='cakesuite' date='May 1 2006, 01:22 PM']
Wow! Huge success! The client chose this for her wedding cake. I filled it with a coconut cream cheese mousse, and iced with coconut cream cheese IMBC.

How did you make your coconut cream cheese mousse??? Any changes to the cake recipe?

#77 Dailey

Dailey
  • participating member
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:02 AM

thanks, kim, for posting this recipe! made it this weekend and it was awesome, rich and moist just like you said ( i added 1 tea. of coconut extract like you suggested). :biggrin: i made a pineapple filling to go with it but think i'll try a different filling next time since i wasn't crazy about it, maybe i'll do a coconut cream cheese filling, like cakesuite.

Edited by Dailey, 05 July 2006 - 09:04 AM.

#78 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:11 AM

I am so glad that everyone has had good luck with this cake. It was so funny at Easter when I served this cake everyone wanted the recipe. When they saw that it was a 'from scratch', they kinda backed off. They said it looked like a lot of work. I think, especially considering the results you achieve that it is a fairly uncomplicated cake!

#79 BakerTeresa

BakerTeresa
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:26 PM

Thanks Kim for sharing this recipe. I made it today for my Grandfather's birthday. It was very good.

I did make it last night and it did not rise. Yep, I cannot substitute the buttermilk for soured milk.

It has an interesting crumb. It's has a very tight wet crumb. Very good and great coconut flavor! I took your advise on the coconut extract.

For the filling, I used coconut cream instant pudding, whipping cream and coconut milk (leftover from another experiment gone bad) plus shredded coconut. My family loved the "coconut custard". :laugh: The icing was a bit sweet for me; I am not an icing person. I think a IMBC would be great on this cake or maybe just a whipped topping.

I will definetely make this one again. THANK YOU SO MUCH! :wub:

#80 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for letting me know about this, Teresa! I have had more than one person suggest IMBC and I think that the next time I make this, I will try both that and the custard filling! Sounds wonderful and even more coconutty - which, of course, appeals to me!

#81 BakerTeresa

BakerTeresa
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:26 PM

:biggrin: You are welcome..and no THANK YOU!

#82 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:10 AM

Well, I have finally cracked the image gullet code and here is a picture of the cake:

Posted Image

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo of a slice, so you can't see the layers and the filling :wacko: !

#83 gia

gia
  • participating member
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:19 PM

I made a coconut layer cake yesterday and the layers were so sticky! I greased and floured the pan; it still stuck. I did manage to get it off (luckily used springform) but the cake has a sticky feel. I think the recipe has too much sugar. Could that be it?

ingredients:

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup canned sweetened cream of coconut (such as Coco Lépez)*
4 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk

thanks for any help!

#84 chefpeon

chefpeon
  • participating member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:24 PM

Actually I think the problem is too much liquid.....
you're putting 1 cup of Coco Lopez in AND buttermilk?

I would think it would be one or the other.
It sounds like your cake recipe was written to be made just with the buttermilk and perhaps
someone forgot to write that to make coconut cake, you SUB the Coco Lopez for the buttermilk, instead of ADDING it in addition to the buttermilk.

#85 merstar

merstar
  • participating member
  • 948 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:02 PM

Actually I think the problem is too much liquid.....
you're putting 1 cup of Coco Lopez in AND buttermilk?

I would think it would be one or the other.
It sounds like your cake recipe was written to be made just with the buttermilk and perhaps
someone forgot to write that to make coconut cake, you SUB the Coco Lopez for the buttermilk, instead of ADDING it in addition to the buttermilk.

View Post

There's a cake very similar to this one from Bon Appetit - also uses 1 cup dairy (3/4 cup buttermilk and 1/4 cup sour cream), plus 1 cup Coco Lopez. Same amount of flour and butter, about a Tbsp less sugar, and uses 1 tsp baking powder only - not the additional 1/2 tsp baking soda as in gia's recipe.
http://www.epicuriou...ws/views/106982

Edited by merstar, 21 October 2006 - 02:10 PM.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

#86 chefpeon

chefpeon
  • participating member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

Well, if too much liquid isn't the problem then, perhaps before one goes and blames the recipe for being faulty, you might want to give the recipe another go, just to make sure you didn't scale something out incorrectly. I really don't believe the recipe has too much sugar to be honest.

Besides the cake feeling sticky, how was the texture of it? Did it seem ok, or was it unacceptable?

#87 gia

gia
  • participating member
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:37 PM

appreciate the feedback. I will be cutting it tomorrow! I'll then know more. I was thinking the cream of coconut was too much since the texture was somewhat "gooey." It does sound like a lot of liquid, but the batter wasn't thin; seemed ok. thanks again.

#88 gbbaker

gbbaker
  • participating member
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:37 PM

The barefoot contessa has a great coconut cupcake recipe.

#89 RodneyCk

RodneyCk
  • participating member
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 05:06 PM

You are correct, way to much sugar. I am sure with the amount called for in your recipe, it is probably turning into a sticky syrup.

I created my own cake using 1 cup cream of coconut. To do that, I had to break down the cream of coconut which is mostly sugar and lessen the sugar in my recipe. I don't have my notes with me on the breakdown, but something like 1/4 cup or maybe less was actual liquid, the rest sugar in cream of coconut.

Try the Cook's Illustrated Coconut Layer Cake recipe, very tasty and it has very good proportions, and not sticky.

:blink:

Edited by RodneyCk, 21 October 2006 - 05:07 PM.

#90 highchef

highchef
  • participating member
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 05:29 PM

agree with the above, try unsweetened coconut milk, the other stuff is like adding a coconut flavored sweetened condensed milk AND sugar. You want the coconut flavor, just not the extra sugar.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert