Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Bread Science Books

Bread

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scott123

scott123
  • participating member
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:03 PM

I'm a huge fan of Harold McGee, Shirley Corriher, Robert L. Wolke and Alton Brown. I've read everything they've written, and most more than once.

I'd like to delve further into bread, specifically dough rheology as well as enzymes. I've been able to amass a decent amount of knowledge on yeast from books on brewing, but a good book on that would be great too.

Are there any books you'd recommend?

#2 Peter Reinhart

Peter Reinhart
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:48 PM

They exist but are hard to find outside of technical institutions. I'd suggest contacting the American Institute of Baking (AIB) in Manhattan, Kansas--they have some great technical bulletins and a few heavy hitting books. Also, the Bread Bakers Guild of America has some great technical pieces (but not overly so) that you can purchase by contacting them at www.bbga.org. Finally, try www.sfbi.org, the SF Baking Institute. They've been putting out a series of newsletters with terrific technical info.
JUST IN: Jeffrey Hammelman's wonderful new book, "Bread," has some good science in it too.

#3 scott123

scott123
  • participating member
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 01:47 PM

Thanks! I will definitely seek those out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bread