Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Cantonese Cooking & Traditions

Chinese

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Somehow I doubt places like Yook Woo Hin of that time derived their inspiration from this place called "Jimmy's Kitchen". (What was this "Jimmy's Kitchen"?)

I regret to inform you that the famous Yook Woo Hin restaurant has closed down. I grew up in KL. When I migrated from Malaysia, my farewell party was in that restaurant.

Yes, I'm aware of it. There was quite a "send off" too, I understand, with the place cranking out enormous amounts of their versions of dim-sum (admittedly not exactly the best in town) for the crowds who descended on the place for one last hurrah. It was such a pity, but KL's Chinatown is no longer "Chinatown", as YWH's proprietress said, and to someone who has never been there before (and ignoring the fancy gates on Petaling Street) the place would seem like Little India, not Chinatown, with large populations of Bangladeshis, Nepalis, etc. Still, YWH was no longer the same anyway, compared with previous days. The "old guard" of great chefs had retired /died/left and never passed on their skills to the new generation and many of the dishes they were famed for including those which I remembered fondly from the 60's, 70's were no longer available. Their wonderful version of "Wat Tan Ngow Yook Cheen Heong Mai"[Cantonese pan-fried skinny rice noodles in a sauce of beef stir-fried w/ scallions & giner w/ a raw egg broken into the hot pile just after plating], for example. I have personally not come across elsewhere quite the same scrumptious balanced mix that they turned out.

#122 naguere

naguere
  • participating member
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

Jimmy's Kitchen, not 'What was?', it still is and has provided international cuisine since the 1920's Let Google be your friend and go to 'Jimmy's Kitchen Hong Kong' , or if you are in Hong Kong , book a table and experience the pleasure of it's cuisine ..
Who cares how time progresses..

Today I am drinking ale.

(Edgar Allen Poe)

#123 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Yes, I'm aware of Jimmy's Kitchen in Hong Kong, thanks. I was asking what this Jimmy's Kitchen was in KUALA LUMPUR. Have a look again at the location references in my post, where I asked about this place by this name in KL which wesza referred to and whose post I quoted in my post which you are referring to. (http://egullet.org/p1901878)

Edited by huiray, 21 January 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#124 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

image.jpg

This is a dish I encountered at at Cantonese restaurant in South Florida, it was called "Pi-Po Tofu"

I've never had this dish before, even in Chinatowns in NYC and SF. They were deep fried dumplings of processed tofu stuffed with Chinese sausage and mushroom, in a black bean oyster sauce.

Is this considered to be more of a home cooking dish? Is it even Cantonese?
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#125 Keith_W

Keith_W
  • participating member
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

It is actually pronounced "pei pa tofu", and yes it is Cantonese. The "pei pa" refers to the shape of the tofu which is supposed to look like a Chinese mandolin, which is why it is sometimes called "violin tofu" or "mandolin tofu".

Is it home cooking ... well I suppose everything can be home cooked if you have the skill! To make this, you mash together tofu, with chinese sausage, mushrooms, flour, and egg yolk - then use a Chinese spoon to drop little "pei pa" shapes into deep fry oil. The last time I attempted this I was left with a broken up mess. I strained all the bits out of the oil, doubled the egg yolk, and it still refused to bind. I ended up steaming the mixture instead :(
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

#126 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

There is also what is called "Kum Chin Tofu" or "Kam Chin Taufu" which means "Gold Coin Tofu".   This was one of my favorite tofu preparations ever - and eaten in a very few restaurants (even 30-plus years ago in SE Asia) where they bothered to make it.  This was tofu that was broken up into a mash, reformed into balls with egg/other stuff, deep fried and processed further (e.g. boiling in stock) to give fluffy balls of tofu with a golden skin which was cooked with some sort of slightly thickened sauce, such as a crab/seafood sauce or a minced meat sauce, often with egg white drizzled into it to give "ribbons" of white in it as well. YUM YUM.

Here's one video showing one prep of it: Kam Chin Taufu (one version)

The blurb regarding the video about the stuff not being found in restaurants is INCORRECT, even though it is rare to find it.

(Keith_W, maybe your mix for pei pa tofu was *too wet*? So adding more egg yolk might have made it worse...)

#127 Will

Will
  • participating member
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

Fuchsia Dunlop has a great pipa doufu recipe in her new cookbook "Every Grain of Rice".

I would use some starch (potato starch / cornstarch / whatever) in the mixture. Even without egg, I've successfully fried them, though they do crisp up a little better with the egg.

Edited by Will, 04 March 2013 - 01:52 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chinese