Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Fernet Branca & Branca Menta Recipes

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#61 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 954 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:14 AM

Ordered a Fernet Flip last night at the Violet Hour. He's what Ira came up with.

3/2 oz Fernet Branca
3/2 oz Carpano Antica
Whole Egg
1/8 oz Demerara
Dash Angostura

Trying to minimize the number of ingredients and accentuate the Fernet, he tried it first without the Angostura and Demerara. The finish was really funky. After the minor tweak it was very pleasant all around. Perhaps the best Fernet drink I've had. Minty smooth, but not at all in the "I just left the dentist's office" sort of way I feel after many drinks that are heavy in Fernet.
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#62 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:17 AM

Ordered a Fernet Flip last night at the Violet Hour.  He's what Ira came up with.

3/2 oz Fernet Branca
3/2 oz Carpano Antica

View Post

Aka'd as 1 1/2 or 1.5 oz I assume?
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#63 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 954 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:19 AM

Ordered a Fernet Flip last night at the Violet Hour.  He's what Ira came up with.

3/2 oz Fernet Branca
3/2 oz Carpano Antica

View Post

Aka'd as 1 1/2 or 1.5 oz I assume?

View Post

Yes, 1.5 oz of each.
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#64 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:34 AM

Is it minty with the FB, or is that Branca Menta?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#65 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 954 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:32 AM

View Post

FB, not Menta...yeah, there was a definite minty thing going on...not necessarily mint, maybe peppermint and menthol.

DeVoto, The Hour

#66 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • participating member
  • 922 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:28 AM

FB has a pretty hefty eucalyptis note on it in the finish.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

#67 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 954 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:18 PM

FB has a pretty hefty eucalyptis note on it in the finish.

Toby

View Post

Yeah, I'm probably confusing mint/menthol and eucalyptus...

DeVoto, The Hour

#68 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

View Post

"fenaroli’s handbook of flavor ingredients" has a chapter that goes into detail on amaros, particularly fernet and its contruction.

fernet is described by fenaroli as being primarily about a mint and saffron ratio contrasted with a series of bitter notes. branca menta is described as a variation with a ratio of significantly more mint to the saffron ratio of regular fernet.

fenaroli explains some weird stuff in his take on amaros. he even talks about amaros with certain basic notes like anise or artichoke that for some reason can't be adapted to a "menta" style variation where a ratio changes significantly. they supposedly can only be refined with supporting notes.

who knew...

Edited by bostonapothecary, 24 July 2009 - 04:54 PM.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#69 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:03 PM

I've been trying to figure out a few options at work for some orders we're getting from guests. One is for an "espresso martini," which I think means Kahlua, vodka, creme de cacao, and cold espresso. I'm going for something a bit different here using the espresso syrup I posted about a while back. The name refers to an Italian-American friend who lives near bourbon country:

The Cavallo

2 oz bourbon
1/2 oz Fernet Branca
1/2 oz espresso syrup

Stir; strain over fresh ice in an OF glass. Garnish with an orange peel.

A little test marketing at the bar indicates that Maker's Mark works nicely for those who prefer a tamer drink, whereas I like it with Henry McKenna.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#70 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:27 AM

Anyone know anything about "Fernet Bitters" as opposed to Fernet Branca?

I just picked up a bottle out of curiosity and because it was only painfully expensive at $35 a bottle, rather than the insanely expensive Fernet Branca at about $62. It does say prodotto Italiano and is 42% alcohol by volume. When I peeled the bar code off the back label there appears to be German text underneath.

The taste is similar to Fernet Branca but I didn't do a side-by-side tasting. After a small first sip, I did a shot with a ginger-beer chaser. Next I tried my Bitter, Bitter, Bitter: 2 oz Aperol (substituted for Campari), 1 teaspoon Fernet, a few dashes Fees old fashioned bitters, stir with ice and top with bitter lemon.

I wonder if this is a knock-off or what. But it seems to be a reasonable substitute for now.
It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#71 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:37 AM

... Bitter, Bitter, Bitter: 2 oz Aperol (substituted for Campari), 1 teaspoon Fernet, a few dashes Fees old fashioned bitters, stir with ice and top with bitter lemon.

Sound great, although good Bitter Lemon is hard to find around Boston. (Polar brand is available, but I haven't tried it.) Maybe substitute some soda, fresh lemon, and lemon bitters? I'd think the Aperol would need a little lemon for acid, since it's sweeter than Campari.

Shouldn't that be Bitter, Bitter, Bitter, Bitter? :smile:

I'm trying this tonight!

Edited by EvergreenDan, 08 April 2010 - 05:41 AM.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#72 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:43 AM

Sound great, although good Bitter Lemon is hard to find around Boston. (Polar brand is available, but I haven't tried it.)

tropico in roxbury sells schweppes bitter lemon bottled in africa and probably made with cane sguar. it comes in a really heavy bottle with a painted on label because in africa, i think they recycle by sterilizing the bottles rather than melting them down and reforming them.
bostonapothecary.com

#73 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

I'll keep an eye out for that Bitter Lemon. I tried the Bitter, Bitter, Bitter (Bitter) tonight and liked it rather a lot, as did my wife. I added 1/2 Lemon (as part of my bitter lemon simulation, along with about 5 dashes Lemon bitters), and I liked the acid addition. I need to retry it with real Bitter Lemon and also with Campari.

I used to drink Bitter Lemon as a kid, as my grandmother liked it. Fond memories. Kind of hard to believe in retrospect that I liked it.

#74 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:56 PM

Shouldn't that be Bitter, Bitter, Bitter, Bitter? :smile:

I'm trying this tonight!

Ok, Bitter*4 it is.

I used Schwepps this time. But in the USA I like the Safeway Italian Lemon Soda. As a side note when I first got my Aperol I tried it with the bitter lemon and was not impressed. The Fernet and Fees bitters make a huge difference.
It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#75 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:15 AM

I added 1/2 Lemon ...

1/2 oz that is. Can't edit. Argh.

#76 John Rosevear

John Rosevear
  • participating member
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:32 AM

Polar's bitter lemon is okay -- it works fine with Pimm's, for instance -- but it might be a little sweet for this. Worth a shot, though.
John Rosevear
"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

#77 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:50 PM

When I was at Bourbon and Branch they made a nice drink for me call the Green Hornet
2 rye
.5 Fernet B
.5 Green Chartruese

I found it quite lovely. I came home and promply switched the rye out for Junipero gin and found it even a more satisfying drink. Sometimes one really gets interesting results putting two tyrants like Green Chrt. and Fernet B. in the same room.

I made the Junipero version of this tonight, but grabbed the Branca Menta instead of the Fernet Branca. It's very good, though I think I'd dial back the Menta a touch.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#78 Roddy

Roddy
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:29 PM

Could this perhaps be the Fernet-style potable bitter put out by Luxardo? They also do a knock-off Campari-style bitter, too. I haven't tried that, but I do have the Fernet-style, and I think it's pretty close. I wonder if at Luxardo they cut back on the expensive saffron?
Roddy Rickhouse
Drinks Writer for Frontier Psychiatrist
http://frontpsych.com/

#79 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:05 PM

I was just in a Italian market this afternoon looking for flavoring syrups and came across a bottle of something called FERNET Magnoberta Bitters, so I though, what the hell. It's a decent FB sub, but it's a bit thinner tasting (maybe due to lower alcohol content), not as rich and lush as FB, but still delivers and works in cocktails (I'm enjoying it in a Bernet Frankenstein right now (with Black Bottle 10 Scotch and PeM)). When I first saw the bottle, I assumed it was a non-alcoholic bitters beverage--this is Pennsylvania. Amazingly, it's 23.5% ABV and sold in a food market . . . in Pennsylvania. Very interesting that they can sell this. I think that had me wanting to buy it more than anything. And it was only $12.95.

Another interesting aspect is that the label lists what seems to be all of the ingredients:
Aloe, quinine, gentian, rhubarb, zedoary, myrhh, chamomile, licorice, carcamon (sic), galangal, centaury, imperatoria, angelica, calumba, saffron, peppermint oil.

Perhaps bostonapothecary or someone can shed some light on a few of the more mysterious of these (zedoary? centuary? imperatoria?). I assume "carcamon" is a misprint of cardamon.
Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#80 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

Photo? Very interested.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#81 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

Fernet  Bitters 004.jpg
Fernet  Bitters 003.jpg
Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#82 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

Wow. Galangal.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#83 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:53 PM

Wow. Galangal.

Why is that significant?
Mike

#84 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

Perhaps bostonapothecary or someone can shed some light on a few of the more mysterious of these (zedoary? centuary? imperatoria?). I assume "carcamon" is a misprint of cardamon.

Zedoary, Centuary and Imperatoria are all listed in the table of botanicals common to vermouth and other flavored wines from Maynard Amerine's "Technology of Wine Making".

Centuary is listed as "European Centuary" and the table lists the whole plant as used. i feel like i've seen a tincture of it at whole foods.

Imperatoria is the italian name for masterwort or hog's fennel and the root and leaves are used.

Zedoary might be a synonym for turmeric according to botanical.com. they describe it as "The odour is camphoraceous, and the taste warm, aromatic, and slightly bitter, resembling ginger"

i couldn't find the "carcamon" listed anywhere.
bostonapothecary.com

#85 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:35 AM

Wow. Galangal.

Why is that significant?

Just surprised to see it. I use galangal a lot in my cooking and a little goes a loooooong way. I'd be interested to taste that to see if I can pick its distinctive taste up.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#86 MixnSip

MixnSip
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

OK, this is something I came up with for the Christmas season that may seem a bit weird but I wanted to include gold, frankincense and myrrh. Frankly, you could skip the frankincense and it won't affect the taste but you do need to shoot it down to get the Wow! effect.

* 3/4 oz eggnog (preferably really, really creamy eggnog)
* Dash of cognac
* 2 drops frankincense (must be food grade)
* 1/2 – 3/4 oz Goldschlager (with its 24k gold leaf)
* 1/2 oz Fernet Branca (an Italian drink that contains myrrh)

1. Shake chilled eggnog, cognac and frankincense together and pour into a double shot glass
2. Very slowly layer the Goldschlager over the eggnog mix
3. Layer the Fernet Branca on the top
4. Give your gift to someone you know will appreciate it and watch them shoot it down

#87 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

Brian Miller (Death & Company - NYC) made a Fernet cocktail for me that we're now calling the Second Sip. Why the second sip? Because everyone takes a second sip to try and figure it out.

2 oz Compass Box Asyla Scotch
1/2 oz Carpano Antica sweet vermouth
1/2 oz Cockburn 20 yr old Tawny Port
1/4 oz Fernet Branca
2 dashes Xocolatl Mole Bitters

Stir, strain and serve in a coupe. Please, no garnish!

Tried this with some tweaks based on what I had on hand:

2 oz Jura Superstition scotch
1/2 oz Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth
1/2 oz Lustau PX San Emilio sherry
1/4 oz Fernet Branca
2 dashes BIttermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters

Second (and third) sip indeed. A complex cup, and one that works well with these ingredients -- though I think that Carpano Antica Formula would stand up better to this onslaught than M&R.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#88 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:49 PM

My cohort at Jeffrey's has a thing for Fernet infused with Sumatra coffee beans, and while it's kind of fun on its own, this effort might make it onto the menu:

1.5 oz Sumatra-infused Fernet
1 oz Carpano Antica
1 fresh egg

Shake very well, strain into whatever glass is handy.

I'd like to give it a spin with Bonal before finalizing it but it's definitely one of those drinks thats more than the sum of its parts. And with coffee and eggs there you've got your complete breakfast going as well.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#89 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:21 AM

Andy -- bacon-washed vermouth. You know you want to.

#90 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:45 AM

Andy -- bacon-washed vermouth. You know you want to.

Yeah it ocurred to me but I can't actually see the flavor working in more than a gimmicky way.

Also--does fat washing even work with low-proof stuff like Vermouth? Seems like you'd just freeze the whole bottle when you tried to get the fat back out. Anybody ever try it?
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman