Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Fernet Branca & Branca Menta Recipes

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#31 eje

eje
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:42 AM

Oh and, by the bye, among the 7 cocktails in the "Savoy Cocktail Book" containing Fernet, there is a cocktail called the "Fernet Branca Cocktail":

Fernet Branca Cocktail

1/4 Fernet Branca.
1/4 Italian Vermouth.
1/2 Dry Gin.

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass.

Mr. Craddock (or the Savoy editors) state:

Note: One of the best "morning-after" cocktails ever invented.  Fernet-Branca, an Italian vegetable extract, is a marvelous headache cure. (No advt.)

---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#32 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:48 AM

Fernet Branca Cocktail
1/4 Fernet Branca.
1/4 Italian Vermouth.
1/2 Dry Gin.

View Post

The proportions one these last few cocktails seem to be all over the map---any thoughts on what would make a well-balanced cocktail?

Edited by Chris Hennes, 05 January 2008 - 10:48 AM.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#33 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:54 AM

Depends what you're after.

If your head is ringing after a night of drinking, the bitter tonic resulting from the proportions of the "Fernet Branca cocktail" might be what you need to settle your nerves.

If you're looking for a pleasant pre or post dinner libation, the "Hanky Panky" proportions might be a better choice.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#34 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

Depends what you're after.

If your head is ringing after a night of drinking, the bitter tonic resulting from the proportions of the "Fernet Branca cocktail" might be what you need to settle your nerves.

If you're looking for a pleasant pre or post dinner libation, the "Hanky Panky" proportions might be a better choice.

View Post

i thought that if you used a 1/4 oz. of fernet it would come into focus most in your mouth when the drink was at its coldest... and when the cocktail warmed even slightly it would evolve and other flavors would come into focus...

i used that in my "prelude to a kiss" drink... using a pomegranite ratafia instead of the vermouth...

2 oz. gin
3/4 oz. ratafia
1/4 oz. fernet

you can use most any fun sweet thing instead of the ratafia...
abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#35 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

Makes sense. Though I would make the Savoy Hanky Panky as: 1 1/4 oz Gin; 1 1/4 oz Italian Vermouth; 1/2 tsp Fernet. The Savoy measurements for the Fernet cocktail would be: 1 1/4 oz Gin; generous 1/2 oz Fernet; generous 1/2 oz Italian Vermouth.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#36 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

Made myself a "Hanky Panky" tonight to (more or less) the Savoy proportions (I was killing a bottle of Plymouth, so there was a touch more gin.) Was a bit surprised (or maybe not) at how much the Fernet dominated the cocktail even at only approx 2 dashes.

Nice, all the same, if you enjoy the minty-herby flavor of Fernet Branca.

Kind of hard to imagine "enjoying" the proportions "Fernet Branca Cocktail" in any other than a tonic way. That would be a pretty bitter cup.

But, then, it is not uncommon for Fernet to be drunk straight as a shot here in San Francisco, land of the Barbary Pirates, so who knows...
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#37 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:40 PM

Made the Savoy Fernet Branca Cocktail the other night:

generous 1 oz Dry Gin
generous 1/2 oz Fernet Branca
generous 1/2 oz Italian Vermouth

...and have to say, unless you are specifically looking for the therapeutic effects of Fernet Branca (or really enjoy Fernet) my advice is to stick with the Hanky Panky recipe.
---
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#38 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

...and have to say, unless you are specifically looking for the therapeutic effects of Fernet Branca (or really enjoy Fernet) my advice is to stick with the Hanky Panky recipe.

View Post

Definitely - I find that any quantity of Fernet over a dash or two and it tends to completely dominate all of the other flavors, to the point that I was considering putting some in the dropper bottles I use for bitters and dosing it out like that.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#39 BittermensAG

BittermensAG
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

Brian Miller (Death & Company - NYC) made a Fernet cocktail for me that we're now calling the Second Sip. Why the second sip? Because everyone takes a second sip to try and figure it out.

2 oz Compass Box Asyla Scotch
1/2 oz Carpano Antica sweet vermouth
1/2 oz Cockburn 20 yr old Tawny Port
1/4 oz Fernet Branca
2 dashes Xocolatl Mole Bitters

Stir, strain and serve in a coupe. Please, no garnish!

Now, I know that the bitters aren't available to the general public yet (we're working on it). In the mean time, the drink still works without any bitters - or you can try a dash of Fee Brothers Aromatic, which should still work very well - just in a slightly different manner.
Avery Glasser
Bittermens, Inc. - Producers of Bittermens Bitters & Extracts

Bittermens Spirits, Inc. - Purveyors of Small Batch Bitter Liqueurs
Vendetta Spirits, LLC. - Nano-Importer of Hand-Produced Spirits

#40 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:24 PM

I find that any quantity of Fernet over a dash or two and it tends to completely dominate all of the other flavors, to the point that I was considering putting some in the dropper bottles I use for bitters and dosing it out like that.

View Post

Try the Corktown Cocktail, Chris. It'll sway you. Or make you sway, at any rate.

2 dashes Xocolatl Mole Bitters

Now, I know that the bitters aren't available to the general public yet (we're working on it). In the mean time, the drink still works without any bitters - or you can try a dash of Fee Brothers Aromatic, which should still work very well - just in a slightly different manner.

View Post

You are so, so mean. Don't you think that the eGullet Society membership need to do some test marketing for you?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#41 BittermensAG

BittermensAG
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:49 AM

You are so, so mean. Don't you think that the eGullet Society membership need to do some test marketing for you?

View Post

Sorry about that - unfortunately we need to be very strict and most importantly, be able to account for every bottle and be able to justify to the ATF/TTB every person who receives a sample up until we gain regulatory approval.

Hopefully we'll receive approval soon...
Avery Glasser

#42 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:19 PM

I find that any quantity of Fernet over a dash or two and it tends to completely dominate all of the other flavors, to the point that I was considering putting some in the dropper bottles I use for bitters and dosing it out like that.

View Post

Try the Corktown Cocktail, Chris. It'll sway you. Or make you sway, at any rate.

View Post

Well, finally getting around to taking your advice, Chris (though I have to admit that I don't really need swaying: I kinda like Fernet). I made myself a Corktown this evening and as you say, mighty tasty. I used a Jim Beam rye, which I generally don't much care for because it has a very sweet overtone, but it works pretty well with the Fernet. Nice cocktail, though I may have to have a few more to confirm these comments... :wink:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#43 PhillyBon

PhillyBon
  • participating member
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:13 PM

My friend and I recently made some whipped cream with a couple of splashes of Fernet and a small amount of sugar. It was delicious with strawberries.

#44 phlip

phlip
  • participating member
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:13 AM

When I was at Bourbon and Branch they made a nice drink for me call the
Green Hornet
2 rye
.5 Fernet B
.5 Green Chartruese

I found it quite lovely. I came home and promply switched the rye out for Junipero gin and found it even a more satisfying drink. Sometimes one really gets interesting results putting two tyrants like Green Chrt. and Fernet B. in the same room.

#45 BittermensAG

BittermensAG
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:34 PM

Last night Tom Schlesinger-Guidelli at Eastern Standard in Boston made a fantastic little nightcap...

1 part Thomas Handy
1 part Chartreuse Yellow VEP
1 part Fernet Branca
Dash orange bitters

Stir and serve in a crushed-ice filled rocks glass with an orange twist.
Avery Glasser

#46 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:20 PM

Last night Tom Schlesinger-Guidelli at Eastern Standard in Boston made a fantastic little nightcap...

1 part Thomas Handy
  1 part Fernet Branca
  Dash orange bitters

View Post

Just made that with Sazerac 18 year, a verrrry old bottle of yellow Chartreuse (has the RI state liquor label on it), FB, and 5 drops each of homemade clementine bitters and Fee's barrel-aged bitters. It's freaking great -- but for serious Fernet fans only, I think. Make that baby, put on "Dark Side of the Moon," and you've got a nice transition to sleepytime.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#47 Mayur

Mayur
  • participating member
  • 590 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:21 PM

1 part Thomas Handy
  1 part Fernet Branca
  Dash orange bitters

View Post

A damn fine cocktail indeed, if I do say. A perfect end to the evening.

I'm generally *not* a big Fernet fan, and I actually quite enjoyed this. Given the insane alcohol content of the Handy and the VEP (125 and 110 proof respectively), I think the overall body of this drink does a lot to tame the Fernet.
Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

#48 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:06 PM

Inspired by Erik's revisiting the Porteño, I made it according to the original formula:

Gary Regan wrote a column which featured Murray Stenson's Porteño:

Drink a Porteño and soon you'll be humming about Argentina

Ingredients:

3/4 oz Bourbon
1/2 oz Fernet Branca
1/2 oz Cherry Brandy
1/2 oz Fresh Lime
1/2 oz Falernum (or simple syrup)

View Post

It's freaking fantastic. Truly. Make it now, Fernet fans.
  • FrogPrincesse likes this
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#49 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:16 PM

I had a great night at the Eastern Standard bar with BittermensAG (y JG!) Monday night while Tom Schlesinger-Guidelli made fantastic drinks, including the one that Avery mentioned above:

1 part Thomas Handy
  1 part Fernet Branca
  Dash orange bitters

View Post

Tom said the name of the cocktail is Goodnight, Chris, and who am I to argue with that?

Tom also made a terrific Toronto Cocktail at night's end. Ok, he said goodnight to me twice. Sue me.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#50 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

I had a great night at the Eastern Standard bar with BittermensAG (y JG!) Monday night while Tom Schlesinger-Guidelli made fantastic drinks, including the one that Avery mentioned above:

1 part Thomas Handy
  1 part Fernet Branca
  Dash orange bitters

View Post

Tom said the name of the cocktail is Goodnight, Chris, and who am I to argue with that?

Tom also made a terrific Toronto Cocktail at night's end. Ok, he said goodnight to me twice. Sue me.

View Post

i had something avery inspired like that tonight at no. 9 after work...

it was like a toronto but with batavia arrack in a snifter with burnt absinthe and VEP green chartreuse... it was pretty cool and smelled gorgeous, but i just can't drink things that sweet...

i was really into the...

2 oz. cynar
1 oz. lemon juice
.5 oz. simple syrup
egg white.

low alcohol but delicious... hopefully i got the proportions correct... i will make this again...
abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#51 vice

vice
  • 901 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:01 AM

I've been tweaking away and think that I've come up with a pretty damned good variation on the Toronto Cocktail which -- my first foray into cocktail nomenclature -- I'm calling the Corktown Cocktail:

2 oz rye
1/4 oz Fernet Branca
1/4 oz Cointreau (go light)
1/4 oz demerara 1:1 syrup (go light)
dash Angostura
dash orange bitters

Stir, pour, and serve with a fat orange twist that you've squeezed over the glass.

View Post

I made the recipe above last night and it turned out mighty tasty. I didn't have any Cointreau on hand, so I used Luxardo Triplum. Overall the cocktail was well balanced and blended well. The idea of Cherry Brandy eje mentioned intrigues me. That may be tonights experiment.

View Post

Well I'll have to second that Chris's Corktown is quite delicious. I find the Toronto intriguing in the way that you want to keep drinking it to figure out the last little bit that it needs to be perfect. Maybe this is it, or maybe it's far enough away to deserve an appellation from another metropolitan area. You decide.

When I pick up some yellow chartreuse (probably not VEP, sadly), I plan on giving Tom Schlesinger-Guidelli's creation a try

1 part Thomas Handy
  1 part Fernet Branca
  Dash orange bitters

I generally don't need any encouragement to go to sleep, but then I'm not necessarily averse to it either.
Dave Viola, aka vice
Host, eG Forums
dviola@eGstaff.org

#52 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:51 PM

Tom called that a "Goodnight, Chris" -- no relation, though he made it for me once. As fate would have it, this is precisely the drink I made for myself tonight, with Rittenhouse BIB, the whiskey-barrel-aged Fee's bitters, and a lemon twist (old, dry orange wouldn't do). It's not for everyone, but I love it.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#53 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:35 PM

Been trying to find recipes with Branca Menta. Audrey Saunders's Goodnight, Irene (2:1 bourbon and Branca Menta with crushed ice) is outstanding, but I crave more. Sam suggested using it as a substitute for creme de menthe; I haven't made the Delmarva Cocktail he suggests, but would be interested to know more possibilities.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#54 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:30 PM

Fiddling with the Stingier Cocktail, and learning that 2 rye: 1/2 Branca Menta: 1/2 Licor 43 is a better balance. The Menta is sweeter than you think it'll be.

That drink also requires a fat orange twist, flamed if you like, which works wonders with the Branca Menta. I decided to push that tonight with another brown spirit, Brugal añejo, that's raw and intense enough to battle through the Branca Menta. Might really shine with something even stronger (Inner Circle green?), but for now, it's sufficiently raw for its name:

The Rough-and-Tumble

2 oz Brugal añejo
1/2 oz Branca Menta
1/2 oz Clément Creole Shrubb

Stir, strain. Flamed orange rind over top; edge the rim; drop into glass.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#55 Mazzer

Mazzer
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:46 PM

Death and Co. currently features a cocktail called the Frisco Club which contains Fernet Branca. If memory serves (and it probably doesn't) it's a base of gin with blood orange liqueur, lime juice, grapefruit juice, and Fernet Branca. If I had to guess at the recipe, it would be:

* 1 1/2 oz gin (they used Plymouth)
* 3/4 oz. blood orange liqueur
* 1/2 oz. lime juice
* 1/2 oz. grapefruit juice
* 1/4 oz. Fernet Branca

This is probably a terrible approximation but is a good base to tinker with. The only measurement I'm sure about is the Fernet Branca, because I asked. At a quarter-ounce, the Fernet Branca was definitely present and clamoring for attention, but still well-balanced. I think it's a very good drink to highlight the ingredient for the uninitiated.

Edited by Mazzer, 19 July 2009 - 07:48 PM.

#56 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:56 PM

blood orange liqueur

?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#57 Mazzer

Mazzer
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

blood orange liqueur

?

View Post

I believe it was Solerno. I've seen it at Astor and figured it has been around long enough to generate knock-offs, but apparently it's fairly new. Cointreau might be an acceptable substitute at home.

#58 Mazzer

Mazzer
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:23 PM

Death and Co. currently features a cocktail called the Frisco Club which contains Fernet Branca. If memory serves (and it probably doesn't) it's a base of gin with blood orange liqueur, lime juice, grapefruit juice, and Fernet Branca. If I had to guess at the recipe, it would be:

* 1 1/2 oz gin (they used Plymouth)
* 3/4 oz. blood orange liqueur
* 1/2 oz. lime juice
* 1/2 oz. grapefruit juice
* 1/4 oz. Fernet Branca

This is probably a terrible approximation but is a good base to tinker with. The only measurement I'm sure about is the Fernet Branca, because I asked. At a quarter-ounce, the Fernet Branca was definitely present and clamoring for attention, but still well-balanced. I think it's a very good drink to highlight the ingredient for the uninitiated.

View Post

So I just mixed this up using my guesstimates and with Cointreau in place of the Solerno, and it's pretty good. I went a little light on the Fernet Branca (a touch over 1/8 oz.) and was glad I did.

#59 KateinChicago

KateinChicago
  • participating member
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:21 AM

Fernet Branca is not a drink but a threat. A threat from an elderly Piemontese Grandmother when you complain that your tummy hurts. All of these attempts to make it palatable are seriously scary :blink:

Kate

#60 Alcuin

Alcuin
  • participating member
  • 644 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:11 AM

Well I often drink an ounce and a half of Fernet Branca on its own after dinner, but then again I have a high tolerance for bitterness equal only to my love of it. De gustibus non disputandis I guess.
nunc est bibendum...