Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Pecan Pie Topic

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#91 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:04 PM

It might be too late but I would use both bourbon and vanilla.

For a variation, would something like adding toasted coconut be a possibility?

I do not understand the cornsyrupaphobia.
If corn syrup is off putting sugar should be all the ever so much more so. No?

Could you help me understand why you are hesitant to use corn syrup?

Edited by K8memphis, 17 December 2006 - 05:06 PM.

#92 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:47 PM

I don't have any reservations about corn syrup! (well, ok, I don't like it in my kid's juice but that's a different story)

RLB recommends the Lyle's in the recipe and after trying it with the Lyle's and the dark Karo, I think it tastes better with the Lyle's. It gets rave reviews with either one but if there's a choice, go with the golden syrup.

That's an interesting twist with the coconut. Today I made brownie tarts (a rich cocoa, bittersweet choc combo with all the usual suspects baked in a tart pan) and adding coconut will be the perfect touch for the next time I make it.

#93 shaloop

shaloop
  • participating member
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:37 PM

Well, the first blog recipe you linked too is very similar to my pecan pie recipe. I tested several recipes and ended up with a tart (so it would be less deep) although I've also made it as a pie and it was just as good.

2 cups pecans, lightly toasted and chopped
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt

Mix eggs and sugar till foamy. Add salt, vanilla, butter and maple syrup. Stir in pecans and pour into pie shell. ( I partially blind bake my pie shell so it cooks all the way through.)

350 degrees until pie starts to puff up and turn golden. Cool completely before serving. If you don't like maple syrup (like if you're an alien or something) you could use corn syrup.

#94 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:08 AM

I think people associate corn syrup with high fructose corn syrup.

I don't like corn syrup pecan pie. I would recommend looking for recipes for chess pie, which is the same thing only better. I have an excellent recipe (not at my fingertips, I'm at work) which is, I believe, all about butter and brown sugar.

Take a look at the Thomas Jefferson pie in Joy of Cooking. I made one once, it's unusual and delicious, I offer this up only as a sticky pie ingredient concept meme.
I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

#95 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:58 AM

butterscotch, if you live in a place that has no corn syrup, you'd probably substitute golden syrup for it.

In a pecan pie, I daresay it'd be fine to sub it 1 for 1 in any recipe, but Lyle's is sweeter than corn syrup.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#96 jess mebane

jess mebane
  • participating member
  • 566 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:16 AM

(Said with an annoying drawl):
depending on your desired effect, it's all about the light and dark Karo, and remember to rough chop your pecans. Dunno 'bout the bourbon and/or chockie; I tends to keep my hooch in the glass where it belongs.

Happy Sticky! :smile:

#97 butterscotch

butterscotch
  • participating member
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:28 PM

not too late- i was hijacked into making brownies instead, and am baking this weekend instead! I'm going to try the combo, thanks......

It might be too late but I would use both bourbon and vanilla.

Could you help me understand why you are hesitant to use corn syrup?

View Post

as far as the corn syrupaphobia goes: well, maybe i am wrong, but i associate it with the gloppy flavorless qualities in most common pecan pie fillings.
it seems to me to be more flavorless than even white sugar! LOL. i prefer brown sugars, caramelly flavor and i know i can acheive that by scorching white sugar (i love candied nuts and brittles) , but white corn syrup? I bought Lyle's golden, Barley syrup, and molasses all in an attempt to avoid it! LOL.
I'm liking this browned butter idea from the combined thread! Very much.
I will try and post pics and will certainly report back. Don;t tell anyone, it;s my first pie since high school!

#98 cookman

cookman
  • participating member
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:22 AM

Here's the one I've been using.  It outstanding -- smooth, rich, and sweet but not overly sweet.  It has a deep flavor from the toasted pecans and browned butter. 

Pecan Pie

3/4 cup butter
2 cups light brown sugar, packed
3 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2  teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups pecan pieces
9 inch unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large skillet, toast pecans.  Remove from skillet.

Add butter to skillet and heat over medium until browned.  Reduce heat and stir in brown sugar.  Let brown sugar melt a bit and turn off heat.  Let cool for about 5 minutes.

In a separate bowl, mix eggs, salt and vanilla.  Stir in butter/sugar mixture and pecans.  Pour into unbaked pie shell Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

View Post

For those who have tried making this pie: Any reason not to use a pie crust that has been partially baked before filling? I almost never make a pie that doesn't have the crust at least partially blind baked before filling. I assume that would be fine here, but thought I'd inquire of those who have already baked this pie.

#99 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 892 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:45 AM

I cannot speak for that particular recipe, but I would advise against it.

Pecan pies are moody. I laughed at my mother-in-law for serving one spooned over ice cream (it was liquid) until it happened to me, this past Thanksgiving.

Meaning that you could easily overbake a pecan pie. They appear to be baked when they are not.
I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

#100 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:19 AM

For those who have tried making this pie: Any reason not to use a pie crust that has been partially baked before filling? I almost never make a pie that doesn't have the crust at least partially blind baked before filling. I assume that would be fine here, but thought I'd inquire of those who have already baked this pie.

View Post

I haven't tried this recipe so I can't comment on it specifically either. I use a pate brisee for my pecan pies (we call them flans :wink: ) and always par-bake the crusts. My filling is a mixture of dark corn syrup, brown sugar and butter.

#101 butterscotch

butterscotch
  • participating member
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:37 PM

Okay, it is FINALLY in the oven.
I settled on a hybrid recipe based on the brown butter one on pg 1 of this thread.
but since I was concerned my brown sugar was a bit hard and dry and couldn't get together 2 cups to pack, I added some Lyles (maybe 2oz)) and a bit more tha a TB of molasses.
Well the brown sugar melted well although a good deal of the butter stayed separate , I tempered the eggs using that butter,and they combined smoothly.
As someone suggested I used a combo of vanilla AND bourbon. :wink:
In the meantime I ruined one Dufour's pate brisse crust- It shrank and the bottom made a disk while the sides came apart as a cylinder. :shock: I followed their directions to the letter and it came out very shrunken and uneven....so - I decided to do a shorter (6 minutes) par bake on my extra crust and at first when i took it out, it started to stick to the top layer of pie pan (they come sandwiched between two foil pans which you keep on it to parbake) Then I realized the crust is 8" and the recipe- and the pie crust shield I have are for 9" pies.
So I eyeballed it, filled it to within 3/8- 1/2" of the edge of the pie pan, and used a safety pin to shorten the silicone shield Whew! And I'm guessing 1/2 hour in stead of 40 min now....
Now I'm going to use the discarded bits of crust #1 layered with leftover filling and nuts and make a few in pyrex ramekins. I will mix in a few walnuts as someone else upthread suggested, and see how that goes. I figure, I have to do something with this filling.
My first pie should be out of the oven in about 15 minutes, and it's smelling very good already!
I will try and get some pics to post for you all.
Thanks so much for all the ideas!

Edited by butterscotch, 24 December 2006 - 09:42 PM.

#102 butterscotch

butterscotch
  • participating member
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:11 PM

Mine is just cooling now, but I believe I can answer you this- I parbaked just 6-7 minutes- just enough to dry out the dough, not give it any color, and it's burnt after just a half hour. I think this filling gets super extra hot, maybe it's the sugar in the crust too?
The pie itself looks great, and I was thinking, like you, and the directions from Dufours that I could parbake just a little bit, , but this crust is burnt. Burnt butter crust and burnt butter pecan pie. At least it's thematic. :shrug:

View Post

#103 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

And pecan season is upon us once again! Got to start it off right, and that means pecan pie... this week I used the recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Pie and Pastry Bible. Her secrets, as mentioned above, are using Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of corn syrup, and using unrefined brown sugar (I used a dark Muscavado) in place of regular brown sugar. I amuse myself by arranging the pecans in concentric circles on the crust (the Cook's Illustrated Vodka Crust, in this case):
Posted Image

The other reason I like this recipe is the ratio of pecans to filling is high because it's really more of a tart than a pie. Here's what's left by the time I remembered to take a photo:
Posted Image

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#104 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Here's mine:

Southern Bourbon-Pecan Pie

Put 1T of molasses and/or 2T of maple syrup into measuring cup
Add dark Karo Syrup (or Blue Ribbon Cane) to make 1 Cup
1/2 C white sugar
1/2 C dark brown sugar
1/3 C melted butter
3 T bourbon (or 2 t vanilla if you don't like bourbon)
4 eggs, beaten until mixed but not frothy
1 1/2 C pecan pieces

Combine syrups and sugars and mix well. Add butter and bourbon. Stir in eggs and combine well.

In bottom of pie shell scatter pecan pieces. Pour pie filling over. Bake 350º for 35-45 minutes. Pie is done when center no longer ripples in middle when moved. Cool well before serving.

This makes enough for a big pie (10"). If I haven't made a shell that large, I just pour the leftover filling into a smaller pan and bake one sans crust.

Pecan Pie season is almost upon us once again. 

I was asked for my recipe.  Here it is.

And, I'm wondering if anyone has tried a chocolate pecan pie? 

I love chocolate and I love pecans and I'm wondering how they would do together in a pie.

• judiu likes this

Joan Rivers says she's starting a new charity - "Feels on Wheels" - a service delivering sexual contact to the elderly.

#105 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

I make a very similar Pecan pie.  I use Rum.  re: chocolate:  I sometimes add semi-sweet chocolate chips.

#106 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

I make a very similar Pecan pie.  I use Rum.  re: chocolate:  I sometimes add semi-sweet chocolate chips.

How many?  And when?

And do you make any other adjustments in the ingredients?

Joan Rivers says she's starting a new charity - "Feels on Wheels" - a service delivering sexual contact to the elderly.

#107 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

about 1/2 cup.  in the 'mix'  no other adjustment.  just make sure the total volume does not exceed the volume of the pie shell.

the chocolate chips melt.

#108 stuartlikesstrudel

stuartlikesstrudel
  • participating member
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

I've never had an authentic American pecan pie, so I'm not sure exactly what's expected, but I can say that I made this last year and it was very very tasty. From memory I didn't include the chocolate chunks, but they would have been a welcome addition.

(it's also corn-syrup-free which wasn't a concern for me but could be handy for folks avoiding it :))

http://www.chefeddy....ate-pecan-tart/

#109 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

The chocolate addition, as tasty as that is  might detract from the Pure Pecan Ness of the pie.

Try the Pure  from high end carefully toasted pecans ( fresh Pecans Please @! ) first.

there are so many pies from this start   ..............

#110 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

The chocolate addition, as tasty as that is  might detract from the Pure Pecan Ness of the pie.

Try the Pure  from high end carefully toasted pecans ( fresh Pecans Please @! ) first.

there are so many pies from this start   ..............

Right.  A chocolate-pecan pie isn't really the place to start.  I'm considering trying a chocolate-pecan pie this year, in addition to the regular pecan pie, and as a variation - a change of pace.

But it just ain't a celebration in the South without a Traditional Pecan Pie. 

I've never had an authentic American pecan pie, so I'm not sure exactly what's expected, but I can say that I made this last year and it was very very tasty. From memory I didn't include the chocolate chunks, but they would have been a welcome addition.

(it's also corn-syrup-free which wasn't a concern for me but could be handy for folks avoiding it :))

http://www.chefeddy....ate-pecan-tart/

Regarding the "corn-syrup-free" thing...

Pecan pies traditionally call for regular ol' corn syrup; NOT the high-fructose corn syrup (a commercial product) that is the current bugaboo.  In fact, I find it very odd that the recipe to which you linked, although clearly aimed at the home cook, mentions leaving out "high-fructose corn syrup," which, I personally, have never seen a home cook use.  And I cannot imagine a recipe for a homemade pecan pie that would call for 1 cup high-fructose corn syrup.  That makes me suspicious that (in this one instance, anyway) Eddy didn't know what he was talking about.

And, although I think Blue Ribbon or Steen's Cane Syrup is preferable, it's still all sugar.

Edited by Jaymes, 31 October 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#111 Quesmoy

Quesmoy
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

I am wanting to make a honey pecan pie, and I have found a view different recipes.  They all seem very similar, but some call for cooking the honey before adding the eggs and other ingredients and others just use the honey with no cooking.  Does anyone know which would be better?  Also, I was interested in adding the cranberries, as mentioned previously on this thread, and was wondering what would be a good ratio of Pecans to cranberries?

#112 andrewsmash

andrewsmash
  • general member
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:01 PM

Hey Jeannecake , great to know about your personal favorite recipe and yeah i had tried this recipe by your's method and really it works very well for me. Keep on sharing some others also.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert