Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Pecan Pie Topic

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#61 KarenS

KarenS
  • participating member
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:11 PM

Here's what I use:

9c corn syrup
4 1/2c white sugar
4 1/2c brown sugar
10 oz brown butter (browned with two vanilla beans)
24 yolks
12 whole eggs
1 1/2c Jack Daniels

Combine everything when you have it all together (don't let the sugar sit on the eggs and "burn" them- ther is so much sugar.

Bake convection 325 covered (with foil- I weight with knives), for 1 hour in a slightly under- blindbaked pie shell (I use cream cheese dough).
A ten inch tart pan, with one inch of dough above the pan will take about four cups of chopped nuts.

You will probably want to cut this by half; I make one a day, plus orders- this will last a week.

#62 skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk
  • participating member
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 04:16 PM

Anyone have pics of a slice they've made?
Some pecan pie slices will hold their shape---a butterscotch to caramel color. Others will eventually collapse into a syrup...
I would assume that the syrup recipes are the ones that collapse, but is there more too it? Is it the amount of eggs?

#63 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:46 AM

I would assume that the syrup recipes are the ones that collapse, but is there more too it?  Is it the amount of eggs?

Are you referring to corn syrup or maple syrup? Yes, the eggs make this a custard of sorts, so having enough makes a difference.

#64 skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk
  • participating member
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 01:49 PM

Are you referring to corn syrup or maple syrup? Yes, the eggs make this a custard of sorts, so having enough makes a difference.

View Post

[/quote]

yes, sorry the Karo syrup recipe... we tried the claire recipe--while good it's not what I was looking for.

thinking of going back to the Karo recipe but adding more eggs, but don't know how many or whether just to add more yolks only or whites only or more whole eggs or what...

I may end up eating 20 pecan pies before I find what I'm looking for!

#65 chefpeon

chefpeon
  • participating member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:48 PM

I may end up eating 20 pecan pies before I find what I'm looking for!

So, what ARE you looking for?

Epilogue to my above pecan pie soap opera.
Turns out I didn't get any pie orders for Thanksgiving (well, I did, but egos and politics
interfered-long story) so I stopped sweating the problem til I had time to tackle it again.

Today I made claire797's recipe again, and didn't try to melt the brown sugar this time.
Worked great, and it sure made the job easier! Not only that, but I added fresh cranberries
to it. 'Tis true, the tartness of the cranberries offsets the sweet pecan filling, and I think
it's superior to plain pecan pie.....not too sweet! The cranberries float on the top, so they
make the pie look prettier too.

I'm going to make a bunch of 3 inch pecan cranberry tarts for my husband's work
Xmas party next week!

#66 Richard Danzey

Richard Danzey
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:35 PM

<quote>

Hum............I'm wondering if what you want isn't a completely different recipe, not a classic pecan pie recipe. What about a pecan tassie recipe where it's mainly brown sugar and eggs................or a stove top cooked caramel poured and chilled in a pie shell?

Hi, Sinclair. I'm not familiar with the term 'tassie', and I haven't researched what it might mean yet. However, I wanted to get away from the 'custardy' quality that the eggs add to virtually every pecan pie repcipe out there. And Harold McGee suggested I reduce the egg ingredient. The 'custardy' was gone, but in it's place I got the thin runny quality to the filling, which, while improved by chilling still wasn't quite my goal.

In the 'good old days' (read When Mom was doing the cooking<G>), I remember an occasional pie where the filling was neither custard like, nor runny. It was as if the filling had undergone a 'brown' change that resulted in a very gummy sticky quality where the pecans ended up embedded in the filling and pretty much one had to chisel the pie out of the pan.

I'm not knowledgeable enough about cooking to know what the term is for the change or quality of the filling I'm after, but I suspect it may have to do with the behavior of sugar cooking in a candy-making-like situation. Unfortunately, it wasn't a sure fire occurence, and it's too late to ask Mom what she thinks about how to get that outcome. I always liked *any* pecan pie, and I guess lately I've just become interested in influencing how they come out.

For now, my plan is to reduce or eliminate the maple syrup, which I love on it's own, add in some Karo, but not the usual amounts, experiment with white and brown sugar, and light and dark Karo.

In case it hasn't become apparent, I'm diabetic, so Pecan Pie of any stripe has to be a seldom sort of thing. Due to an awful memory, I'm documenting a lot of what I'm doing so next year around holiday time, I can move on to a new variation, one that will bring me closer to the goal.

I've really enjoyed this thread, and I'm delighted that I found this forum--especially when I was given the opportunity to ask Mr. McGee how I might proceed. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. I bring a new appreciation to pecan pies, and I'm anticpating more discoveries, too...

danz

#67 chefpeon

chefpeon
  • participating member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:26 PM

In the 'good old days' (read When Mom was doing the cooking<G>), I remember an occasional pie where the filling was neither custard like, nor runny. It was as if the filling had undergone a 'brown' change that resulted in a very gummy sticky quality where the pecans ended up embedded in the filling and pretty much one had to chisel the pie out of the pan.

Like Wendy mentioned, I think all you have to do is make a stove top caramel and pour it over your toasted pecans in a blind baked pie shell. You'll definitely have a "stick to your teeth" caramely pecan fest!

This might best be done in a shallow tart shell rather than a deep pie shell. Just a thought.

#68 jayhay

jayhay
  • participating member
  • 280 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 10:43 AM

I really do believe it is the PERFECT pecan pie:

http://www.cooksillu...icleid=571#1354

View Post

Thanks for the link Elise. Made it for Christmas dinner last night, & everyone loved it.
I think it's the best pecan pie I've ever made, & I've tried MANY recipes over the years. :smile:

#69 twodogs

twodogs
  • participating member
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 05:36 PM

John Thorne's in simple cooking--just add some rum
h. alexander talbot
chef and author
Levittown, PA
ideasinfood

#70 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 12:41 PM

I made Claire's pecan pie yesterday, adding 2.5 tbsp of bourbon. It was great--my friend and I really enjoyed it. He prefers the thicker, denser type of filling (as opposed to the custardy type) and this pie was great. (Really easy to put together too--what a bonus!) :smile: Thanks for posting, Claire!

#71 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:36 PM

I just made the pecan pie from Cook's Illustrated. The filling is slightly sticker/more custardy than Claire's recipe, but it is still very dense (only 2 eggs in the recipe). It's also less sweet than Claire's pie. I think I prefer Claire's recipe....that browned butter really makes the pie special.

Edited by Ling, 26 May 2005 - 01:37 PM.

#72 jayhay

jayhay
  • participating member
  • 280 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:14 AM

I used Claire's recipe last night & it was a huge hit with everyone at our Canadian Thanksgiving dinner table. I've made many pecan pie recipes over this years, & this is one of the best. Thanks Claire!

Edited by jayhay, 11 October 2005 - 09:16 AM.

#73 ruthcooks

ruthcooks
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:47 PM

If Richard Danzey is still looking for that caramelized nut pie, I've just remembered a recipe we sometimes served at one of my restaurants (I'll PM him). It was called Engadine Torte and was basically a caramel and nut tart made of caramelized sugar, cream and nuts, named for an area in Switzerland.

Very rich and yummy, you'll find a recipe for it here: Engadine Torte

This is not the recipe we used, but that cookbook is not accessible to me at this time.

(Edited to add: scroll down, it's on the right side below another recipe.)

Edited by ruthcooks, 11 October 2005 - 09:55 PM.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

#74 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:23 AM

If Richard Danzey is still looking for that caramelized nut pie, I've just remembered a recipe we sometimes served at one of my restaurants (I'll PM him).  It was called Engadine Torte and was basically a caramel and nut tart made of caramelized sugar, cream and nuts, named for an area in Switzerland.

View Post

Thank you very much for linking to this recipe, ruthcooks.

I once had an Engadine Torte with walnuts in Switzerland which I very much enjoyed but I did not have a recipe. I had temporarily forgotton about it too, until I saw your post! This will be a great torte to make for autumn.
"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#75 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 11:50 AM

I still like Claire's recipe a lot, but I've modified another pecan pie recipe that I like a little bit more. I'll post it when I get home. It's more custardy and has fewer chopped pecans, which I prefer. :smile:

#76 jayhay

jayhay
  • participating member
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:26 PM

Thanks Ling, I'll be looking for your recipe.

The only change I made to Claire's recipe (because supply was low), was to use about 1/2 cup coarse light brown cane sugar, as well as 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, for the 2 cups brown called for. The cane sugar gave the pie a nice crunch, almost like toffee bits had been added....might do it again.

#77 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:19 PM

I put the recipe in Recipe Gullet until Maple Pecan pie.

I should clarify--it's not better than Claire's, it's different. I think you would like the maple pecan pie recipe if you like custardy pecan pies. :smile:

#78 highchef

highchef
  • participating member
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:55 AM

I would add that the pecan crop was pretty devestated by the hurricanes and if you are interested in making pecan pies you may want to pick some up now, while they are available. I bought 2lbs shelled yesterday and paid 15$ for them...which, honestly is about what they were at the hight of the holdiay season last year. This is not going to be enough, but I have some in the freezer. They're due to expire sometime in 06, but they'll be in pies by then. If you want to stock up, freeze them (air tight is best, but freezer bags work well too. Cooks did a comparison on the freezer bags and found that the blue one's, not the double ones worked best. I think they're ziplocs...not sure)

#79 melonpan

melonpan
  • participating member
  • 753 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:32 PM

Pecan Pie

3/4 cup butter
2 cups light brown sugar, packed
3 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2  teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups pecan pieces
9 inch unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large skillet, toast pecans.  Remove from skillet.

Add butter to skillet and heat over medium until browned.  Reduce heat and stir in brown sugar.  Let brown sugar melt a bit and turn off heat.  Let cool for about 5 minutes.

In a separate bowl, mix eggs, salt and vanilla.  Stir in butter/sugar mixture and pecans.  Pour into unbaked pie shell Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

made this three days ago exactly as posted (im a stickler whenever i make something the first time). yumms! and i love how simple it is to make. i always kind of hated schlepping out to the grocery to get corn syrup bc i never have it...

i wil be making this next week again with a cookie bar base to make pecan bars instead of a pie.

its really nice how simplified this recipe is and how nice it turns out. thank you claire.

(also i may add cranberries to the bars, as that sounds like a really nice variation, but i leave that to the last minute. the original recipe is a definite keeper.)

claire, do you know where this recipe comes from?
"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

#80 Richard Danzey

Richard Danzey
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 07:17 PM

Hello, again, everyone. I just followed up on Ruth's suggested recipe, and it looks like a winner. I may be wrong, but I don't think it's anything like the recipe my Mom used. But I have an excellent imagination, and the Engadine Torte will be fun.

My Dad experienced tortes while in Europe (Belgium) during WWII. However, I believe a torte, for him, meant cake baked in very many thin layers, with icing between and around. Can't remember anything more specific than that. Is 'torte' a word that refers to many different kinds of dessert? Many thanks for the wonderful contributions to this thread. Regards...

danz

If Richard Danzey is still looking for that caramelized nut pie, I've just remembered a recipe we sometimes served at one of my restaurants (I'll PM him).  It was called Engadine Torte and was basically a caramel and nut tart made of caramelized sugar, cream and nuts, named for an area in Switzerland.

Very rich and yummy, you'll find a recipe for it here:  Engadine Torte

This is not the recipe we used, but that cookbook is not accessible to me at this time.

(Edited to add:  scroll down, it's on the right side below another recipe.)

View Post

#81 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:04 PM

My Dad experienced tortes while in Europe (Belgium) during WWII.  However, I believe a torte, for him, meant cake baked in very many thin layers, with icing between and around.  Can't remember anything more specific than that.  Is 'torte' a word that refers to many different kinds of dessert?  Many thanks for the wonderful contributions to this thread.  Regards...

danz

Check out these two previous threads for discussion on the definition of a torte:
click1 and click2

I think the Engadiner Torte is more like a tart with a top crust. I'm not sure if there is a word equivalent for 'tart' in German. Witness "Linzer Torte" which is also very much a tart...
"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#82 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:17 AM

The pecan tree is the state tree of Texas, so pecan pies are a Lone Star State classic. Does anyone know if any version is particularly prevalent in or native to Texas?

#83 Swisskaese

Swisskaese
  • legacy participant
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:53 AM

The pecan tree is the state tree of Texas, so pecan pies are a Lone Star State classic. Does anyone know if any version is particularly prevalent in or native to Texas?

View Post

This recipe. Dean Fearing is the chef at the Mansion at Turtle Creek in Dallas. This recipe is very good.

Edited by Swisskaese, 24 October 2005 - 03:54 AM.

#84 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:45 AM

This recipe. Dean Fearing is the chef at the Mansion at Turtle Creek in Dallas. This recipe is very good.

View Post

Awesome. I've heard great things about the Mansion, though I have never been.

I'll definitely try out his recipe soon, but am interested in experimenting with adding bourbon. Can anyone recommend how much to add or any other adjustments that will be necessary?

#85 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:00 PM

I add 3 tbsp to a 9" pie.

#86 claire797

claire797
  • participating member
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:34 AM

Pecan Pie

3/4 cup butter
2 cups light brown sugar, packed
3 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2  teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups pecan pieces
9 inch unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large skillet, toast pecans.  Remove from skillet.

Add butter to skillet and heat over medium until browned.  Reduce heat and stir in brown sugar.  Let brown sugar melt a bit and turn off heat.  Let cool for about 5 minutes.

In a separate bowl, mix eggs, salt and vanilla.  Stir in butter/sugar mixture and pecans.  Pour into unbaked pie shell Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

made this three days ago exactly as posted (im a stickler whenever i make something the first time). yumms! and i love how simple it is to make. i always kind of hated schlepping out to the grocery to get corn syrup bc i never have it...

i wil be making this next week again with a cookie bar base to make pecan bars instead of a pie.

its really nice how simplified this recipe is and how nice it turns out. thank you claire.

(also i may add cranberries to the bars, as that sounds like a really nice variation, but i leave that to the last minute. the original recipe is a definite keeper.)

claire, do you know where this recipe comes from?

View Post

Melonpan, thanks for making my pie. The recipe is one I've played around with for a long time. It's a combination of a few recipes from old Junior League books, so there is not one specific source. It was my idea to toast the pecans and brown the butter, though I've seen a lot of other people doing the same thing over the past few years, so it's not like it was anything brilliant or super-creative ;). It does make a heck of a difference in the end result.

#87 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:06 PM

I just tried Dean Fearing's recipe, but substituting both sugars with Billington's dark molasses sugar. I baked it for 45 minutes as per the recipe, didn't do a proper toothpick test, let it cool and it turned out fine except it oozes. Looking at a cross-section of the pie, the top half has changed color but the bottom is still a dark brown and not solid.

What did I do wrong? I'm guessing I didn't bake it long enough. Was the substitution of more brown sugar for granulated sugar at fault? What is the purpose of the granulated sugar? Does the nature of the Billington's molasses have anything to do with it?

#88 claire797

claire797
  • participating member
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:06 PM

What did I do wrong? I'm guessing I didn't bake it long enough. Was the substitution of more brown sugar for granulated sugar at fault?

View Post

Well, this is coming from a complete pastry hack, so take it as you wish -- but my recipe is all brown sugar and doesn't ooze at all. Sounds like either it was undercooked or there weren't enough eggs. Did you maybe use small eggs?

#89 butterscotch

butterscotch
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:05 PM

I got pretty much all the ingredients, not the muscavado which I have to find out what it is first!!, but...i do have the fabulous Dufours pate sucre crust and a huge shipment of Georgia pecans......
but I'm hoping to make something a tad less gooey and one dimensional than the typical corn syrup version... this thinking brought me to this no corn syrup version which has the unusual additions of a little flour and milk:

http://allrecipes.co...e-V/Detail.aspx

except for the fact it's an ugly pie, it did get raves, but again, it's darned ugly. Ayone ever have this? Sounds a bit cookie/ blondieish....
So I looked some more and found this bloggers final version which has butter and brown sugar and a bit less corn syrup than usual and looks just gorgeous:

http://appetitivebeh...ii-we-have.html

then I saw it's just a souped up gooey classic so I looked at that bloggers earlier attempts and saw how she tried a really interesting version by Thomas Keller with molasses and bourbon and muscavado sugar (?!) which she botched (sounds undercooked) but sounds tasty all right....

http://nymag.com/res...es/pecanpie.htm

So for my fist attempt, do I add a little flour and milk to the Thomas Keller version- and maybe use Lyles Golden or Barley sugar syrup instead of the dreaded Karo? (Confession: I have been hoarding anything but Karo syrups for just this occasion) I also have Turbinado, can I sub this for the muscavado sugar?

Can I just put in less filling to get less goo? And the blindbaking the crust, the jury it seems is still out on that one, any suggestions?

I also saw some toffee and butterscoth versions but nothing that seemed really tasty although of course, I love that idea!
C'mon gulleteers! These pecans are burning a hole in my cupboard and I'm scared!
:shock:

#90 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:36 PM

Everyone will have their personal favorite, and mine comes from the Pie and Pastry Bible by RLB. She bakes it in a tart pan, rather than a pie pan so the filling is less deep (fine by me but because it is so good, I wish there were more of it or bigger pieces!) So if you're thinking you'd like to try another version, I'd go with that one.

It is basically yolks, brown sugar, lyle's golden syrup (or dark karo syrup but it is far better with the Lyle's), cream, salt, butter cooked on the stovetop then poured over toasted pecans in a pre-baked shell, baked for 30 or so minutes. The top gets "foamy" and starts to settle down toward the end of the baking period so all you're left with are glossy pecans which you can scribble all over with dark chocolate if you want, or you can add cocoa to the filling and go for a chocolate version.

If you need the recipe from that book, PM me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert