Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend

Confections

• Please log in to reply
416 replies to this topic

#61 lamb

lamb
  • participating member
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 05:00 AM

Tootsie Rolls! :biggrin:

#62 GordonCooks

GordonCooks
  • participating member
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 05:35 AM

No. I'm a female with no chocolate gene at all. And concentrated sugar disgusts me. A dry wine or sake is sweet enough. More than that and feh.

But, really. Steak slices to go go go.

You must have some Asian blood in you. My mom was the same way until her kidney transplant - not it's krispy kremes, cinnamon rolls, and blueberry muffins

#63 researchgal

researchgal
  • legacy participant
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 05:47 AM

cadbury flake when I can find it

Chunkie--haven't thought about those in years, they were good! Do they still make them?

#64 foodgeek

foodgeek
  • participating member
  • 561 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 05:58 AM

I'm not much into bars (although I sued to eat those those joyva chocolate covered jelly bars and chocolate covered halvah bars) but I do like upscale chocolate, mainly dark or bittersweet. Not crazy about milk chocolate, and don't like white chocolate.

Working with people who frequesnly visit Europe gives me occasional access to some interesting sweets. there was a box of Maxin's Of Paris chocolates in the office last week, but i wasn't crazy about it.
-Jason

#65 Simon Majumdar

Simon Majumdar
  • legacy participant
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 06:02 AM

cadbury flake when I can find it

Chunkie--haven't thought about those in years, they were good!  Do they still make them?

I have to mule in boxes of goodies to the US whenever I come over

Last week when I came in I got a bemused look from Customs ( after two hours waiting to get through immigration - you Americans must be soooo proud of Kennedy Airport ) as they pulled out two boxes, one filled with Flake, Ripples and Flake Twists - white and dark chocolate AND a huge box of Crunchie bars " Thank Crunchie it's Friday"

The one Chocolate I love which I can't get in the UK is an Australian "crunchie style" honeycomb bar called Violet Crumbles.

S

#66 Gavin Jones

Gavin Jones
  • participating member
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 06:10 AM

I have to mule in boxes of goodies to the US whenever I come over

Last week when I came in I got a bemused look from Customs ... as they pulled out two boxes, one filled with Flake, Ripples and Flake Twists -

Though I recall the popular fellatio imagery in the advertising I'd never previously thought anyone would have to encase them them in condoms to get past US customs. My deepest respect.
Wilma squawks no more

#67 Simon Majumdar

Simon Majumdar
  • legacy participant
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 06:14 AM

If it wasn't for cavity searches, I would have no sex life at all

S

#68 researchgal

researchgal
  • legacy participant
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 06:16 AM

...Flake, Ripples and Flake Twists - white and dark chocolate AND a huge box of Crunchie bars " Thank Crunchie it's Friday"

The one Chocolate I love which I can't get in the UK is an Australian "crunchie style" honeycomb bar called Violet Crumbles. 

S

Yummm...I had NO idea there were so many crunchy options. Violet Crumbles sounds divine! I may need to google it and see what I can find!

#69 Simon Majumdar

Simon Majumdar
  • legacy participant
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 06:19 AM

See below

Christ and they say British food is bad

S

http://www.homesick....les/default.htm

#70 researchgal

researchgal
  • legacy participant
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 06:26 AM

Yup, just found that site, too.

Too bad you have order all that other junk just to try a Violet Crumbles! :angry:

#71 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 07:10 AM

Chunkie--haven't thought about those in years, they were good!  Do they still make them?

Oh yes indeedy!

Aside: when I lived in Jerusalem I worked at an institute for Jewish Studies, and many of the students were from the States. During the Gulf War period, there were fewer than the regular number of applications for that January semester. As D-Day drew nearer, the American office kept sending silly messages like, "Can we help you in any way?" or "Can we do anything for you?" Our pat answer was: "Yes -- send chocolate!" And one day, in the middle of the damned war, this new kid walks into the office with a huge plastic bag filled with -- M&M's (plain and peanuts), Kitkats, Mounds bars, Hershey's kisses, you name it, it was in there. And it helped, oh boy did it help! :biggrin:

#72 Suzanne F

Suzanne F
  • legacy participant
  • 7,398 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 07:30 AM

For those Anglosucrophiles in or around NYC: Devon & Blakely carries a variety of Cadbury's, the real thing. Only in cool weather, though.

Back to the survey: Milky Way, but only the dark chocolate version. Is the mocha version still around?

#73 hollywood

hollywood
  • participating member
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 07:55 AM

It's always been mars bar. :smile:

Yes..till I found Scharfenberger.
I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

#74 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 08:25 AM

For those Anglosucrophiles in or around NYC: Devon & Blakely carries a variety of Cadbury's, the real thing.  Only in cool weather, though.

Back to the survey: Milky Way, but only the dark chocolate version.  Is the mocha version still around?

I still have my Cadburys craving.... Strange.. since I hate most all mass produced chocolate these days. But if I see cadburys somewhere, I get a glitter in my eye.. and whoever is near me, knows I am craving chocolate... I come home with far too many bars.. and once I begin eating them, after half a bar is over, I am already sick of it. But next time I see the bars in a store, I am that little kid in the candy store than wants everything.

#75 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 08:41 AM

...Flake, Ripples and Flake Twists - white and dark chocolate AND a huge box of Crunchie bars " Thank Crunchie it's Friday"

S

Yummm...I had NO idea there were so many crunchy options. Violet Crumbles sounds divine! I may need to google it and see what I can find!

I've seen Violet Crumble in drug and variety stores all over the Seattle area. Which means it should be easy to find in the US. Or you can order it on-line here.

#76 researchgal

researchgal
  • legacy participant
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 10:17 AM

S

I've seen Violet Crumble in drug and variety stores all over the Seattle area. Which means it should be easy to find in the US. Or you can order it on-line here.

Thanks, night!

#77 Stephanie

Stephanie
  • legacy participant
  • 330 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 10:46 AM

While I like certain "commercial" US candy bars, all my favorites are either upscale dark chocolate or British. Mmmm....chunky Kit Kats, orange Aero bars, Time Outs, Lions.......

#78 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 11:08 AM

While I like certain "commercial" US candy bars, all my favorites are either upscale dark chocolate or British.  Mmmm....chunky Kit Kats, orange Aero bars, Time Outs, Lions.......

British Kit Kats are so much better.. I love one every now and then.

#79 tissue

tissue
  • participating member
  • 765 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 11:32 AM

No. I'm a female with no chocolate gene at all. And concentrated sugar disgusts me. A dry wine or sake is sweet enough. More than that and feh.

But, really. Steak slices to go go go.

Jin,

I'm sort of like you. I LOVE STEAK! Love all types of meat and despise overcooked meat... I find myself eating large quantities of meat all the time. Some friends were telling me about Atkins diet, I thought, wait a minute, I already eat like this.

However, I must admit to a weakness for chocolate souffle though.... although, unlike steak, I can't eat that everyday.

#80 Simon Majumdar

Simon Majumdar
  • legacy participant
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 12:21 PM

While I like certain "commercial" US candy bars, all my favorites are either upscale dark chocolate or British.  Mmmm....chunky Kit Kats, orange Aero bars, Time Outs, Lions.......

British Kit Kats are so much better.. I love one every now and then.

The Kit Kat is made under licence in the US, so I am not sure why it taste so different. But it really does. I love the new White chocolate one

S

#81 Wilfrid

Wilfrid
  • legacy participant
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 12:39 PM

Funnily enough, I ate a kit kat in Canada earlier this week. It was a bit warm and soggy, but the taste was as I remembered. I thought for a moment it was smaller than they used to be, but on reflection it may be that I am bigger. A very nice "candy bar" and perfect for tea dunking, so long as it starts out cool and firm.

#82 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 01:33 PM

Wilfred, I'm leaving for Canada in a couple of days. I'll remember to do the KitKat comparison test.

U.S.A.: Almond Joy
Canada: Coffee Crisp or Cadbury's Fruit and Nut.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#83 aaustin

aaustin
  • participating member
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 03:09 PM

Caramello! Those things are awesome. I like Twix too. And Mounds--love that coconut filling.
Maltballs are good too...especially when they're double-dipped in chocolate. You know, malt is underrated, in my opinion. A good chocolate malt is pretty damn terrific.

#84 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 03:12 PM

Caramello! Those things are awesome. I like Twix too. And Mounds--love that coconut filling.
Maltballs are good too...especially when they're double-dipped in chocolate. You know, malt is underrated, in my opinion. A good chocolate malt is pretty damn terrific.

I used to love the Cadburrys malt ball sold in India. Nothing has ever compared and come even close.
Also they sold an item called "Nutties" , it was my favorit sweet.

#85 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 03:13 PM

Toblerone. :wink: :rolleyes: :raz:

#86 Nick

Nick
  • legacy participant
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 03:15 PM

Don't eat sweets - haven't for a long time. I go with Jinmyo. Except, I like to take a very thin slice of roast beef and roll it around a small piece of dill pickle and swiss cheese. Also, sausage made by a friend that I've smoked myself. Though the latter is so tasty, and not good for one in quantity, I've pretty much given it up.

#87 awbrig

awbrig
  • legacy participant
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 03:17 PM

I found SKOR today at my grocery store, but ended up getting another bar of Heath...

#88 hollywood

hollywood
  • participating member
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 03:19 PM

Actually, Candy Barr was pretty hot in her day.
I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

#89 Suvir Saran

Suvir Saran
  • legacy participant
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 03:33 PM

I found SKOR today at my grocery store, but ended up getting another bar of Heath...

I found neither at mine.
Rub it in... you are perverse I have realized. You are doing this to make me feel badly.. :angry:

Enjoy the heath... you are a lucky man. :smile:

#90 awbrig

awbrig
  • legacy participant
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 03:53 PM

Im sorry Suvir... Im not trying to rub it in...I really hope you can find them soon!

I also am thankful you have turned me on to these...again...Thx!

:smile:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections