Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend

Confections

• Please log in to reply
416 replies to this topic

#31 jhlurie

jhlurie
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 12:56 PM

Here are some new odd confections I've found...

Honees - I just can't get enough of these... they are basically high quality honey in a candy shell.  Varieties include Basic Honey-filled, Honey/Menthol/Eucalyptus and Milk-N-Honees.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Another new one--although for a change I can't find a picture on the web of it--is a new product from Brachs.  Chocolate and White Fudge Covered Caramel Corn.  Three or Four of these have the fat/calorie equivalent of... geez.  I don't know.  It's a lot.  The Fudge is really thick, not just a dusting like you get with some Fudge covered Pretzels.
Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

#32 Liza

Liza
  • legacy participant
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 09:19 AM

I'm trying to remember what these things were: baseball bats made of taffy? I think I had them at summer camp in the 70s. Something on a stick, with baseball language. I need help.

#33 col klink

col klink
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 10:31 AM

Last week I found a new candy to die for.  It's called Pocky and it's a Japanese candy that is starting to do well in the States.  It's basically a long pretzel that is dipped in coatings.  Here's a lineup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

But my favorite is Pocky for Men:

Posted Image

I have NO idea why they apply a gender to the chocolate Pocky, but they did.  I am not aware of Pocky for Women.

#34 Malawry

Malawry
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 10:32 AM

Hey Liza, I think I remember something like that. Were they called B-Bats? And did they come in many colors, I mean flavors?  :)

I ate a lot of Fun Dip in the late 70s-early 80s.

#35 cabrales

cabrales
  • legacy participant
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 10:53 AM

I like mini lychee jelly cups. The cups are each about 1/2 the size of one's pinky, are made of plastic, and are peeled open like single serving cream containers. Then, there is a bit of light syrup that allows the capsule of jelly (with a piece of lychee suspended inside) glide into one's mouth. They're usually found in Chinatown, and also come in flavors like green apple, mango etc. I like them refridgerated.

http://www.crackseed...jelly_cups.html (not depicting the better brand)

http://www.safetyale...02/f0000162.htm
(FDA indicated candies should not be offered to children and the elderly, due to choking risks)

#36 Liza

Liza
  • legacy participant
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 10:55 AM

That's it! I remember banana flavor. Fun dip - was that a stick of sugar used to scoop up more sugar? No wonder we loved playing running bases.
I think we should start a camp food thread somewhere.  . .

#37 Malawry

Malawry
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 11:05 AM

Yeah, with Fun Dip you got a hard sugar stick and one, two, or three packets of colored sugar with citric acid or some such to make it tart. I ate mostly one-packet Fun Dips because that's what they sold at the snack bar by the pool where I swam as a kid. The three-packet ones came with TWO sugar sticks! Then they started making "color changing" sugars that were pink until they came in contact with liquid (ie, your saliva) when they turned blue.

Once I reminisced about Fun Dip to my partner Erin, and he confessed he'd loved it as a kid too. A week or so later I went into one of those Sweet Factory stores on a whim and lo and behold, they sold three-packet Fun Dip! I bought two of them and brought them home. Erin ripped into his and immediately declared it the most disgusting thing he'd put in his mouth in years (and I don't mean gleefully disgusting, I mean disgusting disgusting). I couldn't even bring myself to taste mine after hearing that. Wah.

Candy is the campiest of campy food. I mean it's the most overwhelmingly campy category of food. Even campier than Velveeta.

#38 Liza

Liza
  • legacy participant
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 11:14 AM

Oh I meant camp as in summer camp! I went to a Quaker camp in the Pinebarrens of NJ so I might have had weird summer camp food.
Bug juice, anyone?

#39 jhlurie

jhlurie
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 02:16 PM

Last week I found a new candy to die for.  It's called Pocky

Posted Image

I've seen this one in New York.  Is pink a gender identifying color in Japan?  If so, maybe the strawberry Pocky is "for women", whatever that means.

Or not.
Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

#40 jhlurie

jhlurie
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 01:09 PM

A new weird item.  Can Ritz and Smores ingredients work together?  I have no idea... I just spotted this.

Ritz Bits Smores: Click here ("work" warning: includes audio)
Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

#41 Sandra Levine

Sandra Levine
  • participating member
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 04:12 PM

I like mini lychee jelly cups

I'm shocked, shocked!  I shall have to reconsider everything you've ever said about food. :biggrin:

#42 cabrales

cabrales
  • legacy participant
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 05:06 PM

Sandra -- Reconsider, as in giving me brownie points for liking lychee jelly cups? :wink:

When I next go shopping for food in Chinatown, I am going to bring a wheelie "cabin luggage"-type bag (a less sophisticated version of the Perlows' cart for the sausages). I am going to stock up on all sorts of things.

#43 Sandra Levine

Sandra Levine
  • participating member
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 05:14 PM

Well, it certainly brings you down to earth. :raz:  I've always thought your tastes were more, shall we say...elevated.  Not that there's anything wrong with lychee jelly cups. :smile:

#44 cabrales

cabrales
  • legacy participant
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 05:24 PM

Sandra -- I've mentioned that I like Campbell's soup and Lean Cuisine (esp. sphaghetti with meatballs, for some reason, although I try to add some spicing to it) too.  :wink:  I often eat at my employer's cafeteria (which is alright as far as cafeterias go), and just ate Chicken McNuggets (hot mustard sauce, or mild mustard as they might call it in the UK) with piping hot fries today. Then, for dinner, I had delivery of some alright tempura prawns. :wink:

#45 Sandra Levine

Sandra Levine
  • participating member
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 05:37 PM

You are truly multi-faceted. :smile: Really -- you are always full of surprises.

#46 B Edulis

B Edulis
  • legacy participant
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 03:37 AM

Pocky is fabulous. Keep your eye out for "tea" flavored Pocky -- chocolate and Earl Grey! And then there's "Man" Pocky -- begging the question, for? or tastes like?

There's a French book titled Les Bonbecs written by my friend Alexandre Reverend that artfully depicts a fabulous collection of Euro and Amero candy including "Les Gelatines," "Les Caramels," "Le Gadgets," "Les Poudres," and other fun categories.

#47 wingding

wingding
  • legacy participant
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 07:16 AM

Last week I found a new candy to die for.  It's called Pocky and it's a Japanese candy that is starting to do well in the States.  It's basically a long pretzel that is dipped in coatings.  Here's a lineup:

Posted Image

Are you kidding?Look at this package...pull this out of your pocky,and it's bound to impress....

#48 Jinmyo

Jinmyo
  • participating member
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 07:33 PM

No chocky bars, steak.

Really.

I slice it sashimi thin and usually wind up with 4 or 6 slicesleft in foil in the fridge. Starving? Couple of slices of steak, dab of wasabi or horseradish or Dijon.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

#49 awbrig

awbrig
  • legacy participant
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 07:36 PM

jin...you steak freak! :raz:

sometimes you need chocolate but dont have any Jean Georges Flourless Vahlrona Molten Chocolate Cakes around w an Almond Tuile...then whaddya gonna do?!? its Whatchamacallit Time!

#50 Jinmyo

Jinmyo
  • participating member
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 07:41 PM

No. I'm a female with no chocolate gene at all. And concentrated sugar disgusts me. A dry wine or sake is sweet enough. More than that and feh.

But, really. Steak slices to go go go.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#51 awbrig

awbrig
  • legacy participant
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 07:43 PM

Cmon, no chocolate...you're killing me...nothing sweet...do you like champagne even? :unsure:

#52 Jinmyo

Jinmyo
  • participating member
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 08:00 PM

Champagne not so much. A few sips are fine, and then with best beluga for me to enjoy it for a few seconds, but I'd really prefer a good frozen vodka. And insist on one after another sip.

(I know Special K does not understand this but hope he forgives me, but desserts disgust me. A sorbet is only of interest if it's savoury and melded with the other courses.)

Anyway I know, I'm a bad person for not liking sweets of course, of course. I know this and live burdened with this knowledge like Cain marked above the beezer. I didn't mean to interrupt the topic. Was just being sociable.

#53 awbrig

awbrig
  • legacy participant
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 08:19 PM

what kind of steak, and how do you cook it...

We have steak once a week and what I do...

prime filet from Omaha Steaks Private reserve(very expensive...but good 6 for 90$) or prime from Whole Foods and I sear it w high heat in sautee pan and then fininsh in oven for med rare...serve w port rosemary sauce...better than sex...ok maybe not, but close... :laugh:

#54 bigbear

bigbear
  • participating member
  • 923 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 08:49 PM

Mounds.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

#55 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 10:04 PM

I never used to eat chocolate, but after having kids I crave it close to every day. I usually reach for M&M's, but if I go for a candy bar it will be a Kit Kat. My favorite bar of all times though was the Summit bar, it was out for a short time in the '80's, sometimes I still dream about it!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"
Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#56 jaybee

jaybee
  • legacy participant
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 10:20 PM

My all time favorite candy is Viennese Butter Crunch. I can never go through O'hare withoout buying a bagful at one of those Aunty whatever candy shoppees.

Commercial candy bars I avoid, but Almond Joys will get me in a pinch.

#57 Simon Majumdar

Simon Majumdar
  • legacy participant
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 04:14 AM

Posted also on the English Toffee thread, but thought it was relevant here

S

In between bouts of drug induced sleep on the flight back from the US on Sunday, I caught a glimpse of a programme about a firm that sells goodie bags of candies ( that's sweets to us on the civilised side of the pond ) from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Things that are now very hard to find and in some cases ( sky bars - I think ) some that have only one machine still making them so are very limited.

Now I think most US sweets are pretty grim ( No Spangles, no Lucky Dips, no Sherbet Fountains, no Sky Ray Lollies = No life ) but I thought, given the age demographic of our US contingent, you may be interested to see.

Here's the link

http://www.groovycandies.com/
S

#58 Brija

Brija
  • legacy participant
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 04:32 AM

It's always been mars bar. :smile:

#59 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 04:51 AM

Chunkies.

#60 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 04:55 AM

I'm also a woman with no chocolate gene and I eat very few sweet things. Steak is my number one food to eat. When I want junk food, it's chips.
Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections