Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
455 replies to this topic

#451 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

Late on this one… just finished Michael Pollan's "Cooked" and enjoyed it very much.

And though it's really a philosophical and autobiographical text, I've dogeared some pages to refer to in the kitchen.

#452 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:16 PM

Patrick,
That one is on my radar and on my wish list.

Much as I enjoy my Kindle not all books are available in that format. Using some broad devious rationalization involving a gift certificate I placed an order between Christmas and New Year's for four books. I have been waiting anxiously for any one or all of them to arrive. Today these two showed up.

image.jpg

On the plus side both of them are printed on matte paper a boon for those of us who like to pencil notes in the margins. On the minus side I obviously rushed the ordering process and ended up with the US editions. Damn. That means both have been translated from weight-based to volume-based with all the annoyance and likely errors that entails.

Still many of the recipes are available online through the BBC which retains weight as a preferred unit of measurement.

I am currently stuck into the Kitchen Diaries. I am trying hard to read slowly savouring each word, each sentence as one might savour a box of really good chocolates. I want it to last. I have a long stretch of time ahead of me when the only intelligent being I am likely to run into will be Nigel Slater and/or Diana Henry speaking to me from the pages of their books.

I am not even 20 pages into the Kitchen Diaries and already there are three or four dishes I want to make. They are not even worthy of being called recipes. They just reflect the way I have begun to cook in the last little while making use of what is on hand and no longer adhering to anyone else's idea of what constitutes a "proper meal".

Some potatoes thinly sliced and cooked with some onion and garlic and finally topped with whatever melty cheese is on hand. Roasted mushrooms with garlic cream cheese served up on a bun like a hamburger. Simple food simply made.

I had some Slater books a while back. They didn't speak to me then at all. I parcelled them up and sent them off to another eG member who had expressed an interest. It must've been the wrong time of my life. Then I had delusions of cooking from the French Laundry and similar complicated restaurant books. Now I know to read such books and enjoy them but acknowledge that I will never, ever cook from them and not feel guilty about it.
  • barolo and Smithy like this
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Never call a stomach a tummy without good reason.” William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#453 BKEats

BKEats
  • participating member
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

Saucier's Apprentice. 

#454 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

Saucier's Apprentice. 

Which one?  Raymond Sokolov's Saucier's Apprentice is one of my favorite cookbooks.

• gfweb likes this

#455 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:01 AM

Which one?  Raymond Sokolov's Saucier's Apprentice is one of my favorite cookbooks.

Mine too! It was a gift from my best friend and I should dig it out again and reread it.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Never call a stomach a tummy without good reason.” William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#456 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:40 PM

Mine too! It was a gift from my best friend and I should dig it out again and reread it.

I happened to have my copy out because I have recently anovaed two chicken breasts:  one which I am having tonight as chicken tetrazzini and the other of which is destined for poulet vallee d' auge -- for which I need to prepare sauce allemande.  Some of my fondest memories from the 1970's are from reading Sokolov's culinary columns in Natural History magazine.

I wish I had friends like yours.

Back on topic, tonight I am starting on Blumenthal's Fat Duck.