Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Lyon

• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#241 Commentator

Commentator
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:10 AM

I was very impressed with L'Ourson qui boit when I went in November.

#242 Andrew

Andrew
  • participating member
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

I'd be interested in any up to date recommendations for 'fine' dining in Lyon. There seems to be a good selection of starred restaurants to choose from so any suggestions for a 3 day trip would be appreciated.

Andrew

#243 thock

thock
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

I don't know about starred restaurants, but in September, I was in Lyon for a day, with my partner, and we stopped at a bouchon, Café Comptoir chez Sylvie, on rue Tupin. We had a wonderful meal.
Tracy
Lenexa, KS, USA

#244 Andrew

Andrew
  • participating member
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

In the end I've booked to go to Paul Bocuse, La Mere Brazier and Auberge de l'ile.

I'll report back!
Andrew

#245 Andrew

Andrew
  • participating member
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

A three day trip, three restaurants and seven stars. Paul was three of these stars and (unfortunately) the worst meal of the three.

Auberge de L'lie

Auberge de l'lie is on a small island in the most amazing setting. The building is wonderful and the surrounding old abbey enchanting. The stone walls off set by crisp white linen, a simple and tasteful flower and stunning single candle.

A selection of menus appeared and I opted for the tasting menu but ask to skip one of the courses (a fish dish) as this was lunch! While I was sipping my drink and reading the menus some lightly fried vegetables appeared. These were a cross between tempura and crisps. They were crisp, salty and fresh. An interesting start. Next up were a couple of canapés. One a thin slice of apple with black pudding and the other a square of fried polenta with cheese and truffle which was particularly tasty.

The started was a sweet onion and truffle tart. The onion the sweetest I've every tasted which stood up well to the wafer thinly sliced mushroom and truffle on a crisp puff pastry base.

The main course was chicken stuffed with foie gras and mushroom. A well executed and good main course. I was then offered an additional taster of a signature dish. A mushroom cappuccino which was a rich mushroom velouté with foie gras and a milk foam. It had a rich, creamy flavour with an intensity not often tasted. An excellent dish.

A good selection of cheese followed before moving onto dessert.

With the pre dessert some really good macaroons were served.

A pre dessert of a mini crepe suzette was fine but nothing special. The main dessert was mandarin soufflé with a saffron ice cream, it had a good flavour with the mandarin flavour infused throughout the mixture. Unfortunately the soufflé was a little to eggy and came close be being warm, mandarin flavoured scrambled egg. An ok end to a good meal.

With coffee some freshly prepared marshmallow and fruit jellies.

With a glass of champagne, matching wines, coffee and a bottle of still water the total bill was €206. Far better food than Paul Boucousse and over a €100 a head cheaper!

The service, building and food were all good and well worth a visit. My main complaint was the cost of the water! Generally I would expect to pay €6 for a bottle of still. Here it was an eye watering €12. I'm not sure anything can justify that mark up.

Mere Brazier

Next up was the two star Mere Brazier.

Once in the restaurant you could be in any top class restaurant in the world. The room was tastefully decorated in blue and beiges and the linen a crisp brilliant white.

On arrival a glass of champagne arrived which was served with some delicious mini 'cakes' with lardons and a cream of tomato dipping sauce.

An unusual but excellent amuse bouche followed. It was described as potato, creme fraiche, salmon caviar and lobster bisque.

The first course of the tasting menu was foie gras, truffle and celery soup with truffle pot au feu. The flavours were excellent and the execution and presentation spot on, a dish that worked because of the top quality ingredients.

Next up was an unexpected dish which did just did not work for me. It looked stunning but the taste was just not to my linking, it was slightly 'slimy'.

Next up was the most superb tasting scallop dish. The scallops were perfectly cooked and came with a lemon confit and cabbage. Each flavour worked individually and came together as a perfect dish.

The main course was meant to be pigeon but I was offered a magret du canard as an alternative. This was a dish full of seasonal flavours, hazelnuts, chestnuts, pumpkin purée and a rich sticky sauce with an amazing depth of flavour.

Cheese as you would expect were excellent although somewhat surprisingly no biscuits or fruit were offered.

A pre dessert of a Madeleine and creme fraiche was pleasant but was safe and showed little skill. This contrasted with the petit fours which was excellent, beautifully presented and showed off the expertise of the kitchen. The chocolate with peanut crunch and popping candy deserves special mention.

Dessert was one of the best I've had in a long time. A bandy snap filled with a vanilla cream, coffee ice cream and chocolate fondant. A beautiful dessert with great flavours.

Needless to say coffee and petit fours were top class.

All in all one of the best meals I've had in a long time.

Andrew