Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Where to buy quail eggs in Seattle?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:53 AM

I want to try to create some Spanish influenced pintxos (tapas) with fried quail eggs. Does anyone know anyplace in town where I can find them? Thanks!

#2 Alberts

Alberts
  • participating member
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:25 AM

I think I saw them Saturday at Pike Place Market, not in the market itself, but across the street (on the side with Starbucks). They had chicken, duck and quail. It is the place that has the empty ostrich egg shells. Sorry I don't have the name.

#3 laurel

laurel
  • participating member
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:41 AM

Uwajimaya also has them, in the sushi section, not the eggs section. I think Alberts is referring to the Pike Place Market Creamery, which I think is in the Sanitary building.

#4 trillium

trillium
  • participating member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:55 AM

Almost any SE Asian grocery should have them too, and for very cheap. A dozen costs less than $2 usually. And while you're there, buy some actual quails...around here, I buy 6 for $6 from the freezer section (right next to the blue chickens and stewing hens).

regards,
trillium

#5 ScorchedPalate

ScorchedPalate
  • participating member
  • 858 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:12 PM

I think I saw them Saturday at Pike Place Market, not in the market itself, but across the street (on the side with Starbucks). They had chicken, duck and quail. It is the place that has the empty ostrich egg shells. Sorry I don't have the name.

The delightful Pike Place Market Creamery (owned by the equally delightfully named Nancy Nipples) stocks quail eggs plus duck, ostrich, goose, and specialty chicken eggs.

Here's their entry from the market site:

PIKE PLACE MARKET CREAMERY
Hours: Monday – Saturday 9 am – 6 pm, Sunday 10 am – 5 pm
Address: 1514 Pike Place #3
Phone: (206) 622-5029
Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

#6 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:02 PM

Excellent you guys, thank you! I was just at the creamery but totally forgot to look for the wee little quail eggs!

#7 Really Nice!

Really Nice!
  • participating member
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 02:03 PM

The delightful Pike Place Market Creamery (owned by the equally delightfully named Nancy Nipples) stocks quail eggs plus duck, ostrich, goose, and specialty chicken eggs.

Here's their entry from the market site:

PIKE PLACE MARKET CREAMERY
Hours: Monday – Saturday 9 am – 6 pm, Sunday 10 am – 5 pm
Address: 1514 Pike Place #3
Phone: (206) 622-5029

Hey, I was there on Saturday too! I picked some up for Malarky. She made a quail egg, red onion, creme fraiche, caviar pizza. :rolleyes:

They are 30¢ each. You don't have to buy the typical 6 or 12. You can buy one if you want. They'll line a regular chicken egg carton with paper towels amd place them inside for you.

Someone told me that Uwajimaya also carries them for a bit less.
Drink!
I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

#8 crouching tyler

crouching tyler
  • participating member
  • 282 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 02:33 PM

I think University Seafood & Poultry, in the U-district, usually has quail eggs (or at least that is what I think I see out of the corner of my mind's eye).
Robin Tyler McWaters

#9 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 03:14 PM

I think University Seafood & Poultry, in the U-district, usually has quail eggs (or at least that is what I think I see out of the corner of my mind's eye).

Oh that is just down the steet from us, I will stop in and check! thanks!

#10 Foodie-Girl

Foodie-Girl
  • participating member
  • 721 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:55 PM

I'm gearing up to attempt some of the recipes from the T. Bourdain dinner at Brasa.

I walk from the ferry and am wondering where I might find fresh quail eggs nearby.

THANKS !

#11 Eden

Eden
  • participating member
  • 959 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 10:05 PM

The Pike Place Creamery has a selection of non-chicken eggs that I beleive includes quail on a regular basis.

Eden
Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

#12 Foodie-Girl

Foodie-Girl
  • participating member
  • 721 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 10:26 PM

Oh thanks so much, Eden !

#13 laurel

laurel
  • participating member
  • 476 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 01:27 AM

If they don't happen to have them there (I've always seen them, so I'm sure they will), you can take the free bus down to Uwajimaya.

#14 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 09:25 AM

Just bought some there last week for $0.30 each. Will be stopping in to buy more on Fri so don't buy them all foodie-girl!! Leave some for the other foodies! :raz:

#15 Foodie-Girl

Foodie-Girl
  • participating member
  • 721 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 09:59 AM

Just bought some there last week for $0.30 each. Will be stopping in to buy more on Fri so don't buy them all foodie-girl!! Leave some for the other foodies!  :raz:

View Post

**** Thanks laurel and LMF...I'm not doing the dinner just yet...but want to get my ducks, er quail, in line as far as finding all the ingredients.

#16 wesza

wesza
  • participating member
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 04:23 PM

Try stores in the International District, such as Lums Seafood. They are also available at both, "Ranch 99 Markets", in Edmonds or Kent delived fresh daily at about 1/2 the price.

Irwin
I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

#17 Foodie-Girl

Foodie-Girl
  • participating member
  • 721 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 07:24 PM

Try stores in the International District, such as Lums Seafood. They are also available at both, "Ranch 99 Markets", in Edmonds or Kent delived fresh daily at about 1/2 the price.

Irwin

View Post

***Thanks, Irwin !

#18 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 06:56 PM

Pike Place Creamery told me they get theirs almost every Wed.