Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eG Foodblog: Abra - I take food personally!

Foodblog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
108 replies to this topic

#91 patti

patti
  • participating member
  • 616 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 10:32 PM

<APPLAUSE APPLAUSE APPLAUSE>

Fantastic blog, thank you so much for sharing your interesting life. Great pictures of wonderful food. You and Riley are good to see, too.
"I like 'em french fried pertaters." (Billy Bob Thornton as Karl, in Sling Blade.)

#92 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry
  • legacy participant
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 10:43 PM

Abra, absolutely amazing! Thanks so much. Such an inspiration. And 54? Unbelievable. Must be the island air and all that gorgeous food, combined with the happiness of loving what you do and what you have made happen for yourself! Gives me hope.

Cheers and thanks again for everything,

Squeat

#93 helenjp

helenjp
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 12:04 AM

Abra, I'm so glad these things are archived - I haven't been able to follow day-by-day, so I'm looking forward to sitting down for a long read of your wonderful blog. I guess none of the distinctive national cuisines we know today evolved totally without outside influence, so everybody's cooking is more or less eclectic.

For me, it's a matter of food which is assertive enough to go with rice - something that covers most regions from the mediterranean on east!

The only thing I meditate on is a heavy reliance on out-of-area produce...but in a major city, that's a strictly academic point, anyway.

Thanks for showing us so much gorgeous food and great ideas.

#94 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:10 AM

Abra,

Thank you for the incredible blog! I'll have to try that salmon marinate next time. Looks like the ice-cream will be a project with our grandson as he loves cookie dough.

:biggrin:
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#95 fifi

fifi
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:58 AM

Abra... Thank you for a wonderful blog. I have lurked with wonder. I have many friends in your part of the world and visit as often as I can. The PNW is just amazing. It seems that you have found a wonderful balance.
Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

#96 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:34 AM

I have to admit, I'm having blog-withdrawal. You mean I can cook and eat without taking pictures? I found blogging to be such an interesting process, causing me to be so much more conscious about everything to do with food than I already am, something I would have thought to be impossible.

Also, I feel that a disclaimer is in order. What you didn't see is sinks full of dishes (thanks to my dear husband the dishwasher), piles of laundry, unswept floors. Blogging is so selective, and makes one's life look so much prettier that it really is. We live a normal life, full of normal messes. And remember, I have been known to eat peanut butter on rye, with red wine.

#97 mrbigjas

mrbigjas
  • participating member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:41 AM

And remember, I have been known to eat peanut butter on rye, with red wine.

i'm still not seeing the problem with this.

thanks, abra. nice job.

#98 Laksa

Laksa
  • participating member
  • 874 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:53 AM

Bravissimo Abra! (or should that be bravissima?) I have enjoyed following your blog. Thank you for sharing your week with us.

Your culinary skills know no bounds. You are equally at ease cooking with couscous or kicap manis. It's going to be a hard act to follow.

#99 sequim

sequim
  • participating member
  • 438 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:45 AM

Thanks so much, I really enjoyed your writing and photos. I love your eclectic, creative cooking. It's inspiring me, in fact, I'm making the stuffed tomatoes and the cornmeal cakes next week for a dinner.

Edited by sequim, 19 August 2004 - 08:46 AM.

#100 ludja

ludja
  • participating member
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:09 AM

I need to add my thanks also Abra! Your blog has been very entertaining, informative, and inspiring.

I've had a similar recipe for a rosemary soaked cornmeal cake with berries around for a while; you're blog is inspiring me to make it for friends this weekend (a happy coincidence with the wild blackberries I picked last weekend!).
"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

#101 jgarner53

jgarner53
  • participating member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:47 AM

[applauds wildly] Huzzah! Brava! Well done. A lovely week of food. Thank you for sharing your kitchen and table with us.

BTW, the chili sauce is nam prik pow, and I can almost eat it straight outta the jar I like it so much. You can read more about it here. (The owner of this website is a Thai woman who lives in the Bay Area, has written several cookbooks, and teaches Thai cooking classes in her home several times a year -- and I was lucky enough to take one.)
"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner
buttercream pastries

#102 ScorchedPalate

ScorchedPalate
  • participating member
  • 858 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:56 AM

You can read more about it here. (The owner of this website is a Thai woman who lives in the Bay Area, has written several cookbooks, and teaches Thai cooking classes in her home several times a year -- and I was lucky enough to take one.)

Getting totally off-topic:

Kasma (the owner of the site that JGarner links to) is an amazing teacher. I'd highly recommend her to any of you interested in learning more about Thai cooking. I took 3 of her series when I lived in San Fran. Cam and I are going to Thailand with her on a culinary tour in December '05.

Thanks, Abra, for a great blog. :smile:

~Anita
Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

#103 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 12:55 PM

Oh, thank you JGarner - I actually do sometimes eat that chili sauce with a spoon. I think it's an irresistable combination of flavors, and I'm so glad to know what to call it! It's the secret ingredient in the most amazing Thai lemongrass soup I've ever had.

Wow, a Thai culinary tour led by a real expert sounds really fun!

#104 SeaGal

SeaGal
  • participating member
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 01:38 PM

Thank you, Abra for an amazing, beautiful blog. I was out of town until today, so got to read the whole thing all at once. What a treat!

Jan
Jan
Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#105 bleudauvergne

bleudauvergne
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for a great week, Abra ! It all looks just wonderful. So many great ideas and so many wonderful photos. :smile: :smile: :smile:

#106 Simple

Simple
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 09:06 PM

Killer Blog, Abra. Just found it today and read it all the way through. Glad to see people doing what they love well.

#107 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:31 PM

Yeah, it was interesting and fun!

#108 phaelon56

phaelon56
  • legacy participant
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 06:39 AM

Yes - a wonderful blog. I got tired at times just reading about how much you accomplish on one day! I am, of course, kicking myself for not having made it out to Bainbridge Island when I visited Seattle in July but I'll leave more open time in my schedule on the next visit (hopefully in January).

#109 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 11:13 AM

Yep, phaelon, if you'd come over I could have given you some vinegar mother to take home. Well, there's bound to be a next time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foodblog