Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Vermouth

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#211 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 726 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

Not surprised you were thinking slowly! :biggrin:

Oh, I was thinking pretty quick!

It just didn't make much sense in retrospect...
  • Plantes Vertes likes this
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#212 campus five

campus five
  • participating member
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

The contratto sweet vermouth is wonderful. I'd put it up there with Antica and Cocchi di Torrino. 

#213 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 467 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

The contratto sweet vermouth is wonderful. I'd put it up there with Antica and Cocchi di Torrino. 

Wow, that's quite an endorsement.  Those are two of the best (if not the top 2).  Thanks for the insight.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#214 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

I am looking to acquire some quality vermouth for mixed drinks.  I once bought a bottle of vermouth for cooking (no idea what it was) but I did not care for it neat.  As I recall the recipe was for a sweetish Sephardic chicken braise. Or that might have been Marsalla, although I used vermouth for some chicken recipe.  But for drinking, from what I've read Carpano Antica sounds most interesting of what vermouth is available to me.

Suggestions?

I take quinine on presciption and I think it's vile.  For recreational use I would prefer a vermouth that is bitter from botanicals other than quinine.

I have a liter of M&R I was given as a wedding present in 1971 though I don't choose to open it just yet.

#215 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

45 (nearly)-year-old vermouth?  Interesting.  Approach it with caution; I suspect it will be completely gone, but I've been surprised by such things before.

What you buy really depends on which drinks you want to make.  My preference for a recipe requiring 'sweet vermouth' is Punt e Mes, although this morning I bought some Carpano just for a change.  And their Bianco as well, because it was there and I could.

This stuff, if you can find it, is delicious just on its own with a bit of ice and a slice of orange.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#216 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:00 AM

I have a liter of M&R I was given as a wedding present in 1971 though I don't choose to open it just yet.

You could invent a Schr√∂dinger's Martinez with that. Then you wouldn't have to open the bottle.

There's a site about vermouths here (http://vermouth101.com/) that might provide inspiration.

• Tri2Cook and EvergreenDan like this

#217 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

The vermouth101 site is linked earlier in this thread and I had read it, thanks.  And thanks for the mental image...trying hard not to think about infusion of dead cat.

My current plan is to try to obtain some Vya dry and the Carpano Antica.  Plus I have a shipment of Foodsaver corks on the way.  Now, if only I had room in the refrigerator.

#218 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 995 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

The vermouth101 site is linked earlier in this thread and I had read it, thanks.  And thanks for the mental image...trying hard not to think about infusion of dead cat.

Or alive. Can't tell. :)

• Tri2Cook and Plantes Vertes like this
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#219 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:58 PM

I think Antica is great for aromatic cocktails, and utterly indispensable for Manhattans,  but the vanilla notes can be overwhelming, particularly in sours. I honestly find M&R perfectly servicable for every day use, maybe slightly better than Cinzano. However, Punt e Mes is an utter dream, if only it were availible in my area. 

#220 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 995 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:07 AM

@Czerquerhaus - You can get Carpano Antica but not Carpano Punt e Mes? Special order, maybe? 

#221 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

@Czerquerhaus - You can get Carpano Antica but not Carpano Punt e Mes? Special order, maybe? 

I may have miscommunicated in post - I have ordered Punt from Drinkupny, and what I meant is it taste like a dream. However, placing these orders is really only in my budget once, maybe twice a year, and Sweet Vermouth is one of the bottles I go through most quickly. Antica recently showed up at my local store, so it is very convenient to purchase, especially as it is in the 375 ml bottles now. 

#222 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 995 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

@Czerquerhaus - Right. I'm suggesting that if your local store can get Antica, I bet they can get Punt e Mes. Maybe they can special order it for you at no extra cost.

#223 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

I think Antica is great for aromatic cocktails, and utterly indispensable for Manhattans,  but the vanilla notes can be overwhelming, particularly in sours.

I'm curious: what vermouth sours are you drinking? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Oriental, and I've never really found it to be anything special.

Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#224 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

The LCBO site claims we can now get Carpano Antica and Carpana Classico (which I know nothing about) as well as Dolin Dry and Dolin Rouge. I was initially excited but I've yet to see any of them in any stores around where I live so the excitement and hope are both fading.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#225 ivan

ivan
  • participating member
  • 407 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

Or alive. Can't tell. :)

Both dead AND alive.

I stumbled upon Cocchi Vermouth di Torino by accident. I sought out Cocchi Americano, because I read somewhere that it more closely resembles the original Kina Lillet than does Lillet Blanc. I wanted to taste as much as possible what Ian Fleming had in mind for the Vesper martini. I found a nice little split of Americano at Total Wine, and there next to it was a split of di Torino. I didn't want to break up the set, so I bought both. Absolutely marvelous stuff, both of them.

--
ID
--

#226 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,885 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

The LCBO site claims we can now get Carpano Antica and Carpana Classico (which I know nothing about) as well as Dolin Dry and Dolin Rouge. I was initially excited but I've yet to see any of them in any stores around where I live so the excitement and hope are both fading.

Saw the Carpano Antica but not the classico and both the Dolins.  Want some sent along?

#227 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

@Czerquerhaus - Right. I'm suggesting that if your local store can get Antica, I bet they can get Punt e Mes. Maybe they can special order it for you at no extra cost.

Ah, I see. This could be a possibility, I do have a very good relationship with the staff and owner. Thank you for the suggestion. 

I'm curious: what vermouth sours are you drinking? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Oriental, and I've never really found it to be anything special.

I looked through my recipes, and while it is a small category, there are a few that stand out. The Wig in a Box is the best of the bunch for me. The Supreme is really very nice. The Chet Helms is a very tasty long drink with sweet vermouth. And if you happen to have three kinds of vermouth open, the Pay Per View is worth a shot. 

#228 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

Owing to my local liquor stores stopping stocking Noilly Prat Original Dry, I finally opened my bottle of Noilly Prat Extra Dry. I was skeptical at first, because the marketing seems to place the extra dry in a class with M & R Extra Dry, which I do not like at all. This, however, is very close to the Original Dry. Mostly it lacks some of the richness of the Original Dry, but the botanical backbone is still present.

I tired it out in my standard Martini. 2:1 with Beefeater and two olives. It performed quite well. This is an acceptable substitute for the Original Dry, I am glad I will not have to special order my standard dry vermouth.

#229 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:23 AM

The NP Extra Dry is essentially a reintroduction of the old American version of NP that prevailed over here for many years.

Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#230 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:08 AM

Fairly vigorous blind testing on Serious Eats: The Best Way to Store Vermouth

#231 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 995 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:17 AM

Interesting. I do wish vacuum sealing was tested. And I'm surprised that sweet vermouth was selected, as I've found it to be less prone to spoilage.

My take-away is that probably any of these methods is okay, since the testers struggled to identify the "odd man out" in the triangle.

#232 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

Interesting. I do wish vacuum sealing was tested. And I'm surprised that sweet vermouth was selected, as I've found it to be less prone to spoilage.

My take-away is that probably any of these methods is okay, since the testers struggled to identify the "odd man out" in the triangle.

it is harder than you would think to de-gas a liquid with a vacuum. to actually get rid of the oxygen you would end up boiling the liquid and then you would damage the aroma. pressure de-aeration works much better to force out certain gases and is a lot cheaper that vacuum on the home scale. you can more or less do it with a tap-cap or my champagne bottle manifold.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#233 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:23 AM

The idea of a vacuum device for a wine bottle is not to draw out gasses already dissolved in the liquid, but merely to remove as much oxygen as possible from the headspace.  Really, when you think about it, the best design for something like vermouth would not be a bottle but rather a "wine in a box" concept so that no gas is introduced into the bottle from dispensing.

Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#234 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

The idea of a vacuum device for a wine bottle is not to draw out gasses already dissolved in the liquid, but merely to remove as much oxygen as possible from the headspace.  Really, when you think about it, the best design for something like vermouth would not be a bottle but rather a "wine in a box" concept so that no gas is introduced into the bottle from dispensing.

for a bottle of wine with a glass poured out, if you don't vacuum the head space, the liquid starts to absorb enough oxygen form the head space within maybe six hours to fully oxidize the wine. that is just some trivia I remember from reading The Technology of Winemaking. the problem with focusing on head space, even if you get to it immediately, is that it isn't really very significant.  the amount of oxygen taken up by the liquid just through the act of sloshing and pouring is pretty significant.

with a beverage its hard to believe it happens, but with the plastic & rubber parts I make for the Champagne Bottle Manifold its staggering how just stirring and pouring a viscous liquid entraps huge amounts of air. you can pull a serious vacuum then pressurize it and you still get small amounts of bubbles.

Goode & Harrop's book, Authentic Wine, has a small section on bag in the box technology, but they comment that the current materials diffuse pretty significant amounts of oxygen and have limited store shelf lives. European bag in the box wine are actually bottled stateside to combat this. Vermouth which doesn't move from shelves as fast an Franzia would probably need some alt bag technology.

but remember, Vermouth is pumped full of anti oxidants from all the botanicals in it, so the oxidation worries that people have are probably far over blown.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#235 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

Interesting that the tester could not detect a difference in the dry vermouth after a month. I Vacu-Vin my vermouth and store in the refrigerator, but after a month I almost always notice off flavors. I may have to blind test this myself. With the sweet though, I totally understand. I had a bottle of Carpano Antica that I forgot about in my cabinet that tasted just fine 8 months with no refrigeration. 

#236 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

bostonapothecary, I don't disagree that these devices are ineffective. I'm just pointing out what they are designed to do. Anyway, I'm betting that bag-in-a-box vermouth would be just fine for periods up to a year of incremental use.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#237 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

I'm experimenting with a nice hot-weather drink called the Gentle Persuasion, since I have all the ingredients with the exception of Lillet Rose. I have Lillet (blond), but found the amount added to the drink was just too much, since I'm not even a big Lillet fan. Here's Gary Regan's adaptation of the cocktail:

1.5 oz Lillet Rose

1/2 oz Laird's applejack

3/4 oz fresh lemon juice

1/2 oz simple syrup

2 dashes Peychaud's

mint sprig

I used the Lillet Blond and cut it back somewhat, but I still want to get away from the Lillet taste. What might be a good substitute or variation? I have the following on hand: Bonal, Amaro CioCiara, Fernet Jelinek (that would be weird, no?) and Cocchi di Torino, along with the usual suspects of Noilly Prat dry and Martini & Rossi Red.

• Rafa likes this

#238 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

The Sweethome says that vacuum doesn't work that well and that inert gas is the best for keeping wine fresh. The article is about wine, so a bit less applicable to vermouth.

Should you also avoid storing vermouth bottles on the refrigerator door? It'll slosh every time you open the fridge.

Anyway, I'm starting to get the feel that one shouldn't worry too much about vermouth at all.

#239 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

I've tried vacuum and I don't think it works that well.  Vermouth is vermouth, and I don't even like it all that much.  Mine stays in the refrigerator door.

I think the solution for wine is to drink more wine.

#240 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

Based on this article from Wired published last year, I started storing opened bottles of vermouth and wine under inert gas (always in the fridge). For wine the improvement is noticeable right away - I can keep bottles for a week and hardly notice any difference in quality. For vermouth, it's harder to tell because the decline in quality is not as dramatic and much slower too. But it helps.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 01 August 2014 - 12:23 PM.

• Rafa likes this