Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Pu Ehr Tea : Also Puerh, Pu-erh, Puer. . .

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#91 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:42 PM

If I remember correctly what I sent you, that is a shu (as you guessed) pu-erh 100 g tuo that I got in a tong last year from Scott at Yunnan Sourcing on eBay. As shu typically does, this has improved significantly over the past 15 months or so since I bought them.

Edited by Richard Kilgore, 18 November 2009 - 09:01 AM.
correct mg to g

#92 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:39 AM

Several months ago I bought a couple ounces of a new Pu-erh from Greg at Norbutea.com - a 2009 Norbu Lao Cha Tou. It still had a little of the usual new shu funky fermentation hanging on to it, so I put it in a plain white paper bag and let it air out, not trying to brew it until today. It's doing fine now, the fermentation funk is gone and it is very smooth with a pleasant camphor note. I expect it will continue to improve over the next 6 - 12 months, so I'll probably order a brick.

This shu is very compact little nuggets and it can tolerate, yes benefits from, a little longer 1st and second infusions, but is sufficiently open by the third or fourth to pull back a bit. I did my usual 20 second rinse, followed by a 10, 15, 30 and the first two were a bit thin. The third infusion at 30 was just right. So I would start with 20 next time. This was with 3.2 g in a 55 ml gaiwan with boiling or just barely off-boil water.

#93 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:01 PM

I may let this one sit in the drawer for a while before I start playing iwth it.

#94 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:18 AM

Several months ago I bought a couple ounces of a new Pu-erh from Greg at Norbutea.com - a 2009 Norbu Lao Cha Tou. It still had a little of the usual new shu funky fermentation hanging on to it, so I put it in a plain white paper bag and let it air out, not trying to brew it until today. It's doing fine now, the fermentation funk is gone and it is very smooth with a pleasant camphor note. I expect it will continue to improve over the next 6 - 12 months, so I'll probably order a brick.This shu is very compact little nuggets and it can tolerate, yes benefits from, a little longer 1st and second infusions, but is sufficiently open by the third or fourth to pull back a bit. I did my usual 20 second rinse, followed by a 10, 15, 30 and the first two were a bit thin. The third infusion at 30 was just right. So I would start with 20 next time. This was with 3.2 g in a 55 ml gaiwan with boiling or just barely off-boil water.

I may let this one sit in the drawer for a while before I start playing iwth it.

This has rested long enough to go ahead and try it, I continued to brew infusions after posting the above, and it just got better.

#95 LuckyGirl

LuckyGirl
  • participating member
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:51 AM

I have been enjoying the Rishi Ancient pu-erh that WC sent me a sample of and which I subsequently ordered.

This pu erh comes in small 5-6 gram cakes that I steep in a large mug with about 14 ounces of water.

This pu erh cha is robust and very smooth. It has no funk. It is not the deepest most rubyst pu erh I've had (but is still rich enough), probably a 7 on a scale of ten, but that makes it nice for a daily drinker.

#96 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:57 AM

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

One thing I really love about that tea is how forgiving it is--forget it a bit too long, and it doesn't make you regret it. Perfect for the office, or for introducing someone to the idea of puerh. It got me interested enough to buy my first beeng.

#97 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:57 PM

Today, I'm drinking a ripe/shu puerh, the Mangyan Guoyan Golden Peacock from Norbutea. Sweet, earthy, a little fruity, a friendly pu. This time not really brewed gongfu, but with multiple infusions mixed into the thermos, with a little skill perhaps in the timing of the infusions, and it holds its own very well there.

#98 jkteashop

jkteashop
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:31 AM

Hi, I guess it is an interesting topic for the frequent Pu Er drinkers to judge the taste difference between the bush Pu Er tea and tree Pu Er tea. This is a basic step to judge the valuse of a Pu er, whether it has high potential to collect or storage.
Providing fine teas and promote tea culture is always a pleasure job. JK Tea Shop

#99 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:24 AM

Bush vs Tree is not a difference I'm familiar with for Puerh. I've bought some Puerh from Rishi that is labelled 'ancient trees' but none of the other I've bought has labels that mentioned anything about bushes or trees.

What difference would you be looking for? And what defines a bush or a tree when they're all the same plant?

#100 jkteashop

jkteashop
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:14 AM

small arbor.JPG arbor.jpg tea bush.jpg In China, there is a strict and clear definition on the Pu Er tea plants. If the tea plant is without the main trunk, short, growing in Yunnan, then this tea plant is tea bush.

If the tea plant has its main trunk, tall, then it is the arbor; In the arbor tea trees, there is also small arbor tree(within 150 years old); we will only define the old arbor tree tea for over 200 years old.
Check the pictures for your reference.

Bush, Small arbor, arbor Pu Er teas diverse a lot in its taste, aroma, throat feeling.

Take green Pu Er with 1 year old as an example:
Bush, taste is very astrigent, less sweetness and throat feeling.

small arbor, taste is good, but compared to arbor, it still has some astrigent; sweetness is good, but its throat feeling is not as deep as the arbor.

arbor, thick, mellow taste, with super long-lasting sweetness, throat feeling, and high aroma.

The difference of the three varieties lie in their interior ingredients in the leaves. So that is why arbor Pu Er teas are so expensive and limited in amount. In the market, even in China, no factories produce the puer arbor Pu Er tea, because of limited amount, low profit, except some tea experts collect the arbor Pu Er tea Maocha to make their own private collection or sell as the luxury teas.
Providing fine teas and promote tea culture is always a pleasure job. JK Tea Shop

#101 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:51 AM

I have ordered a couple of shu pu-erhs from NorbuTea.com, spurred to do so by tea-friend Greg's 30% off Chinese New Year Sale. I'll report on these as soon as I have had a chance to brew them a couple of times.

#102 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

Looking forward to hearing more about them.

Had such a nice brew yesterday of the Lao Cha Tou shu yesterday, but it was so popular that I didn't get as much of it as I might have liked. Lots of requests for a cuppa during a busy afternoon at work.

#103 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:09 AM

A tasting of four sheng puerhs, 2005-2008 vintages

2005 Menghai "Early Spring" Raw Pu-erh tea tuo (Yunnan Sourcing)
2006 A-Gu Zhai Wild Arbor Pu-erh tea * Bu Lang Shan (Yunnan Sourcing)
2007 Rui Cao Xiang "Wu Liang Wild Arbor" Raw Pu-erh tea (Yunnan Sourcing)
2008 Yi Wu Mountain Bamboo Raw Pu-erh tea (Norbu)

This was particularly fun because these were all such lovely teas. I liked the first and last best, but all were sweet and spicy and complex and not bitter.

Used 1.2-1.3 grams of tea in small 40 mL gaiwans
boiling water flash rinse
Infusions 185°F/85°C-195°F/90°C
10”, 15”, 20”, 25”, 30”, 35”, 40

2005 Menghai "Early Spring" Raw Pu-erh tea tuo (Yunnan Sourcing)

Dry Leaves: sweet, earthy aroma; 250g tuo

Liquor, 1st infusion: sweet, spicy, smoky, love it
Liquor, 2nd infusion: same
Liquor, 3rd infusion: spicy, earthy, sweet, smoky
Liquor, 4th infusion: Sweet, spicy, earthy, smoky
Liquor, 5th infusion: sweet, earthy, smoky
Liquor, 6th infusion: sweet, spicy, smoky, yum
Liquor, 7th infusion: smoky, earthy, trace of sweet

Wet Leaves: sweet, spicy, floral scent; broken leaves of variable sizes, red tint

2006 A-Gu Zhai Wild Arbor Pu-erh tea * Bu Lang Shan (Yunnan Sourcing)

Dry Leaves: sweet, hay/straw, earthy

Liquor, 1st infusion: sweet, camphor, spice
Liquor, 2nd infusion: sweet, spice, less smoky
Liquor, 3rd infusion: sweet, earthy, smoky
Liquor, 4th infusion: sweet, earthy, little spice again
Liquor, 5th infusion: sweet, smoky, spicy
Liquor, 6th infusion: sweet, spicy, bit astringent
Liquor, 7th infusion: warm, earthy

Wet Leaves: sweet, spicy, floral scent; broken leaves, variable size, redder veins, reddish tint to some leaves

2007 Rui Cao Xiang "Wu Liang Wild Arbor" Raw Pu-erh tea (Yunnan Sourcing)

Dry Leaves: sweet tea aroma; sample portions broken from a beeng

Liquor, 1st infusion: sweet, vegetal, rounded and deep
Liquor, 2nd infusion: same
Liquor, 3rd infusion: earthy, vegetal, smoky
Liquor, 4th infusion: same
Liquor, 5th infusion: sweet, earthy, vegetal
Liquor, 6th infusion: vegetal, astringent, but still sweet
Liquor, 7th infusion: vegetal, warm, astringent

Wet Leaves: sweet, spicy, floral scent; more intact leaves, variable sizes, some reddish tints

2008 Yi Wu Mountain Bamboo Raw Pu-erh tea (Norbu)

Dry Leaves: fruity, earthy, black tea scent

Liquor, 1st infusion: floral, fruity, sweet, warm
Liquor, 2nd infusion: peachy, floral, sweet, caramel
Liquor, 3rd infusion: peachy, caramel, sweet
Liquor, 4th infusion: peachy, floral, sweet
Liquor, 5th infusion: same (mmmmm)
Liquor, 6th infusion: sweet, still peachy, floral
Liquor, 7th infusion: peachy, warm, caramel

Wet Leaves: sweet, spicy, floral scent; broken leaves of variable size, twisted leaves that don’t want to be opened, red tint to leaves

Photos:
Upper left 2005 Menghai "Early Spring" Raw Pu-erh tea tuo (Yunnan Sourcing)
Upper right 2006 A-Gu Zhai Wild Arbor Pu-erh tea * Bu Lang Shan (Yunnan Sourcing)
Lower left 2007 Rui Cao Xiang "Wu Liang Wild Arbor" Raw Pu-erh tea (Yunnan Sourcing)
Lower right 2008 Yi Wu Mountain Bamboo Raw Pu-erh tea (Norbu)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#104 plum tart

plum tart
  • participating member
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:04 AM

I have been drinking puer tea regularly for several years. I love its earthy, smokey barnyard flavour. I buy it from Murchie's in Vancouver and Chinese friends who know I like it, bring it to me from mainland China. They usually bring it in a brick, and I cut off chunks. Murchie's puer came in pellet shapes.

I don't know anything about its health benefits but I do know Chinese students who live in my house drink it every day and they don't consume anything that doesn't benefit their health and well being.IMG_5425.JPG

#105 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:53 PM

Another sheng puerh tasting, this one of some loose Mao Cha, from Norbu.

2010 Shi Tou Xin Jai Mao Cha, Nan Nuo Shan, Xishuangbanna, Yunnan
2009 Lao Ban Zhang Mao Cha from Xishuangbanna, Yunnan*
2009 Wulian Shan Mao Cha from Dali Prefecture, Yunnan

I have been enjoying the Lao Ban Zhang Mao Cha for several months, since I first tried it as part of a tasting here, so with my last order from Norbu, I tried a couple other Mao Cha, to see how they compared. This is my first brewing of other two young shengs. As expected, these are wonderful teas, with more capacity for infusions than I have space in my bladder, even with the very small gaiwans, so sometime after 10 or 12 infusions, I stopped drinking the full infusions, and did a series of longer steeps, discarding the liquor, and then did a final infusion, which I estimate to be about the 20th for each, so I could finish the tasting, get the photos of the spent leaves, and go to bed!

Overall? I love all of these. The Shi Tou Xin Jai is the most approachable in the early infusion, and is one I'll take to work to share in some one on one meetings with other tea lovers--it's less likely to bite back if I get a bit distracted. But at the however-many-it-finally was infusion, when all were pretty dilute and mostly had just a gentle sweetness left, I found a little more depth or complexity in the LBZ in than the other two. So....if you're anxious about bitter, start with the Shi Tou. If you're already a connoisseur of young sheng, and want the maximum complexity, go for the LBZ. And if you're undecided, get the Wulian, or better yet, enjoy all of them.

*Actually, turns out the LBZ is sold out. Greg tells me that the Lao Ban Pen Mao Cha on the site is very close, and maybe better. I have a hard time believing anything could be better, but as good, maybe....

Tasting setup

Used 1.0 grams of tea in small 40 mL gaiwans
Infusions 205°F/96°C-212°F/100°C
2 rinses at about 10 seconds each, before first 10 second infusions

2010 Shi Tou Xin Jai Mao Cha, Nan Nuo Shan, Xishuangbanna, Yunnan

Dry Leaves: long dark twists of intact leaves with some stems, sweet woody anise scent
Liquor, 1st infusion: light tan liquor, sweet anise flavor predominates
Liquor, 2nd infusion: the anise sweetness continues to make this one mellower than the other two
Someplace about the 8th or 9th infusion: still the mellowest of them, even after the dregs in the cup sat a bit and bitterness started to come into play; how is it that the youngest is the least harsh?
Liquor, many?-th infusion: sweet, dilute, still that lovely hint of anise
Wet Leaves: olive green leaves with reddish accents, woody earthy spicy scent

2009 Lao Ban Zhang Mao Cha from Xishuangbanna, Yunnan

Dry Leaves: long dark twists of intact leaves with some stems, scents of mushrooms, soy sauce, darker than the Shi Tou Xin Jai
Liquor, 1st infusion: light tan liquor, sweet and vegetal
Liquor, 2nd infusion: spicy, sweet, with that smooth earthy depths, and hint of bitterness
Someplace about the 8th or 9th infusion: sweet, earthy, lovely as usual, but the astringency of the aftertaste is definitely present and noticeably more than the Shi Tou or the Wulian
Liquor, many?-th infusion: sweet, dilute, earthy
Wet Leaves: olive green leaves of uniform color, sweet, spicy, asparagus scents

2009 Wulian Shan Mao Cha from Dali Prefecture, Yunnan

Dry Leaves: long dark twists of intact leaves with some stems, scent sweet and vegetal and like clean earth
Liquor, 1st infusion: light tan liquor, sweet, vegetal, bit of astringency
Liquor, 2nd infusion: spicy, herbaceous, sweet with astringency and some bitterness
Someplace about the 8th or 9th infusion: sweet, earthy, again, a little spicy/herbaceous accent that in addition to and distinct from the astringency that forms part of the aftertaste of the LBZ
Liquor, many?-th infusion: sweet, dilute, mellow
Wet Leaves: olive leaves with reddish accents, sweet spicy vegetal scent

Photos:

Left 2010 Shi Tou Xin Jai Mao Cha, Nan Nuo Shan, Xishuangbanna, Yunnan
Middle or Top 2009 Lao Ban Zhang Mao Cha from Xishuangbanna, Yunnan
Right 2009 Wulian Shan Mao Cha from Dali Prefecture, Yunnan

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#106 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

Correction: The first tea is Shi Tou Xin Zhai, not Xin Jai. Greg let me know of the misspelling that is present on the packaging (oops).

#107 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:52 AM

I am a pu-erh newcomer. Snooping around Norbu this morning, I spied this 2007 Spring Yong De Mao Cha, a loose pu-erh. From the website, my emphasis:

Because of the aging in Yong De, the infused tea liquor is a beautiful amber color with spectacular clarity. The flavor is quite mellow, especially in light of the fact that it is only three years old. At the time of writing, the flavor, although tough to describe, really reminds me of the way the fall season smells in a forest after the leaves have fallen. The aftertaste is pleasant and clean tasting with elements of that "foresty" aroma. It is my opinion, besides being a very good value, that this is an excellent semi-aged mao cha that if left un-compressed should be consumed in the next 18 months or so. It really is showing it's potential as a loose tea right now with its balance between its young, raw flavor and more mellow, aged-type aspects. I really hope people enjoy this tea as much as I have been.

I ordered some -- that foresty stuff really puts me over the moon. However, I realized that I haven't a clue about how to brew pu-erh with my office set-up: two small ceramic mugs, a glass teapot with a large stainless strainer, and a speedy kettle. I realize I'm not getting a cake from the early 20th century here, but I still don't want to make a dumb newbie mistake and ruin an otherwise compelling experience -- and potential addition to my tea repertoire.

Any thoughts?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#108 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:34 PM

I have some of this tea in my cupboard, but haven't brought it out to try yet. I've loved the 2006 yong de braided sheng puerh I tried recently, and this one sounds very similar.

I'd suggest starting with a low leaf to water ratio (2 grams for my 75mL/2.5 oz gaiwans), water just off the boil, flash rinse, then sit 2-3 minutes, and start the infusions with 5 seconds, and move on from there to adjust to your taste.

I am very eager to try this tea, but had a few others to get through first.

#109 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:05 AM

Thanks, WC, but I have a question. I tend to dump tea into a strainer, pour water over it in a pot, set a timer and drink. Thus I'm a bit confused by the phrase "start the infusions." Assume idiocy in your explanation.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#110 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:58 AM

Some of the loose young sheng I've been drinking can be very bitter if not handled delicately. I haven't tried this one yet but Greg's description including strong raw/young aspects makes me suspect this one is no different. So the way to control the strength of the tea and the bitterness is through tea to water ratio and the length of time the tea is in contact with the hot water. I can enjoy even quite strong young teas like this despite my bitter phobia if I use a moderate quantity of tea for the amount of water, and keep the water in contact with the tea very briefly at first, and gradually extend the time the tea & water are together as I make a series of infusions. Because I'm going to do it this way, I use a very small tea brewing vessel so that I can drink that volume 10-20 times without getting waterlogged myself.

My preference usually is to start with a gaiwan, but the same should apply to a pot, although I'd preheat a thick-walled yixing and don't usually bother to preheat the thin walled porcelain gaiwan, because the flash rinse is going to take care of that for me.

So....preheat a liter or quart of water to boiling and keep it very hot in your kettle (I set my pino to 205 degrees, and the water temp will thus vary from 200-212 during my series of infusions).

I measure about 2 grams of tea (using scale) for my 75mL/2.5 oz gaiwan.

If using a similar size teapot, preheat it with one rinse, about 1-2 minutes, of the hot water, with no tea inside. Dump out the water.

Now add the tea to the gaiwan or pot. Pour in hot water to cover the tea, wait a second or three, putting the lid on, and pour out this water as fast as you can. This is the rinse, and is carrying off some of the dust etc from the tea surface, and the flavor is very variable depending on how fast each leaf hydrates, so it is not predictable as to strength of flavor. I dump it and don't try to drink it.

Sit on your hands for 1-2 minutes, letting the tea leaves hydrate with the water that clings to them.

Now pour in more of the hot water, and as soon as it hits the leaf start counting or tracking the time on your timer (an easy way to do that is to set one to count up and just watch the numbers click by), while you're putting down the kettle, slapping on the lid, and getting reading to pour when you get to five seconds since water hit the leaves. At 5 seconds, start pouring the tea out into your teacup, and if you're handy with your gaiwan or pot you should be able to accomplish this within another 5 seconds or so.

Wait a few seconds, sniff the tea scent, sniff the wet leaves, blow on the tea, then carefully sip/slurp to avoid burning your tongue, and drink it all up.

And start over with adding more hot water to the tea, and this time vary the time you wait before pouring off the tea depending on how you liked the first batch. Was it just right? Then wait 5 seconds and start pouring again. Was it a little weak? Then wait 10 seconds. Was it too strong? It's hard to infuse shorter than 10 seconds, so either remove a little of the leaf, or add some extra hot water to dilute the tea in your drinking cup after another 5 second infusion.

Now lather, rinse, repeat.

5", 5", 7", 10", 10", 15", 15", 20", 20", 30", 30"....and so on, a series of short, small infusions, each delicious, lasting until you're too full of tea to continue, or your leaf runs out of flavor to give.

Adjustments for the strainer in pot--you can either remove the strainer, if you can do so without burning your fingers, or pour out the tea from the pot with strainer in place. Depends on the pot/strainer setup. The one part I am most wary about here is the possibility that the pot is quite large and your infusion volumes might be huge. In that case, you might still start with about 2 grams of tea, which will look ridiciously small in that pot, and infuse longer for fewer times. It's harder to adjust the time to get the flavor just right with fewer longer infusions but you can do it if you pour out a few drops for one sip now and then to check the 'doneness' of the tea as it is infusing, and stop when it gets to something you like to drink. I do essentially this when I 'bulk brew' in the kamjove tea thingie to fill up my thermos for the day.

Does that help?

Also, another link togreg's video on gongfu style brewing can't hurt. Scroll down the page a bit and you can find the video linked for download to your computer or watch on youtube.

#111 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

That is astonishingly helpful. I'm going to follow it to the letter this afternoon if I have the ability. Thanks.

ETA: Of course, I need the tea delivered first.... :blink:

Edited by Chris Amirault, 06 October 2010 - 09:56 AM.

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#112 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

Wholemeal Crank is on target, Chris. If you still have the Chinese tea brewing set up that dumps the tea liquor into the container below after steeping, Greg says those also work well for brewing puerh. Knowing your tea preferences, you may like this one brewed with a higher leaf:water ratio - closer to 1.5g/1 ounce.

And stay tuned for more puerh Tea Tasting & Discussions coming in the not too distant future.

#113 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:16 PM

the Chinese tea brewing set up that dumps the tea liquor into the container below after steeping

I have a Kamjove KJ-350, much like http://www.kamjove.c...t4/TP-150u.htm'>this one. The primary problem with using it for puerh is that it requires a certain minimum volume to get the water level above the filter and with the tea, so I can't make a series of very small infusions with it. But it does fine for larger volume infusions and is what I use to make my thermoses full of tea for work.

#114 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:22 PM

Before I get to the puerh of the day, here's a shot of my Kamjove device: all plastic, nothing glass to shatter on the office carpeting. Heavily used!

http://www.flickr.co...unix/5070332849

And then today's puerh: the oldest sample I got from Essence of Tea last month, the 1960s (early) Guang Yun Gong Puerh.

This is a very expensive tea, so I wanted to be well prepared. I finished lunch 30 minutes before tasting, brushed teeth without toothpaste, rinsed mouth with plain water—didn’t want anything to interfere with the taste of the tea.

1.4 grams of tea in tiny gaiwan
30mL water per infusion (used a very small measuring cup)

Water boiling or near boiling (205-212 per the thermometer when poured from the kettle)

Flash rinse

Wet leaves smell like forest floor—sweet clean compost scent

first infusion 15 seconds
earthy like the scent promised, but surprisingly strong sweet and spicy notes right up there with it

2nd infusion 20 seconds
earthy, caramel, sweet, spicy, very very very nice

3rd infusion 25 seconds
About the same as the 2nd infusion, a bit stronger is only difference

4th infusion 30 seconds
earthy, sweet, spicy, caramel

5th infusion, 40 seconds
Still strong and lovely

It kept going well to about 11 or 12 infusions; at 16 it was just slightly sweet water, but pleasant all the way to the end.

I have to admit to an ulterior motive here: I was hoping I might find that I actually prefer my young sheng puerhs to the ‘real deal’ of very aged sheng, since I have come to prefer them to most of the ripe shu—ripe shu designed to mimic the aged sheng, like young sheng better than ripe shu, so maybe will like young sheng better than aged sheng? So I was hoping to find this would be a rather bland experience like eating dirt. And it wasn’t. It is lovely. It is very, very lovely.

Is it lovely enough to want to invest $$$ in drinking it regularly and in larger volume? Maybe not. I think stuff like this will remain an occasional tea, because even as it is sitting net to me in the cup, and the water has just boiled again, visions of Lao Ban Zhang loose mao cha are dancing in my head.

But do I understand why some stuff like this is praised and prized so highly? Yes. I get it now. It is subtly but dramatically different than the best of the shus I have had, because it manages a wonderful balance of the elements of spicy, sweet, earthy, fruity, more complex than I’ve had yet from a shu.

#115 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:56 PM

Wholemeal Crank is right, I am sure, Chris. The Kamjove and similar brewing devices are good for brewing at western ratios, and you can still get at least two to three infusions from a ratio of 2.0 - 2.5 g per six ounces of water. Essentially brewing it like you have been doing with black tea. Or if you are now using a tea pot with an infuser, you can use the same ratio.

As a side note - given your tastes, my best guess is that you would also enjoy an older shu (cooked) puerh. Best to get one at least two years old and at least five years old may be better. Some from the early 2000s and the 1990s are very nice and not astronomically expensive.

Small samples help cut your loses if it is something you really don't care for. Most tea merchants offer samples of 25 - 50 g. ( But don't throw a less than desireable puerh away. They can improve with a little airing out after shipping - I always allow at least 10 days - two weeks - and my brewing technique for that specific pu may improve, too. I always suspect first that I am the culprit when a tea does not live up to its reputation.)

#116 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

After trying the very aged sheng puerh from EoT the other day, today I came back to my very first purchased puerh beeng, bought before I knew the words sheng or shu, and one that I thought was ok but really not that special. Viewed through the 'lens' of this other tea, I see that while it doesn't have the intensity of flavor I'm coming to love in young shengs, it's really better than I gave it credit for in the past. It's not as spicy/fruity as the lovely EoT puerh, but quite nice.

It's the one on the left in this photo, yummy.

Posted Image

#117 annachan

annachan
  • participating member
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

I've been drinking puerh since I've been drinking tea. My grandfather drank it all day and night. He also ate the most unhealthy stuff (the fattest parts of all meats, use salad dressing/condiments by the cup, etc.) but never had high cholesterol. We always said that it's the puerh that kept him that way. He not only drank a lot, he also drank it strong. If the color isn't almost black, it's too light for him. :wacko: That's probably why I tend to brew mine strong as well.

We still get our puerh from Hong Kong. When we went back last month, my mom bought about 10 lbs to bring back. Once in a while, I do pick up puerh from Teavana as well. I like the one with strawberries.

#118 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:00 PM

I do have a hard time with the idea of puerh and strawberries.

I have enjoyed my puerh earthy, smoky, sweet, fruity, sharp, herbaceous, but ..... strawberries? What is the background type of puerh that is flavored with strawberries, and does it still taste like puerh, or just like strawberry flavor with hint of tea?

#119 annachan

annachan
  • participating member
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:06 PM

It's puerh with some dried strawberries in the tea. The flavor of the puerh does come through in the tea with the strawberries adding a hint of sweetness and fruitiness. The first time I saw the tea, I had much reservations. But, I've really grown to like it.

#120 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:42 PM

Interesting. I have to admit I did enjoy the garlic ice cream in Gilroy. Stranger things have happened.