Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

World's best carrot-cake recipe

Dessert

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#211 ohev'ochel

ohev'ochel
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:50 AM

i want to try making this however does anyone know, or has tried, making it with less than the 2 cups of sugar called for in the cake part, i.e. that would be maybe reduced to 1 1/2 c? wondering if this will affect the success of baking the cake. thanx.

Edited by ohev'ochel, 19 August 2006 - 10:51 AM.

#212 sugarlove

sugarlove
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:29 PM

i want to try making this however does anyone know, or has tried, making it with less than the 2 cups of sugar called for in the cake part, i.e. that would be maybe reduced to 1 1/2 c?  wondering if this will affect the success of baking the cake.  thanx.

View Post

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I figured out what I was doing wrong. I have the temp to high on the stove which cause the butter to seperate. I remade the filling and keep the temp on low and that work just fine.

Ohev, I made the carrot cake today with these modifications:

2 1/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp Ginger
1/2 tsp Allspice
4 eggs
1 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup corn oil

1/2 cup coconut finely shredded
1/2 cup crushed, I ran this threw the food processor because I didn't want chunks of pineapple in the cake...work just fine
1 cup raisons
2 10oz bags shedded Carrots, finely grated in Food Processor

The next time I make the cake I will omit the follow:
raisons I didn't care for these much in the cake besides they sunk to the bottom of the pan

ginger
allspice

I want to try the cake with out the above 2 spices

#213 ohev'ochel

ohev'ochel
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:39 PM

Ohev, I made the carrot cake today with these modifications:

2 1/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp Ginger
1/2 tsp Allspice
4 eggs
1 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup corn oil

1/2 cup coconut finely shredded
1/2 cup crushed, I ran this threw the food processor because I didn't want chunks of pineapple in the cake...work just fine
1 cup raisons
2 10oz bags shedded Carrots, finely grated in Food Processor

The next time I make the cake I will omit the follow:
raisons I didn't care for these much in the cake besides they sunk to the bottom of the pan

ginger
allspice

I want to try the cake with out the above 2 spices

View Post

sugarlove --

thanks a bundle. i am gonna replace the raisins (yuckola) with the pineapple! :laugh: :laugh: eta: the filling sounds mighty good!

Edited by ohev'ochel, 19 August 2006 - 05:40 PM.

#214 amccomb

amccomb
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:03 PM

A word of warning - if the filling is too firm at room temp, don't nuke it to soften it up! I just used this filling in a wedding cake with chocolate cake, and right before filling the cake, I put it in the microwave for 30 seconds, and the whole thing separated. I drained as much of the butter as I could and whisked cold cubes of butter back into it and managed to save it. Whew!

Turned out to be an incredible filling for a "turtle" cake. The wedding was today, and that cake was the second to go (behind the chocolate cake with white chocolate/creme de menthe filling).

#215 LittleIsland

LittleIsland
  • participating member
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:53 PM

The carrot wedding-cum-birthday cake I made for my father's celebration last night. Excuse the ugly service trolley the restaurant laid it on :rolleyes: that's all they had available.

Posted Image

It was covered with cream cheese frosting, and I cut the stems of the roses to place in the acrylic bowl. My piping sucked because working in our tropical heat the frosting got too soft too quickly but I was too lazy and tired to put it back in the fridge to firm up again so there were more blobs than shells. But thankfully no one appeared to notice.

Even if I say so myself, I think the cake cut beautifully, and I was really really happy with the way the slices looked, with even layers and clean frosting in between - so all the obsessing with trimming the cakes etc. did pay off in the end. Unfortunately I didn't take pics of the slices to show.

Lots of compliments on the eating of the cake, and I have Squirrelly Cakes to thank for her addition of wheat bran to the recipe, plus all her and Sarah Philips' hand-holding, trouble-shooting and sage advice along the way. Thank goodness for the internet!

#216 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

Congratulations on a beautiful cake!

Edited by Ling, 20 August 2006 - 09:05 PM.

#217 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:31 AM

Oh, how pretty, LittleIsland. I bet your Dad was delighted--beautiful work.

#218 Sarah Phillips

Sarah Phillips
  • participating member
  • 186 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:20 AM

I am so proud of you, Little Island! You did a great job and worked so hard on your cake! It's sensational! ~
Happy Baking! Sarah Phillips, President and Founder, http://www.baking911.com

#219 LittleIsland

LittleIsland
  • participating member
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:20 PM

Thank you for the compliments and encouragement from all you so much more experienced and professional bakers! I did have fun putting it all together, although I didn't realise how much devil there is in the detail. Somehow when I started conceiving the idea, I thought it would be a lot easier :biggrin: I have a HUGE appreciation for you who do this regularly or for a living!! (Although it's probably a LOT more fun playing with fondant and icing flowers etc.)

#220 Renee K

Renee K
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:27 AM

Wow, great job, LittleIsland! Congrats! So happy for you that all the hard work and experimenting paid off.

#221 renam

renam
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

I'm making a Carrot Cake for my friend at work. I haven't made one since oh :hmmm: geezzzzz ummmm :blink: 1988? maybe. Is there anything I should be aware of or anything I can do to the recipe to make it better.?
there's 6 cups of carrot
raisens
Walnuts
and then the average ingredient; eggs, flour, baking soda, etc. or if anyone has a really good recipe please post it. I got the one I'm trying from allrecipes.com

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Rena

#222 MaryMc

MaryMc
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:19 PM

I'm making a Carrot Cake for my friend at work. I haven't made one since oh  :hmmm: geezzzzz ummmm :blink:  1988? maybe.  Is there anything I should be aware of or anything I can do to the recipe to make it better.?
there's 6 cups of carrot
raisens
Walnuts
and then the average ingredient; eggs, flour, baking soda, etc.  or if anyone has a really good recipe please post it.  I got the one I'm trying from allrecipes.com

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Rena

View Post

This one is a never-fail recipe for me. It's from the Los Angeles Times California Cookbook. It bakes up a big, gorgeous, three-layer cake that's just about the best carrot cake I've had. I usually sprinkle it with more chopped walnuts after frosting. You could add raisins to the batter if you want them.

14-Carat Cake
MaryMc
Seattle, WA

#223 renam

renam
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:06 PM

I'm blocked from seeing the recipe here at work. I'll have to get if from home tonight.

Thanks
Rena

#224 eldereno

eldereno
  • society donor
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:37 PM

This one is a never-fail recipe for me.  It's from the Los Angeles Times California Cookbook.  It bakes up a big, gorgeous, three-layer cake that's just about the best carrot cake I've had.  I usually sprinkle it with more chopped walnuts after frosting.  You could add raisins to the batter if you want them.

14-Carat Cake

View Post

This looks a lot like the recipe my friend made for my wedding cake. I have made it many times and it is great.

edited because I cannot spell friend

Edited by eldereno, 23 June 2008 - 03:37 PM.

Donna

#225 ElaineK

ElaineK
  • participating member
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

I converted the Frog Commissary cake to be gluten free (I also reduced the yield, reduced the sugar and generally abused it), and it was remarkably tasty. I think I prefer a spicier cake, but it's certainly the best gluten-free carrot cake I've made so far.

Ingredients

1 stick melted butter
2 T oil (I used peanut, because it's what I had)
2 T light coconut milk
3/4 cup sugar
126 grams sweet gluten free flour blend (50g sweet white sorghum flour, 50g Whole Foods bake mix (sweet rice flour works fine too), 26g coconut flour)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
1/2 cup raisins

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a medium (2.5 qt) bowl, wisk together the melted butter, oil, coconut milk, and sugar. Sift together the flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add half the dry ingredients into the sugar-oil mixture and wisk. Add one egg, half the remaining dry ingredients, the second egg and the remaining dry ingredients while whisking vigorously. (Don't worry about over mixing, you can't make it tough)Add the carrots, raisins, and pecans.

Scoop with a 2oz disher into cupcake tin and bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool on rack.

Makes 14 not-too-sweet cupcake/muffins. They take cream-cheese frosting and some chopped toasted pecans very well.

#226 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:43 PM

Has anyone made carrot cake substituting butter for a siginificant chunk of the oil?
Seems like it would be a much better cake, but I don't know what structural issues you might encounter.

#227 rooftop1000

rooftop1000
  • participating member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:23 PM

I think the cake would be much firmer and possibly seem dry. Carrot cakes can have an oily feel to them but I think thats just part of the package.

tracey
The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers
Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage
garden state motorcyle association

#228 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

I think the cake would be much firmer and possibly seem dry. Carrot cakes can have an oily feel to them but I think thats just part of the package.

tracey

I might experiement with replacing half the oil with butter, and then seeking moisture from some other source: applesauce, sour cream, etc...
I tend to think of oil-based cakes as creating the illusion of moisture rather than being truly moist. so I think this could be an improvement, not a compromise (unless you like corn oil more than butter!)

#229 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:37 PM

Replacing part of the oil with butter is fine. There are sufficient wet ingredients in most carrot cake recipes for it not to be a real issue. Even if it seems a little dry initially, by the next day it balances out nicely. I always use half butter, half oil at work. I also pre-hydrate the raisins so they don't pull too much moisture from the cake. It's one of our best sellers. I've done them with all butter and didn't find it unpleasantly dry, just not as moist as the usual suspects and a little too far from what people expect to be able to do it that way all of the time.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#230 JohnRichardson

JohnRichardson
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:56 AM

I think I asked this once before but might have been misunderstood (before meaning years ago).

Why is the FC cake baked in a tube pan (the kind that leaves a hole in the middle)? And do you fill that hole with filling, or end up with a cake that is shaped like a stack of pineapple rings? A picture of the finished cake would be helpful.

When I've made it, I just did 2 9" pans, and split into 4 layers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert