Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Banh mi

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Ciao Ling

Ciao Ling
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:41 AM

Here is the Viet World kitchen recipe.

#32 dave43

dave43
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

I found a Mexican Bakery that makes Bolillo that Andrea reccommended, unfortunately it is far enough away that getting fresh rolls is impractical. Would it be OK to freeze the rolls?

I've had decent luck in freezing vietnamese style pistolette rolls. Split before freezing and stick inside a zip top bag (press out all the air). Defrost for a couple of hours at room temp for soft rolls, or reheat from frozen at around 250 degrees in a toaster oven for crispy results. I freeze all sorts of homemade bread with great results.

Is there a reason for splitting? or is it OK to freeze them whole?

#33 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

What fillings do you like to use? I've tried the Momofuku liver and ham terrines and they're ok.

I had an excellent bahn mi from Bahn Mi Ba Le in Oakland, California that had a sunny side up egg in it. When you bite into it the yolk oozes all over the sandwich. It was $2. I haven't been to that many bahn mi shops but that place was the best I've had.

Do most good bahn mi shops make their own terrines and pates?

For veggies, there's the carrot and daikon pickles. Most places I've been to stuff a bunch of cilantro in there. I tried it once with arugula instead and thought it was quite interesting, though not authentic at all, but as a few people have mentioned already, bahn mi is one of those things that should be freely adapted.