Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Favorite single malt

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#181 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:36 AM

Revisit time.

Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or. Sweet. Caramel. Stone fruit. Soft fruit. Syrupy texture. Like something that could be served with ice cream. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#182 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:36 AM

Revisit time.

Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or. Sweet. Caramel. Stone fruit. Soft fruit. Syrupy texture. Like something that could be served with ice cream. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#183 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:52 AM

Revisiting Ardbeg Uigeadail. Intense heat. Sweetness under all that: sherry. Apricot. Cooked apple. Dry smoke that lingers. A magnificent whisky. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#184 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

Yep, pretty good. How old is your bottle? Apparently the more recent bottlings have suffered.

#185 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

Yep, pretty good. How old is your bottle? Apparently the more recent bottlings have suffered.

This was a mini. I have no idea how old the bottle was. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#186 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

damn, you can get minis of Uigeadail? I need to move to Melbourne already...

#187 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

They're not widely avaliable. My go-to bottle-o tends to pick up a few oddities, tho'. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#188 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

bottle-o? Of course the Oz word has an o  :laugh:  I would call it a boozeria, but nobody else I know does that.

Back to topic...the boozerias here only sell minis of really bog-standard stuff, except Total Wine, which has loads of minis of Barbadian rums I've never heard of. But no single malts at all.

#189 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:29 AM

bottle-o? Of course the Oz word has an o  :laugh:  I would call it a boozeria, but nobody else I know does that.

Back to topic...the boozerias here only sell minis of really bog-standard stuff, except Total Wine, which has loads of minis of Barbadian rums I've never heard of. But no single malts at all.

Most bottle-os, including large chains, carry a very limited range of minis. Whisk(e)y-wise, barring sample or gift packs, you might get Glenfiddich 12, Chivas, Johnnie Walker (only the Red and Black variants), Jack (standard) and Jim (standard). If you're lucky you might find stores that have brought in a few different ones--and I think this is the case with the Ardbeg--as some kind of promotional thing through their suppliers or as a result of breaking up some gift packs. Nick's is happy to break up gift packs in that way as I guess there's enough people that'll pick up a $5-7 bottle of this-or-that to justify it.

EDIT

Anyway. A new addition to my collection: Springbank 12 cask strength. My first Springbank purchase, excluding a Scotch Malt Whisky Society bottling (which was, incidentally, my first taste of Springbank). It's not as complex as the SMWS bottling, obviously, but it was approximately half the price! Despite its reputation I think it's an approachable dram. It's just so ... balanced. Salt. Smoke. Bitterness, almost of the sort you'd associate with salad vegetables like radicchio. A bit of sweetness lurking back there. Prickly mouthfeel. A bit of oiliness that then surprises you by ending cleanly, almost crisply. I'm led to believe Springbank's various expressions can vary hugely from batch to batch and even bottle to bottle but this is just ... friendly.

EDIT 2

Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Much more restrained than the classic. Dry smoke and iodine and salt without the hospital-on-fire.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#190 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

Springbank is great. I have their 10 and have tried their 15, as well as a couple of their Hazelburn and Longrow bottlings. They're all quite different, but consistently very high quality. And they stick to the no-coloring, no chill-filtration ethos. And they're one of the last remaining truly independent distilleries. (Like, who is else there? Kilchoman? No longer Bruichladdich, and?) 

#191 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

Springbank is great. I have their 10 and have tried their 15, as well as a couple of their Hazelburn and Longrow bottlings. They're all quite different, but consistently very high quality. And they stick to the no-coloring, no chill-filtration ethos. And they're one of the last remaining truly independent distilleries. (Like, who is else there? Kilchoman? No longer Bruichladdich, and?) 

Genfarclas always comes to mind for me when talking about the last of the independent dinosaurs.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#192 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:15 PM

Genfarclas always comes to mind for me when talking about the last of the independent dinosaurs.

This is a very good resource on the matter:

http://www.whisky-em...WhoOwnsWhat.htm

(I still haven't tried Glenfarclas, I suspect I'd love it)

#193 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

I've enjoyed most Glenfarclas expressions I've tried. Not so much the entry-level one but the 15, 21 and 25 are very good. Every so often I contemplate picking up a bottle of the 30 or 40 year old expression as they're reasonably priced, so far as whisky of that age goes.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#194 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 683 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

I suspect you would, Hassouni. One of the most consistent and delicious of the heavily sherried malts. 

• ChrisTaylor likes this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#195 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 725 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

Excellent. Should have thought of Springbank as well.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#196 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:37 AM

Updated thoughts on the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Honey. Smoke. Iodine. Salt. A certain oiliness. 

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#197 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:43 AM

Revisit.

Auchentoshan Triple Wood (2011). Sherry. A bite to it, even with a bit of water. Big on the sherry. Glace cherry. Rich.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#198 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 466 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

This had me laughing.  I was just drinking Quarter Cask a few nights ago.  It is somewhat more restrained, but I do so love the hospital-on-fire.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Much more restrained than the classic. Dry smoke and iodine and salt without the hospital-on-fire.

Edited by brinza, 07 August 2014 - 11:23 AM.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#199 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:04 AM

Glenkichnie 12. Nose of alcohol, stone fruits. Honey. Palate: fruity, floral. Pepper. Finish: licking an oak barrel.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne