Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Favorite single malt

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#121 David Hensley

David Hensley
  • participating member
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

Thank you for mentioning a couple of whiskeys that I'll probably never find, and if I do, will never be able to afford. I sincerely respect the opinions, and the recommendations too, but still hate you, just because you were able to taste them, and I couldn't.

That is all...LOL

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

#122 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

Thank you for mentioning a couple of whiskeys that I'll probably never find, and if I do, will never be able to afford. I sincerely respect the opinions, and the recommendations too, but still hate you, just because you were able to taste them, and I couldn't.

That is all...LOL

Affordable quality malts, all very easy to find:

Highland Park 12

Old Pulteney 12

Caol Ila 12

Glenmorangie 10

slightly more expensive but still quite reasonable and easy to find:

Talisker 10

Laphroaig 10

Bruichladdich 10 if you can find it (discontinued but still should be on shelves)

If someone said I could only have 2 bottles and each had to be under $45, I'd definitely spring for Caol Ila and HP twelves.

Edited by Hassouni, 11 January 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#123 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

I will be visiting a fav restaurant soon that has a fairly decent  single malt selection.  

they offer 2   (1 oz)  single malt tastings for 20$ from the list here.   note the link is to a pdf file.

http://charcoalgroup...sert Oct 13.pdf

the only restriction is that that the macallan 18 is not included in this offer.    

so my question  is which two  would you choose ?  

based either on not having tried before and or a favourite selection. 

I am leaning towards the  Auchentoshan Triple Wood, and the Springbank ‘18  for this visit.  

"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#124 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

It depends on your taste and mood; from that list I would probably also taste the Springbank 18, which I've never had, and perhaps something big and smokey like the Talisker or one of the Islays.

I like the Three Wood, and I would try it if I hadn't had a hugely sherried Scotch before, but from that list the Double Wood is probably a safer but similar choice.
  • Ashen likes this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#125 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Are you new to scotch?

I'd be leaning the other way and recommending the very drinkable Dalwhinnie for one of them. For the other I'd go for something more interesting. I'm inclined to go with Lagavulin over Talisker. Or treat yourself to 2 * tastings and hit:

Dalwhinnie

Lagavulin

Auchentoshan 3 or Oban

Springbank

That'll cover a nice spectrum of drams. As much as Oban and Dalwhinnie are from the same region I think they're quite different.

If you've hit just enough whisky to know you really like peat then there's always a combo like this:

Laphroaig (at the end: hit this one last)

Lagavulin

Talisker

Springbank (probably my starting point)

Edited by ChrisTaylor, 11 January 2014 - 03:26 PM.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#126 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

MacAllan neat with one small ice cube . I don't like the peaty ones much. I know I'm uncool.

#127 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

Are you new to scotch?

I'd be leaning the other way and recommending the very drinkable Dalwhinnie for one of them. For the other I'd go for something more interesting. I'm inclined to go with Lagavulin over Talisker. Or treat yourself to 2 * tastings and hit:

Dalwhinnie

Lagavulin

Auchentoshan 3 or Oban

Springbank

That'll cover a nice spectrum of drams. As much as Oban and Dalwhinnie are from the same region I think they're quite different.

If you've hit just enough whisky to know you really like peat then there's always a combo like this:

Laphroaig (at the end: hit this one last)

Lagavulin

Talisker

Springbank (probably my starting point)

i would say I have had a medium exposure to different single malts.  I have a bottle of dalwhinnie 15  and I am still working on finishing off the bottle of Talisker  I talked about upthread.  I have tried Oban, jura, glenlivet,glenfiddich, Lagavulin over the years .  I enjoyed them all to some degree , although Talisker would not be a repeat purchase for me.  I also enjoy blended scotch,  tried Johnnie walker black over christmastime and liked it.. I would liken it to really good roast chicken dinner.  not them most exotic thing around but very satisfying when you are in the mood. To be truthful most bottles I have bought recently have tended to be Canadian whisky,  different expression of 40 Creek or Rum. The price of the single malts makes them rare purchases.   I sipped a really beautiful rum yesterday, Angostura 1919 Rum from trinadad. 

trying different tastings at the restuarant  will let me get an idea of whether I like a  single malt enough to invest in a bottle .   We end up going there are least 4 or 5 times a year so I imagine I will get through most of the list eventually. 

Edited by Ashen, 11 January 2014 - 05:12 PM.

"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#128 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

In that case I would say go with the Highland Park and either the Balvenie or the Auchentoshan. Springbanks tend to be idiosyncratic and expensive, and perhaps not the best next step if you're iffy on single malts overall.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#129 Jeff K

Jeff K
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

I see a few shout outs for Laphroaig. It's my favorite I've tasted so far, but I'd probably drink a peat bog straight up if it were fermented enough. I do plan to try a few more Islay single malts when I get a chance, depending on what's available here in Bangkok (or in duty free when I fly)...

#130 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

Try some Ardbeg or Lagavulin. Octomore is great stuff, if you can find it and it won't bankrupt you.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#131 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

Bruichladdich 10, Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg (the 10 year old standard or, if you can get it, Uigeadail).

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#132 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:08 AM

A recent non-scotch tasting (continuing to fight the power, etc): Dickel 12, which only recently came to be available locally at a reasonable price. This is really good. Not exciting or contemplative or whatever: just damn good whiskey.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#133 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

Octomore is great stuff, if you can find it and it won't bankrupt you.

I can, and it will. I need to get in on some super secret Octomore tasting...

• Rafa likes this

#134 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 717 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

A couple of nice ones I tried recently.

First is the Springbank 12 Cask Strength and it is a new favorite! Lovely as is and really blossoms with just a smidge of water. Also been trying a few Longrow's, Springbank's peatier sibling.

The new Caol Ila release called Stitchell Reserve is the NAS unpeated version they release every few years. This one is named for the retiring master distiller, Billy Stitchell, and presumably he had a hand in creating it. Usually the periodic unpeated release has an age statement but this one does not. A blend of several different finishes and it is really, really good stuff! Not peaty but a hint of smoke down deep in there and a wonderful example of the whiskey that Caol Ila can make without the overlay of peated malt.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#135 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:16 AM

Non-scotch again!

Thomas H Handy Saz. Oh man. Lovely, lovely, lovely. Definitely needs the water--at 66% it doesn't fuck around--but, yeah, lovely dram. I've had this in Old Fashioneds and Sazeracs in the past but now that I actually own a bottle I couldn't bring myself to mix with it. And I say that about almost nothing else in my collection.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#136 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 992 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

This is very strange. I poured a bit of Lagavulin 16 (my favorite of Scotches that I can drink without a pang of guilt). With every sip, I get a strong nose of peach. I'm not talking about close-your-eyes-and-imagine-the-gestalt-of-peach. I'm not talking about florid descriptions referencing shoe leather, ear wax, or forest duff. Peach, like peach jam. Nothing peachy on the palate, only the nose. I've sniffed my hands, clothes, chair and naughty bits -- no hint of peach anywhere.

I've never noticed this before. Perplexed.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#137 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

How clean is your glassware? Any detergent residue?

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

#138 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

Scent is complicated. Something you smelled or ate earlier in the day could be discombobulating you. Take a break (hard to pull away from the Lagavulin, I know) and try again later.

Or is it a new bottle? You may have just gotten an off-profile one. Though I've never gotten peaches from Lag; apples, maybe, and tire fire, but that's it.

Or make a Georgita with it. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#139 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

One wine tasting trick (no guarantees where it is an urban myth or not) is to reset your olfactory system by sniffing some coffee beans.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#140 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

That's done when sampling perfumes as well, and does seem to work (though that may just be my own suggestibility).

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#141 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

Some Highland Park 18 tonight. A very satisfying dram. In that horrifying parallel dimension where I have to choose only one bottle, this might be it.

• Hassouni and Rafa like this
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#142 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 673 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

Were I stuck there with you I might have to fight you for the same bottle.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#143 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

These guys also detect peach in their Lagavulin's nose but it's the 30 years. Also here in the 2013 Distiller Edition.

Mine does not have any peach - just checked last night to make sure!

#144 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 992 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

The peach is gone from the Lagavulin. Glass was cleaned like all the others, and I don't detect any odor from any of the glassware. 

But now I hear Elvis playing when I drink it.

• Plantes Vertes and Craig E like this

#145 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:20 AM

Drink more and report back

#146 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:25 AM

The peach is gone from the Lagavulin. Glass was cleaned like all the others, and I don't detect any odor from any of the glassware. 

Is he in the next room playing live?

My eG Foodblog

#147 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 992 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Drink more and report back

Turns out it was Costello. Phew.

• Plantes Vertes and Craig E like this

#148 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:52 AM

Ok, it's a blend rather than a single malt but it's had such an interesting treatment and tastes so different, I thought I'd post it.

I was buying some Romate Palo Cortado Sherry (which is delicious by the way) and came across this whisky:

whisky.jpg

Sheep Dip Amoroso Oloroso.

It was distilled and blended in Scotland in 1999 and matured in bourbon barrels for three years. It was then shipped to Spain and matured for nine years in Oloroso Sherry Casks at Sanchez Romate.

It has a really chocolatey/caramel nose. The palate has heaps of vanilla and hints of stone fruit and spice with a really long dark treacle tart after-taste.

• Rafa likes this

My eG Foodblog

#149 Yojimbo

Yojimbo
  • participating member
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

@Ashen,

If smoky, peaty malts aren't your thing, I'd try an affordable Highland like Glenmorangie 10 yr., and if you really want to go clean and light, go for another Speyside. 

For me, I will go to my grave carrying a bottle of something Islay, like Lagavulin, or Talisker, or Aberlour, or  . . . well, if I'm gonna be in there a long time, I'll want some variety, right?

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

#150 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

• Bruichladdich The Laddie 10: holy shit amazing whisky. Picked it up based on vague recommendations and someone's recent post in the bottle shop thread. A winner.

Chris, can you say more about this? What was so terrific about it? Thanks in advance. 

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts