Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Preserving Summer

• Please log in to reply
327 replies to this topic

#241 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,451 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:09 PM

If it doesn't set up, you can use the following process for the already processed and jarred stuff and I personally guarantee it will make anything jell. The term "liquid cement" is for real.

Melinda Lee's solution for un-jelled jelly & etc.

P.S. I do not process cooked jams and jellies if they are poured into the sterilized jars while the stuff is still hot.
Believe me, it does not require processing.

Processing is required when you "cold pack" fruit, peaches, cherries, pears, tomatoes, etc., and pour the cooked syrup over them in the jars.
Because the fruit is not cooked, it must be processed.

Edited by andiesenji, 09 June 2008 - 02:13 PM.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#242 KarenDW

KarenDW
  • participating member
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:35 PM

in some regions where there is higher humidity and lower ambient temperatures, a problem could develop w/ mould. So, processing would be beneficial. I process anything which is going to be given away or sold (i.e., incorporated into a client's meal), just as an extra measure of safety.
In decades of canning and preserving... I've only had a few jars spoil; spoilage was obvious (mould), and the jars in question had not been hot water bath processed.

The sugar in the jam should act as a preservative. But for "jam", you will likely need to cook the mixture again w/ more pectin. Open one jar and decide whether you like the consistency :smile:
Karen Dar Woon

#243 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:06 PM

Anyone else canning? I just made 5 pints of Ontario strawberry jam without pectin. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it sets up.

I think I'm going to make another batch mixing in some rasberries, blackberries and blueberries. I might add some pomona pectin just for insurance.

#244 JaneMC

JaneMC
  • general member
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

Anyone else canning?  I just made 5 pints of Ontario strawberry jam without pectin.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it sets up.

I think I'm going to make another batch mixing in some rasberries, blackberries and blueberries.  I might add some pomona pectin just for insurance.

View Post

I've also been canning. I've made strawberry jam (I don't use pectin ever) and I froze cranberries so I have canned them also while it's too hot to turn on the oven I sure can, can. I can't wait for green beans to come in season, blueberries, cherries, and other of course. I'm also going to try my hand a wine jelly with apples instead of pectin. Oh lets not forget in the fall apple butter. My friend came in from the west and cleaned me out of my banana-chocolate jam, blueberry, brandied cherry compote, apple butter and a few others. Time to start getting ready for the holidays....no I didn't say that word did I?

#245 Marigene

Marigene
  • participating member
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:09 PM

I am going to do some apricot jam/preserves tonight. I was going to do it this afternoon but decided to do it later when it is a little cooler.

Has anyone tried an apricot/raspberry combo? I have quite a few raspberries and was thinking of using them in jam.

Edited by Marigene, 23 June 2008 - 01:10 PM.

#246 milgwimper

milgwimper
  • participating member
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

I just finished making sour cherry jam, and I am in love. Trying not to touch them till winter but it is so hard.

#247 momcook

momcook
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:19 PM

Apricot-Raspberry is very nice. We make it whenever the raspberries are abundant. The 3 berry combo is also good, and we use Pomona in all, to keep the amount of sugar lower. Our raspberries are just starting to come in - hope to make some in the next few weeks. :rolleyes:

[quote name='JaneMC' date='Jun 23 2008, 12:42 PM']
[quote name='CaliPoutine' date='Jun 23 2008, 02:06 PM']Anyone else canning?  I just made 5 pints of Ontario strawberry jam without pectin.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it sets up.

I think I'm going to make another batch mixing in some rasberries, blackberries and blueberries.  I might add some pomona pectin just for insurance.

View Post

[/quote]

#248 momcook

momcook
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:30 PM

We made a batch of chocolate covered cherry jam yesterday, with large sweet cherries :wub: Hoping to make some strawberry vanilla jam tomorrow.

Anyone else canning? I just made 5 pints of Ontario strawberry jam without pectin. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it sets up.

#249 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:35 PM

[quote name='momcook' date='Jun 23 2008, 08:19 PM']
Apricot-Raspberry is very nice. We make it whenever the raspberries are abundant. The 3 berry combo is also good, and we use Pomona in all, to keep the amount of sugar lower. Our raspberries are just starting to come in - hope to make some in the next few weeks. :rolleyes:

[quote name='JaneMC' date='Jun 23 2008, 12:42 PM']
[quote name='CaliPoutine' date='Jun 23 2008, 02:06 PM']Anyone else canning?  I just made 5 pints of Ontario strawberry jam without pectin.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it sets up.

View Post

[/quote]

View Post

[/quote]

I used some of the Pomona in the mixed berry jam. It set up beautifully and I only used 2 cups of sugar. I got 6.5 pints out of the batch.

#250 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:39 PM

So far this year I've only made cherry jam, but now I have some really nice currants, and the apricots are gorgeous. I'm thinking of doing them together, but only because I don't have a really good currant recipe. Is anyone doing jam or jelly with red currants?

#251 JaneMC

JaneMC
  • general member
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:46 PM

We made a batch of chocolate covered cherry jam yesterday, with large sweet cherries :wub:  Hoping to make some strawberry vanilla jam tomorrow.

Momcook, I find chocoalte covered cherry jam most interesting. Are you willing to share the recipe???

Anyone else canning?  I just made 5 pints of Ontario strawberry jam without pectin.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it sets up.

View Post

#252 momcook

momcook
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

Hi Jane,
This is my recipe:

7 generous cups (in a liquid measure) pitted and halved sweet cherries
1/2 cup water
juice of 1 Meyer lemon ( we have a Meyer tree, but any lemon is fine)
5 teaspoons calcium water (for the Pomona Pectin)
3 cups sugar
3 teaspoons Pomona Pectin
1/4 cup Dutch cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon Hazelnut flavoring (optional)
8 1/2 pint jars

Prepare the jars in a water bath. In a large pan, combine the cherries, water, calcium water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, pectin, and cocoa. Add to the boiling cherries, and stir well to dissolve. Test a spoonful on a cold plate for set. Add the hazelnut flavoring, and remove from the heat. Ladel into sterilized jars, and boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Once cooled, hide a jar or two for yourself :biggrin:

[quote name='JaneMC' date='Jun 24 2008, 04:46 PM']

Momcook, I find chocoalte covered cherry jam most interesting. Are you willing to share the recipe???

#253 JaneMC

JaneMC
  • general member
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:07 PM

[quote name='momcook' date='Jun 24 2008, 09:59 PM']
Hi Jane,
This is my recipe:

7 generous cups (in a liquid measure) pitted and halved sweet cherries
1/2 cup water
juice of 1 Meyer lemon ( we have a Meyer tree, but any lemon is fine)
5 teaspoons calcium water (for the Pomona Pectin)
3 cups sugar
3 teaspoons Pomona Pectin
1/4 cup Dutch cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon Hazelnut flavoring (optional)
8 1/2 pint jars

Prepare the jars in a water bath. In a large pan, combine the cherries, water, calcium water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, pectin, and cocoa. Add to the boiling cherries, and stir well to dissolve. Test a spoonful on a cold plate for set. Add the hazelnut flavoring, and remove from the heat. Ladel into sterilized jars, and boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Once cooled, hide a jar or two for yourself :biggrin:

Momcook, this sounds great! I'm still not sure where to get pomona pectin but I will figure it out. Thank you. I love cherries and any one who doesn't just don't get the love we have for them!

Thank You,
Jane

[quote name='JaneMC' date='Jun 24 2008, 04:46 PM']

View Post

[/quote]

#254 momcook

momcook
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:52 PM

Hi Jane,
You can order it online - pomonapectin.com. It comes by the box or the 1/2 pound. I find a 1/2 pound makes my years worth of jam. Sometimes I can find it locally in the health food stores by the box.

View Post

#255 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

Hi Jane,
You can order it online - pomonapectin.com.  It comes by the box or the 1/2 pound. I find a 1/2 pound makes my years worth of jam.  Sometimes I can find it locally in the health food stores by the box.

View Post

View Post

I bought 1/2lb as it never expires( unlike the boxed pectin from the grocery store)

Edited by CaliPoutine, 25 June 2008 - 05:58 PM.

#256 Heartsease

Heartsease
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:39 PM

Greetings all,

In all the years I have been preserving I have never screwed up two batches of jelly in one day. I made a wild strawberry and mulberry combo and added granulated pectin to it. The recipe I had does not call for lemon juice. The sugar was 4.5 cups to 3.5 cups of juice. It tastes great but one batch won't jell and you could walk on the other one. Any ideas? does pectin ever get old?

#257 momcook

momcook
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:00 PM

Ouch! Yes, pectin can expire. The other possibility is that it will still set up. Jelly can be tricky, and take a little while to set sometimes. I took a quick look at some of my canning books, and the Ball "Complete Home Preserving" has a strawberry jelly recipe that calls for 3 1/2 cups juice, 1 package regular powdered fruit pectin, and 4 1/2 cups sugar, the same as you used. There is a note in the book that "check the date on your package of pectin. Products that have expired may not set properly." I have also had a problem with jelly setting when I have not brought it to a high enough boil. Generally, I like liquid pectin for jelly - it seems to be much easier to set than the powdered kind. Hopefully your jelly will set after it sits a little while. On the batch that set too firm, I'm guessing the boiling point was reached, which set it well.

Greetings all,

In all the years I have been preserving I have never screwed up two batches of jelly in one day.  I made a wild strawberry and mulberry combo and added granulated pectin to it.  The recipe I had does not call for lemon juice.  The sugar was 4.5 cups to 3.5 cups of juice.  It tastes great but one batch won't jell and you could walk on the other one.  Any ideas?  does pectin ever get old?

View Post

#258 Heartsease

Heartsease
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:44 PM

Thank you ma'am. I wiped the jars off and put them in the pantry for a two week rest *G*, if they don't set by then I am going to make some lovely syrup for farmers market.

LA

Ouch!  Yes, pectin can expire. The other possibility is that it will still set up. Jelly can be tricky, and take a little while to set sometimes.  I took a quick look at some of my canning books, and the Ball "Complete Home Preserving"  has a strawberry jelly recipe that calls for 3 1/2 cups juice, 1 package regular powdered fruit pectin, and 4 1/2 cups sugar, the same as you used. There is a note in the book that "check the date on your package of pectin. Products that have expired may not set properly."  I have also had a problem with jelly setting when I have not brought it to a high enough boil. Generally, I like liquid pectin for jelly - it seems to be much easier to set than the powdered kind.  Hopefully your jelly will set after it sits a little while. On the batch that set too firm, I'm guessing the boiling point was reached, which set it well.

#259 amdellutri

amdellutri
  • legacy participant
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:26 PM

View Post

So far I've made:

Peach and Lavender
Peach, Amaretto and Almonds
Strawberry-Rhubarb
Raspberry

I'll be working on the following this week:
Strawberry Mint, Blueberry and Cherry Vanilla

The Cherries have been pretty good so far. If I can get more of the same next week, I might try some Cherry Pie Filling which will be a first for me.

#260 kreed

kreed
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:24 AM

Made some strawberry freezer jam this weekend.

#261 pastrymama

pastrymama
  • participating member
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:09 AM

I always have a lot of berries left over at work that I freeze to make sauces etc. I made a huge batch of mixed berry jam and now I have to find a use for it.

Any suggestions?
check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

#262 lperry

lperry
  • participating member
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:44 AM

Any suggestions?

View Post

This page might help. :smile:

#263 Sony

Sony
  • participating member
  • 406 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:25 PM

I have a question that I figured might be useful/answered on this thread.....

I bought some jars to put up some strawberry preserves this weekend. I used Ferber's method of macerating/resting/syrup boiling (oddly, I could not get the temp higher than 218 F, so I have a feeling it'll be runnier that expected....ah well, it's strawberries in syrup, then :wink: )

Anyway, I opened up a new set of jars, plunked them in boiling water to sanitize, filled, wiped off the edges, carefully placed on the lid, screwed on the band......and then it occurred to me that the lids are perfectly FLAT- no "button" to check if the seal has been made. I've never seen such a thing before......

So, my question: how do I know if my jars are sealed properly? I'm keeping them in the fridge right now just to be on the safe side.....

#264 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:49 PM

[QUOTE]Anyway, I opened up a new set of jars, plunked them in boiling water to sanitize, filled, wiped off the edges, carefully placed on the lid, screwed on the band......and then it occurred to me that the lids are perfectly FLAT- no "button" to check if the seal has been made. I've never seen such a thing before......

What kind of jars are they? Can we see a pic?

#265 MightyD

MightyD
  • participating member
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:58 PM

Does anyone have a good recipe for cherry preserves that do not require commercial pectin? I've been searching high and low for such a recipe but no luck :sad:

#266 momcook

momcook
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:12 PM

From "Fine Preserving" by Catherine Plagemann

Spiced Cherries

Wash, pit and stem enough sweet cherries for 5 cups
Boil 4 cups of granulated sugar with:
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. cloves
Then add cherries and cook until the jam is thick. Test before removing it from the stove by placing a few teaspoonfuls on chilled saucer and cooling it quickly on ice. Makes 5 1/2 pints. Tastes best when allowed to age a few months.

Does anyone have a good recipe for cherry preserves that do not require commercial pectin?  I've been searching high and low for such a recipe but no luck  :sad:

View Post

#267 Abra

Abra
  • participating member
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:31 PM

I did end up making a really good currant jam, and then an even better currant jam tart with the jam that I hadn't already eaten on toast. The recipes for both are here.

#268 Heartsease

Heartsease
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:41 AM

I have a question that I figured might be useful/answered on this thread.....

So, my question: how do I know if my jars are sealed properly? I'm keeping them in the fridge right now just to be on the safe side.....

View Post

I bought some of those kind as well and they seal just fine. After I took them out of the boiling water bath they started "pinging" within minutes. All twelve pinged within five minutes.

#269 MightyD

MightyD
  • participating member
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:49 AM

From "Fine Preserving" by Catherine Plagemann

Spiced Cherries

Wash, pit and stem enough sweet cherries for 5 cups
Boil 4 cups of granulated sugar with:
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. cloves
Then add cherries and cook until the jam is thick. Test before removing it from the stove by placing a few teaspoonfuls on chilled saucer and cooling it quickly on ice. Makes 5 1/2 pints. Tastes best when allowed to age a few months.

Does anyone have a good recipe for cherry preserves that do not require commercial pectin?  I've been searching high and low for such a recipe but no luck  :sad:

View Post

View Post

momcook, that sounds awesome - thanks!

#270 JaneMC

JaneMC
  • general member
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:11 AM

Hi Everyone,

Well I just got done canning butterscotch peach jam. I didn't have enough brown sugar so I added some white. I always use less sugar then they say. I just heard the last can pop. Can't wait to dig in. Okay I have a little and I mean very little left over. I wish it didn't take so long to make crossiants.....ummmm.

Jane