Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Lemon Curd: The Topic

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#211 jdtofbna

jdtofbna
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:43 AM

Ditto that. I used the Fine Cooking recipe to make a tart over the weekend and it was absolutely the best---and easiest---lemon curd I've ever made. I did go ahead at the end and beat it in a bowl over ice to cool it down. No straining, just the right balance of tart and sweet---perfect!
I may be in Nashville but my heart's in Cornwall

#212 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:00 AM

Almost lemon....Grapefruit Curd in Black Sesame Shell.
Posted Image

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#213 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:34 AM

rob, nice tartlette. how did the curd come out?

i made some meyer lemon curd this weekend. used vanilla sugar and instead of cooking it with the butter, added it at the end and used my immersion blender...smooth, creamy and delicious! served it over macerated strawberries and raspberries on shortcakes (biscuits) with some unsweetened whipped cream.

only thing i'd do differently is use even less sugar for the meyer lemons. i reduced the sugar by one third of what the recipe called for and used more lemon juice, but they were so sweet (relatively speaking) i could have cut back on the sugar even more.

#214 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:06 AM

I used Amernick's recipe and it was not overly sweet. It was not set up enough for my liking, but perfect for pouring in a cup. I liked the grapefruit tang with the sweetness of curd.

#215 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:42 AM

Cool Rob. Grapefruit is one of my current favorite flavors so you can toss one of those this way if you want. :biggrin:
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#216 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:00 AM

Has anyone tried frozen lemon concentrate for curd before? I'm sure this desire to not juice one more f&%$ing lemon will pass once I get rested from the holidays, but I'm curious if there's much taste difference.

#217 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:31 PM

I'll take that as a No and keep on squeezing.

#218 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,873 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

View Post

Haven't tried it, but I suspect it might really boost the flavour? Are you going to try it for us?

#219 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

I haven't tried it either but I'd be willing to just for the curiosity factor. Only problem is, I don't think the local grocery carries frozen lemon juice concentrate, just frozen lemonade concentrate, so it wouldn't be an accurate taste test. I was planning to work on an experimental grapefruit curd idea today or tomorrow so I don't mind doing an additional test while I'm at it if I can find a frozen lemon juice concentrate but I know the store pretty well and I don't remember seeing it there.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#220 momcook

momcook
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

View Post

i have frozen my lemons fresh and used later - but this is when i love mom's old trusty electric juicer :wink:

#221 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:15 PM

Alright. I took one for the team. I used a frozen Minute Made lemon juice from concentrate. Just juice and water. It was on sale for $2 for 250g. My recipe needed 450g so I added fresh - another 5 lemons. This wasn't a controlled experiment since I combined juices, but it gave me a good idea of the outcome.

I found the taste to be just a bit more subdued than normal. Still tangy and it saved me a decent amount of time. If I could find a bigger bottle of the concentrate I would try it again or find it on sale again. But it seems like a reasonable substitute. It definitely needs to be the frozen juice though not the lemonade.

#222 ambra

ambra
  • participating member
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:50 AM

EMERGENCY!!

I made the FC Lemon Curd recipe and it came out just toooo sweet. Is there anything I can do to save it? It is going to be the filling for a cake. Is the only option to make the cake less sweet or can I do something to the curd? I just tasted it on Bread and it was still too sweet so short of making a sugarless cake, I don't know what to do....

Thank you!

#223 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,409 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

I don't use the FC recipe but I have had a similar experience.

My fix was to put the curd in a double boiler, add 1/4 cup of lemon juice for each quart of curd, heat it fully and then add in an additional egg yolk then finish the process.
It should set up just as well as at first.

(My recipe makes 8 pints)
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#224 Luke

Luke
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:10 AM

Hello All,

I just made the recipe from Elinor Klivans shown here.
http://www.finecooki...lemon_curd.aspx

I have never made lemon curd (or as I call it Lemon Butter) before.

The recipe and technique seemed very strait forward. The pictures helped ease any concern, especially regarding the splitting when lemon juice was added. I did make it with the assistance of a candy thermometer, but mixture thickened at exactly the right temperature.

I found the finished product to be fantastic. I would not say it turned out silky smooth, but very smooth compared to most lemon curds I have tasted. The whole process was incredibly easy (no need for double boilers, no straining required) and I can't wait to make another batch.

Cheers
Luke

#225 QbanCrackr

QbanCrackr
  • participating member
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:09 AM

so the title says it all...i made a lemon curd a couple of times--one using stainless tools (bowls, whisk) and another using wood & glass. both times i followed the recipes exactly and when it was on the stove cooking (double boiler) it started smelling very metallic. when it cooled, the taste lessened a little bit but it was still very strong...to the point that 1/6 people liked it (and the following day that 1 person backed down)

used it solo as a topping for fruit and also as an ingredient in other recipes (lemon mousse)...its not just lemons but limes as well (key lime juice + eggs for key lime pie and same thing)

anyone know why this is happening (so i learn the reasons) as well as any tips for it not to happen (if this is even possible)?

thanks
Danny

#226 RWood

RWood
  • participating member
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:54 AM

I don't know what your recipe is like, but I have found if there are too many yolks, it tends to taste metallic to me. I use a recipe that has half whole eggs and half yolks.
I have tried a lemon curd that had a little lime juice added, and I thought it took away from the lemon flavor.

#227 QbanCrackr

QbanCrackr
  • participating member
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:23 PM

hmm...to be honest it was a while since i made it..just kind of gave up on it to be honest...frustrated me a bit not knowing what was happening

in any case, i don't really remember using both yolks + whole eggs. most recipes i've tried from the joy of cooking have come out good for me, and even their lemon curd recipe takes just yolks

this is the recipe from JoC

1-2/3 cups yield
3 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
grated zest from 1 lemon
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
6 tablespoons buter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Danny

#228 JAZ

JAZ
  • manager
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:45 PM

I made two batches of lemon bars (using Rose Beranbaum's recipe, which is my standard for curd) and something odd happened to the second batch as the bars were cooking. The curd developed a white sort of foamy layer on top.

This happened one other time to me ages ago, at which point someone told me I might have whisked too much air into the curd. Since then, I've been careful to mix more gently, and until today, I'd never had a recurrence.

Anyone know why this happens? It's not a big deal since the top can be covered with powdered sugar, but they're for a class, and I'd like to be able to tell my students why it happened to one batch and not the other.

#229 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

uhm... :wink: I used frozen lemon juice concentrate with mint leaves infused...

#230 muse

muse
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

The best and easiest Meyer lemon curd recipe I have ever used, I found on http://www.eddyvanda...er-lemon-tarts/ . The method is like none I have ever seen and it works fantastic.

#231 lironp

lironp
  • participating member
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:42 AM

The white foam happened to me a few times as well, I think I incorporated too much air when whisking at the beginning. I switched to using a spatula instead (which involved an interesting experiment of me finding out the hard way which of my spatulas was made out of silicone, and which out of plastic :laugh: ) and one thing I did notice is that when I heated it enough and the mixture thickened, the white foam did get incorporated eventually

#232 jenc

jenc
  • participating member
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:18 AM

The best and easiest Meyer lemon curd recipe I have ever used, I found on http://www.eddyvanda...er-lemon-tarts/ . The method is like none I have ever seen and it works fantastic.

whoa. thanks for the recipe and site!!
foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

#233 lostbaker

lostbaker
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:20 AM

So I went through this entire thread.. Couldn't figure out which one is the favorite. It seems everyone really like Fine Cooking's, but found it too runny. Which one would you recommend?