Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Lemon Curd: The Topic

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#211 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:55 PM

1 c juice from about 6 lemons..(ha..took 9 for me, bad lemons??)
1 teaspoon powdered gelatin

View Post

Did you warm the lemons? If you put them whole into the microwave for about 25 seconds, one at a time, you will find you get a lot more juice. I almost always need less lemons than the recipe calls for to get the juice.

View Post

yes, damn near burned my hands doing so. Ever get a lemon with about a 1/2 inch of pith??

View Post

any citrus fruit you pick should be heavy for its size. these will usually yield more juice than what appears to be a big lemon but is very light for its size.

#212 JohnRichardson

JohnRichardson
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:42 AM

OMG, I tried the herme cream (with slight modifications) yesterday. I've made alton's version before and thought it was yummy, but this was even better.

I made a 1 1/3 batch, and to try and make it a bit thicker, since I was using it as lemon meringue pie filling, I used yolks instead of whole eggs + 1/3 the number of yolks as whole eggs. My recipe was 6 egg yolks + 2 eggs, 1 cup of lemon juice, zest of 4 lemons, 14 ounces of butter and 1 1/3 cups of sugar. Standard method, double boiler to measured 180 degrees, strained and blended once at 140 to incorporate butter in soft chunks and for 4 minutes after incorporation.

I think it's way way way too ridiculously rich for pie filling but the texture was perfect for pie; the cut edges around the missing wedges are still standing after 12 hours and it's the most amazingly smooth creamy lemony thing ever. I'll bet in a tart or tartlet it would be perfect.

Tangential to the issue of lemon cream, from a technical standpoint as a pie this is my best effort yet. The meringue is non-weepingly non-soggily flawless (Italian; 6 whites and 3/4 of that by weight in sugar cooked to soft ball and blended into soft-peaked whites then taken to stiff glossy peaks, then browned under the broiler after topping the pie) and it's the best crust I've ever made. The crust was RLB's cream cheese crust from her website, which is much easier when you have a food processor and can easily work with frozen butter :) Doubt I'll use the the proc much for anything else once the novelty wears off, but even if it was a $200 pie crust mixer it might be worth it to me. This was tender, flaky, flavorful, and very easy to roll out/transfer/crimp. Shrunk a little becuase I didn't let it rest enough after crimping it, just froze it for 20 mins and blind-baked due to time constraints, and I probably took the weights out a bit too soon.

But the cream, A+ would make again.

#213 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:57 AM

My husband and I made lemon curd for many years until I got sick of it and also had to start watching my cholesterol. We tasted many commercial and artisanal curds and we always felt this one compared well. It is an easy recipe and very reliable; believe me, if it was a delicate operation we would be divorced by now. We never used a thermometer. The proportions and timing were arrived at after years of tweaking. It's quite tart. We experimented with using limes instead of lemons and cutting back the amount of sugar, and that wasn't half bad. This recipe yields approx 3 half-pint jars with a few tablespoons left over. The result is very spreadable, medium stiff. Perhaps if you want it very stiff you could cook it another five minutes. The consistency would work for a lemon tart I think, but we mainly used it as a spread for toast.

7/8 cup lemon juice (from 4 or 5 lemons--not meyer--way too sweet)
fine zest from 3 of the lemons
4.5 medium-large eggs (okay I know that's a bit strange, but there it is)
1 stick sweet butter
1.5 cup plus 3T sugar

Sterilize jars as you like. Grate lemon rind, eliminating all pith, set aside. Squeeze lemons and strain the juice to get 7/8 c. Beat the eggs (I would beat 5 and then pour off what I guessed was about a half an egg. My husband learned to look the other way. When he used all 5 eggs I thought the end product was too eggy.) In a double boiler melt the butter, keeping the water at a modest simmer. When just melted add sugar, juice, zest. When warm but not too hot, add the beaten eggs--all at once, not slowly, so you keep them from cooking too quickly. Simmer uncovered over medium or med-low heat, stirring constantly, about 20 minutes, til smooth and creamy. The consistency may look questionnable the first 10 minutes, but keep stirring and have faith. It should end up smooth and creamy. Ladle into jars. Keeps 2 months in the fridge.

#214 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:25 AM

Will any tart fruit and a little lemon juice (or citric acid?) work for a curd? I'm thinking of trying it with some of the morello cherry puree I have in the freezer. I've done the citrus curds, passionfruit curd and raspberry curd but there's a whole world of tart fruits out there to play with. Experimenting is not a problem but I might as well start by learning from what others have already tried and how well it worked (or didn't).
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#215 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:36 AM

Check out the curd section of the Pastry & Baking Index which has a non lemon/lime topic HERE.

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#216 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:47 AM

Should have known that would exist. Thanks!

Edit: Ok, looks like the answer is to start experimenting. Lots of ideas in that thread but not much "I tried this, it worked/didn't work/required this" so I guess I get to play. :biggrin:

Edited by Tri2Cook, 08 November 2007 - 11:57 AM.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#217 Pephemie

Pephemie
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:08 PM

Hm, I was comparing that Fine Cooking recipe to the one I used to make at my old job, and they're exactly the same, except that our recipe had 2x the amount of eggs and yolks. I don't recall there being any weird metallic taste but I wasn't looking for it, so I suppose I'd have to try again.

We never waited for the curd to cool before adding the butter, and the product definitely got grainy after a vacation in the fridge.

Testing the Fine Cooking recipe tomorrow at work with some satsuma mandarins...

#218 yunnermeier

yunnermeier
  • participating member
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:16 PM

I followed the Fine Cooking recipe and I love it! It's very lemony with just the right amount of sweetness. Lovely colour and it wasn't runny at all.

Edited by yunnermeier, 18 March 2008 - 12:16 PM.

#219 jdtofbna

jdtofbna
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:43 AM

Ditto that. I used the Fine Cooking recipe to make a tart over the weekend and it was absolutely the best---and easiest---lemon curd I've ever made. I did go ahead at the end and beat it in a bowl over ice to cool it down. No straining, just the right balance of tart and sweet---perfect!
I may be in Nashville but my heart's in Cornwall

#220 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:00 AM

Almost lemon....Grapefruit Curd in Black Sesame Shell.
Posted Image

#221 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:34 AM

rob, nice tartlette. how did the curd come out?

i made some meyer lemon curd this weekend. used vanilla sugar and instead of cooking it with the butter, added it at the end and used my immersion blender...smooth, creamy and delicious! served it over macerated strawberries and raspberries on shortcakes (biscuits) with some unsweetened whipped cream.

only thing i'd do differently is use even less sugar for the meyer lemons. i reduced the sugar by one third of what the recipe called for and used more lemon juice, but they were so sweet (relatively speaking) i could have cut back on the sugar even more.

#222 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:06 AM

I used Amernick's recipe and it was not overly sweet. It was not set up enough for my liking, but perfect for pouring in a cup. I liked the grapefruit tang with the sweetness of curd.

#223 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:42 AM

Cool Rob. Grapefruit is one of my current favorite flavors so you can toss one of those this way if you want. :biggrin:

#224 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:04 AM

I've recently had a rash of folks who want to buy my lemon curd. Great! But, I really can't keep doing it to order with my schedule. Has anyone made a curd that either has an extended life in the fridge, or better yet, shelf stable? Is the citric acid that Kerry had me get going to be my key?

~Puckeringly yours!

#225 tmriga

tmriga
  • participating member
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:10 AM

Oh, I love curds!

What's my prize if I tell you what to do? Just kidding.

The best places to look for information on canning are through argricultural/cooperative extensions at state colleges and universities. Here's a link to the University of Missouri cooperative extension. Just use your recipe and their procedure.

http://extension.mis...Sep05/curd.html

I tasted a fabulous lemon curd at the NY Fancy Food Show. It had a great backnote of butter to it. Does your recipe have a lot of butter in it?

Theresa :biggrin:
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
- Abraham Lincoln

#226 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:41 AM

You can make a curd without butter?! :biggrin:

I use a zipped up version of Amernick's Lime Curd which I have made into a number of flavors. Its very good and very easy. thanks for the link.

#227 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:22 AM

It wouldn't help for display purposes but I use Ph's lemon cream and it freezes really well. You could portion it into saleable amounts and have it ready to go upon request.
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#228 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,840 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:34 AM

It wouldn't help for display purposes but I use Ph's lemon cream and it freezes really well. You could portion it into saleable amounts and have it ready to go upon request.

View Post

Unless he has a display freezer . . I always make large batches and freeze lemon (or lime) curd.

#229 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:00 AM

Has anyone tried frozen lemon concentrate for curd before? I'm sure this desire to not juice one more f&%$ing lemon will pass once I get rested from the holidays, but I'm curious if there's much taste difference.

#230 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:31 PM

I'll take that as a No and keep on squeezing.

#231 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,004 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

View Post

Haven't tried it, but I suspect it might really boost the flavour? Are you going to try it for us?

#232 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

I haven't tried it either but I'd be willing to just for the curiosity factor. Only problem is, I don't think the local grocery carries frozen lemon juice concentrate, just frozen lemonade concentrate, so it wouldn't be an accurate taste test. I was planning to work on an experimental grapefruit curd idea today or tomorrow so I don't mind doing an additional test while I'm at it if I can find a frozen lemon juice concentrate but I know the store pretty well and I don't remember seeing it there.

#233 momcook

momcook
  • participating member
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

View Post

i have frozen my lemons fresh and used later - but this is when i love mom's old trusty electric juicer :wink:

#234 gfron1

gfron1
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:15 PM

Alright. I took one for the team. I used a frozen Minute Made lemon juice from concentrate. Just juice and water. It was on sale for $2 for 250g. My recipe needed 450g so I added fresh - another 5 lemons. This wasn't a controlled experiment since I combined juices, but it gave me a good idea of the outcome.

I found the taste to be just a bit more subdued than normal. Still tangy and it saved me a decent amount of time. If I could find a bigger bottle of the concentrate I would try it again or find it on sale again. But it seems like a reasonable substitute. It definitely needs to be the frozen juice though not the lemonade.

#235 ambra

ambra
  • participating member
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:50 AM

EMERGENCY!!

I made the FC Lemon Curd recipe and it came out just toooo sweet. Is there anything I can do to save it? It is going to be the filling for a cake. Is the only option to make the cake less sweet or can I do something to the curd? I just tasted it on Bread and it was still too sweet so short of making a sugarless cake, I don't know what to do....

Thank you!

#236 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,489 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

I don't use the FC recipe but I have had a similar experience.

My fix was to put the curd in a double boiler, add 1/4 cup of lemon juice for each quart of curd, heat it fully and then add in an additional egg yolk then finish the process.
It should set up just as well as at first.

(My recipe makes 8 pints)
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#237 Luke

Luke
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:10 AM

Hello All,

I just made the recipe from Elinor Klivans shown here.
http://www.finecooki...lemon_curd.aspx

I have never made lemon curd (or as I call it Lemon Butter) before.

The recipe and technique seemed very strait forward. The pictures helped ease any concern, especially regarding the splitting when lemon juice was added. I did make it with the assistance of a candy thermometer, but mixture thickened at exactly the right temperature.

I found the finished product to be fantastic. I would not say it turned out silky smooth, but very smooth compared to most lemon curds I have tasted. The whole process was incredibly easy (no need for double boilers, no straining required) and I can't wait to make another batch.

Cheers
Luke

#238 QbanCrackr

QbanCrackr
  • participating member
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:09 AM

so the title says it all...i made a lemon curd a couple of times--one using stainless tools (bowls, whisk) and another using wood & glass. both times i followed the recipes exactly and when it was on the stove cooking (double boiler) it started smelling very metallic. when it cooled, the taste lessened a little bit but it was still very strong...to the point that 1/6 people liked it (and the following day that 1 person backed down)

used it solo as a topping for fruit and also as an ingredient in other recipes (lemon mousse)...its not just lemons but limes as well (key lime juice + eggs for key lime pie and same thing)

anyone know why this is happening (so i learn the reasons) as well as any tips for it not to happen (if this is even possible)?

thanks
Danny

#239 RWood

RWood
  • participating member
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:54 AM

I don't know what your recipe is like, but I have found if there are too many yolks, it tends to taste metallic to me. I use a recipe that has half whole eggs and half yolks.
I have tried a lemon curd that had a little lime juice added, and I thought it took away from the lemon flavor.

#240 QbanCrackr

QbanCrackr
  • participating member
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:23 PM

hmm...to be honest it was a while since i made it..just kind of gave up on it to be honest...frustrated me a bit not knowing what was happening

in any case, i don't really remember using both yolks + whole eggs. most recipes i've tried from the joy of cooking have come out good for me, and even their lemon curd recipe takes just yolks

this is the recipe from JoC

1-2/3 cups yield
3 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
grated zest from 1 lemon
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
6 tablespoons buter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Danny