Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Lemon Curd: The Topic

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#151 Jensen

Jensen
  • participating member
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:36 AM

Thank you for the recipe, Jensen.

It occurred to me after I asked the question that I could do the lemon curd filling like a lemon pie filling -- cooking cornstarch with water, then adding the other ingredients.

View Post

Yeah, that's why I dug out this recipe. The original is for "apple cheese cake", essentially a pie made of apple slices in lemon cheese. I think the whole eggs make it thick enough to stand up as a pie filling but while maintaining the richness associated with lemon curd.

#152 McDuff

McDuff
  • participating member
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:12 PM

I need a recipe to use as a filling in a 3 tier wedding cake (unexpected request, has to be ready saturday). I'd like something that sets a little firmer than a typical curd. Anyone have a recipe they've used in this way?

Thanks in advance!

View Post

Pierre Herme's Lemon Cream. Line the cake pans with plastic wrap, freeze the cream in the pan, then lay it right into the cake as you construct it.

#153 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:48 PM

I need a recipe to use as a filling in a 3 tier wedding cake (unexpected request, has to be ready saturday). I'd like something that sets a little firmer than a typical curd. Anyone have a recipe they've used in this way?

Thanks in advance!

View Post

Pierre Herme's Lemon Cream. Line the cake pans with plastic wrap, freeze the cream in the pan, then lay it right into the cake as you construct it.

View Post

I've done that before, e.g. in Herme's Riviera, but never in a 12" cake that will likely be out of refrigeration for several hours before serving. I'm afraid that it would not stand up well.
"If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?" - Rumi

#154 McDuff

McDuff
  • participating member
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:11 PM

Thanks in advance!

View Post

View Post

I've done that before, e.g. in Herme's Riviera, but never in a 12" cake that will likely be out of refrigeration for several hours before serving. I'm afraid that it would not stand up well.

View Post

why do you think lemon curd would stand up any better? the lemon cream is really nothing but a curd with the butter added at a different point at a different temp and then whizzed with a stick blender. You could make a lemon gel insert that won't melt. I did that once with passion fruit and it worked ok.

Edited by McDuff, 27 July 2006 - 05:12 PM.

#155 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:27 PM

Thanks in advance!

View Post

View Post

View Post

why do you think lemon curd would stand up any better?

View Post

I don't, at least not a typical lemon curd, which is why I asked for a recipe "that sets a little firmer than a typical curd." What I just did, and tomorrow I'll see how it turns out, is make something similar to Herme's lemon cream, just with a higher proportion of eggs and a lower proportion of butter. I ended up using 12 yolks + 2 whole eggs to 1C juice, 3T zest, 300g sugar, 240g butter mixed in at the end.

#156 mukki

mukki
  • participating member
  • 478 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:12 PM

I was searching for passionfruit curd and decided to use the FC recipe, but substitute Boiron passionfruit puree for the lemon juice. It turned out wonderful ~ I can barely stop eating it. I think it would be perfect in small tart shells (I'm thinking the City Bakery recipe) with a browned Italian meringue a la Dahlia Bakery. I'll probably try yuzu, too: anyone have a favorite brand of bottled yuzu juice that can be found in a Japanese market (e.g., Mitsuwa)?

I like the fact that the recipe has so much less butter than the Herme recipe. Makes me feel that much less guilty when I spoon it directly from the fridge. :biggrin:

#157 shaloop

shaloop
  • participating member
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:34 PM

I was searching for passionfruit curd and decided to use the FC recipe, but substitute Boiron passionfruit puree for the lemon juice. It turned out wonderful ~ I can barely stop eating it.

View Post

I made the FC lemon curd a few days ago but used 1/2 c lemon juice and 1/2 c butter. It came out wonderful!!! It was firmer than when made using the recipe as written (as I'd hoped) and still just the right tartness and sweetness for me and so smooth and creamy. I used half, lightened with whipped cream for a cake roll for a friend and the other half got eaten, spoonfull at a time, straight out of the fridge. :biggrin: I bought more lemons.

#158 Dave Hatfield

Dave Hatfield
  • participating member
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:50 PM

You may want to try this. Look at about June 26th.

This is a recipe for Lemon Cheese which is then incorporated into what I call a lemon Brulee. Never fails to please especially when the roasted fruit variation is served.

I'll try to remember to take some pictures next time I make this. It looks great when served in tall open mouthed glasses.

#159 LittleIsland

LittleIsland
  • participating member
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:59 AM

Carrying on from Patrick's search for a lemon curd that sets a little firmer than a typical curd, can anyone tell me if adding the additional eggs (and should it be just yolks?) will work to produce a slightly firmer curd? I'd like to use it in as a cake filling as well - sitting over a cream filling in the middle, and on the top of the cake.

I used RLB's recipe and am wanting to try the FC recipe, but need it to set firmer.

#160 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:22 AM

Carrying on from Patrick's search for a lemon curd that sets a little firmer than a typical curd, can anyone tell me if adding the additional eggs (and should it be just yolks?) will work to produce a slightly firmer curd?  I'd like to use it in as a cake filling as well - sitting over a cream filling in the middle, and on the top of the cake.

I used RLB's recipe and am wanting to try the FC recipe, but need it to set firmer.

View Post

I filled a wedding cake using the egg-rich recipe I posted a while back, and it worked out fine -- no squishing out of lemon curd when the cake was cut, even on the 12" tier. But if you want a lemon filling that is pretty much gauranteed to be firm enough, you could do a cornstarch-thickened lemon filling, as you would do for a lemon meringue pie.

#161 RuthWells

RuthWells
  • participating member
  • 671 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:56 AM

Carrying on from Patrick's search for a lemon curd that sets a little firmer than a typical curd, can anyone tell me if adding the additional eggs (and should it be just yolks?) will work to produce a slightly firmer curd?  I'd like to use it in as a cake filling as well - sitting over a cream filling in the middle, and on the top of the cake.

View Post

I filled a wedding cake using the egg-rich recipe I posted a while back, and it worked out fine -- no squishing out of lemon curd when the cake was cut, even on the 12" tier. But if you want a lemon filling that is pretty much gauranteed to be firm enough, you could do a cornstarch-thickened lemon filling, as you would do for a lemon meringue pie.

View Post

Patrick, do you have any pix of the wedding cake to show off? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see it!

#162 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:25 AM

View Post

View Post

Patrick, do you have any pix of the wedding cake to show off? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see it!

View Post

Thanks, Ruth, but me showing off my wedding cake here, in the company of true cake decorating black belts, would be like entering a rusted-out 72' Ford Pinto in the car show . . . I'd rather not! I'll describe it though -- three tiers, 6", 9", 12", each tier filled with lemon curd, and covered with vanilla mousseline buttercream. A small red ribbon was around the base of each tier. I was asked to do the cake like 2 days before the wedding (nephew's shotgun wedding), so it was rushed.

#163 oli

oli
  • participating member
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:04 AM

View Post

View Post

View Post

Thanks, Ruth, but me showing off my wedding cake here, in the company of true cake decorating black belts, would be like entering a rusted-out 72' Ford Pinto in the car show . . . I'd rather not! I'll describe it though -- three tiers, 6", 9", 12", each tier filled with lemon curd, and covered with vanilla mousseline buttercream. A small red ribbon was around the base of each tier. I was asked to do the cake like 2 days before the wedding (nephew's shotgun wedding), so it was rushed.

View Post

Aw, come on. Your photos are always great, I'll bet your just being modest. Your decorating is probably better than most, and with a little creative posing, you could bring out the best in the photo of the cake I know its definitely better than mine.

#164 RuthWells

RuthWells
  • participating member
  • 671 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:44 AM

View Post

Hey there, Mister, if I can post a cake here, so can you!! It sounds lucious.

#165 LittleIsland

LittleIsland
  • participating member
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:36 PM

But if you want a lemon filling that is pretty much gauranteed to be firm enough, you could do a cornstarch-thickened lemon filling, as you would do for a lemon meringue pie.

View Post

Thanks Patrick... will try. I will add my entreaty to the others to see your cake :biggrin:

#166 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:53 AM

I'm thinking of layering lemon curd with cheesecake.

As in (from bottom up) some sort of crust, lemon curd, cheesecake, and then lemon curd again.

But should I bake the first three layers (crust, curd cheesecake) and then pour more lemon curd on top and bake just until it sets?

I want to try the PH recipe, unless it's not as perfectly suited to what I have in mind as something else?
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#167 Sethro

Sethro
  • participating member
  • 637 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:57 PM

As in (from bottom up) some sort of crust, lemon curd, cheesecake, and then lemon curd again.

But should I bake the first three layers (crust, curd cheesecake) and then pour more lemon curd on top and bake just until it sets?

I want to try the PH recipe, unless it's not as perfectly suited to what I have in mind as something else?

View Post

That layering isn't going to work out well. You can't really bake a curd unless you have a ton of cornstarch in it, and I'm asuming you'll want to bake the cheesecake layer. Unless it's a no bake cheesecake, but the cure would still squish out under the weight unless you cut it while frozen I guess.

I would just recomend a thin layer of curd on top.

#168 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:56 AM

View Post

That layering isn't going to work out well. You can't really bake a curd unless you have a ton of cornstarch in it, and I'm asuming you'll want to bake the cheesecake layer. Unless it's a no bake cheesecake, but the cure would still squish out under the weight unless you cut it while frozen I guess.

View Post

*pouts* Oh well. At least someone told me before I found out the hard way.

Thanks Sethro!

Hmm... But Lemon Curd does freeze okay, right? I think K8 talked about freezing the stuff?

So I could bake cheesecake (without a base) on a sheetpan, and layer it. :cool:
May

#169 Sethro

Sethro
  • participating member
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:18 AM

View Post

View Post

*pouts* Oh well. At least someone told me before I found out the hard way.

Thanks Sethro!

Hmm... But Lemon Curd does freeze okay, right? I think K8 talked about freezing the stuff?

So I could bake cheesecake (without a base) on a sheetpan, and layer it. :cool:

View Post

When I used to do this I would par-bake the crust (not always necesary depending on the type), bake the cheesecake right onto that, let it cool and then spread the still warm curd over top. Freeze and cut.
Posted Image

Edited by Sethro, 10 March 2007 - 10:24 AM.

#170 jess mebane

jess mebane
  • participating member
  • 566 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:27 PM

I just gotta kno, Sethromybro, is that marjoram or thyme atop your confection?

I would just like to dedicate this morning's lemon bars to Joanne Chang at Flour bakery; thanks for posting when those bastards at Taunton's tried to gatekeep your recipe. Your curd is the wurd, JC.

#171 Sethro

Sethro
  • participating member
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:54 PM

It was micro cinammon basil.

#172 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:03 PM

*groan* So that's what I forgot today: Cream cheese for my plan to imitate the inimitable Sethro!
May

#173 arriba!

arriba!
  • participating member
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:40 AM

I might need to start a new thread for this question but hope it gets noticed here. Can PH lemon cream be used instead of lemon curd to make a lemon curd cake? This is not Emily Lucchetti's curd cake where the curd is mixed into the batter--it is a layer cake with curd between the layers and mixed with whipped cream for icing.

#174 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:57 AM

I might need to start a new thread for this question but hope it gets noticed here.  Can PH lemon cream be used instead of lemon curd to make a lemon curd cake?  This is not Emily Lucchetti's curd cake where the curd is mixed into the batter--it is a layer cake with curd between the layers and mixed with whipped cream for icing.

View Post

You will need a buttercream dam for the layers. And you will have to cut the cake frozen.

Not sure how it'll last mixed with the whipped cream for icing.
May

#175 arriba!

arriba!
  • participating member
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:40 AM

I have made the cake several times using lemon curd--I have learned the "tricks" the hard way--chill layers before icing, make dam to prevent curd seepage, make 4 thin layers instead of 2 thicker ones, use skewers until it is set etc. I love the curd/cream icing and just wondered if the lemon cream will give the same results as curd. This has become one of my favorite cakes.

#176 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:07 AM

I have made the cake several times using lemon curd--I have learned the "tricks" the hard way--chill layers before icing, make dam to prevent curd seepage, make 4 thin layers instead of 2 thicker ones, use skewers until it is set etc.  I love the curd/cream icing and just wondered if the lemon cream will give the same results as curd.  This has become one of my favorite cakes.

View Post

Oh....I thought the Lemon Cream is a curd? :blink:
May

#177 arriba!

arriba!
  • participating member
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:14 AM

Yes, it is a curd. I have not made it and wondered if it would give same results. I think the only difference is in the technique and I would think it would be just as tart, but I don't know that.

#178 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:04 AM

Yes, it is a curd.  I have not made it and wondered if it would give same results.  I think the only difference is in the technique and I would think it would be just as tart, but I don't know that.

View Post

I'm no curd expert, but it tastes pretty tart to me. Comparable to the Medrich recipe I made before this.
May

#179 arriba!

arriba!
  • participating member
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:18 AM

I am planning on making it(cake)this weekend so will probably make the curd earlier. Thanks for your help.

#180 nichi

nichi
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:48 PM

I wanted to thank you all for this tread and all the info contained herein. As it so happens I had to do a wedding cake this weekend with Lemon Curd filling. Im not really a fan, and as it turns out, it was because of the crap recipe I had.

I did a little tweeking to the Sherry Yard Recipe, doubling the original, adding 1 extra egg yolk, 2 extra table spoons of butter (just cuz butter makes everything betta) and another 1/3 cup of sugar (I guess my lemon tree is a little on the tart side so it was necessary).

It came out pretty thick, like pudding and was wonderful to fill the cake. I have a ton left over so Im making a bunch of goodies to use up the extra.