Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Lemon Curd: The Topic

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#151 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:59 PM

I'm sorry I didn't post this earlier--but I also found out that he FC lemon curd doesn't hold up enough in a tart. I love the taste and usually use it to spread on shortbread or in between layers of cake. The one time I did use it in a tart, it was too runny and I couldn't get clean slices.

Edited by Ling, 08 May 2006 - 04:59 PM.

#152 oli

oli
  • participating member
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:41 PM

Thanks.  I ended up doubling the recipe and it filled just perfectly.  I must add that this Fine Cooking recipe lacked body.  I don't know why, but I found PH's lemon cream held together much better.  Perhaps I will have to add some gelatin next time, unless you guys have another solution.
I must say that I glazed the top with a raspberry glaze with white chocolate stripes.  It had the wow factor, but being a perfectionist, I did like the lack of body.

View Post

Sounds great -- I love lemon and raspberry (blueberry, too). What did you use for a glaze? Was the white chocolate just tempered white?

Thanks!

View Post

I just used a bag of frozen raspberries, press raspberries and jam through fine sieve into sauce-pan; stir in grenadine. Sprinkle with gelatin; let stand for 1 minute. Warm over medium heat, stirring, for 5 minutes or until dissolved; strain. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until cool but pourable.
The white chocolate was just melted and put through a paper cone and drizzled over the raspberry glaze. Looks just fab.
One thing I must note, the raspberry glaze had a tendency to slip off the curd, something like what some people have experienced with merange and lemon curd.

#153 oli

oli
  • participating member
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:42 PM

I'm sorry I didn't post this earlier--but I also found out that he FC lemon curd doesn't hold up enough in a tart. I love the taste and usually use it to spread on shortbread or in between layers of cake. The one time I did use it in a tart, it was too runny and I couldn't get clean slices.

View Post

Exactly

#154 joaquin

joaquin
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 02:57 PM

The best lemon curd needs the best lemons...Meyer lemons in this case. We have them in California. But if they are not available to you, try 2/3 regular lemons (Eureka) and 1/3 orange juice. But do seek out Meyer lemons.

#155 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:03 PM

I believe Meyer lemons, when in season, can be found in all major cities. Meyer lemon curd is indeed delicious. I'm assuming the recipes for Meyer lemon curd use less sugar, though...and are not interchangable with regular lemon curd recipes.

#156 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:26 PM

I need a recipe to use as a filling in a 3 tier wedding cake (unexpected request, has to be ready saturday). I'd like something that sets a little firmer than a typical curd. Anyone have a recipe they've used in this way?

Thanks in advance!
"If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?" - Rumi

#157 Jensen

Jensen
  • participating member
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:42 PM

I have a very old recipe (my great-grandmother's recipe!) for apple lemon cheese that does set up slightly firmer than traditional lemon curd. I don't know if it will be firm enough for your need but it might be worth a try.

The recipe has been adapted for use with Meyer lemons in a North American kitchen; the original recipe used "regular" lemons and castor sugar (and had sliced apples in it but I took those out completely!). I've made it with both berry sugar and regular sugar with good success.

It does occur to me that you might be able to make it even thicker by adding one more egg. Might be worth a try...

1 T plus 2 tsp finely grated Meyer lemon zest
1 cup freshly-squeezed Meyer lemon juice
1-1/3 cup sugar
4 large eggs
3/4 cup plus 2 T butter, cut into tablespoon-sized pieces

Whisk together zest, lemon juice, sugar, eggs and a pinch of salt in a 2 quart heavy saucepan. Add butter all at once and cook over moderately low heat, whisking constantly, until cheese is thick enough to hold marks of the whisk and the first bubbles appear on the surface.

Immediately pour into a bowl or jar, then chill, covered.

#158 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:30 AM

Thank you for the recipe, Jensen.

It occurred to me after I asked the question that I could do the lemon curd filling like a lemon pie filling -- cooking cornstarch with water, then adding the other ingredients.

#159 Jensen

Jensen
  • participating member
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:36 AM

Thank you for the recipe, Jensen.

It occurred to me after I asked the question that I could do the lemon curd filling like a lemon pie filling -- cooking cornstarch with water, then adding the other ingredients.

View Post

Yeah, that's why I dug out this recipe. The original is for "apple cheese cake", essentially a pie made of apple slices in lemon cheese. I think the whole eggs make it thick enough to stand up as a pie filling but while maintaining the richness associated with lemon curd.

#160 McDuff

McDuff
  • participating member
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:12 PM

I need a recipe to use as a filling in a 3 tier wedding cake (unexpected request, has to be ready saturday). I'd like something that sets a little firmer than a typical curd. Anyone have a recipe they've used in this way?

Thanks in advance!

View Post

Pierre Herme's Lemon Cream. Line the cake pans with plastic wrap, freeze the cream in the pan, then lay it right into the cake as you construct it.

#161 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:48 PM

Thanks in advance!

View Post

Pierre Herme's Lemon Cream. Line the cake pans with plastic wrap, freeze the cream in the pan, then lay it right into the cake as you construct it.

View Post

I've done that before, e.g. in Herme's Riviera, but never in a 12" cake that will likely be out of refrigeration for several hours before serving. I'm afraid that it would not stand up well.

#162 McDuff

McDuff
  • participating member
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:11 PM

Thanks in advance!

View Post

View Post

I've done that before, e.g. in Herme's Riviera, but never in a 12" cake that will likely be out of refrigeration for several hours before serving. I'm afraid that it would not stand up well.

View Post

why do you think lemon curd would stand up any better? the lemon cream is really nothing but a curd with the butter added at a different point at a different temp and then whizzed with a stick blender. You could make a lemon gel insert that won't melt. I did that once with passion fruit and it worked ok.

Edited by McDuff, 27 July 2006 - 05:12 PM.

#163 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:27 PM

Thanks in advance!

View Post

View Post

View Post

why do you think lemon curd would stand up any better?

View Post

I don't, at least not a typical lemon curd, which is why I asked for a recipe "that sets a little firmer than a typical curd." What I just did, and tomorrow I'll see how it turns out, is make something similar to Herme's lemon cream, just with a higher proportion of eggs and a lower proportion of butter. I ended up using 12 yolks + 2 whole eggs to 1C juice, 3T zest, 300g sugar, 240g butter mixed in at the end.

#164 mukki

mukki
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:12 PM

I was searching for passionfruit curd and decided to use the FC recipe, but substitute Boiron passionfruit puree for the lemon juice. It turned out wonderful ~ I can barely stop eating it. I think it would be perfect in small tart shells (I'm thinking the City Bakery recipe) with a browned Italian meringue a la Dahlia Bakery. I'll probably try yuzu, too: anyone have a favorite brand of bottled yuzu juice that can be found in a Japanese market (e.g., Mitsuwa)?

I like the fact that the recipe has so much less butter than the Herme recipe. Makes me feel that much less guilty when I spoon it directly from the fridge. :biggrin:

#165 shaloop

shaloop
  • participating member
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:34 PM

I was searching for passionfruit curd and decided to use the FC recipe, but substitute Boiron passionfruit puree for the lemon juice. It turned out wonderful ~ I can barely stop eating it.

View Post

I made the FC lemon curd a few days ago but used 1/2 c lemon juice and 1/2 c butter. It came out wonderful!!! It was firmer than when made using the recipe as written (as I'd hoped) and still just the right tartness and sweetness for me and so smooth and creamy. I used half, lightened with whipped cream for a cake roll for a friend and the other half got eaten, spoonfull at a time, straight out of the fridge. :biggrin: I bought more lemons.

#166 Dave Hatfield

Dave Hatfield
  • participating member
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:50 PM

You may want to try this. Look at about June 26th.

This is a recipe for Lemon Cheese which is then incorporated into what I call a lemon Brulee. Never fails to please especially when the roasted fruit variation is served.

I'll try to remember to take some pictures next time I make this. It looks great when served in tall open mouthed glasses.

#167 LittleIsland

LittleIsland
  • participating member
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 03:59 AM

Carrying on from Patrick's search for a lemon curd that sets a little firmer than a typical curd, can anyone tell me if adding the additional eggs (and should it be just yolks?) will work to produce a slightly firmer curd? I'd like to use it in as a cake filling as well - sitting over a cream filling in the middle, and on the top of the cake.

I used RLB's recipe and am wanting to try the FC recipe, but need it to set firmer.

#168 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:22 AM

Carrying on from Patrick's search for a lemon curd that sets a little firmer than a typical curd, can anyone tell me if adding the additional eggs (and should it be just yolks?) will work to produce a slightly firmer curd?  I'd like to use it in as a cake filling as well - sitting over a cream filling in the middle, and on the top of the cake.

I used RLB's recipe and am wanting to try the FC recipe, but need it to set firmer.

View Post

I filled a wedding cake using the egg-rich recipe I posted a while back, and it worked out fine -- no squishing out of lemon curd when the cake was cut, even on the 12" tier. But if you want a lemon filling that is pretty much gauranteed to be firm enough, you could do a cornstarch-thickened lemon filling, as you would do for a lemon meringue pie.

#169 RuthWells

RuthWells
  • participating member
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:56 AM

Carrying on from Patrick's search for a lemon curd that sets a little firmer than a typical curd, can anyone tell me if adding the additional eggs (and should it be just yolks?) will work to produce a slightly firmer curd?  I'd like to use it in as a cake filling as well - sitting over a cream filling in the middle, and on the top of the cake.

View Post

I filled a wedding cake using the egg-rich recipe I posted a while back, and it worked out fine -- no squishing out of lemon curd when the cake was cut, even on the 12" tier. But if you want a lemon filling that is pretty much gauranteed to be firm enough, you could do a cornstarch-thickened lemon filling, as you would do for a lemon meringue pie.

View Post

Patrick, do you have any pix of the wedding cake to show off? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see it!

#170 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:25 AM

View Post

View Post

Patrick, do you have any pix of the wedding cake to show off? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see it!

View Post

Thanks, Ruth, but me showing off my wedding cake here, in the company of true cake decorating black belts, would be like entering a rusted-out 72' Ford Pinto in the car show . . . I'd rather not! I'll describe it though -- three tiers, 6", 9", 12", each tier filled with lemon curd, and covered with vanilla mousseline buttercream. A small red ribbon was around the base of each tier. I was asked to do the cake like 2 days before the wedding (nephew's shotgun wedding), so it was rushed.

#171 oli

oli
  • participating member
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:04 AM

View Post

View Post

View Post

Thanks, Ruth, but me showing off my wedding cake here, in the company of true cake decorating black belts, would be like entering a rusted-out 72' Ford Pinto in the car show . . . I'd rather not! I'll describe it though -- three tiers, 6", 9", 12", each tier filled with lemon curd, and covered with vanilla mousseline buttercream. A small red ribbon was around the base of each tier. I was asked to do the cake like 2 days before the wedding (nephew's shotgun wedding), so it was rushed.

View Post

Aw, come on. Your photos are always great, I'll bet your just being modest. Your decorating is probably better than most, and with a little creative posing, you could bring out the best in the photo of the cake I know its definitely better than mine.

#172 RuthWells

RuthWells
  • participating member
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:44 AM

View Post

Hey there, Mister, if I can post a cake here, so can you!! It sounds lucious.

#173 LittleIsland

LittleIsland
  • participating member
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:36 PM

But if you want a lemon filling that is pretty much gauranteed to be firm enough, you could do a cornstarch-thickened lemon filling, as you would do for a lemon meringue pie.

View Post

Thanks Patrick... will try. I will add my entreaty to the others to see your cake :biggrin:

#174 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:53 AM

I'm thinking of layering lemon curd with cheesecake.

As in (from bottom up) some sort of crust, lemon curd, cheesecake, and then lemon curd again.

But should I bake the first three layers (crust, curd cheesecake) and then pour more lemon curd on top and bake just until it sets?

I want to try the PH recipe, unless it's not as perfectly suited to what I have in mind as something else?
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#175 Sethro

Sethro
  • participating member
  • 637 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:57 PM

As in (from bottom up) some sort of crust, lemon curd, cheesecake, and then lemon curd again.

But should I bake the first three layers (crust, curd cheesecake) and then pour more lemon curd on top and bake just until it sets?

I want to try the PH recipe, unless it's not as perfectly suited to what I have in mind as something else?

View Post

That layering isn't going to work out well. You can't really bake a curd unless you have a ton of cornstarch in it, and I'm asuming you'll want to bake the cheesecake layer. Unless it's a no bake cheesecake, but the cure would still squish out under the weight unless you cut it while frozen I guess.

I would just recomend a thin layer of curd on top.

#176 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:56 AM

View Post

That layering isn't going to work out well. You can't really bake a curd unless you have a ton of cornstarch in it, and I'm asuming you'll want to bake the cheesecake layer. Unless it's a no bake cheesecake, but the cure would still squish out under the weight unless you cut it while frozen I guess.

View Post

*pouts* Oh well. At least someone told me before I found out the hard way.

Thanks Sethro!

Hmm... But Lemon Curd does freeze okay, right? I think K8 talked about freezing the stuff?

So I could bake cheesecake (without a base) on a sheetpan, and layer it. :cool:
May

#177 Sethro

Sethro
  • participating member
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:18 AM

View Post

View Post

*pouts* Oh well. At least someone told me before I found out the hard way.

Thanks Sethro!

Hmm... But Lemon Curd does freeze okay, right? I think K8 talked about freezing the stuff?

So I could bake cheesecake (without a base) on a sheetpan, and layer it. :cool:

View Post

When I used to do this I would par-bake the crust (not always necesary depending on the type), bake the cheesecake right onto that, let it cool and then spread the still warm curd over top. Freeze and cut.
Posted Image

Edited by Sethro, 10 March 2007 - 10:24 AM.

#178 jess mebane

jess mebane
  • participating member
  • 566 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:27 PM

I just gotta kno, Sethromybro, is that marjoram or thyme atop your confection?

I would just like to dedicate this morning's lemon bars to Joanne Chang at Flour bakery; thanks for posting when those bastards at Taunton's tried to gatekeep your recipe. Your curd is the wurd, JC.

#179 Sethro

Sethro
  • participating member
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:54 PM

It was micro cinammon basil.

#180 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:03 PM

*groan* So that's what I forgot today: Cream cheese for my plan to imitate the inimitable Sethro!
May