Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cocktails With Champagne

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

Also re: that linked survey, FrogPrincesse, I admit to not being intimately familiar with the bar culture of France, and I know that Mojitos are very popular in much of Europe right now, but 80% of all cocktails sold in France? Wow.

And Piña Colada at #2? I suppose as a Puerto Rican I should feel some pride in that, but mostly I'm just surprised. [/size]

Mojitos are indeed very popular in Europe. I was proud to see the Ti Punch as #10.
The Pina Colada on the other hand was a little odd. Although I have to admit that it is indeed the very first cocktail I have ever attempted. Part of its popularity is probably because rum is widely available and very cheap, pineapple juice and coconut cream are easy to find. I thought for sure the French taste with respect to cocktails must have evolved by now. I guess not that much!

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 26 March 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#62 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

I imagine it's popular too at coastal resorts and other areas catering to tourists and vacationers, as is the case worldwide. Curious: how common is rhum agricole in France? I know France is Martinique's main export market, but I don't know whether AOC rhum is the main kind of rum consumed there.

Moving back on topic, the Airmail is a delicious and balanced Champagne cocktail. I like it in the PDT ratios with Banks 5 Island. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#63 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Here's one I made at a party not too long ago that's good for those who like the herbal/thyme-y flavor of Meyer lemon zest. Regular old lemon would probably work well for those who don't. 

1 1/4 oz Gin, Tanqueray
1/4 oz Meyer lemon juice
1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur, Luxardo
3 oz Champagne
1/4 oz Crème Yvette (float)
2 twst Meyer lemon zest (one shaken, one as garnish)

Shake gin, Meyer lemon juice, Meyer lemon zest, and Maraschino with ice; strain into a chilled Champagne flute with a Meyer lemon spiral at the bottom. Pour Champagne. Float Crème Yvette.

Edited by Rafa, 27 March 2013 - 11:21 AM.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#64 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Curious: how common is rhum agricole in France? I know France is Martinique's main export market, but I don't know whether AOC rhum is the main kind of rum consumed there.

Rhum agricole is widely available in France, you can buy it at most supermarkets and you would be astounded by the selection (and the low prices)...  There are other rums as well but Martinique being an overseas department of France ("DOM"), its rhums are extremely well represented. The AOC is only for Martinique but rhum agricole is also produced in Guadeloupe and Marie-Galante.

It's not necessarily the main kind of rum consumed in France, but it probably represents a good portion.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 27 March 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#65 LizD518

LizD518
  • participating member
  • 416 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

I need to come up with a cocktail using Veuve Cliquot Yellow Label for a small (under 20) group of female lawyers.  They want something fun and fruity.  Suggestions?

Thanks!