Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Malaysian Cuisine

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#61 PCL

PCL
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:32 PM

Just read this entire thread and thought I'd share the following...

- mouth watering thread...
- feeling a little homesick (Ipoh born boy here, back in Australia now, was living in London for a couple years...)
- durian season? woo hoo!!... will be in KL in a week or so... can't wait...
- Pan, you're an inspiration... Tourism Malaysia should get you on board to promote the east coast.

and a question... no mentions of Nasi Lemak??... that stalwart of convenience and good taste??...

how do you like your nasi lemak? I'm a biasa kind of guy, a bit of sambal, egg, ikan bilis and peanuts... although a good dollop of sotong never goes astray...

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

#62 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 12:25 AM

You said it about the sotong. :biggrin:

And my mother hates fish and doesn't relate to the ikan bilis, but I love it.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but my favorite Malaysian dish was the Chili Udang Galah I used to get in Chinatown in Kuala Terengganu. The udang galah they caught in the 1970s were collosal and when they had the eggs in their heads! MMMmmmmmmmm!

But Malaysian udang galah is still excellent. Last July, Shiewie and Maukitten took me to a place in PJ that served excellent udang galah and other seafood. Thanks, gals. :biggrin:

Another wonderful dish I used to have was a Cantonese dish in a great banquet restaurant in the Hotel Malaysia, again in the 70s, called the Imperial Room: Pigeon with Peanuts. That was always our first dish whenever we ate there.

But regardless of my remarks about 70s food, the general quality of Terengganu food is much better now than it was then, especially in the kampungs - partly because people are richer and can afford better ingredients and partly because of the influence of Thai food. I've heard complaints that much more sugar is used nowadays, and that that may be partly responsible for the huge increase in diabetes (though I think the lack of exercise in many parts of Malaysia is a much bigger culprit), but if true, that didn't bother me in terms of taste. In other places like KL, the food has always been wonderful and remains wonderful.

#63 JustKay

JustKay
  • participating member
  • 516 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:27 AM

- durian season? woo hoo!!... will be in KL in a week or so... can't wait...

I have durians in my house now. I had durians for breakfast, and lunch. :biggrin: Certainly a good time to come back for durians!

#64 Tepee

Tepee
  • participating member
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 06:53 AM

If you like 101 durians (thick reddish flesh and small seeds), you can get 3 for RM10 at the Bandar Sunway/Puchong toll, so says my brother who ate some last week and said it was the best he had ever tasted. Highly recommended...need I say more??
TPcal!
Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

#65 JustKay

JustKay
  • participating member
  • 516 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:14 AM

If you like 101 durians (thick reddish flesh and small seeds), you can get 3 for RM10 at the Bandar Sunway/Puchong toll, so says my brother who ate some last week and said it was the best he had ever tasted. Highly recommended...need I say more??

:shock: :shock: I bought those from Malacca yesterday - cost RM4 per kg and I thought that was cheap! But I prefer D24 best. Only sometimes, the D24 isn't really 'authentic' D24s. Sigh! Thanks for the heads-up anyways.

#66 PCL

PCL
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:14 AM

That's near my parent's place in TTDI, easily accessible by the new LDP!!... wow... gotta head down there... they, my folks, generally get their Durian from a stall in PJ, near SS2, guess everyone's got their favourite supplier... the old family favorite is actually in Ipoh, in Tambun opposite the Tambun cemetery... the old guy has been selling since day dot and now his daughter and grand children help out... right by a nursery and under the old tree... a scene out of paradise I say...

...hmmm... I sense a thread evolving from this....

... and Mike, oops, Pan, any chance of correcting the title of THIS thread?? I just noticed they spellt Malaysia wrong!!

[Editor's comment: The title of this thread has been corrected shortly after midnight on June 1, 2004]

#67 JustKay

JustKay
  • participating member
  • 516 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:54 AM

... and Mike, oops, Pan, any chance of correcting the title of THIS thread?? I just noticed they spellt Malaysia wrong!!

I go :huh: ... everytime I see the Maylasian too. I was hoping the person who started the thread would request the spelling correction after I pointed it out. But it seems s/he's not been back here, and we've hijacked the thread from her/him. :wink:

#68 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:40 PM

My superpowers don't extend to changing the names of threads outside of the New York Forum, but it's definitely high time the misspelling was corrected, so I asked for that by clicking "report this post." Feel free to click that yourselves any time you see something that should be changed or is otherwise objectionable.

#69 PCL

PCL
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:56 PM

Wow, it's so cool when Pan goes into "Official" mode... he's your man when the going demands a cool, calibrated, countenanced mind... :raz:

I believe Roger McShane is the person nominally in charge of these pages. A PM will be sent.

Also, c'mon guys!!! NASI LEMAK!! where are your favs? Especially in the KL region, I'm arriving next Thursday and I'm thinking I need to expand my Nasi Lemak boundaries, let alone my waist line!!

#70 Shiewie

Shiewie
  • participating member
  • 621 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:33 PM

Hi PCL

Here's a link to a Malaysian site whereh you can find a list of the popular Nasi Lemak stalls in KL. I haven't tried all of them of the list thoguh only Nasi Lemak Antarabangsa, Nasi Lemak Tanglin and Nasi Lemak Cikgu.

There are a couple of others that I like that are not on the list:

- stall in front of the old clock tower on Lebuh Pasar Besar - it's near the HSBC Bank and down the road from Central Market - there's no place to sit down - it's purely 'bungkus' (take-away) for the people who work in the offices in that area - breakfast only

- stall at coffee shop on Jalan Dang Wangi (what used to be Campbell Road) near the bridge - it's breakfast only as well - can't remember the name of the shop (it's opposite this other coffee shop called Yut Kee). However you can spot it quite easily as the there's a huge wooden container (at breakfast time only, of course) which the rice is served out of.

#71 markk

markk
  • participating member
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:26 PM

I just noticed they spellt Malaysia wrong!!... I was hoping the person who started the thread would request the spelling correction after I pointed it out. But it seems s/he's not been back here, and we've hijacked the thread from her/him. :wink:

More than you will ever know, I regret mispelling the word "Malaysian" more deeply, and more sincerely, than perhaps any mistake I have ever made in my entire life. I cannot apologize more for this error nor humble myself before you more than I do with this posting.

However, I don't know how to change the title of the thread. If this is something that only I, as the originator of the thread can do, I pray that you will tell me how to do this, and I pray that you will consider forgiveness for me for this horrendous, horrendous mitsake.
Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”
Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”
Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”
Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

#72 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:01 PM

You can't change the title of a thread; only the forum host for this forum and site managers can change thread titles. Oh, looks like there's no forum host for this forum...I'll PM a site manager.

#73 Tepee

Tepee
  • participating member
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:16 PM

Hmm, methinks it's time to appoint a Forum Host. I've got a couple of candidates in mind....
TPcal!
Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

#74 JustKay

JustKay
  • participating member
  • 516 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:16 AM

markk - you've mangled my quote and PCL's! I had to read twice something I don't think I quite wrote. LOL! :biggrin:

That's ok. I am glad that you're back to read all the replies.

I hope we've given you a glimpse of Malaysian cuisine. There are a whole lot more to share, so don't stay away.

:smile:

Edited by kew, 01 June 2004 - 03:24 AM.

#75 JustKay

JustKay
  • participating member
  • 516 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:17 AM

Hmm, methinks it's time to appoint a Forum Host. I've got a couple of candidates in mind....

I vote for Pan and Shiewie, but then the forum owners might have some prerequisites to being elevated from a mere member to Forum Host. :smile:

Edited by kew, 01 June 2004 - 03:20 AM.

#76 Tepee

Tepee
  • participating member
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:24 AM

Ditto!
TPcal!
Food Pix (plus others)

#77 spinoza

spinoza
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:30 PM

Stuffed baked crabs are now a Kemaman / Chukai (think the town itself is called Chukai but is in the district of Kemaman ... and the port's called Kemaman too) specialty. One of the more well-known shops that serves this is Tong Juan Restaurant. It's on a row of pre-WWII shop houses that faces the river - does this sound familiar spinoza?

Brilliant!

Thanks shiewie - that's probably the one.

I'm headed there on my next trip home...

Nowadays they consist of 2 weeks of rushing around Malaysia eating 6 meals a day :biggrin:

#78 PCL

PCL
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:16 AM

- stall at coffee shop on Jalan Dang Wangi (what used to be Campbell Road) near the bridge - it's breakfast only as well - can't remember the name of the shop (it's opposite this other coffee shop called Yut Kee).

Thanks Shiewie, will check out the site, looks good from a glance.

I noticed you mention "Yut Kee" on Campbell Road, is that behind the Sheraton Imperial Hotel on Sultan Ismail??... 'cos if it's the same animal... man, Yut Kee is totally retro awesome cool.

I was working on site when the hotel was going up and my dad introduced me to Yut Kee. The best Swiss Rolls and butter cakes from the kitchen out the back of the shop, the WHOLE OF KL... it's not halal, but I must mention for non-Muslim M'sians that the pork chops are way good, as are the Hokkien Mee, kopi-o.

Wow, nostalgia... will definitely check it out next week!!

#79 PCL

PCL
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:19 AM

I haven't tried all of them of the list thoguh only Nasi Lemak Antarabangsa, Nasi Lemak Tanglin and Nasi Lemak Cikgu.

Antarabangsa is currently my ALL-TIME FAV!!!....

missed it when I was last in KL about 3 weeks ago, won't be making that mistake again...

my folks live in TTDI so we generally head to Damansara Uptown mamak for Nasi Lemak, they're good too, especially the Ayam Goreng....oooohhh... it's 2.20am in Melbourne at the moment... no mamak stalls, .... mouth watering...

also, the site mentions Madam Kwan's in Bangsar... if you're serious about food and Nasi Lemak, avoid at all cost. The place is a dressed up, overpriced Bangar-Yuppie-Kia-Su type place. The food? Um, can't remember how it was I was so disappointed, although they did use to have a good happy hour deal, not sure about now, drink first, then head to the mamak down the road for the real deal.

...must go have Maggi Mee... cepat dimasak, sedap dimakan!

Edited by PCL, 02 June 2004 - 09:23 AM.

#80 Gul_Dekar

Gul_Dekar
  • participating member
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:18 PM

the Ayam Goreng....oooohhh... it's 2.20am in Melbourne at the moment... no mamak stalls, .... mouth watering...

Hmmm...I remember my brother mentioning that there IS a mamak (or at least mamak-style shop since it probably can't be done by the roadside and open air during the winter months) in Melbourne when he was living there...I could ask him. Unless you know about it already. *typo*

Edited by Gul_Dekar, 03 June 2004 - 04:24 PM.

#81 SG-

SG-
  • participating member
  • 391 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:22 AM

- stall at coffee shop on Jalan Dang Wangi (what used to be Campbell Road) near the bridge - it's breakfast only as well - can't remember the name of the shop (it's opposite this other coffee shop called Yut Kee).

Thanks Shiewie, will check out the site, looks good from a glance.

I noticed you mention "Yut Kee" on Campbell Road, is that behind the Sheraton Imperial Hotel on Sultan Ismail??... 'cos if it's the same animal... man, Yut Kee is totally retro awesome cool.

I was working on site when the hotel was going up and my dad introduced me to Yut Kee. The best Swiss Rolls and butter cakes from the kitchen out the back of the shop, the WHOLE OF KL... it's not halal, but I must mention for non-Muslim M'sians that the pork chops are way good, as are the Hokkien Mee, kopi-o.

Wow, nostalgia... will definitely check it out next week!!

Don't forget to Yut Kee's seafood laden "lam mee"(sp?) which they're famous for! Their kaya and shrimp toast are quite good too.

#82 Shiewie

Shiewie
  • participating member
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:57 AM

PCL

Nasi Lemak Antarabangsa used to be one of my favourites. But when I last went to Nasi Lemak Antarabangsa sometime last year, I thought that their quality has dropped :sad:. The rice was a bit mushy, I like the grains of rice in my nasi lemak to be fairly firm and separate and not in clumps. The sambal also tasted a bit raw ... as if it hasn't been tumis'ed well.

If you're in the PJ area, it seems there's a good nasi lemak stall near Castell at the roundabout bu Sultan Abdul Samad school. Seems there are different stallholders in the morning and at night but they're both supposedly good. TTDI? The nasi kerabu stall at Restoran Hasanah in TTDI (mornings only, same row as Secret Recipe) also sells nasi lemak - haven't tried it though as I always succumb to the nasi kerabu whenever I go there.

I also recently tried the lauk at Chef Ismail's food kiosk at the food court at Bangsar Shopping Centre - the ayam masak merah was yummy. Think they also sell nasi lemak there so it may be worth a try.

If you like Yut Kee, another coffee shop in the same vein is Seng Nam - it's near the HSBC Bank in Medan Pasar. Actually, I think their Hokkien mee-hoon is better than Yut Kee's :biggrin:.

#83 PCL

PCL
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:39 AM

Hmmm...I remember my brother mentioning that there IS a mamak (or at least mamak-style shop since it probably can't be done by the roadside and open-air during the winter months) in Melbourne when he living there...I could ask him. Unless you know about it already.

Gul_Dekar.... FIND OUT WHERE THIS MYTHICAL PLACE IS PLEASE???

I've lived here most of my life, and have known of no such creature... if your information proves to be correct, I shall be eternal grateful and will sing your praises on eGullet forever more....

...and... SG, I haven't tried the lam mee, but then again, I'm not a fan of that particular specialty...

Shiewie... I totally forgot about the kaya toast, man almost as good as the one in a tiny Hainanese coffe shop in KK, Sabah!!.... thin toast, rich butter, and dripping with viscous KAYA!!!.... also, will take your words to heart and attempt the Hokkien Mee at Seng Nam. Also, thanks for the TTDI tip, I've seen people in Secret Recipe but I tend to avoid places like that when I'm in KL.

Cheers!!

#84 Shiewie

Shiewie
  • participating member
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:06 AM

PCL - I didn't mean Secret Recipe (don't like it and generally try to avoid it though I live in KL :smile:) - was referring to the nasi kerabu stall (which also sells nasi lemak) outside Restoran Hasanah, which is on the same row as Secret Recipe.

#85 kenteoh

kenteoh
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:58 PM

Hmmm...I remember my brother mentioning that there IS a mamak (or at least mamak-style shop since it probably can't be done by the roadside and open-air during the winter months) in Melbourne when he living there...I could ask him. Unless you know about it already.

Gul_Dekar.... FIND OUT WHERE THIS MYTHICAL PLACE IS PLEASE???

I've lived here most of my life, and have known of no such creature... if your information proves to be correct, I shall be eternal grateful and will sing your praises on eGullet forever more....

Hi PCL, I'm Gul's brother. Here are the details of the mamak-style shop (found on CitySearch):

Bismi 
848 Sydney Rd, Brunswick 
(03) 9386-8611

It opens until pretty late (by Melbourne standards), around 12 or 1am. They serve roti, murtabak, various curries and you can even get teh-o-ais-limau if you tell them how to make it. ;)

The food is not exactly the same as what you get in Malaysia as it is opened by Singaporean mamaks, but for any homesick Malaysian, it is a godsend. Lots of Malaysian and Singaporean students can be seen hanging around till late there.

BTW, just as a sidenote, in case you didn't know, there is a pretty good and authentic Malaysian restaurant called Red Wok or something on Toorak Road in South Yarra opposite the Watergrill seafood restaurant. AFAIK it is the only place which serves butter prawns in Melbourne! And don't forget to try the ladies-fingers with sambal belachan, good stuff! The owners are Hongkies but the chefs are from Ipoh.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by kenteoh, 03 June 2004 - 02:00 PM.

#86 JustKay

JustKay
  • participating member
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:15 PM

What about Nasi Beriyani? Although that's not technically a true Malaysian dish. :biggrin:

I don't quite fancy the mamak kind. I prefer the Johor Nasi Beryani Gam but rather hard to find good ones in KL. There's one Aladin Cafe at the Souq (Putrajaya) but it's quality has declined some.

There's a House of Beriyani at Diamond Square in Bangi. Verrry clean restaurant and they make 3 different types of Beryani - Arab, Pakistan and Afghanistan. The lauks are all very good too. It's open from 11am till about 3pm or so.

Another restaurant in Bangi, Ghazal sells Nasi Beryani Johor, supposedly. But I find the lauks a tad too sweet. They also sell the 'sirap bandung' like the ones you get at Malay weddings.

But for true Beryani, I 'd go for Bombay Palace's Handi Beryani anytime.

Do you guys know of any good place for (non-mamak) Beryani in KL/Malaysia?

#87 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:11 PM

What about Nasi Beriyani? Although that's not technically a true Malaysian dish. :biggrin:

It isn't? Is Tom Yam Soup a true Malaysian dish? There used to be a Restoran Biryani in Kuala Terengganu in the 70s, when Tom Yam Soup wasn't to be found in Malaysian restaurants. I daresay, Indian influence has been deeper and more widespread for a longer time in the Malay Peninsula than Thai influence, and I need only cite Roti Canai as an example. I would say that Biryani (however you spell it) is an Indian dish that is part of the amalgam that constitutes Malaysian food.

#88 JustKay

JustKay
  • participating member
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:25 PM

What about Nasi Beriyani? Although that's not technically a true Malaysian dish.  :biggrin:

It isn't? Is Tom Yam Soup a true Malaysian dish? There used to be a Restoran Biryani in Kuala Terengganu in the 70s, when Tom Yam Soup wasn't to be found in Malaysian restaurants. I daresay, Indian influence has been deeper and more widespread for a longer time in the Malay Peninsula than Thai influence, and I need only cite Roti Canai as an example. I would say that Biryani (however you spell it) is an Indian dish that is part of the amalgam that constitutes Malaysian food.

But Pan .... there is no Roti Canai in India! From what I've heard and read, Roti Canai is truly a Malaysian concoction by the Indians here in Malaysia. :biggrin:

Tom Yam is definitely Thai, I would say.

Beryani is Indian, or is it Middle East since saffron rice and pilaf are also a Persian and Arabic dish? No?

And Pan .... even the mamak restaurants have Tom Yam and other Thai dishes offered nowdays! Some also have all the Western dishes such as steak, chicken maryland and such on the menu.

And there's this Tom Yam stall along the old trunk road to KLIA that makes great Nasi Daging Merah and Tom Yam and one of the side dishes is Fries. :biggrin:

#89 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:23 PM

But Pan .... there is no Roti Canai in India! From what I've heard and read, Roti Canai is truly a Malaysian concoction by the Indians here in Malaysia. :biggrin:

Vikram doesn't agree. Here's part of what she wrote in a review of Madhur Jaffrey's The Ultimate Curry Bible:

Noting that Malaysian roti canai is simply the Kerala style flaky parottha made even larger, she suggests that ‘canai’ is another form of ‘Chennai’ which was, even then, the name by which South Indians knew the port from they set sail.

Tom Yam Soup is definitely Thai in origin, but at what point does something qualify as Malaysian? If almost every Malaysian restaurant in and outside of Malaysia serves something, isn't it Malaysian?

#90 JustKay

JustKay
  • participating member
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:22 PM

But Pan .... there is no Roti Canai in India! From what I've heard and read, Roti Canai is truly a Malaysian concoction by the Indians here in Malaysia.  :biggrin:

Vikram doesn't agree. Here's part of what she wrote in a review of Madhur Jaffrey's The Ultimate Curry Bible:

Noting that Malaysian roti canai is simply the Kerala style flaky parottha made even larger, she suggests that ‘canai’ is another form of ‘Chennai’ which was, even then, the name by which South Indians knew the port from they set sail.

Tom Yam Soup is definitely Thai in origin, but at what point does something qualify as Malaysian? If almost every Malaysian restaurant in and outside of Malaysia serves something, isn't it Malaysian?

Well then .... interesting. We do have Roti Pratha here too.

I have never been to Kerala nor tasted Kerala flaky parottha, so I can't compare. But even my Indian neighbor (an expatriate living here) said there's no Roti Canai in India, but then he's from Kalkoota. Perhaps, our Roti Canai has evolved somewhat (which explains the difference), but is in fact a derivative of the Kerala flaky Parottha (which accounts for the similarity). Canai is also a Malay word meaning 'to flatten'.

:biggrin:

I have no idea as to what single dish is truly a bona-fide Malaysian dish.

Edited by kew, 03 June 2004 - 11:42 PM.