Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Aviation

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#211 DianaB

DianaB
  • participating member
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

Many thanks for your comments in respect Aviation gin. Will keep reading these forums until my half bottle of Violette arrives, will select gin then since it is easier to source, hope it doesn't take too long because I'm really looking forward to my first Aviation...

#212 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

What Violette do you have on order?  I must say aviations can be pretty nice!  My current favorite gin for aviations is Magellan.

#213 DianaB

DianaB
  • participating member
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:17 AM

I've ordered a half bottle Serres Benoit from this company:
http://www.saveurs-o...lette-35cl.html

Having noted that little is needed for each cocktail I decided against a full bottle at this stage.

#214 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 497 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:33 AM

I'll echo the other two. Aviation gin was nice, but I don't think it's an essential stock. I certainly won't be stocking it.

Massive improvement in the bottle design, too.
  • DianaB likes this

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#215 DianaB

DianaB
  • participating member
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:49 AM

The Luxardo Maraschino and the Liqueur à la Violette have arrived. I tried to order Luxardo cherries but it seems these are out of stock everywhere (or ridiculously expensive) just now. Having read the topic on making Maraschino cherries we'll have a go at that for the longer term. Too impatient for a first attempt at this cocktail we will enjoy it with a factory red cherry.

I have a question in respect of cherry making but I will post it on the Making Maraschino topic in attempt to respect the various threads.

#216 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 992 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

I recommend you forgo the cherry rather than use neon. Except maybe for Tiki garnishes, which are intentionally tacky.

• Hassouni likes this
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#217 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 717 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:01 PM

I recommend you forgo the cherry rather than use neon. Except maybe for Tiki garnishes, which are intentionally tacky.

I would concur. I don't typically garnish an Aviation anyway and I don't remember that it is routinely called for.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#218 Craig E

Craig E
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

The Luxardo Maraschino and the Liqueur à la Violette have arrived. I tried to order Luxardo cherries but it seems these are out of stock everywhere (or ridiculously expensive) just now. Having read the topic on making Maraschino cherries we'll have a go at that for the longer term. Too impatient for a first attempt at this cocktail we will enjoy it with a factory red cherry.

There may also be a happy medium between the syrupy dyed abominations, and the hassle/expense of imported or homemade cherries. My local grocer carries these cherries with no artificial additives. I think they're great. Good in an Aviation (though I agree, not necessarily essential), outtasite in a Left Hand

I wouldn't try to talk you out of making your own if you're up for it, but wanted to let you know of another possible option.

Edited by Craig E, 04 September 2014 - 02:44 PM.