Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Seasoning

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Andy Lynes

Andy Lynes
  • participating member
  • 7,462 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 01:33 AM

Seasoning with salt seems to me to be a crucial part of making food taste good. Can a cook learn to season "correctly", or is it an entirely subjective matter?

#2 Shaun Hill

Shaun Hill
  • participating member
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:59 AM

Judging the right amount of salt to use when seasoning is a problem for which you can only offer a personal answer. Tolerance to salt varies from person to person and I have found it to be also a generational thing. My parents used much more salt than I do but my children are accustomed to less than I prefer.

I am always guided by what suits my own palate. Whether right or wrong, at least I know when I think it's okay myself. I try to err on the side of just under but leave salt - but not pepper - on the table for those who want more and am only offended when I see people spraying on tons before having tasted.

In fact table salt tastes raw to me if added after everything is cooked and I have often been tempted to roast the salt before grinding it as in parts of China.