Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

White Manna

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#31 Rachel Perlow

Rachel Perlow
  • legacy participant
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 11 December 2001 - 09:06 AM

Quote: from ziggybob on 6:00 pm on Dec. 9, 2001
Was RPerlow confusing the White Manna in River St, Hackensack, with the White Mana Diner at Tonnele Av and Secaucus Rd, Jersey City

However it's spelled, I was referring to the one in Hackensack, as I've never been inside the one in Jersey City - although I have driven by there.... From the outside, it looks a little bigger and not as run down as the Hackensack joint, which makes me a little suspicious... ;)

#32 tommy

tommy
  • participating member
  • 15,396 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 09:28 AM

finally got here last night.

unfortunately, i was full from dinner.  but i couldn't pass up the opportunity to go in, as there was no one there!

had 2 of those cheese burgers.  onions pickles catsup.  a perfect burger except for the bun . i think the bun to burger ratio was a bit on the high side.  the sandwich had a doughy quality, which is a shame.   otherwise, it was very good.

i'll go back, but hopefully i'll be either:
1)  drunk
2)  hung over.

i think the above 2 states would elevate these burgers to greatness.

#33 Rachel Perlow

Rachel Perlow
  • legacy participant
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 09:33 AM

Quote: from tommy on 11:28 am on Jan. 31, 2002
had 2 of those cheese burgers.  onions pickles catsup.  a perfect burger except for the bun . i think the bun to burger ratio was a bit on the high side.  the sandwich had a doughy quality, which is a shame.   otherwise, it was very good.

Please refer back to my Aug 14 post on page 1 of this thread, where I said essentially the same thing. In your state of full, but wanting to try the place, I would have suggested one double cheeseburger, rather than two singles.

#34 tommy

tommy
  • participating member
  • 15,396 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 12:02 PM

Quote: from RPerlow on 11:33 am on Jan. 31, 2002
Please refer back to my Aug 14 post on page 1 of this thread, where I said essentially the same thing. In your state of full, but wanting to try the place, I would have suggested one double cheeseburger, rather than two singles.

we are just two peas in a pod. ;)

#35 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 01:22 PM

i think the bun to burger ratio was a bit on the high side.

To all things there is a purpose.  The "Meat to Bun Ratio"(official McSpeak) is the way it is for a reason.  Did you notice the mist about the grill?  These are the "juices"  (also official McSpeak - translation grease) from the cooking burgers.  The bun does an admirable job of soaking up the juices, synergistically compounding the Manna Burger's overall "juiciness."

#36 tommy

tommy
  • participating member
  • 15,396 posts

Posted 01 February 2002 - 01:32 PM

Quote: from Holly Moore on 3:22 pm on Feb. 1, 2002[br  The bun does an admirable job of soaking up the juices, synergistically compounding the Manna Burger's overall "juiciness."

and rendering it a McDoughy mess.  tasty yes.  doughy definitely.  i'll try the double cheeseburger (but don't double the cheese) next time.

#37 thereuare

thereuare
  • participating member
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 01:39 PM

At the advice of an earlier post on this thread, i recently stopped at Ted's Restaurant in Meriden, CT (i know this is a NJ board, but putting here for continuity).

This place is a real "joint" where they speak to you in one-word sentences.  Upon walking in we were asked:

"Cheesburger"?
--> Yes please, thank you
"Onion"?
--> Yes, please
"Drink"?

In no time at all our food was placed in front of us (on paper plates).  Now what makes this place special is that they steam their burgers, and i don't mean they put a dome over it while they cook it.  They take a small tin, mabye 3 inches X 2 inches and load it up with meat, then place it on a shelf in a patented metal box which sits on top of the stove (and is above, i imagine, a pot of boiling water).  Cheese for the burger is also melted in the same box.

The burger drips when you bite into it (all that steam makes the burger extra juicy), and it tasted VERY good.  I spent quite some time to try to determine what was different and i finally hit upon it: The meat browns all the way through, but there is a stronger "beef" taste than with a traditional burger.  At $2.60/cheeseburger ($1.90 for no cheese) this may be the best burger value in the country!

We each had one cheeseburger (along with an order of cheese fries, which i recommend you pass on) and that was enough food for us.  Two guys at the counter each had 2 and were truely stuffed.

This place isn't worth a special trip from the NYC area, but DEFINATELY worth the trip if you are ever within a 30 minute radius of the place.  It's also VERY convenient to stop at if you ever make the drive from NYC to Boston, as it is right off the highway.

#38 tommy

tommy
  • participating member
  • 15,396 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 01:43 PM

and what highway would that be?  i'll be driving up to MA soon and will probably be on that same road.

#39 tautog

tautog
  • participating member
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 04:15 PM

As a Rumson resident, I can tell you that Barnacle Bills makes one of the best burgers around. It is at least 10 oz and grilled perfectly to your order. The cheddar cheese is hot, messy and tasty. You get all the free peanuts you want and throw the shells on the floor. And a burger and a huge basket of fries is about 10 bucks which is pretty good for a nice sit down restaurant with quality beers and tap and a decent wine selection. It also has surprisingly good seafood specials like ciopino(sic) and the Asian ownership does a good job of buying good quality seafood. It is a local place but well worth visiting if you are in the area. It does however, get crowded on the weekends, especially during the summer.

#40 Double 0

Double 0
  • participating member
  • 452 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 11:03 AM

[]However it's spQUOTE]Quote: from ziggybob on 6:00 pm on Dec. 9, 2001
Was RPerlow confusing the White Manna in River St, Hackensack, with the White Mana Diner at Tonnele Av and Secaucus Rd, Jersey City[/QUOTEelled, I was referring to the one in Hackensack, as I've never been inside the one in Jersey City - although I have driven by there.... From the outside, it looks a little bigger and not as run down as the Hackensack joint, which makes me a little suspicious... ;)

The WHITE MANNA "Diner" in JC is very similar to WHITE MANNA in Hackensack. The look is just as run down. Behind the counter(oval not square) they have the same grill and soda machines. they make the fries in the back, where can't see them. The fries are the low grade frozen crinke cuts that are delish if you order them well done. The burgers are prepared in the same method(ala White Castle). The wrapping paper is the same and the "robot" who prepare the burgers also remembers every order exactly. The burger are about a half step below Hackensack, but their main claim to fame(in my mind) is their cheese steaks. They are the Steakum type served on white toast. They're open 24/7 and great on the way home from NYC after a long night of partying.
I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

#41 chefreit

chefreit
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:16 PM

A native of Jersey City, (Shit! someone had to be..) I grew up on these belly busting delights. You see, if you ask a White Manna Grill man the secret he will tell you, the trick to making a good White Manna burger is to keeping your face off the grill! This is not as easy as it sounds... Just stop in, say about 2am on a weekend and count how many times the grill man almost burns his nose on the grill.

However, I must say comfort food is relative and if you grew-up in my neighborhood, this is one of them "comfort foods."
:cool:
I Will Be..................
"The Next Food Network Star!"

#42 jo-mel

jo-mel
  • participating member
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:48 PM

But I submit that when it comes to great roadfood, be it a couple of White Manna Burgers or Rutt Hut Rippers or whatever, between the layer of grease on the walls and eye appeal's lowly position on the grillman's totem pole, you have to check your eyes at the door.

Since Rippers came up on a Hamburg thread, I feel as tho I can ask this --------what is so great about the Rutt Hutt Ripper? I was there last summer for the first time. I was at a lunch meeting, and serving a pile of people might be difficult, food-wise, but after all the hype about those hot dogs, I was sooooo disappointed! Deep-frying them was unique, and the varied sauces were good, but the cold roll ruined it all.

Being from Mass. I have to say that I have been spoiled by New England style rolls (the one with the soft sides) that are grilled on both sides, and I like my hot dogs grilled or boiled with skins. So I may have carried my predjudice bags with me, but I really didn't think the ripper deserved all the oohs and aahs!

Is it just me? Or did I miss something.

DH thinks the only hot dogs worth eating were those served on open carts, under the 3rd Avenue El in NYC. (when there was a 3rd avenue El) They came out of greasy hot water and went in a cold roll. DH said the best ones were when an elevated train was rolling by, above the cart! LOL!

#43 Rosie

Rosie
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 06:23 PM

Chefreit--I'm a native of Jersey City. Snyder HS.
Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"
TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

#44 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 06:47 PM

But I submit that when it comes to great roadfood, be it a couple of White Manna Burgers or Rutt Hut Rippers or whatever, between the layer of grease on the walls and eye appeal's lowly position on the grillman's totem pole, you have to check your eyes at the door.

Since Rippers came up on a Hamburg thread, I feel as tho I can ask this --------what is so great about the Rutt Hutt Ripper? I was there last summer for the first time. I was at a lunch meeting, and serving a pile of people might be difficult, food-wise, but after all the hype about those hot dogs, I was sooooo disappointed! Deep-frying them was unique, and the varied sauces were good, but the cold roll ruined it all.

Being from Mass. I have to say that I have been spoiled by New England style rolls (the one with the soft sides) that are grilled on both sides, and I like my hot dogs grilled or boiled with skins. So I may have carried my predjudice bags with me, but I really didn't think the ripper deserved all the oohs and aahs!

Is it just me? Or did I miss something.

DH thinks the only hot dogs worth eating were those served on open carts, under the 3rd Avenue El in NYC. (when there was a 3rd avenue El) They came out of greasy hot water and went in a cold roll. DH said the best ones were when an elevated train was rolling by, above the cart! LOL!

I'm trying to picture a Ripper on a toasted and buttered New England style bun. First reaction is culture-clash. But it is a fascinating idea. The butter from the bun pairing with the grease from the deep fat fried hot dog. A quest to be pursued.

The New England style hot dog bun is indeed the best hot dog bun. Top split, non crusted sides. Split, toast both sides and butter. Just can't figure why it hasn't made its way to New York and beyond. They show up at supermarkets here in Philadelphia, semi-occasionally, during the summer, but no consistency. I recently lhave been looking for a bun baker in the area that can supply New England style buns, but no luck.

All in all though, I'm not sure why the Rutt Hut's dog is so special. It just is. Tradition has something to do with - a consistent tradition, no resting on past laurels. Their unique mustard relish. The cooking range - "In and Outers" to "Rippers" to "Cremators". A beautiful ugliness. Some sort of synergy I guess.

And a picture often does say it all

Posted Image
Holly Moore
"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com
Twitter

#45 tommy

tommy
  • participating member
  • 15,396 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:31 PM

A native of Jersey City, (Shit! someone had to be..) I grew up on these belly busting delights. You see, if you ask a White Manna Grill man the secret he will tell you, the trick to making a good White Manna burger is to keeping your face off the grill! This is not as easy as it sounds... Just stop in, say about 2am on a weekend and count how many times the grill man almost burns his nose on the grill.

However, I must say comfort food is relative and if you grew-up in my neighborhood, this is one of them "comfort foods."
:cool:

chef, are you referring to the White Mana on rt 9/tonnele? this thread is actually about the White Manna (not affiliated as far as i know) in Hackensack...although i've always been curious about the one in JC!

#46 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:51 PM

There's a White Manna evil twin called White Mana?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#47 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:10 PM

Yes, but I refuse to go there.
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#48 tommy

tommy
  • participating member
  • 15,396 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:31 PM

and let's not even get started on White Rose.

#49 NJ2FLA

NJ2FLA
  • participating member
  • 371 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 10:50 PM

Forgive me for not being up on the lingo but what's a "DH"?

Rosie.. were you born at Margaret Haigue? (Did I spell it right)

#50 Rosie

Rosie
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 06:04 AM

Forgive me for not being up on the lingo but what's a "DH"?

Rosie.. were you born at Margaret Haigue? (Did I spell it right)

Devoted husband

My brother was born at Margaret Hauge. I wasn't.
TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

#51 John

John
  • participating member
  • 743 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 06:14 AM

Sorry, but I love White Rose! I think their burgers are better than White Manna and White Diamond. Slightly bigger in size and a better bun to meat ratio. One night I hit White Manna in jersey City and the White Rose in Roselle. No comparison. White Rose much better. Go for the large bacon cheeseburger on a hard roll.

There are different types of burgers, and this one is my favorite fried/fast food burger. For the bigger charbroiled burgers, Barnacle Bill's in Rumson and Gaffer's in West Orange are great.

Rutt's is so special because of the quality dog they use (Thumann's) and the fact that this dog is made specially for deep frying. It is certainly different than other types of hot dogs and may be an acquired taste for some. My family hates Rutt's hot dogs. Many people expect a spicier all beef dog when they go to Rutt's and are disappointed when they taste a ripper. Plus deep frying is a turnoff to some.
John the hot dog guy

#52 tommy

tommy
  • participating member
  • 15,396 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 06:59 AM

Sorry, but I love White Rose! I think their burgers are better than White Manna and White Diamond.

and White Diamond too!!!!

(i was just kinda pointing out that there are a few "clones" of the great Manna around. not sure which came first, though, although Clark's White Diamond has been there for some years now).

(and i actually meant to say White Diamond, but White Rose came out. it's all so very confusing.)

Edited by tommy, 16 December 2003 - 07:14 AM.

#53 tommy

tommy
  • participating member
  • 15,396 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 07:18 AM

chef, you can even see how the school looked when rosie attended here.

#54 John

John
  • participating member
  • 743 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 08:54 AM

Not positive, but I think White Rose System was first and White Diamond and White Circle were offshoots. Don't know if White Manna came before or after. I'm in the Clark White Diamond every day. I deliver their mail, although I don't eat there every day.
John the hot dog guy

#55 Helena Robinson

Helena Robinson
  • participating member
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 09:09 AM

[
My brother was born at Margaret Hauge. I wasn't.

I was born at Margaret Hauge. Family lived in Union City until we moved to Jackson when I was 4 1/2.

Don't recall much about those days... But, does being born in Jersey City make me a "REAL Jersey Girl???" After all, I often tell people, " I was born and raised in New Jersey - and willing to admit it." :smile:

Edited by Helena Robinson, 16 December 2003 - 09:11 AM.

#56 Taboni

Taboni
  • participating member
  • 379 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 09:34 AM

Yes, but I refuse to go there.

As a native of JC, and born at the Hauge (my mom was director of OB nursing there so I imagine she helped deliver a few of you!) I take exception to this comment. Why is the venerable White Mana (the original I believe---at least I know the building dates from the 1939 Worlds Fair) held in such disdain?? I have tied on many many late night feedbags there and nothing beats it.

note: I read somewhere that there were actually 4 or 5 White Manna diners in NJ in the 40s and only the 2 remain. Not sure why the dropping of the extraneous "N" in the JC one.
Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

#57 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 09:37 AM

Only the one in Hackensack is the "original". Its the Manna with 2 N's, not 1.
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#58 Rosie

Rosie
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 09:47 AM

chef, you can even see how the school looked when rosie attended here.

Yes. Great picture. Actually that was the lunch wagon. Do you remember those horrible high school cafeteria lunches?
TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

#59 Taboni

Taboni
  • participating member
  • 379 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 02:33 PM

Only the one in Hackensack is the "original". Its the Manna with 2 N's, not 1.

Until a source emerges that offers testimony to the contrary, I will hold my belief
that the original is in Jersey City. Until then we can agree to disagree.

AOL city guide

Jersey City history
Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

#60 tommy

tommy
  • participating member
  • 15,396 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 02:57 PM

one of those websites mentions "A Tale of Two Manna", from Weird NJ. you can order the old issue for 6 bucks, or buy the book i suppose. i'm tempted to stop at a bookstore tonight to have a quick read. :smile: