Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
562 replies to this topic

#541 blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin
  • participating member
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:00 AM

I have a yard sale "3" skillet that looks very similar. Mine says "6 1/2 inch skillet" on the reverse with a letter "P" below and on the reverse on the handle but no other makers mark:
skillet.JPG

I like to use it when a recipe calls for gently warming spices or aromatics in oil. I find it much easier to control the temp and prevent over-browning in this little pan, even if I end up transferring the contents to a larger pan for the rest of the prep.

#542 Genkinaonna

Genkinaonna
  • participating member
  • 577 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

I'm hitting the thrift stores today (it's my birthday so the kids will just have to come along and not complain) to find some little cups for soup for Thanksgiving, as well as some interesting serving pieces. We'll see how it goes and I'll post if I find anything really interesting! I'd LOVE a bitty cast iron skillet like that! The only one I have is pretty large and unwieldy, so I don't use it as much as I probably should.
If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

#543 ScoopKW

ScoopKW
  • participating member
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

I am going to TEACH my wife not to send me on her errands. I needed to run to my wife's bank to day, and put some cash in to cover a math error. The used kitchen supply place is on the way home.

Ten, count 'em, TEN gigantic, heavy, thick, copper pots and pans. (Stainless interior, thick copper exterior.) The cost was anywhere from $20-50 each. The smallest pan is twice the size of my largest copper All-Clad saute pan. Bought them all. I'll post a picture when I shine them up. I could use help with ID'ing them. No markings whatsoever.
Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

#544 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

Did you have to back to the bank/ATM again to cover your finds? That's the motherlode score but dangerous to the newly corrected bank balance as a side errand. Just sayin'...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#545 ScoopKW

ScoopKW
  • participating member
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

No, no bank worries. My wife forgot to carry the six when deciding how much to transfer into the "pay the bills" account.
Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

#546 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:22 AM

Continuing the Japanese theme of the latest Ladies Who Lunch adventure click, Kerry and I visited a thrift store where she spotted this suribachi for $2.99:

Suribachi.JPG

I am now its proud owner!

Edited to add link.

Edited by Anna N, 08 December 2011 - 05:24 AM.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#547 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,404 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:57 AM

I love it, Anna. The black is unusual.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#548 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 485 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:45 AM

I bought a big cast iron frying pan from Target for about $16. It's the best pan I've ever owned - I've used more butter on "nonstick surfaces." I don't think it's going to warp anytime soon, either.

About 90% of what I own is secondhand, mostly from eBay and garage sales. Curiously, I now own better stuff than anyone else I know.

#549 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

I bought a big cast iron frying pan from Target for about $16. It's the best pan I've ever owned - I've used more butter on "nonstick surfaces." I don't think it's going to warp anytime soon, either.

About 90% of what I own is secondhand, mostly from eBay and garage sales. Curiously, I now own better stuff than anyone else I know.

A great deal of my kitchen is also second-hand and it is amazing what one can find, often unused and still in its original box, at garage sales and thrift stores for a fraction of the retail price.

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#550 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:02 PM

Thanks. It appears to be hand made as it is quite rough and ready and there are no manufacturer's marks of any kind.

My 2004 eG Blog

#551 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

The fact that the 2nd hand pieces are often quite old is all to the advantage. Often the pieces are made out of...now wait for it...you can remember it...METAL. Like our very old sandwich and waffle grill. You can buy decent Pyrex with all the original ingredients in it...often quite dirty, but I can wash it up very well. The pots and pans can be from Korea or even Japan if you can find them that old.

And then there is the cry of discovery!!! :raz:
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#552 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,846 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

Today in the Serendipity shop in the basement of a church in Buffalo - I found a Rosle food mill - same one I own (that apparently sells for $115 online now). It only had one sieve - a mid sized - but for $18 I can pick up the 1 mm which is the most desirable in my view because you can get fine fruit seeds out with it for purees. $15 minus 20%.

#553 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

Back in the land of incredible second hand stores.

Got a brand new bread machine for $2 on 50% off Sunday for old guys. Not the best brand, but for $2 who can complain.

Also found these two sieves for 50 cents each. I just love 'em.

red sieve.JPG
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#554 boilsover

boilsover
  • participating member
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

Hi, ScoopKW:

Are there any photos forthcoming of your copper trove?

#555 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

So Kerry and I slipped into a Value Village today and I bought a $1.99 bag of gadgets. Included was this:

DSCN0602.JPG

That is an ordinary teaspoon in front for scale.

Any ideas on the purpose? Each little "hat" comes off.

My 2004 eG Blog

#556 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,404 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

They are like the little spice tagines, only much smaller. Possibly a toy, My spice tagines are 4 inches in diameter.
"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#557 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:07 AM

They are like the little spice tagines, only much smaller. Possibly a toy, My spice tagines are 4 inches in diameter.

Thank you, Andie. I was certain I could count on you to know its purpose. It may well be a toy or perhaps individual spice tagines for restaurant use. Either way I shall hang on to it.

My 2004 eG Blog

#558 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

Thrift store finds:

Tupperware Deviled Egg holder - $2
Temperature probe Meat fork, new in package - $3

Good scores.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#559 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

Thanks. It appears to be hand made as it is quite rough and ready and there are no manufacturer's marks of any kind.

Was it marked as a suribachi? It doesn't look like a traditional suribachi to me--too shallow and wide, and the ridges are going the wrong way (the surikogi is usually used in a circular motion, and if the ridges are horizontal rather than vertical, the sesame won't get ground very easily).

#560 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:01 PM

Was it marked as a suribachi? It doesn't look like a traditional suribachi to me--too shallow and wide, and the ridges are going the wrong way (the surikogi is usually used in a circular motion, and if the ridges are horizontal rather than vertical, the sesame won't get ground very easily).

No, it was not marked as such but definitely appears to have been used as a "grinder" of some sort. Whatever its original purpose it now serves as an unusual fruit bowl so I am still quite happy with the find. Thanks for your acute observations.

My 2004 eG Blog

#561 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:40 AM

I thought it looked African, so I did a little research. It's an asanka. Much more interesting than a suribachi, imo!

#562 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:59 AM

I thought it looked African, so I did a little research. It's an asanka. Much more interesting than a suribachi, imo!

Wow! That is so interesting. Thank you for doing that research. It is surely the same thing. Maybe I will have to take up African cuisine now. :rolleyes:

My 2004 eG Blog

#563 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

Wow! That is so interesting. Thank you for doing that research. It is surely the same thing. Maybe I will have to take up African cuisine now. :rolleyes:

How exciting. Wonder how it turned up in southern Ontario.

[Moderator note: This topic continues in Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 2)]

Edited by Mjx, 14 May 2013 - 12:11 AM.
Moderator note added

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates