Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

THE BEST: NYC Butcher

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#91 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

How about a reasonable source for veal knuckle bones and trimmings? Jefferey used get this for $1.50 something a pound. Now it seems like most shops price like a boutique item.

Edited by paulraphael, 04 May 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#92 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

I stopped at Union Market last week.  They didn't have veal knuckle or bones, but they had beef marrow bones for about $3 a pound.

• paulraphael likes this
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#93 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

Ok, I have a new contender: Delapietra's Gourmet Meats, on Atlantic Ave. in Brooklyn Heights/downtown Brooklyn.

I called several shops, including Heritage Meats, Otomanelli & Sons, and Florence about dry aging a chuck roll for me. Everyone hemmed and hawed about it ... either they couldn't get the cut in the quality I wanted, or they had reasons (dubious) why it was a bad idea. Rob Delapietra said no problem, that they have prime chuck subprimals in all the time, and that they'd dry age any portion that I wanted for as long as I wanted. And when he found out my plan (steaks, sous-vided for 48 hours) he said "that's gonna be freakin' amazing."

I went in and discussed the options and the yield and everything else, and he cut for me while I watched. No charge for the aging (I payed up front for fresh weight) and he gave me a very friendly discount for buying a big piece.

The meat itself looked excellent ... not insanely well marbled but well above average. And the aging cabinet looks like a very clean, custom installation. Not just an improvised corner of the walk-in, which you see in a lot of shops.

They're about a 5 minute walk from the borough hall station, where quite a few trains stop. Definitely not the most convenient location for me, but reasonable for special purchases. I can't wait to try these steaks at the end of June.

#94 ED Rails-Steakhouse

ED Rails-Steakhouse
  • general member
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the helpful information guys.  

#95 afoodaday

afoodaday
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

Not a butcher but Grazin Angus Acres stanbd at the Union Square greenmarket has the best quality grass-fed beef and pasture-raised pork. The also have all kinds of cuts, bones as well as offal. I buy my meat there every weekend.

Linh Kieu

Founder at AFoodADay.com

#96 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

For Eater, this is a good piece:

NYC - 8 Old Fashioned Butchers

mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#97 KennethT

KennethT
  • participating member
  • 884 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

I think it's ridiculous that they didn't mention Ottomanelli (on Bleecker).

#98 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

Nor Florence, around the corner.

mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog