Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Homemade Marshmallow Recipes & Tips

• Please log in to reply
1057 replies to this topic

#1051 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

I've made a few different marshmallow formulas over the years, and have come to the conclusion that I strongly prefer the recipes without egg whites. (This didn't come as a huge surprise to me, as generally speaking, I'm not a huge fan of anything with uncooked egg whites, meringue pie toppings or meringue cookies included.)

Without looking through all 35 pages, does anyone know what the egg white does, that so many recipes include it?

MelissaH
MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#1052 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

Melissa, I was recently reading this article and he talks about the addition of egg whites. http://www.eatthelov...e-marshmallows/
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#1053 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

I've made a few different marshmallow formulas over the years, and have come to the conclusion that I strongly prefer the recipes without egg whites. (This didn't come as a huge surprise to me, as generally speaking, I'm not a huge fan of anything with uncooked egg whites, meringue pie toppings or meringue cookies included.)

Without looking through all 35 pages, does anyone know what the egg white does, that so many recipes include it?

MelissaH

I am guessing texture. The ones I just made with egg whites were very fluffy and delicate. I am not sure that you could achieve the same texture without egg whites.

#1054 xxchef

xxchef
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

Some of my marshmallows are turning grainy after a few weeks. Is this "normal"? or cause?

Thanks!
The Big Cheese
BlackMesaRanch.com
My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"
BMR on FaceBook
"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

#1055 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

xxchef it's normal for them to turn grainy after some time. You can slow down the process by making sure they are stored airtight at cool room temperature in a dry location. It's the sugar re-crystallizing. They should still taste good melted. :)
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#1056 Cassie

Cassie
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

I have made a lot of different marshmallow recipes. I recently made chocolate malt marshmallows which taste great, but they are gummy. What causes gumminess in marshmallows--too much corn syrup maybe?

Edited by Cassie, 13 November 2012 - 06:52 AM.

#1057 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

I have made a lot of different marshmallow recipes. I recently made chocolate malt marshmallows which taste great, but they are gummy. What causes gumminess in marshmallows--too much corn syrup maybe?

I don't know what your recipe uses as the chocolate component but it's been my experience that any ingredient that introduces fat to the formula messes with the texture resulting in a denser, less aerated marshmallow with a texture that could easily be interpreted as gummy. Chocolate, cocoa, peanut butter, coconut milk and spray dried coconut milk powder all had that effect on marshmallows I've made. I've never been able to get a marshmallow with the traditional texture when including a fat-containing ingredient. The taste was fine, the texture not so much.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#1058 Cassie

Cassie
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

I am also wondering if the powdered ingredients prevent aeration and give the rubbery texture. I make a sweet potato/curry marshmallow and it seemed that the ones that had more curry in them were tougher. I am going to try adding the cocoa-malt slurry to the syrup before adding it to the gelatin. I had the same problem when I used coconut puree to soften the gelatin--very tasty, but tough