Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Homemade Marshmallow Recipes & Tips (Part 1)

Confections

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
613 replies to this topic

#181 jgarner53

jgarner53
  • participating member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 02:03 PM

How would this recipe be adapted for using gelatin sheets? Just do an equivalent weight of sheets to granular?
"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner
buttercream pastries

#182 KatieM

KatieM
  • participating member
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 02:44 PM

Did anyone see the Southern Living holiday mag? They had a pretty similar recipe for homemade marshmallows in one section. I was intrigued by the coconut version, which used coconut extract in the mix, and then used toasted coconut instead of the sugar/starch mixture to coat. Sounds like a sticky mess to me, but it might be good!

I made the pumpkin version for the Sycamore, IL Pumpkin Fest. I made Jack-o-Lantern ones for the kids, and plain ones for the adults. All the adults were bummed that they didn't get the Jack-o-Lantern version! They were thoroughly enjoyed by all, in any case. I was surprised, because I thought that the flavor might be a little too unusual. Once people tasted them however, they loved them. I think the pumpkin ones were actually more popular than some of the other flavors I've done in the past.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be making more cinnamon ones and mint ones with the holidays approaching. Once again Neil, your marshmallows rock!
"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

#183 JSkilling

JSkilling
  • participating member
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:05 PM

Patrick, I'd love to know how you cover them in caramel. Any recipe or photos would be auesome.............

I'm invisioning one heck of a yummy mess.

View Post

I haven't done this before, so I imagine I'll be doing some experimentation with the caramel before I get it right.

I'm thinking maybe freeze the marshmallows first to firm them. I'll at least try to cover/dip them with warm caramel, but if that doesn't work (if the warmth mushifies the marshmallows), I'll cool the caramel first, cut it out into squares and then stretch the squares by hand into a sheet that I can wrap around the marshmallows.

View Post

Here's a picture from WS catalogue that shows marshmallow enrobed in caramel.

http://ww2.williams-...79493&cmsrc=sch
Josette

#184 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:17 PM

Thanks Josette. I saw that same picture last night -- I went and browsed that Williams-Sonoma website after you mentioned it. Saw those peppermint swirl mallows too.

Well, I have the caramel cooking as we speak, and the marshmallows powdered, cut and in the freezer. I'd cross my fingers, but I need 'em right now.
"If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?" - Rumi

#185 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 07:47 PM

Alright, two batches of caramel, a few steam/caramel burns, and several vodkas and water later, I'm done with my caramel covered marshmallows. I probably should have made a bigger batch of caramel. First I tried dipping the marshmallows in the caramel, and as I suspected, the mallows melted into the caramel (which was at about 180F). So I dipped the base of the mallows in caramel, let them cool, and then spoon some caramel on top. Some of them turned out fine, looking like real Modjeskas, while others were only 50-70% covered with caramel. I made a major faux pas by putting too hot caramel on wax paper -- it was impossible to remove the mallows without ripping up some of the wax paper, so I ended up using kitchen shears to cut the mallows above the base. Next time I'll use parchment paper or silicone. I'm more than happy with the taste, but clearly I need to work on the caramel coating.

The marshmallows:
Posted Image

A coated marshmallow:
Posted Image

Most of them look more like:
Posted Image

Edited by Patrick S, 22 November 2004 - 07:54 PM.

#186 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:32 PM

How would this recipe be adapted for using gelatin sheets?  Just do an equivalent weight of sheets to granular?

View Post

Yes, equivalent weight. A 7 gram gelatin envelope is equal to seven 1 gram sheets, etc.

#187 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:31 AM

I'm delighted to see you (Patrick) experimenting and working so hard-----------then sharing with us, Thank-you!!

Personally, I'm really dumbfounded on how they do that, coat with a soft caramel.

My best guess would be that they pour out the caramel in thin sheets and when it's almost set/room temp. they're literally wrapping the marshmellow in caramel...............but then how do they get it to coat/cover the two ends?......it doesn't look like it starts out as a square sheet of caramel.

No matter how I think this through......... they have to be enrobed like a chocolate candy. So you have to really hit the right temp.s with the right caramel recipe.

#188 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:15 AM

I think I could have done better if I had not cooked the caramel so long (it is a little more firm than it should be), and if I had not powdered the marshmallows (which made it hard for the caramel to adhere to the marshmallows). With a little practice, I'm sure I can find to do this right.

#189 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:27 AM

Would refrigerating or freezing the marshmallows help prevent them from melting when put into the caramel? There might be some loss in moisture but I would think the trade off might be worth it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#190 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:10 AM

I did put the marshmallows in the freezer, but only for about an hour. It did seem to help, but next time I'll freeze longer. Maybe it would actually be helpful to have the outer surface of the marshmallows a little dry? Last night I was using marshmallows like 2 hours after they were cut, so still at peak moisture content.

IDEA: I wonder if I could work something out a two pan process, pouring caramel from one pan to other and back again, bathing marshmallows under the caramel pour on a toothpick or skewer? Maybe I could find an old pan and dent it to make a flat 'lip' that could pour the caramel in sheets?

Also . . . someone I work with tells me she's had lavender marshmallows, and that she loved them. I've heard of people using dried lavender flowers in some desserts, but I wonder if there is a commercial lavender extract of some kind? Could be interesting. Or not.

#191 JSkilling

JSkilling
  • participating member
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 02:43 PM

I'm coming the conclusion that these will likely need to be molded with smaller sections of marshmallow. How about even in a mini muffin tin? Another way might be to just layer the caramel and marshmallow and cut or roll. You know those sort of spiral caramel candies with a swath of something white in the middle. I bet if you used thin layers you could then roll them up like a roulade and slice. Not the same look but they'd be pretty.

I don't know about the lavendar but the passionfruit puree ones I made today were a hit.
Josette

#192 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 03:05 PM

Lavender is actually a traditional marshmallow flavor in France. You could try to find a food-grade extract, but another method would be to heat the sugar and water for the syrup with some dried lavender (maybe a couple tablespoons for the half recipe) and let it steep for awhile. Strain out the flowers, add the corn syrup and proceed with recipe.

#193 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:57 PM

That's interesting. I'll definitely be trying lavender next time.

#194 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:12 AM

When you flavor using lavender you have to taste your infusion to see if it's right, potent enough. I find the scent over the pot is far stronger then the taste...............also walk far away from your pot as you taste so your nose isn't fooled by the scent.

#195 DiH

DiH
  • participating member
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 06:40 AM

Those Williams Sonoma's put me in an adventurous mood to try my hand at some peppermint marshmallows...

Posted Image

Extremely tasty little things... although next time I'll stick to one color tho' and use a smaller pan. :wink:

Di

Edited in an attempt to replace crappy colors.

Edited by DiH, 25 November 2004 - 12:58 PM.

#196 JSkilling

JSkilling
  • participating member
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 07:01 AM

They are dark on my screen as well so we'll just have to imagine them as pale as the WS ones.... Did you just use extract to flavor the batch? And then did you swirl the color in after you put them in the pan or while they were on their final spin in the mixer?
Josette

#197 DiH

DiH
  • participating member
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 09:24 AM

They are dark on my screen as well so we'll just have to imagine them as pale as the WS ones....  Did you just use extract to flavor the batch?  And then did you swirl the color in after you put them in the pan or while they were on their final spin in the mixer?

View Post

Yes, humor me. hehehe

I made a basic Vanilla marshmallow, then when almost finished whipping I scooped out 2 small portions to which I added color and about 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract and finished the whipping process. Why yes, there was a wee bit of noise from three mixers going at once. I spread the vanilla batch into the pan as usual and randomly dropped splotches of the colored mixtures helter-skelter all over the top, "marbling" them in just as you would a cake.

Note: Work fast, this sh** sets up fast!

Di

Edited by DiH, 25 November 2004 - 09:28 AM.

#198 hazardnc

hazardnc
  • participating member
  • 520 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:26 AM

My first attempt at nigthscotsman's recipe for vanilla marshmallows is colling now. In my fridge, I am defrosting a package of blackberry puree and plan to use it in lieu of the strawberry. My Latin food market has a wide selection of fruit purees - I think I will try passionfruit too.

BTW - to Nightscotsman. Here is a recipe for Modjeskas that I found of Recipesource.com As suggested previously, there caramel is poured onto a slab, cooled and then cut into pieces and wrapped around the marshmallows. Modjeskas

Also, on Food Finds, they will air the episode featuring Bauer's Candies (they make Modjeskas) on December 17 at 1:30PM EST

Edited by hazardnc, 26 November 2004 - 10:50 AM.

#199 bluechefk

bluechefk
  • participating member
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:16 AM

i may have missed this earlier in the thread - and forgive me if i did - but what is the sheet gelatin equivalent to gelatin in packages, i.e. how many sheets of gelatin equals one package of gelatin? i'm desperate to try out these marshmallows asap :-)

thanks - kerry

#200 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 11:28 AM

I think its a weight-for-weight substitution, so the envelope-to-sheet conversion will depend on the weight of the sheets you're using. An envelope of Know gelatine is 7 grams. According to the entry for gelatin on Epicurious food lover's companion, 4 leafs are equal to one envelope.

EDIT TO ADD: Thanks for the head's-up, hazardnc. I'm very interested to see how Bauer's does it.

Jskilling, I like the idea of a caramel-marshmallow roulade. The idea has grown on me.

I picked out the 15 or so best Modjeskas to take to my family's thanksgiving get together. Everyone agreed that they were good knock-offs of the Bauer's Modjeska's. I was afraid the caramel would be too chewey, but it turned out to be melt-in-mouth after a couple days.

Posted Image

Edited by Patrick S, 27 November 2004 - 11:48 AM.

#201 lemon curd

lemon curd
  • participating member
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 06:57 PM

I printed out nightscotsman's recipe a while back and finally got around to making my batches today. First one was chocolate, second was vanilla and third was peppermint (thanks to Toliver for the peppermint suggestion).

My first batch did not get very fluffy. From reading completely through this entire thread I suspect I may not have done a proper sheet gelatin conversion. I used 3 sheets per 1 envelope but I think it might have been too much as my sheets are very long. Another explanation might be that my cocoa powder had too high of a fat content. I used 1/3 cup of Cacao Barry Extra Brute.

My second and third batches (both 1/2 batches) were much more successful. I switched to packaged gelatin for both and also did a soft ball test in addition to using my thermometer. I discovered that 240 deg F on my thermometer is not soft ball stage. I needed to go closer to 246 deg F.

I slightly overwhipped the second batch as it was a bit thicker than I expected when removed it from the mixing bowl. It didn’t quite have the “pillowy” look of Patrick S’s batch, but was still good.

I backed off on the whipping time for my third batch (about 6 mins as it was a 1/2 recipe) and the texture was much better. BTW I used about 1/16 tsp of peppermint extract for the 1/2 batch and added a bit of green food colouring. I was extremely (!) pleased with the results. I’ll let them sit overnight and experiment with cutting them into shapes tomorrow.

I will be making the peppermint batch again next weekend to bring to the Vancouver Canada egullet Christmas cookie exchange. They will be awesome with hot chocolate as suggested by Toliver.

Thanks nightscotsman for the recipe!!
Support your local farmer

Currently reading:
The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:
The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

#202 Tepee

Tepee
  • participating member
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:34 PM

I've a question for those of you who have used candy molds to fill marshmallows. Do the molds have to be oiled, and, if so, what do you grease the molds with - oil or shortening? TIA!
TPcal!
Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

#203 Joni

Joni
  • participating member
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:07 AM

I made peppermint ones...they were great right when I made them, but the next day it seemed like th peppermint flavor had evaporated! I used probably 1/4 tsp in half a batch.

Re: swirling the colors...has anyone put the red food coloring right on top and then swirl them or how do you do this?

#204 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:19 AM

Joni - for a half batch I used 1 tsp vanilla & 1 tsp peppermint extract. The flavour held up well in hot chocolate but was a bit strong if you were just eating them straight.
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#205 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 10:09 AM

I've a question for those of you who have used candy molds to fill marshmallows. Do the molds have to be oiled, and, if so, what do you grease the molds with - oil or shortening? TIA!

View Post

I used silicone molds sprayed lightly with flavorless baking spray. No sticking at all.

#206 amyd

amyd
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 02:25 PM

Re: swirling the colors...has anyone put the red food coloring right on top and then swirl them or how do you do this?

View Post

I did exactly that. Put a few drops of food coloring and swirl with a toothpick as you are putting the marshmallows into the sheet pan. For an extra effect, I added coloring to the starch/sugar mixture. It made the swirls a little bit softer and filled in any swirls that I didn't really like.

#207 Joni

Joni
  • participating member
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:39 PM

View Post

I did exactly that. Put a few drops of food coloring and swirl with a toothpick as you are putting the marshmallows into the sheet pan. For an extra effect, I added coloring to the starch/sugar mixture. It made the swirls a little bit softer and filled in any swirls that I didn't really like.

View Post

Amy..so you put a little bit of the marshmallow into the pan, add some food coloring, put more on top? Or put the food coloring into the bowl and swirl? Sorry, am not quite understanding! Also read that Martha Stewart has it in her Dec magazine, but someone on Chowhound or somewhere said it was impossible todo..

#208 Tepee

Tepee
  • participating member
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 01:03 AM

I just did a swirl last night, by mixing a bowl of red and a bowl of green marshmallow fresh from the mixer. Then I placed blobs of the 2 colors randomly on my layer of white colored lychee-flavored marshmallow. The fun part is the swirling; it was such fun doing it that I asked my 10-year old to have a go at it.

Please excuse the imperfect image.
Posted Image

Since I didn't see a reply to my prior question above in time, I just went ahead and do a sheet thing, and this morning, cut it into hearts. Thanks, Neil, for your reply; yup, I think it's high time I went and got a can of baking spray.

Posted Image

Edited by Tepee, 09 December 2004 - 01:40 AM.

TPcal!
Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

#209 Megaroo

Megaroo
  • participating member
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 01:29 AM

I just wanted to say that I made Neil's recipe for marshmellows yesterday and they are FABULOUS! Now I wonder why people eat Kraft! :raz: Anyways, mine weren't quite as pillowy (although they were soft and fluffy) so I'm wondering what I can do to make them even more fluffy... (Oh, and my father, the one who will only eat cakes frosted with Seven Minute Frosting, said that they were his new favorite treat since they taste like his special frosting)...

#210 amyd

amyd
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 07:27 AM

[/quote]
Amy..so you put a little bit of the marshmallow into the pan, add some food coloring, put more on top? Or put the food coloring into the bowl and swirl? Sorry, am not quite understanding!
[/quote]

The first batch I tried, I put all of the marchmallow into the pan, put a few drops of coloring directly on top, then swirled. This gave a nice effect and was really easy, but I only got the swirl on one side.

The next batch, I worked in stages - put a little marshmallow in and swirled, than added a little more. It was a little messier to do, but allowed the swirls to get on both sides. I suppose I could have just swirled in the bowl before putting the marshmallow in the pan.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections