Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Homemade Marshmallow Recipes & Tips (Part 1)

Confections

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
613 replies to this topic

#601 Lumas

Lumas
  • participating member
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:03 AM

LOL. That was great. I don't remember on what page it was posted, but someone had stated that they tryed adding bananas to the marshmallow recipe and it ruined the texture.

Edited by Lumas, 16 February 2007 - 04:48 PM.

#602 Majra

Majra
  • participating member
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:06 AM

Inspired by Majas post, I decided to make strawberry marshmallows dipped in white chocolate. I ground up some flower shaped pink sprinkles and added that to the top.

Posted Image

View Post

Lovely! And I'm flattered that I inspired you. :smile:

#603 Genny

Genny
  • participating member
  • 730 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:27 AM

LOL. That was great. I don't remember on what page it was posted, but someone had stated that they tryed adding bananas to the marshmallow recipe and it ruined the texture. Not that I know anything about the science, but bananas contain gluten. Could beating the mixture activate the gluten and make the marshmallows, almost taffy like?

View Post

Ohhhhhhh! Hell. Thanks for the info! The flavor was AMAZING too! Everything I would want the flavor to be. I hate the artificial flavor. Shoot. Well, I'm re-making them today and will attempt to do the heart shape. We have a Valentine's/Poker party (V for the girls, Poker to get the guys to come without bitching) so I was hoping to bring them as a treat.

By the way, swirled in melted caramels in banana tastes fabulous! I'll swirl into vanilla instead I guess.

#604 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:56 AM

LOL. That was great. I don't remember on what page it was posted, but someone had stated that they tryed adding bananas to the marshmallow recipe and it ruined the texture. Not that I know anything about the science, but bananas contain gluten. Could beating the mixture activate the gluten and make the marshmallows, almost taffy like?

View Post

It surprises me to hear that bananas contain gluten.

#605 blackcat

blackcat
  • participating member
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:04 AM

View Post

View Post

Re: strange taffy like texture... The same thing happened to me except i was making peppermint marshmallows. I'm not sure what happened, however i was using a new candy thermometer Was it a temperature thing? Or maybe I measured incorrectly.....

blackcat

#606 KrazedMom

KrazedMom
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:24 AM

View Post

View Post

Bananas do not contain gluten. Gluten is a protein found in wheat and other grains that allows elasticity when it is activated (for lack of a better term).
Bananas in the original mixture merely didn't allow enough air to get whipped into the marshmallow mixture. If you are going to add banana, add it the very last minute or two to avoid deflating your mix. I would suggest mushing up the banana and s l o w l y add it. Are you adding any kind of acid to keep them from browning? I'm not sure of the interaction of the acids needed to keep the banana from browning and the marshmallow mixture...so it may be trial and error as far as lemon vs lime vs ascorbic acid

Edited by KrazedMom, 16 February 2007 - 11:29 AM.

#607 Lumas

Lumas
  • participating member
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

Yea they don't contan gluten. I think only grains do? Don't ask why I had that idea in my head. You can tell I know nothing about breads... *runs back to tarts and marshmallow making*

Edited by Lumas, 16 February 2007 - 04:49 PM.

#608 McAuliflower

McAuliflower
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

Regarding bananas... adding them at the normal fruit puree step can be done with no problems.

Marshmallows not fluffing and resembling taffy is a temperature issue with the sugar solution. Your solution was brought to too high of a temperature and passed the crucial soft ball stage.

I've made amazing brown sugar banana marshmallows with hints of butterscotch due to the all brown sugar. Definitely recommend it.
"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch." --JB
Brownie Points- Culinary Notebook

#609 KrazedMom

KrazedMom
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 05:08 PM

Regarding bananas... adding them at the normal fruit puree step can be done with no problems.

Marshmallows not fluffing and resembling taffy is a temperature issue with the sugar solution.  Your solution was brought to too high of a temperature and passed the crucial  soft ball stage.

I've made amazing brown sugar banana marshmallows with hints of butterscotch due to the all brown sugar.  Definitely recommend it.

View Post

What do you do to keep the bananas from browning? Also, am I correct in assuming the adding of the fruit puree is at the very end of the process and more of a folding in procedure?

Your brown sugar banana marshmallows almost sound like Bananas Foster....maybe add some rum to them in addition to the vanilla? Instead of jello shooters, you'd have mallow shooters! LOL

#610 McAuliflower

McAuliflower
  • participating member
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:58 PM

Marshmallows not fluffing and resembling taffy is a temperature issue with the sugar solution.  Your solution was brought to too high of a temperature and passed the crucial  soft ball stage.

I've made amazing brown sugar banana marshmallows with hints of butterscotch due to the all brown sugar.  Definitely recommend it.

View Post

What do you do to keep the bananas from browning? Also, am I correct in assuming the adding of the fruit puree is at the very end of the process and more of a folding in procedure?

Your brown sugar banana marshmallows almost sound like Bananas Foster....maybe add some rum to them in addition to the vanilla? Instead of jello shooters, you'd have mallow shooters! LOL

View Post

No- don't fold the fruit puree in. Follow the Nightscotsman marshmallow recipe we are all so enraptured with and have the fruit in the bowl with the blooming gelatin.

And don't worry about the bananas browning- they don't.

Toasting those babies is very much like a bananas foster! I put my homemade vanilla in (the bourbon based one), which helps draw out the similarities too!
"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch." --JB
Brownie Points- Culinary Notebook

#611 KrazedMom

KrazedMom
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

No- don't fold the fruit puree in. Follow the Nightscotsman marshmallow recipe we are all so enraptured with and have the fruit in the bowl with the blooming gelatin.

And don't worry about the bananas browning- they don't.

Toasting those babies is very much like a bananas foster! I put my homemade vanilla in (the bourbon based one), which helps draw out the similarities too!

View Post

[/quote]
Not that I am questioning your advice (I think you are a marshmallow goddess!), but I want to understand some stuff. Why wouldn't the fruit at the beginning inhibit the marshmallow from being fluffy? Also, would adding the fruit towards the end be a problem? I am thinking of making a swirl type with layers of the fruit. Would the fruit like that cause it to degrade? I am just trying to get some info before I attempt anything to help prevent disasters. Thank you so much for helping me!

#612 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:36 AM

But isn't that exactly what Genny did? I'm reading what she wrote again, and I'm interpreting it as "She strained the banana into mixer bowl with the gelatin and then poured the sugar syrup in with the mixer whirring away."

Unless her sugar wasn't hot enough...?
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#613 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:32 AM

Not that I am questioning your advice (I think you are a marshmallow goddess!), but I want to understand some stuff. Why wouldn't the fruit at the beginning inhibit the marshmallow from being fluffy? Also, would adding the fruit towards the end be a problem? I am thinking of making a swirl type with layers of the fruit.  Would the fruit like that cause it to degrade? I am just trying to get some info before I attempt anything to help prevent disasters. Thank you so much for helping me!

View Post

the marshmallows are not like meringue. they are not relying on egg white albumen to expand for their fluffiness. thus, it doesn't matter that you add the fruit puree at the beginning because you are only relying on the temperature of the sugar syrup and the fact that your gelatin is properly hydrated to incorporate air into the mixture.

adding the fruit at the end is not like adding other types of swirls (this is my educated opinion). adding a nut paste swirl or dry swirl isn't quite the same as adding a banana puree swirl. i think a banana swirl would degrade as fast as a peeled banana being left out at room temperature.

#614 KrazedMom

KrazedMom
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:50 AM

the marshmallows are not like meringue.  they are not relying on egg white albumen to expand for their fluffiness.  thus, it doesn't matter that you add the fruit puree at the beginning because you are only relying on the temperature of the sugar syrup and the fact that your gelatin is properly hydrated to incorporate air into the mixture.

adding the fruit at the end is not like adding other types of swirls (this is my educated opinion).  adding a nut paste swirl or dry swirl isn't quite the same as adding a banana puree swirl.  i think a banana swirl would degrade as fast as a peeled banana being left out at room temperature.

View Post

That makes sense about the fruit. It seems like the heat from the sugar syrup probably 'cooks' the fruit enough to keep it from doing anything to destroy the marshmallow too. I haven't ventured into the fruit world yet-I am waiting for strawberries to come into season here in SoCal. I just did a batch with toasted coconut tops and bottoms and coated the sides with chocolate. They taste like an overgrown Mounds Bar YUM!

Thanks for everyone's advice!

[Moderator's note: This topic continues here: Homemade Marshmallow Recipes & Tips (Part 2)]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections