Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Homemade Marshmallow Recipes & Tips (Part 1)

Confections

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
613 replies to this topic

#301 DSkurnick

DSkurnick
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:06 PM

as for adding flavors, I would add any dry ingrediants (spices, vanilla beans, instant espresso powder), extracts or flavor compounds towards the end of the final whipping process. I feel the natural oil in spices breaks down the marshmallow and makes it a little too soft.
Also, you can make a honey flavored marshmallow using a similar recipe
240 g whites
20 g gelatin
360 g sugar
40 g honey.

I would caramelize the honey to intensify the flavor. Add the sugar, cook with water to 155 C. pour into whipping soft peak whites

You can substitute fruit purees for water. I've made great raspberry flavored ones.

#302 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:36 AM

In case anyone has missed it, this is Neil's recipe posted/linked to from page 1 of this discussion:
"Strawberry Marshmallows"
It also includes two variations: Chocolate and Vanilla.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#303 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for the advice, Wendy. I'm checking out prices on flavor compounds and oils.  I'm browsing through Boyajian, Amoretti, and other manufacturer sites. I see lots of products I'm interested in trying out.

Here's some pics of the banana marshmallows I made the other night. I'm posting them now because I didnt have my camera yesterday. They really are good, though I'm eager to try again with a better flavor agent.  They could also use some more color.

View Post

I tried a different, natural banana flavoring (Frontier brand), and I'm happy to report that the flavor is much better. Whatever that "something" was that turned me off the last flavoring, it is not present this time. The flavoring I used is mixed with canola oil, but that doesn't seem to have affected the texture in any adverse way. I ended up using 2t, and I added it towards the end of the whipping rather than at the very beginning.

Posted Image
"If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?" - Rumi

#304 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 02:47 PM

I've just been through all 11 pages and was wondering if anybody had any success with the agar agar??

I've never used gelatin - kosher reasons. I've looked for the Emes brand, and 'truth' be told, can't find it. I just placed an order for some stuff with Eden foods and they had kosher agar agar so some is on the way. Will it work or would I be wasting my time?

#305 LoveToEatATL

LoveToEatATL
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:47 AM

I've just been through all 11 pages and was wondering if anybody had any success with the agar agar?? 

I've never used gelatin - kosher reasons.  I've looked for the Emes brand, and 'truth' be told, can't find it.  I just placed an order for some stuff with Eden foods and they had kosher agar agar so some is on the way.  Will it work or would I be wasting my time?

View Post

If I recall correctly, someone did make the marshmallows with the agar agar and said that the texture was a touch different, but not much difference in the taste.

I know this an incredibly long thread, but I'm sure that this is addressed somewhere.

I just made some vanilla marshmallows for a friend after she begged - they are so good!
Patti Davis
www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

#306 LoveToEatATL

LoveToEatATL
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:52 AM

I've never used gelatin - kosher reasons.  I've looked for the Emes brand, and 'truth' be told, can't find it.  I just placed an order for some stuff with Eden foods and they had kosher agar agar so some is on the way.  Will it work or would I be wasting my time?

View Post

If I recall correctly, someone did make the marshmallows with the agar agar and said that the texture was a touch different, but not much difference in the taste.

I know this an incredibly long thread, but I'm sure that this is addressed somewhere.

I just made some vanilla marshmallows for a friend after she begged - they are so good!

View Post

Pam,

I was wrong. I just searched the site and here is one of the posts regarding agar:

I haven't tried agar in marshmallows, but I have heard people complain that it doesn't set up well. Also, I find that agar sometimes contributes an off flavor unless the other ingredients are strong enough to hide it. (I wasn't so happy with Agar panacotta, but stronger flavored fruit-based jellys were fine). Kojel or other vegetable-based gelatin seems to be more popular. Here's a recipe I bookmarked a while ago...most recipes I've seen seem to be a variation on this.

If you would like to read all the posts regarding agar, click on search and type in agar agar - that will take you to all the discussions regarding this ingredient.

I really hope you try the marshmallows - they are heavenly.

Wendy - I am blown away by your creations! They are incredible!
Patti Davis

#307 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:07 AM

LoveToEatATL - Thanks for the response. I actually came upon this thread when I did a search for agar agar. Then I read the whole thing and I guess I was just hoping that somebody else had tried using it and found that it worked well :smile:

Although in the end, my shipment from Eden was missing the agar agar - so it'll have to wait for the next order - unless somebody can tell me where to get a hold of Emes gelatin.

#308 LoveToEatATL

LoveToEatATL
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:09 PM

LoveToEatATL - Thanks for the response.  I actually came upon this thread when I did a search for agar agar.  Then I read the whole thing and I guess I was just hoping that somebody else had tried using it and found that it worked well  :smile:

Although in the end, my shipment from Eden was missing the agar agar - so it'll have to wait for the next order - unless somebody can tell me where to get a hold of Emes gelatin.

View Post

Pam,

I googled it for you - you can order online!

Emes Gelatin online!
Patti Davis

#309 laniloa

laniloa
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:22 AM

I had my first crack at these this weekend. They are unbelievably simple and are drawing many perplexed looks at the office that you can actually make marshmallows similar to what others have mentioned. I made one batch of raspberry and one vanilla. While I like the berry, the vanilla is fabulous. Just after cutting them yestarday they had a subtle strange taste that has disappeared today. Thanks Neil!

#310 susiew

susiew
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:04 PM

I have made the recipe from the Dec. 1998 Gourmet magazine numerous times and love them. They always come out perfectly fluffy but not too soft and have a good shelf life.
http://www.epicuriou...ews/views/15797

#311 mpshort

mpshort
  • participating member
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:05 PM

Made Neil's recipe yesterday for a plated dessert ( "s'mores" like) and it came out beautifully. I'm going to try making the chocolate ones and roll the cut edges in toasted coconut for a petit four.

#312 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 02:15 AM

I made banana marshamallow a couple weeks ago. Just replaced the strawberry with banana puree (important to puree just before you need it so it doesn't turn brown). Coated with unsweetened toasted coconut. Nice. Also good piped into a silicone dome mold and mini chocolate cupcake inserted like a "Snowball".

#313 laniloa

laniloa
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:45 AM

I made banana marshamallow a couple weeks ago. Just replaced the strawberry with banana puree (important to puree just before you need it so it doesn't turn brown).

View Post

By this do you mean you soak the gelatin in just water and puree and add banana just before adding the hot sugar?

#314 Patrick S

Patrick S
  • participating member
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:24 AM

I made banana marshamallow a couple weeks ago. Just replaced the strawberry with banana puree (important to puree just before you need it so it doesn't turn brown).

View Post

By this do you mean you soak the gelatin in just water and puree and add banana just before adding the hot sugar?

View Post

Yes. Add the 4 packs gelatin to 1/2C water. Get your syrup started. As your syrup gets close to temp, puree the banana and add it to the gelatin, then mix in the syrup.
"If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?" - Rumi

#315 laniloa

laniloa
  • participating member
  • 479 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:27 AM

View Post

View Post

Yes. Add the 4 packs gelatin to 1/2C water. Get your syrup started. As your syrup gets close to temp, puree the banana and add it to the gelatin, then mix in the syrup.

View Post

Thanks. I liked the vanilla much better then the raspberry batch I made last weekend but banana strikes me as a great marshmallow flavor for whatever reason.

#316 LoveToEatATL

LoveToEatATL
  • participating member
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:29 PM

Nightscotsman and Kew have made me a legend with my new marshmallow skills.

I would like to make chocolate covered marshmallows on a stick. Would I freeze the marshmallows first and then dip them?
Patti Davis

#317 Sethro

Sethro
  • participating member
  • 637 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:25 PM

There should be no need to freeze them. They'll only be in 85-90 degree chocolate for a second or so. Plus, refridgerating or freezing marshmallows is a bad idea since their moisture levels are very sensitive, being nearly 100% hydroscopic.

#318 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:45 PM

Any ideas for other coatings as an option to coconut? I use sweetened shredded coconut on the strawberry marshmallows and it not only tastes good, it looks very pretty. Gives the impression of fairy cakes for tea time. But reading through this thread again, I see caramel and chocolate which would be delicious but not suitable for my purposes, and toasted coconut. Has anyone tried something different? Or do you have ideas that would work well with the marshmallow texture? I'm just looking for some brain-storming to give me options.
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#319 Beanie

Beanie
  • participating member
  • 414 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:28 AM

Any ideas for other coatings as an option to coconut? I use sweetened shredded coconut on the strawberry marshmallows and it not only tastes good, it looks very pretty. Gives the impression of fairy cakes for tea time. But reading through this thread again, I see caramel and chocolate which would be delicious but not suitable for my purposes, and toasted coconut. Has anyone tried something different? Or do you have ideas that would work well with the marshmallow texture? I'm just looking for some brain-storming to give me options.

View Post

After cutting the marshmallows I rolled them in graham cracker crumbs and dipped them diagonally in chocolate. My chocolate skills are virtually non-existent, but they tasted good. :raz:
Ilene

#320 Genny

Genny
  • participating member
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:58 PM

How about finely ground nuts? That souds pretty good to me. Walnut and marshmallow?

#321 techno foodie

techno foodie
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:37 AM

I've been making these marshies for a while now, ever since I first saw this thread. Until now, though, I've only tried "normal" flavors like vanilla, chocolate and peppermint.

This weekend I tried pumpkin, based on someone's suggestion here (sorry - forgot the name!). Just replaced the strawberry puree with pumpkin pie filling (with spices incorporated). Oh, and I added a bit of color, making them a pretty pale orange after they were done.

Everyone I've given them to seems to like them, though I don't think it's a flavor I will make for myself again. Eaten plain, they have a slightly "off" flavor - not sure if it's from the pumpkin or the spices.

Anyway, I have been dreaming of making a peanut butter variety. Does anyone know if this would, in fact, work? I thought I could add the peanut butter to the sugar syrup and then pour the whole thing in with the gelatin mixture. Will this work, or would the oil in the PB create havoc with the final product?

Regardless, this is such a great recipe. Thank you for sharing!
Bryan Ochalla, a.k.a. "Techno Foodie"
http://technofoodie.blogspot.com/

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
Orson Welles (1915 - 1985)

#322 amccomb

amccomb
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:11 PM

Anyway, I have been dreaming of making a peanut butter variety.  Does anyone know if this would, in fact, work?  I thought I could add the peanut butter to the sugar syrup and then pour the whole thing in with the gelatin mixture.  Will this work, or would the oil in the PB create havoc with the final product?

Regardless, this is such a great recipe.  Thank you for sharing!

View Post

I've been wondering about peanut butter, too. I thought I read farther upstream in this thread that fat will keep the mixture from whipping up well, so you will end up with flatter, denser marshmallows. My thought was to go ahead and whip up plain marshmallows, but then fold in the peanut butter at the end. I still haven't tried this, though!

Keep us posted!

#323 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 02:09 PM

Bicycle Lee - I made Neil's marshmallow yesterday, using 30gm of pure agar-agar powder.

I must have the marsmallow jinx or something coz it didn't turn out right!

I don't know what went wrong. I heated the sugar mixture up to 240F. And then whisked it but it never turn fluffy. I beat for a total of 25 mins before giving up. It remained syrupy.

I just made a batch with agar. I used 1 oz. I have absolutely no experience with agar or gelatin, so I wasn't really sure of what to do. It thickened up a bit, but didn't get stiff and voluminous.

My agar is flaked, not powdered. Am I supposed to bring the agar to a boil and simmer it? I know that Neil's recipe calls for sprinkling the gelatin into the strawberry/water mix - but I don't think this works with the agar. I did heat up 1/2 cup of water and added the agar but it immediately soaked up the water and did nothing. And can I then let the agar sit or does it need to hit the water just before the hot sugar mixture is added? Will the whole thing work if I add the simmered agar to the hot sugar mix once it's already beating in the mixer?

Any thoughts?

#324 taylor214

taylor214
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:38 PM

I made 8 batches of these marshmallows today only to realize that I had forgotten the salt! Is this going to affect anything significantly? They tasted fine in the gooey stage (still have to set overnight), but I'm wondering if the missing salt dramatically affects the final product?!?

Quick replies will be appreciated as these are for a wedding on Friday and I would have to re-do everything tomorrow if necessary...

THANKS!

#325 CanadianBakin'

CanadianBakin'
  • participating member
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:45 PM

I don't know for sure, but I think it's just a flavor thing. I think they'll be fine.
Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

#326 Betts

Betts
  • participating member
  • 418 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:51 PM

Has anyone tried the recipe with brown sugar? I'm thinking that this might give a caramel -ly flavor to the marshmallows.

#327 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 04:04 AM

Bicycle Lee - I made Neil's marshmallow yesterday, using 30gm of pure agar-agar powder.

I must have the marsmallow jinx or something coz it didn't turn out right!

I don't know what went wrong. I heated the sugar mixture up to 240F. And then whisked it but it never turn fluffy. I beat for a total of 25 mins before giving up. It remained syrupy.

I just made a batch with agar. I used 1 oz. I have absolutely no experience with agar or gelatin, so I wasn't really sure of what to do. It thickened up a bit, but didn't get stiff and voluminous.

My agar is flaked, not powdered. Am I supposed to bring the agar to a boil and simmer it? I know that Neil's recipe calls for sprinkling the gelatin into the strawberry/water mix - but I don't think this works with the agar. I did heat up 1/2 cup of water and added the agar but it immediately soaked up the water and did nothing. And can I then let the agar sit or does it need to hit the water just before the hot sugar mixture is added? Will the whole thing work if I add the simmered agar to the hot sugar mix once it's already beating in the mixer?

Any thoughts?

View Post

You need to bring to boil the water with the agar-agar in it, or it won't set.

I don't know how this applies to marshmallow making, but the longer the liquid boils, the harder the resulting jelly will be.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#328 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:52 AM

You need to bring to boil the water with the agar-agar in it, or it won't set.

I don't know how this applies to marshmallow making, but the longer the liquid boils, the harder the resulting jelly will be.

View Post

thanks - i did try another batch yesterday that seemed to work a little better. But 1 oz. of agar needs a lot more than 1/2 cup of water to boil. So I probably added another cup of water, and watched the agar grow and grow. Then I was concerned that it was too much extra water (and agar) to add to the marshmallow mix - so I held some of it back. It never got 'stiff'.

So now I don't know how much agar to use, and how much water I can add.

#329 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:16 AM

Pam, did you dissolve the agar-agar into the water before boiling it? You can use hot water for this step.

I use powdered--a Thai brand that my grand-uncle living near the Thailand-Malaysia border gets for my mom--so I don't know whether flaked makes a difference.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#330 Pam R

Pam R
  • manager
  • 6,837 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:32 AM

Pam, did you dissolve the agar-agar into the water before boiling it? You can use hot water for this step.

I did.. and it sucked the water up instantly. So when I placed it on the stove, it started to stick to the pot, so I immediately added the extra water. :hmmm: I'm not giving up, I'm just not sure which way to go.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections