Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cocktail Books: The Topic

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#241 Frederic

Frederic
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

As of today, the Drink & Tell: A Boston Cocktail Book is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and soon elsewhere. Working on the Kindle and Nook versions. And it should be in some brick & mortar stores like the Boston Shaker!

Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/0988281805

Edited by Mjx, 13 September 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#242 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

A new book by eG member Kevin Liu, Craft Cocktails at Home: Offbeat Techniques, Contemporary
Crowd-Pleasers, and Classics Hacked with Science
just came out. Has anybody read it? From its table of contents, it looks like it would be an interesting read with a science-based approach to cocktail-making.

#243 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Just bought the eBook for $4 at the link above. Will report back -- and thanks Kevin!

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#244 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

A new book by eG member Kevin Liu, Craft Cocktails at Home: Offbeat Techniques, Contemporary
Crowd-Pleasers, and Classics Hacked with Science
, just came out. Has anybody read it? From its table of contents, it looks like it would be an interesting read with a science-based approach to cocktail-making.

my copy is in the mail. i had the pleasure of finally meeting and making drinks for kevin a few weeks ago. kevin is definitely brilliant. i cannot wait to see what he has come up with. i went with a print version but i hear a free kindle version is available on thursday.
abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#245 Kevin Liu

Kevin Liu
  • participating member
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

What amazing company to keep on this humble food forum!  All four of the previous four posters are featured in the book in various ways.  You guys are an inspiration!

Hope you like the book and please let me know if there is anything I can clarify/correct/add to.

I blog about science and cooking: www.sciencefare.org

#246 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Kevin, can you check the chart on juices and make sure it's what you intended? I was shocked to see the lime juice expiration times in particular. 

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#247 Kevin Liu

Kevin Liu
  • participating member
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Chris, good catch.  I struggled a lot with whether to include this chart:

Citrus Juices.jpg

Most online references will say that lime and lemon juices should not be stored in the fridge for more than a week or so, but I wasn't able to find any scientific literature to back that up.

The info on lime juice comes from a review of literature found in Hui (ed.), Handbook of Fruits and Fruit Processing, Page 345.  It summarizes a 1961 paper by Ikeda et al. this way:

"Pasteurized juice can be stored at 2◦C for 15 months without appreciable change in flavor. In untreated samples, changes occur and storage life is limited to about 4.5 months at 27◦C."

So I actually tried to go *very* conservative in the 1-2 month recommendation, which I found reference for lemon juice, if memory serves me right.

With that being said,

"Shelf life" in this context refers specifically to when consumers felt that lime juice was "unacceptable" in flavor. By my testing, I think lime juice gets overly bitter in about a day or so due to enzymatic bittering, which is why I say the juice is best used in 4-10 hours.

So: I wouldn't use 1-2 month lime juice ever. But I wanted to be complete in my testing, so there you go.

Does that make sense?

#248 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Watching for the paperback to hit amazon.ca. My ereader isn't a Kindle... and I kinda like having my cocktail books as physical books anyway.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#249 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 622 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

Finished Craft Cocktails at Home last night and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's the first book I'd recommend to those with a science/engineering background who want to get into cocktails. That said, a lot of its content is directed at those already invested in cocktail culture. It has a lot to offer cocktail enthusiasts(/nerds) who want to understand the scientific underpinnings of important concepts like dilution, citrus freshness, infusion, acid content, etc. It puts across a huge amount of information in a style that stays light, clear, amusing, and witty. And it's full of great ideas and recipes that I can't wait to try: almost instant allspice liqueur (which I'll be making later this week), an orgeat recipe so simple it feels like cheating, and many more. I'm especially glad for the chapter on good drinks to convert cocktail novices, and for the exploration of alternative forms of acid in cocktails, a concept I've long been interested in. My one complaint, if you can call it that, is that many of the chapters feel more like jumping-off points for further discussion than complete overviews of a given subjects; but, as this is a forum devoted precisely to those kinds of discussions, and as there's an entire blog attached to the book to explore and interact with, I don't see this as a real problem. (One other complaint, this one directed at Amazon: the Kindle app on my iPhone consistently mangled all the lovely charts. You get what you pay for, I guess.) Thank you for the book, Kevin, and I look forward to reading on on the blog. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#250 Kevin Liu

Kevin Liu
  • participating member
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

@Rafa,

great comments, thanks a ton. I'm working on getting all the charts and graphics on to the blog now.  If you have any specific questions about recipes or techniques please feel free to post here or drop me an email at kevin@craftcocktailsathome.com 

#251 Kevin Liu

Kevin Liu
  • participating member
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

Regarding the shelf life of citrus juices, here's an insightful article by Harold McGee, in which he writes:

Food technologists define shelf life not by how long it takes for food to become inedible, but how long it takes for a trained sensory panel to detect a “just noticeable difference”

Just wanted to share that article because he puts the blabber I wrote above into more eloquent words.

#252 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

Does anyone have Tony Conigliaro's Cocktail Lab (known as Drinks in the UK)? It's coming out tomorrow in the US but the European edition has been around for a while already. Is it worth getting?

#253 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

No takers for Tony Conigliaro's Cocktail Lab?

Meanwhile, I have serious envy when seeing Greg Boehm's cocktail book library. This was 4 years ago so I am sure it has expanded since then. Just amazing.

http://ohgosh.tv/epi...d-puddle-books/

#254 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 622 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

No takers for Tony Conigliaro's Cocktail Lab?

Meanwhile, I have serious envy when seeing Greg Boehm's cocktail book library. This was 4 years ago so I am sure it has expanded since then. Just amazing.

http://ohgosh.tv/epi...d-puddle-books/

I haven't read it, but I've heard it called one of the best contemporary cocktail books by people who have. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#255 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

So of course I ended up buying Tony Conigliaro's book (which, by the way, just won a James Beard award in the Beverage category), together with a bunch of other cocktail books.

Recently I got Beachbum Berry's Potions of the Caribbean, and this little book about absinthe cocktails from my favorite used book store in Hillcrest.

14096849165_e60fecb830_z.jpg

#256 Honkman

Honkman
  • participating member
  • 314 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

...from my favorite used book store in Hillcrest.

Which one ? I always look for good, new bookstores

Edited by Honkman, 05 May 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#257 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

Which one ? I always look for good, new bookstores

5th Avenue Books, roughly across from Salt & Cleaver. They are open late.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 05 May 2014 - 12:49 PM.

#258 Honkman

Honkman
  • participating member
  • 314 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

Many (not all) of the important books discussed here are often written >10 years ago and are really important to understand how the cocktail world has evolved over the last several years covering also a lot about the history of many cocktail classics (and similar to cooking it is important to to first have to learn the classics before you really can start experimenting with more complex creations). But what would you consider critical/important books covering the most recent developments: PDT, Drink & Tell,.... ?

#259 J_Ozzy

J_Ozzy
  • participating member
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

The Gaz Regan's annual manual / best new cocktails series has been a decent snapshot of cocktail developments over the past 3 years.

Edit: the "best new cocktails" releases for 2012-13 and the inaugural 2011 annual manual, specifically; the subsequent annual manuals are great, but more focused on the craft of bartending than recipes.

Edited by J_Ozzy, 09 May 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#260 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

Just picked up Embury. How refreshing to read something so opinionated! (Though I have to imagine the state of Scotch whisky in 1948 must have SUCKED, as he claimed to have not been wild about it)

#261 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

Just picked up Embury. How refreshing to read something so opinionated! (Though I have to imagine the state of Scotch whisky in 1948 must have SUCKED, as he claimed to have not been wild about it)

I love his book and his attitude.  He doesn't pull any punches, but manages keep a bit of a sense of humor about it all.  Even when I don't agree with his opinions, he makes me laugh.  I love when he does the "Well this drinks sucks, but if you really must try it, here's the recipe."  I didn't get the impression that he didn't like Scotch so much as he didn't think it should be used in cocktails.

• Hassouni and Rafa like this
Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#262 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:29 AM

The Gaz Regan's annual manual / best new cocktails series has been a decent snapshot of cocktail developments over the past 3 years.

Edit: the "best new cocktails" releases for 2012-13 and the inaugural 2011 annual manual, specifically; the subsequent annual manuals are great, but more focused on the craft of bartending than recipes.

Where does one acquire this series?

I love his book and his attitude.  He doesn't pull any punches, but manages keep a bit of a sense of humor about it all.  Even when I don't agree with his opinions, he makes me laugh.  I love when he does the "Well this drinks sucks, but if you really must try it, here's the recipe."  I didn't get the impression that he didn't like Scotch so much as he didn't think it should be used in cocktails.

Agreed, I'm about halfway through now - great stuff. I don't have a huge desire to try a lot of the cocktails listed, but his theory is on point, and of course, as you say, his humor and attitude really makes it. Re: Scotch, though, if Ralfy is to be believed, the calibre for Scotch has improved, as in the past, the stills were often operated by workers who had snuck their own angel's share.

PS. I discovered today that....

Death and Company is releasing a book in October!!!!!!!

Having finally got into the place last Sunday (and surpassing all the hype I'd heard), this is probably the most exciting new book I can think of. (Of course, browsing their rather detailed menu online, part of their secrets is having really weird shit behind the bar. Poppy-seed syrup? OK...)

Also, does anyone know anything about Morgenthaler's book coming out? It claims to be much more about techniques and theory rather than recipes, which really sounds up my alley.

Edited by Hassouni, 22 May 2014 - 11:35 AM.

• Rafa likes this

#263 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 622 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

Where does one acquire this series?

Bookstores near you, though a lot of it ends up on his site.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#264 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 622 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Morgenthaler's book, titled, with proper definitiveness, The Bar Book, is available tomorrow

• teonzo likes this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#265 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

Yes indeed, pre-ordered. 

#266 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 438 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

I've got one on the way too.

I'll order Death & Co at some point in the future too.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#267 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 622 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

Morgenthaler's book, titled, with proper definitiveness, The Bar Book, is available tomorrow

I'm appreciating this book so far. A lot of it will seem basic to people here (choose citrus for freshness!), but just as much is too often overlooked, and it's good to have all this information on technique in one place.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#268 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

Come on Amazon Prime....

#269 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

Come on Amazon Prime....

I'm assuming, then, that the book isn't published by Hachette.

• Rafa likes this
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#270 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

Indeed. It's due to arrive tomorrow.