Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Portland ME Restaurants

• Please log in to reply
518 replies to this topic

#511 johnnyd

johnnyd
  • participating member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

Masa Mayake has moved his tiny sushi bar into a more elegant space at 468 Fore Street. This is not your average sushi bar so go if you are in town.

Still, however he achieves it, there’s no question that Masa’s genius in the kitchen — and his multi-layered approach to Japanese cuisine — is remarkable and highly regarded by a large local following.

A worldly tour of flavors, the meal started off with an amuse of quail eggs, braised daikon and arugula, a thoroughly elegant and exquisite beginning. Lobster sashimi followed, which was a stunningly crafted dish complemented with salmon toro and hamachi.

Full review on Downeast.com 8-3-11

Reservations are recommended.
"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II
Portland Food Map.com

#512 johnnyd

johnnyd
  • participating member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:38 AM

Considering all the culinary action in town, it may seem unfair to mention Masa Miyake's new place again, but a revelatory article in today's local paper describes Masa's new farm in Freeport where he is raising fowl, pigs and japanese vegetables for his two restaurants.

He has employed Chad Conley - formerly of Hugo's - to manage the farm:

Reaching down, Conley plucks a couple of thin, serrated leaves from an herb he's growing called shungiku. It's an edible chrysanthemum, and the piquant flavor is pleasant yet unlike anything else Mainers have likely seen on a dinner plate.

"Farm To Table - The Miyake Way" Portland Press Herald
"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

#513 johnnyd

johnnyd
  • participating member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

Celebrated Chef Rob Evans has sold Hugos, his astoundingly creative restaurant, to members of his talented staff. They are also revamping the adjacent space, recently vacated by culinary-themed Rabalais Books, into the Eventide Oyster Bar.

Though I’ve heard rumblings on the street about “big changes” at Hugo’s, I know that this is far from the truth. The same professional, knowledgeable staff and chef-driven dining experience remains firmly in place. The best test, as always, is to see for yourself.

Story here:

http://www.themainem...not-philosophy/

Portland Food Map.com

#514 johnnyd

johnnyd
  • participating member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:51 AM

Celebrated Chef Rob Evans has sold Hugos, his astoundingly creative restaurant, to members of his talented staff. They are also revamping the adjacent space, recently vacated by culinary-themed Rabalais Books, into the Eventide Oyster Bar.

Though I’ve heard rumblings on the street about “big changes” at Hugo’s, I know that this is far from the truth. The same professional, knowledgeable staff and chef-driven dining experience remains firmly in place. The best test, as always, is to see for yourself.

Story here:

http://www.themainem...not-philosophy/

Eventide Oyster Bar had a soft opening Monday. Former tenants Rabalais Books (a strictly culinary themed bookstore) were invited and took some great photos:

http://www.rabelaisb...om/blog/?cat=15

I will have to check it out and report back!

Portland Food Map.com

#515 fchrisgrimm

fchrisgrimm
  • participating member
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

We have an upcoming trip with tentative reservations at Fore Street, Hugo's, and Bresca.

No way am I changing Fore Street - too much sentimental attachment! But with the change at Hugo's (hearing anything re Rob's plans?), should I try for Miyake instead? (Was considering it for lunch.)

Also, is Grace worth it? It's beautiful looking (maybe a place for a pre-dinner drink?) but how's the food hold up?

Bresca sounds worth it, if we haven't been?

Anything else new and can't miss?

Edited by fchrisgrimm, 12 July 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#516 johnnyd

johnnyd
  • participating member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

We have an upcoming trip with tentative reservations at Fore Street, Hugo's, and Bresca.

No way am I changing Fore Street - too much sentimental attachment! But with the change at Hugo's (hearing anything re Rob's plans?), should I try for Miyake instead? (Was considering it for lunch.)

Also, is Grace worth it? It's beautiful looking (maybe a place for a pre-dinner drink?) but how's the food hold up?

Bresca sounds worth it, if we haven't been?

Anything else new and can't miss?

Bresca is certainly worth it - an experience. But so is Miyake - almost unreal. Please try to fit them in. Perhaps a generous sampling of his inventive appetizers before hitting the Fore Street reservation?

Rob's ghost is secure - his best guys bought the place and started Eventide oyster bar next door (see above) too. I wasn't impressed with the lobster role in a steamed bun, but there are other creative things to try.

Have a great time !!

Portland Food Map.com

#517 UnConundrum

UnConundrum
  • participating member
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

Just rolled in to Portland for a few days before the Kneading conference in Skowhegan. Not our first visit, so we have our lit of must go and maybe repeat restaurants, but this trip my wife wants a really good lobster dinner. Any suggestions for the best lobster?

#518 fchrisgrimm

fchrisgrimm
  • participating member
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Thanks, Johnny! We love our trips to Portland, even if they are less frequent than in days gone by. (And I always appreciate your input.)

If I had to guess, I would say our first trip to Portland was around 1997. And I would guess that our first Portland destination restaurants were Back Bay Grill, Fore Street, and Street & Co. Many things have changed in fifteen years (and I would guess this will be around our twelvth trip up), but I am always pleased that those three are around - though it has been many years since we've been to BBG.

We 100% look forward to Bresca and Fore Street. I'll let Leslie choose the third dinner. We have the Hugo's rez but may switch, since we have already been - maybe to Bar Lola. We'll definitely hit Miyake for a lunch (and Duckfat, of course). And drinks at Grace.

@UnConundrum - maybe the lobster diavolo for two at Street & Co.

#519 johnnyd

johnnyd
  • participating member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

Zagat has published a list of their top 10 Portland restaurants:

http://www.zagat.com...rtland-maine#10

Portland Food Map.com