Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Cold Brewing of Coffee

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 kayb

kayb
  • participating member
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:17 AM

Kitchen toys are fine things -- I have several of them. But for them to be worthwhile to me, they have to (a) do something I can't otherwise do, like the Anova, or do something I CAN do, but do it much faster/easier/better/more efficiently (like the stand mixer or the food processor).

I don't see the cold brew system being any easier or more efficient than my Chinese carryout soup containers. And when they get stained, it's no big deal, as they've become single-purpose containers, and when they get too disgusting-looking, I chunk them and grab two more. (We order a lot of Chinese, and the local Thai and Indian places use the same containers.)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

#62 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 7,003 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:06 PM

As a matter of fact, I remember a topic about coffee and salt. I find that a little fish sauce in my joe makes me good to go!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?