Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Punch Topic

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#241 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Roman Punch from the Bartender's Choice app. Jamaican rum, cognac, maraschino liqueur, lemon (I used 1/2 regular lemon and 1/2 Meyer lemon) and orange juice (I used gold nugget tangerines). Powerful stuff...

8861207172_011dc90bc0_z.jpg

• Hassouni likes this

#242 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Roman Punch from the Bartender's Choice app. Jamaican rum, cognac, maraschino liqueur, lemon (I used 1/2 regular lemon and 1/2 Meyer lemon) and orange juice (I used gold nugget tangerines). Powerful stuff...

8861207172_011dc90bc0_z.jpg

FrogPrincesse I'm ever in your debt for leading me to the gems of the BC App. I made this tonight (killing my Landy VS and Traveller's Belize rum), at 50% increased volume. I'm about half way through it and:

1. Excellent drink. Like spiked juice but much classier and more refined

2. STRONG. Let's see what I'm like by the bottom of the glass!

#243 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:41 AM

FrogPrincesse I'm ever in your debt for leading me to the gems of the BC App. I made this tonight (killing my Landy VS and Traveller's Belize rum), at 50% increased volume. I'm about half way through it and:

1. Excellent drink. Like spiked juice but much classier and more refined
2. STRONG. Let's see what I'm like by the bottom of the glass!

Glad you liked it. Cheers!

#244 Goatjunky

Goatjunky
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

I have been asked to make a punchbowl for a 50th wedding anniversary. She is cooking nostalgic food and wants a punchbowl. I can not even remember the last time i even drank punch. I have a ton of older cookbooks with punch recipes, but i dont want to experiment with them all that much because i have no use for a ton of punch. Anyone have suggestions? So out of my usual

#245 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

We are here to help! 

There are many, many options to consider, but the vast majority are straightforward, fun, and extremely tasty. No Hi-C and Everclear here. 

Give us a few basics: 

-- how many folks? 

-- what time of day? 

-- any spirits to completely avoid? 

-- you want something easy-peasy or more involved? 

The book on punch is, accordingly, David Wondrich's Punch, which you could check out if you really want to get geeky. But start with the basics up there. 

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#246 Goatjunky

Goatjunky
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

Very big family and a LOT of work friends. Age groups differ, but most over 50. I dont really have an expectation yet for the group size

Its an open house event, not sit down. I have two nice bowls and there will be a bar. It starts at 7 pm

No limitations given.

And because i love this couple, and am given limited range in the kitchen for this.. i want to wow

#247 Goatjunky

Goatjunky
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

I should also add... this is a group of 5 o clock cocktailers

#248 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

I am a very big fan of Regent's Punch, as are many here. Below is David Wondrich's eloquent recipe from elsewhere in eG Forums

Regent's Punch

(This is my recipe for George IV's favorite tipple, triangulated from two different recipes of the period.)

Using a vegetable peeler, peel two lemons, two small oranges and, if possible, one Seville orange (these are difficult to find and their season is extremely short; try www.citrusranch.com), avoiding as much as possible of the white pith.

Juice the lemons and the oranges, straining out the pulp.

In a large, sturdy bowl, muddle the peels with four ounces Demerara sugar until the sugar becomes impregnated with the citrus oils.

Make a pint of green tea (using two tea-bags or two teaspoons of loose tea). While this is still hot, pour it into the bowl with the peels, first removing the tea bags or straining out the loose tea.

Add the citrus juices, along with eight ounces VSOP cognac, two ounces dark, heavy rum (I like Inner Circle, Coruba or Gosling’s), and two ounces Batavia arrack.

Then add two ounces of pineapple syrup, which you have cleverly prepared the day before by cubing a ripe pineapple and soaking it overnight in a simple syrup which you made by bringing two parts Demerara or turbinado sugar and one part water to a simmer, stirring constantly, and letting it cool (use just enough to cover the pineapple and strain it through a fine sieve when you’re done; it’ll keep for a few days in the refrigerator).

Now add a large block of ice; you can order these from your local ice company, or make it yourself.

Finally, after everything has sat for long enough to catch a chill, gently stir in one bottle of brut champagne or, if you’re feeling flush, two. Your punch is completed. It should serve about eight people.

I have found that it serves a dozen easily, and more if you go for two bottles of champagne. It's a knockout -- in every sense of the word. 

Edited by Chris Amirault, 04 November 2013 - 10:05 AM.

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#249 Goatjunky

Goatjunky
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

Oh Chris.. you totally made me laugh with this post. Begoggled. But of course i immediately began researching demara sugar. And resolve to make this. I love that he says cleverly.

Edited for my mangling of demerama

Edited by Goatjunky, 04 November 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#250 Goatjunky

Goatjunky
  • participating member
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

How big is a block of ice?

#251 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

A block is a solid chunk of ice that can sit in your punch bowl without making the punch spill out. So you'll need to do a little measuring with water and a half gallon or gallon bottle that you can submerge while all are in the sink. 

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#252 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

My favorite punch for these types of events is the Fish House Punch, which is also described in the Punch thread. The base is dark rum + cognac. It's delicious, can be made in advance, and leftovers keep very well.

#253 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

I am in the Orange Punch crowd that Mr Wondrich writes so eloquently about. (although sometimes I use clementines)

#254 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

So, if there was ever any doubt, by his own admission Jeff Morgenthaler is just a lazy bastard and he has illustrated his oleo-saccharum vacuum technique in a new video for Small Screen Network.

Some people painstakingly muddle their lemon peel and sugar bny hand; lately I’ve been processing mine in a stand mixer.

I like his approach. I don’t have a vacuum sealer but was going to throw everything in a ziplock bag for my annual Fish House Punch, and see what happens.

#255 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

I'm going to be making a Regent's Punch (the original Wondrich recipe) in a few days, and this oleosaccharum thing has me intrigued (I've seen it on JM's blog for a while). I have neither stand mixer nor vacuum sealer.  I wonder if the ziplock really will do the trick...

Also, Wondrich's recipe calls for:

16 oz tea

8 oz cognac

2 oz rum

2 oz arrack

2 oz pineapple syrup

the juice of a few citrus fruits, say another 8-10 oz.

a bottle of champagne (25 or so oz) "or two if you're feeling flush," as he said.

With one bottle of Champagne this works out to ~64 oz, but he said it serves about 8. Isn't a standard serving of punch 5 oz?

Also, how good of a sub is WN overproof for the Batavia arrack? Cos that ain't easy to find...

#256 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

I've tried The Morgenthaler Method™ with a standard ziplock bag and it works just fine.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#257 Plantes Vertes

Plantes Vertes
  • participating member
  • 894 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

I'm going to be making a Regent's Punch (the original Wondrich recipe) in a few days, and this oleosaccharum thing has me intrigued (I've seen it on JM's blog for a while). I have neither stand mixer nor vacuum sealer.  I wonder if the ziplock really will do the trick...

Also, Wondrich's recipe calls for:

16 oz tea

8 oz cognac

2 oz rum

2 oz arrack

2 oz pineapple syrup

the juice of a few citrus fruits, say another 8-10 oz.

a bottle of champagne (25 or so oz) "or two if you're feeling flush," as he said.

With one bottle of Champagne this works out to ~64 oz, but he said it serves about 8. Isn't a standard serving of punch 5 oz?

Also, how good of a sub is WN overproof for the Batavia arrack? Cos that ain't easy to find...

Do you know anybody who drinks only one glass of punch? If you do, don't trust them.

• Rafa likes this

#258 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Well it's not the only thing I'll be serving...

#259 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

I've tried The Morgenthaler Method with a standard ziplock bag and it works just fine.

Here we go then. We will see what it looks like tomorrow.

11039717334_0600471747_z.jpg

T=0

11039769143_a03d8b667f_z.jpg

#260 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

with baited breath we wait!

#261 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

T=5 hours

11043736823_77c6e76f15_z.jpg

It looks like it is working, slowly but surely.
  • Rafa likes this

#262 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

Morning update - looking good. The bag smells fantastic. I will mix the punch tonight.

11051838253_96db59051b_z.jpg

#263 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

I just did the same for a Regent's punch, and can confirm that a vacuum seal is entirely unnecessary! Thanks for taking the photographic evidence plunge, Princesse!

Edited to add....how the hell does one get every last drop of the stuff out of the bag?

Edited by Hassouni, 26 November 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#264 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,628 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

A vacuum seal does seem to speed things along. And I always rinse the interior out with the booze mixed for the punch itself. If there's a bit extra, well, I guess I'm having a special Old Fashioned. 

• Rafa likes this
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#265 sbumgarner

sbumgarner
  • participating member
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

I'll have to the give this ziplock bag technique a try. Sam's suggestion up-thread to use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment is my current go-to when I want to spare myself the tendonitis, but I see the merits of this too, especially for doing thing ahead of time.

#266 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

I just did the same for a Regent's punch, and can confirm that a vacuum seal is entirely unnecessary! Thanks for taking the photographic evidence plunge, Princesse!

Edited to add....how the hell does one get every last drop of the stuff out of the bag?

You are welcome. To get everything out I added the lemon juice to the bag, and transferred the contents into the mixing bowl.

#267 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

Ah, so simple and yet it eluded me! Thanks Chris and FP!

#268 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

Here is the Fish House Punch, which I have decided to store undiluted to take up less space in the fridge. I will dilute it 1:1 with water before serving it tomorrow.

11093668294_3bcf908ea0_z.jpg
  • Hassouni likes this

#269 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

Oh man. Hosted another pop-up cocktail bar last night, and the Regent's Punch was one of four drinks served.  

I followed the classic Wondrich recipe, with some substitutions:

Hennessey VS and the remainders of a bottle of Kyrgyzstani "cognac" for that element

WN overproof and Dillon rhum blanc agricole for the Batavia Arrack

Red navel oranges instead of regular oranges, and a slightly tart, large satsuma for the bitter orange.

2 bottle of Crémant de Bourgogne brut for the champagne

What a corker of a drink. Somewhat of a pain, but so worth it for the wild praise it received.

#270 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

Re: oleosaccharum - might it work with pomegranate seeds as opposed to citrus peel?