Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Ice Cream Machines

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#241 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

For best results I pull my Cuisinart 100 at 15 minutes.  I've stopped measuring but pretty sure the churned base is not as cold as -5 deg C.  Does not seem to matter.  At 15 minutes in the Cuisinart I get good results.  Less so if I spin longer.

#242 ChefPip

ChefPip
  • participating member
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

I have an old 4qt antique White Mountain electric with wooden tub that I take very good care of.  I've had an electric motor shop to PM the motor so it will be dependable as well.   I use 1 cup of rock salt to 6 or 7 lbs of crushed ice.  When it begins to set up I remove the wooden & metal dashers and ripen the batch for about 1/2 hour and pack it in containers for the freezer. 

Depending on the ambient temperature,  I'll make some adjustments as I use heavy cream in my basic vanilla recipe.  If anyone is

famaliar with an Ice Cream Company called Blue Bunny,  I'm told my recipe taste like the home made vanilla that they sell.

As I create a bunch of cobblers, pies, cakes, and baked goods this vanilla is my go to. and I try to keep it on hand.

Nearly everyhing I serve in my Cafe/Bistro is made from scratch so it isn't comparable to any 2014 industrial production.  I'm looking for Farm to Table authinticity to use with my collection of 70 year old recipes... 

• Smithy likes this