Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Opened and Closed

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 LarryG

LarryG
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:16 PM

I wonder if anyone has tried and has an opinion on Super Pho, 3538 Waialae Ave, Honolulu. We were taken there by a friend orginally from Vietnam, and she thought it was really good, maybe "the best". Nanette and I enjoyed Bắc Nam, but we can't really compare the two. It's pretty new, although not "just opened".

#32 Kiem Hwa

Kiem Hwa
  • participating member
  • 389 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 01:28 AM

I miss Suehiro's... This was my favorite restaurant. Ive found some good replacements with Kunio's in Waikele, and Ideta on Dillingham, but noone has the Tofu-butterfish dish that I always ordered at Suehiros. :sad:

Does anyone know the story behind why Suehiro's closed and whether the owners/chefs are in any new places?

Or where I can find a dish resembling the nitsuke butterfish-over tofu dish Suehiros used to serve?

#33 skchai

skchai
  • participating member
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 02:01 AM

Seemed like the Yamada restaurant group that had been owners for the past few decades just lost interest, and the Gyotaku people were looking for a new property for expansion after they had cut ties with the ill-fated Kyotaru Restaurant Group. Seems to me Gyotaku has really picked up much of the same clientele that Suehiro used to have, though the menu is less "local Japanese" than Suehiro.

I remember going there and eating tonkatsu when I was six or seven years old. . .

Butterfish nitsuke over tofu - there's got to be other places that serve it, even after the Wisteria closed down. Or it may be a long shot - you can ask someplace that serves butterfish nitsuke if they would prepare it tofu style for you. . . can't be that much of a stretch. . .

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

#34 skchai

skchai
  • participating member
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:47 AM

Speaking of places that closed, we were in Kaimuki the other day and after a lot of wandering around decided to head over to Sis Kitchen. Only to find it closed - on a Friday night. Asked the lady over at the Kahuku Papaya place next to it and she said they had gone out of business. Checked their website and it's no longer occupied.

How can? They had great reviews and were just named on the Advertiser's Hawai`i's Best Restaurants list. Sorry to say we didn't go that often ourselves but it seemed they were doing decent business.

Anyone with any insight? So sad. . .

Sun-Ki Chai

Former Hawaii Forum Host

#35 glossyp

glossyp
  • participating member
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 10:40 AM

Speaking of places that closed, we were in Kaimuki the other day and after a lot of wandering around decided to head over to Sis Kitchen.  Only to find it closed - on a Friday night.  Asked the lady over at the Kahuku Papaya place next to it and she said they had gone out of business.

So sad. . .

View Post

That is a shocker, SK. I was in there not even a month or so ago and there was no hint something was up. Business seemed good so maybe it was a personal family thing. I'm going to miss that place - it was one of my two favs in Kaimuki.
"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

#36 oneidaone

oneidaone
  • participating member
  • 453 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:15 PM

Wow, I always heard this was a good place (Sis Kitchen) and often thought of going, that would
of course mean 2 things. I'd have to leave my house and also drive all the way to town........
"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"
Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

#37 PakePorkChop

PakePorkChop
  • participating member
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:54 AM

Thanks wesza. . . . the Ala Moana Flamingo Chuckwagon and the Pearl City Tavern were both landmark places whose niche hasn't been filled (at least not by any locally-owned restaurants). 

BTW, we were finally able to check out Mary Jane's Kitchen (aka Gohyangjip), based on kaukaulesa's fine review in last week's Honolulu Weekly.  It was just as good as you mentioned - really unique among Korean restaurants here in its honest appreciation of regional specialties.  Unlike other places, that generally focus on standardized Seoul-centered menu, Mary Jane's carries a lot of dishes from the Southwestern (Jeolla-do) region of Korea, that you can't get elsewhere.

Posted Image

Here's a sample of what we ate.  Thanks, again kaukaulesa, for the great tip.

View Post

Well, SK, this restaurant was included in the right column. I had lunch there yesterday (panchan came out just like your picture) and heard about the planned sale of the business. Those of you who want to eat interesting Korean food need to get down there before Mom Shin moves on.

#38 skchai

skchai
  • participating member
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:35 AM

I had heard that as well. It seems that she is going to go back to Korea to travel around and study the regional cuisines before moving on and deciding what she will do next. The restaurant will definitely be missed, in part because it covered two areas of Korean cuisine - Southwestern and health food that are pretty unique here. And also because she was a great cook. Here's hoping that once she's done with her travels she comes back here again!

Sun-Ki Chai

Former Hawaii Forum Host

#39 kaukaulesa

kaukaulesa
  • participating member
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:58 PM

Wow, I'm really sad to hear that!

Do you guys remember last year the Willows trying to change its image with a tasting-plates spot in its Rainbow Room? Well, chef Jay Matsukawa, after a stint at the Plaza Club, is back with a new rerstaurant in the Rainbor Room. Now it will be called J at the Willows. He'll be doing a French-Japanese fusion (shades of Hiroshi Fukui?). Opening July 29.

Just noticed a Philly cheesesteak place on Bishop Street. It's been there for three months. Ono Cheese Steak. A 7-inch philly classic is $4. They do a Hawaiian style version with kalua pork.

Also, Spices on King Street is worth trying for the Laotian curry and Burmese khao soi. Andchef Pony's housemade ice cream is really different for this town. Lemongrass-and-chili ice cream rocks. Spicy cold stuff!

I just got an e-mail from Jay Matsukawa. Here's the initial menu of J:

Dinner Menu
Tuesday thru Saturday
5:30pm-9pm

Appetizers

Fresh Japan Hamachi Carpaccio
Thinly sliced Island Hamachi in a citrus and Hawaiian chili pepper sauce.  Garnished with fresh garlic slices, Black sesame seeds, and roasted garlic and Shiso oil
Oxtail “Pot Au Feu”
Slow cooked oxtail served with a flavorful coriander infused broth.  Accompanied by Waimanalo micro greens
Blue Crab and Lobster Cake
A blue crab and Lobster cake sautéed and served with a Tarragon vinaigrette and Waimanalo micro greens
Chilled Portobella Mushroom and Roasted peppers
Thinly sliced Portobella mushrooms, roasted red peppers, and mozzarella cheese marinated with  an Anchovy and Citrus herb vinaigrette
Potato and Cheese Croquette with Warm Spicy Scallops
Deep fried potato cheese croquettes topped with a scallop and tobiko caviar mixture.  Served warm with an Asian style plum sauce

#40 reid

reid
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:47 PM

Downtown (lunchtime) Japanese curry spot, Mr. Frypan, closed recently. In today's paper, I read that the last Yum Yum Tree restaurant is closing as well.

#41 reid

reid
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:05 PM

Well Bento closed a couple weeks back as did another downtown lunch spot, Grillas. Sad times... :sad:

#42 skchai

skchai
  • participating member
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:21 AM

So sad, but;s that nature of the restaurant business. The vegan bentos offered Well bento filled a unique niche in the city's restaurant offerings - they will be missed.

Sun-Ki Chai

Former Hawaii Forum Host

#43 Gary Tanigawa

Gary Tanigawa
  • participating member
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:30 PM

I was sad to read that Leong's is closing. The owner blamed the lack of parking in the area.

#44 PakePorkChop

PakePorkChop
  • participating member
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:16 AM

Another Northern Chinese restaurant bites the dust!

King Tsin, on its comeback try, could not succeed where Yuen's Garden and Golden Crown had failed before. The Beretenia location will now house a Mexican restaurant.

However, a branch of the popular Hong Kong noodle house, Mini Garden, has opened close by and has received very good reviews.

The Moiliili area remains a very competitive market, with Golden Dynasty, Kirin, Maple Garden, Mini Garden, Golden Eagle, On On, McCully Chop Suey, and perhaps Fook Yuen vying for supremacy in what is characterized as "Japanese" neighborhood.

#45 oneidaone

oneidaone
  • participating member
  • 453 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:26 PM

I am sad about King Tsin :sad:

We have followed the Wang's from the Beretania location, to McCully and Young and then were
so glad he reopened further down Young St. I really enjoyed his food and some of my happiest
memories from when we first moved to HI 20 years ago took place at King Tsin on Beretania.
Much aloha to them and maybe they can reopen somewhere else!! a hui hou........ :sad:
"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"
Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

#46 kaukaulesa

kaukaulesa
  • participating member
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:32 PM

Well Bento reopened in same spot, with same menu, with new owners, who were fans.

#47 mvpbonds

mvpbonds
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:23 PM

Speaking of places that closed, we were in Kaimuki the other day and after a lot of wandering around decided to head over to Sis Kitchen.  Only to find it closed - on a Friday night.  Asked the lady over at the Kahuku Papaya place next to it and she said they had gone out of business.  Checked their website and it's no longer occupied.

How can?  They had great reviews and were just named on the Advertiser's Hawai`i's Best Restaurants list.  Sorry to say we didn't go that often ourselves but it seemed they were doing decent business. 

Anyone with any insight?  So sad. . .

View Post

Sorry to resurrect this old thread. I miss Sis Kitchen. This was a really great restaurant. Does anyone know if any of the cooks (sisters) here have resurfaced at other restaurants?

#48 mvpbonds

mvpbonds
  • participating member
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:25 PM

Columbia Inn still has its Kaimuki location operating, though under new ownership (not the Kaneshiro family).

My ears are burning. If any readers have stories about the old Columbia Inn (Kapiolani), I'd love to hear them. I'm Tosh Kaneshiro's granddaughter, but a katonk who was still pretty young when the place turned over to Kyotaru.

Of course my family tells me some stories, but I am always on the lookout for more!

View Post

No stories here but I really liked the oxtail ramen at Columbia Inn.

#49 Gary Tanigawa

Gary Tanigawa
  • participating member
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:42 AM

McCully Chop Sui
Kyo-ya

#50 kaukaulesa

kaukaulesa
  • participating member
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:30 AM

McCully Chop Sui
Kyo-ya

View Post

McCully Chop Suey closed?!

#51 Gary Tanigawa

Gary Tanigawa
  • participating member
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

I haven't gone there, but I read of another family-owned plate lunch place closing February 28, 2007 after more than 30 years in business: Masu's Massive Plate Lunch. Stories in the Advertiser and Star-Bulletin.

#52 SuzySushi

SuzySushi
  • participating member
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:37 PM

And, as Mochihead and I discussed in my eGullet Foodblog (A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs) last week, 99 Ranch Market will also be closing by the end of February. It's a franchise, and I guess wasn't making enough profit.
SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."
My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

#53 Lopaka

Lopaka
  • participating member
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

And, as Mochihead and I discussed in my eGullet Foodblog (A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs) last week, 99 Ranch Market will also be closing by the end of February. It's a franchise, and I guess wasn't making enough profit.

View Post

Whatever happened to the Evergreen? My parents used to take me there back in the 50's. I think that it was on Kapiolani, but am not sure.

#54 Lopaka

Lopaka
  • participating member
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:02 PM

The Chuckwagon was my favorite restaurant in my teen years. Could go through 3 or 4 big plateloads without trying. The mac salad was quite good, not sweet like they make it these days. In the late 50s the tab was about $5 (36.00 in 2008 dollars).
Top's was another fav. For years my signature lunch was a grilled burger and a chocolate shake.

#55 Gary Tanigawa

Gary Tanigawa
  • participating member
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

Star Advertiser reports that Futaba, opened in 1975, will be closing.

Edited by Gary Tanigawa, 15 January 2014 - 04:12 PM.