Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Potato Chips!

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#31 Dignan

Dignan
  • participating member
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 02:02 PM

Bob's Texas Style Habanero Chips.

The heat fluctuates from bag to bag, but sometimes just one or two will make the top of my head sweat. I love 'em. Not sure where they are available -- I first had them when I moved to Houston.

#32 LEdlund

LEdlund
  • participating member
  • 870 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 02:10 PM

[color=purple]I used to get a brand years ago, but I can't remember its name. It was in a red and white striped bag. It may have had the state of Texas on it.
The only flavor I got was the Jalepeno, :wub: and MAN were they perfect. Thicker than normal, spicy, salty, I can still taste them.

I doubt these are the same chips, but in the Pacific Northwest we have Tim's Cascade chips that come in a red and white striped bag. No state of Texas on it though. I like their jalapeno but I love their sea salt and vinegar.

As I looked for a link for them, I see that they are now owned by Birds Eye. Hmmm, I wonder if anything will change.

Tims Cascade Chips
Practice Random Acts of Toasting

#33 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • participating member
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 02:26 PM

Tim's are good, especially if you like the thicker potato chips. My wife isn't a big fan because she doesn't like thing that are too thick and crunchy. She prefers a very light chip. Tim's are good stuff, though.

I'm going to commit heresy, though, and say that two of my favorite chips are the most processed, unnatural chips out there: Pringles and Doritos. As long as you keep eating them, they're quite tasty. Each does leave a little bit of an aftertaste, though. A lot of salt, a lot of MSG, not too greasy, very light and crisp with a surprising range of flavorings in each Doritos flavor. The Cheetoh is another addictive chip. I probably like the classic Nacho Cheese Dorito and plain Pringle the best.

I guess it depends on what you want out of your chip. I don't eat chips that often, but when I do, I want something that attacks my taste buds and is addictively crunchy.

#34 Dignan

Dignan
  • participating member
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 02:35 PM

Nessa, Zapp's I think are also sold in a stripey bag. Bob's Texas Style Chips do have, by some coincidence, a map of Texas, or use to anyway. They have somewhat muted stripes on the bag. Both companies make a jalapeno flavor.

Poore Brothers

#35 PamelaF

PamelaF
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 348 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 03:37 PM

Trader Joe's Hawaiian Style. These are thick chips, made from unpeeled potatoes and cooked in expeller pressed oil (same as cold pressed, right?)

I am having some right now. Yum.
Pamela Fanstill aka "PamelaF"

#36 Cleo

Cleo
  • participating member
  • 295 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 03:45 PM

I went to college in Tucson, where Saguaro Chips are made. God how we all loved these chips! I’m going back to Tucson for a visit in March (my first visit since I graduated in 1990), and it will be interesting to see if the chips were (and still are) really all that good, or if this post belongs on the “marijuana food” thread!

#37 pete ganz

pete ganz
  • participating member
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 05:41 PM

If anyone's interested, I can get wholesale pricing on cases of Charles Chips (including the 1 lb. tins), Terra chips, and Tom Sturgis pretzels. My dad works for a company that has the North American distributor rights for these products. They can ship direct to your home via UPS from New Jersey. I'm not making any money from this...just thought I'd throw this out there for eGullet members who might want these products. Please PM me if you're interested. :smile:

Edited by pete ganz, 05 February 2004 - 05:42 PM.

#38 agnolottigirl

agnolottigirl
  • participating member
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 06:16 PM

I second LEdlund on Tim's salt and vinegar chips here in the PNW. . . I kinda have to be in the right mood, but when I am, nothing else will do!
agnolottigirl
~~~~~~~~~~~
"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

#39 Louisa Chu

Louisa Chu
  • participating member
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 06:53 PM

I once made the mistake of ordering a case of Jalapeno Krunchers - big mistake.

Here in Paris I sometimes indulge in two flavours - mustard or herbes de Provence. Good, but no Jalapeno Krunchers.

#40 Mudpuppie

Mudpuppie
  • participating member
  • 800 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 06:58 PM

On one of Michael Chiarello's recent shows, he heated packaged chips in the oven just to warm them up. (Store-bought, that is; not chips in the package.) Anyway, after they came out he tossed them in fresh herbs.

Sounded like a neat idea.
amanda
Googlista

#41 BrennaMorgan

BrennaMorgan
  • legacy participant
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 09:59 PM

I can't stand potato chips. I just taste grease and salt for some reason.

#42 tommy

tommy
  • participating member
  • 15,396 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 10:01 PM

On one of Michael Chiarello's recent shows, he heated packaged chips in the oven just to warm them up. (Store-bought, that is; not chips in the package.) Anyway, after they came out he tossed them in fresh herbs.

Sounded like a neat idea.

i've been outed. i got my above idea from his book. it works.

#43 hillvalley

hillvalley
  • participating member
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 10:04 PM

Utz Salt and Vinegar and Crab
True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.
It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,
but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

#44 adobohead

adobohead
  • participating member
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 01:05 AM

Boulder Chips, made in Boulder, but actually available in most Wild Oats stores, including the one at Fairfax and Santa Monica here in LA.

Flavors: Thai, Sea Salt and Malt Vinegar, Sweet Onion.
"He who distinguishes the true savour of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise."
Thoreau

#45 nessa

nessa
  • participating member
  • 631 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 07:08 AM

Nessa, Zapp's I think are also sold in a stripey bag. Bob's Texas Style Chips do have, by some coincidence, a map of Texas, or use to anyway. They have somewhat muted stripes on the bag. Both companies make a jalapeno flavor.

Poore Brothers

I know they aren't Zapps, but I think you hit the nail on the head with Bob's. Gotta find me some. No wait, that would he a disaster waiting to happen to my hips. Scratch that idea!
Thanks though :wub:

#46 jilli42

jilli42
  • participating member
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 07:31 AM

I also like Blairs Death Rain Cajun flavor chips. They are really good, but HOT.
Today is going to be one of those days.....

#47 Eric_Malson

Eric_Malson
  • participating member
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 07:36 AM

I'm a big fan of Cape Cod--not so much the flavored ones, just regular (WITH salt, thank you very much!).

Almost amazingly, my real favorites are from Dayton, Ohio (I'm from there, and god knows it's a wasteland in almost every other respect)--a brand called Mike-sells. Their Old Fashioned kettle-style chips are absolutely fantastic.

Their website claims they are the oldest potato chip company in the U.S.
My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

#48 docsconz

docsconz
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 07:45 AM

Cape Cod Dark Russet's and Terra's Blue and White kettle chips are my favorites. David Rosengarten recently did a chip tasting. He particularly liked a particular chip of the month club, the name of which escapes me at the moment.
John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."
- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

#49 Chris Cognac

Chris Cognac
  • participating member
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 08:45 AM

This thread made me wonder...is anyone a member of the chip of the month club?
Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!
The Hungry Detective

#50 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 09:29 AM

Snyder's of Hanover's Steak and Onion Potato Chips :wub:
Unfortunately, I don't think they make that flavor anymore. They get you addicted to the chips and then they stop. Making. Them.
The bastards.:angry:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#51 Okbrewer

Okbrewer
  • participating member
  • 323 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 10:18 PM

Went looking for, and found, Arts & Mary's chips. Available at my local Homeland store, who knew!? Bought a bag, took them home to have with pulled pork sammiches. After one taste, my 13 year old daughter proclaimed them the new house favorites! She ate almost the whole bag! She told me today to be sure and buy those 'new' chips from now on. Thanks for the tip! :smile:
Bob R in OKC
Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

#52 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 10:59 PM

Limon - Salt & Lime.

These are so good, and so habit-forming, that when I am in a locale where they are not available, I sit down with limes and squeeze the juice onto my chips.

Edited by Jaymes, 06 February 2004 - 11:01 PM.

"And you, you're just a stinker."

#53 tigerwoman

tigerwoman
  • participating member
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 12:42 AM

I once made the mistake of ordering a case of Jalapeno Krunchers - big mistake.

Here in Paris I sometimes indulge in two flavours - mustard or herbes de Provence. Good, but no Jalapeno Krunchers.

cann't remember any specific brands, but when we visited our niece who lives in a small village in southern france she turned us on to French supermarket potoato chips - nice and thin, crisp and salty. I remember the fancy artisan bags or slightly more expensive ones were marked something like antique - not that spelling tho - I think it was supposed to indicate old fashioned and hand cooked - like kettle chips - anyway, as with many other products - like the delicious blood orange juice we would get in the monoprix supermarkets - really quenched our thirst and economically at that - in the midsts of last augusts record heats throughout France. The country side was dry and hot - the sunflower crop was burnt out - but Paris its self was unbearable in the heat, yet we had a faboulous time. And ate some great street food - as was our goal - supermarkets, markets, food stands, stalls, we trekked our way round Paris = nibbling most of the way.
Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com
www.cuisinetc.net
www.caterbuzz.com

#54 Susan in FL

Susan in FL
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 07:17 AM

Cape Cod Sea Salt & Vinegar, no doubt.
Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

#55 budrichard

budrichard
  • participating member
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:02 AM

Grandma Utz's are still cooked in lard and are still the best! I will find some Zapp's and try them though. -Dick

#56 stevea

stevea
  • participating member
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 11:46 AM

Definitely Tims. And not any of the special flavors, the original lightly salted variety. Sublime!

Back in my youth in the midwest, Old Dutch was the clear winner -- regular and not rippled. I wonder if they still taste the same as they did 30 years ago?
Check out our Fooddoings and more at A View from Eastmoreland

#57 docsconz

docsconz
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 12:10 PM

Anchor O'Reilly's Chip of the Month Club. Click for the link.
John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."
- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

#58 Louisa Chu

Louisa Chu
  • participating member
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 12:53 PM

I remember the fancy artisan bags or slightly more expensive ones were marked something like antique - not that spelling tho - I think it was supposed to indicate old fashioned and hand cooked - like kettle chips

A l'ancienne is how you'll see a lot of kettle-type potato chips described. I think I know which kind of chips you're talking about - in almost all the groceries.

#59 thebaker

thebaker
  • participating member
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 03:44 PM

Herrs are great
regular
low salt
and they even make a no salt that are very good
I bake there for I am....

Make food ... not war

#60 flybottle

flybottle
  • legacy participant
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 11:14 PM

Kettle Chips--from Salem Oregon--are good "fancy chips". But regular old Lays, Nacho Cheese Doritos, and (more recently) Cheddar Cheese and Sour Cream Ruffles hold a special place in my gut.