Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Who Serves Great Chicken?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 ryanozawa

ryanozawa
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:43 AM

Seems like one of these days someone should track down Chicken Alice and ask her how she feels about so many different restaurants using her idea! Given how many people here seem to have fond memories of Chicken Alice, I wonder why she ever closed down.

Someone finally did! The Star-Bulletin wins the prize for not only finding Alice of Chicken Alice's (and doing a nice profile of her and her past businesses), but also publishing the recipe! And the secret is wonderfully simple: a specific brand of locally made kim chee sauce!

Wow. I get lots of questions about Chicken Alice's on my websites. I've got a lot of people to update!

Edited by ryanozawa, 16 February 2005 - 11:44 AM.

HawaiiThreads.com - Let's talk story!

#32 PakePorkChop

PakePorkChop
  • participating member
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:02 PM

Her Greatness, Chicken Alice, has been found. I had been working with Betty Shimabukuro of the Star-Bulletin on this search, but one of the Keeaumoku bar aficionadoes tracked her down.

Go to:

http://starbulletin....res/story1.html

She's provided the recipe for her chicken wings in gratitude to the people of Hawaii. Go Alice!

You're right - most hulihuli chicken I've tried doesn't have ketchup.  The marinades do tend to vary quite a bit, and as mentioned, are usually not the central focus of the what make the chicken distinct. 

The chickens are usually different - typically they are smaller Island chickens with more flavor than the supermarket kind.

View Post