Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

De Librije - Zwolle - Holland

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 paulbrussel

paulbrussel
  • participating member
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 05:27 AM

Yesterday Derek Brown announced in Maastricht that another restaurant in the Netherlands got a third Michelin star: De Librije in Zwolle with the young chef Jonnie Boer.

This restaurant belongs to the more modern and creative restaurants of the Netherlands, together with Vermeer in Amsterdam (chef: Pascal Jalhaij) and Oud Sluis (Sergio Herman). The latter have two stars in the Michelin guide.

Beluga in Maastricht (chef: Hans van Wolde) got it's second star; he is a more modern cooking chef on a classic base.

(The other three starred restaurant in the Netherlands is the more classic but personal cooking Cees Helder of Parkheuvel in Rotterdam, who got his third star in 2002.)

#2 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure
  • participating member
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:40 AM

paulbrussel.

I'm in a right quick quandry. I failed to get reservations at De Librije (I got lazy and sat too long) :hmmm:

So, I'm considering the following options:

1. Parkheuvel
2. de Bokkedoorns
3. Vermeer (I think it was demoted to 1 star?)

Any news as of late. I like more modern/nouveau - but I also like to be full after paying a lot of money... so value for price is also a consideration. Just to give you an idea of my tastes:

1. I LOVED LOVED LOVED Oud Sluis.
2. Was really rather unimpressed with Beluga.

Thanks!
U.E.

UPDATE: called De Librije again hoping for a cancellation - to no avail... so I've decided to go to de Bokkedoorns. Will update upon return.

Yesterday Derek Brown announced in Maastricht that another restaurant in the Netherlands got a third Michelin star: De Librije in Zwolle with the young chef Jonnie Boer.

This restaurant belongs to the more modern and creative restaurants of the Netherlands, together with Vermeer in Amsterdam (chef: Pascal Jalhaij) and Oud Sluis (Sergio Herman). The latter have two stars in the Michelin guide.

Beluga in Maastricht (chef: Hans van Wolde) got it's second star; he is a more modern cooking chef on a classic base.

(The other three starred restaurant in the Netherlands is the more classic but personal cooking Cees Helder of Parkheuvel in Rotterdam, who got his third star in 2002.)

View Post

Edited by ulterior epicure, 17 November 2005 - 02:27 AM.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”
Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

#3 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure
  • participating member
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:32 AM

Visit my blog for a review of de Bokkedoorns.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

#4 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure
  • participating member
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 03:06 PM

UPDATE: I finally posted my review of lunch at Oud Sluis.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

#5 cmling

cmling
  • participating member
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:08 PM

UPDATE: I finally posted my review of lunch at Oud Sluis.

View Post

I really enjoy reading your reviews! EUR 45 for the delights you were served seems amazing value for money. (It almost makes sense for me to fly to The Netherlands for lunch...)

Charley
Charles Milton Ling
Vienna, Austria

#6 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure
  • participating member
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:11 AM

EUR 45 for the delights you were served seems amazing value for money.  (It almost makes sense for me to fly to The Netherlands for lunch...)

Charley

View Post

One slight edit to this: the coffee and mignardises cost something like 10 Euros extra... but, still a good value all-in-all.

I see you're listed in Austria - if so, GO GO GO to Obauer in Werfen.

U.E.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

#7 IFS

IFS
  • participating member
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:36 AM

Somehow wired that there is not much buzz about De Librije. My recent meal at a gourmet week at Burg Schwarzenstein in the Rheingau/Germany suggests that Jonnie's cusine is truly unique - modern, interesting and regional, much different than Sergio Herman. This is a must for any foodie - bravo, Jonnie and Thérèse Boer!

Full report with pictures here: http://highendfood.w...nie-boer-bravo/

#8 FDE

FDE
  • participating member
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

IFS, I agree, it has been 3-star for years but there are just too few reports on Jonnie Boer's cuisine. It is a bit a detour from Amsterdam, but I am glad I did manage to make a visit as it turned out to be one of my top 10 restaurants ever! The food seems to be quite different from your experience in 2009; a good reason for a revisit:)

There were about 6 or 7 of little surprises before the first course and they were all outstanding!

DL1.jpg

Here are a few highlights:

A fermented red cabbage juice surrounded by a spiralling foie gras garnished with hazelnut milk curd, sea crab meat, and black olive gel.

Seared shrimps with various seeds and nuts sticking out from the pumpkin mousse. These shrimps were almost raw with a soft and moist texture; having them barely cooked is certainly the best way to enjoy such beauties. We were amazed at the quality of these Dutch produce.

DL2.jpg

And the cheese course was extraordinary! With a fair amount of hesitation, I scooped a spoon full with a bit of everything - the thick chorizo cream, a piece of potato, a slice of rabbit kidney, and one of the liquid balls, and let them all interact in my mouth. First came the explosion of this salty Époisses Burgundy cheese; but it was quickly washed away by the deep chorizo cream; then dominated by the soft potato and the crunchy kidney. Sounded bizarre but we all agreed that it was a brilliant cheese course!

Not going to repeat my experience course by course but you can see it all here if you are interested:
http://www.finedinin...e/delibrije.php

Or a quick video here:
http://youtu.be/EPfR1_gWIOg?hd=1

We visited Oud Sluis the following day but the experience was disappointing in comparison!
Fine Dining Explorer
www.finediningexplorer.com