Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pictures from Pastry School

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#91 tighe

tighe
  • participating member
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 01:21 AM

Neil,

Congrats on the job. Looks like we'll have to find a time to get to Vegas. We can meet you for lunch after you get off work, if we're up by then.... :wink:
Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.
- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

#92 Wendy DeBord

Wendy DeBord
  • legacy participant
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 04:57 AM

Congradulations Nightscotsman! This is a great start for your career and a very wise choice!

I hope you'll still find time to visit here? I'll be really sad if you don't come back regularly and tell us how things are going and share all your new found knowledge.

How very exciting this is for you...........

#93 Mottmott

Mottmott
  • participating member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 04:47 PM

What a wonderful start to your career. Congratulations and best wishes for your future. I hope you'll share your future triumphs, too. You're inspirational.
"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

#94 malarkey

malarkey
  • participating member
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 10:46 AM

YEA Neil!! I'm so happy for you. Congrats. Hopefully we'll see you soon either in Seattle or Vegas...

Born Free, Now Expensive

#95 Fresser

Fresser
  • participating member
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 05:25 PM

So I just got the official job offer from the Bellagio today and I've decided to accept. Las Vegas here I come!  :cool: I'll be starting at the bottom as a pastry baker, but I'm very excited about getting started. Gotta get used to the 4:00 am to noon working hours. :wink:

Thanks again to everyone here for their help and encouragement!

A hearty Mazel Tov! from all of eGullet!

Don't forget those yummy (and sugar-free) lemon domes you made for our New Year's party. Those were some of the finest desserts I've had--sugar-free or otherwise.
There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

#96 bripastryguy

bripastryguy
  • participating member
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 07:58 PM

Awesome job Neil, I'm so jealous...yeh I know I have my own place but I really passed up the chance to work for some one like Jean Phillip, Make the most of it and learn everything.

Buena Suerta mi compadre'
"Chocolate has no calories....
Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence
SWEET KARMA DESSERTS
www.sweetkarmadesserts.com
550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554
516-794-4478
Brian Fishman

#97 duckduck

duckduck
  • participating member
  • 946 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 01:51 PM

Congrats! I'm very, very excited for you! The Bellagio...WOW! :wub:
Pamela Wilkinson
www.portlandfood.org
Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

#98 Blue Heron

Blue Heron
  • participating member
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 09:05 AM

Neil, congratulations! Lucky Bellagio and lucky Las Vegas to get you.

Hope to see you sometime either in Vegas or back in Seattle. :smile:

#99 tanabutler

tanabutler
  • legacy participant
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:40 AM

Wow, Neil, I don't even know you and I'm thrilled at your success. The Bellagio! Bellisimo! Posted Image

Your work is gorgeous and inspiring, and I'm sending the link to all my foodie (non-eG) friends.

(What's the deal with Vashon Island? Is there a contingent here at eGullet? A friend of mine from long ago lives there....Roxy Hathaway. I think she works at a bakery because I've met people from Vashon who tell me everyone knows her.)

#100 yushoe

yushoe
  • participating member
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:08 PM

those pictures were enough to make me drool all over my keyboard... :raz:

congrats (belated) on the job in vegas!

btw... what happens to all those yummy desserts you make in pastry school? do they get sold? eaten by the students?

#101 adoxograph

adoxograph
  • participating member
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 12:45 PM

Half of what the students make in their teams of two goes to the school for charity events school events, etc. The other half goes to the students to split.

If my first few days are any indication, yes, some does get eaten by students. :)
--adoxograph

#102 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 02:15 PM

Half of what the students make in their teams of two goes to the school for charity events school events, etc. The other half goes to the students to split.

If my first few days are any indication, yes, some does get eaten by students. :)

Oooh, wait until you get to ice creams. :biggrin: Be sure to get a bunch of quart containers to pack it in and an insulated carrier of some kind to take it home. And I hope your family and/or friends like mousse cakes.

#103 celenes

celenes
  • participating member
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 03:28 PM

Congratulations on your success. You are indeed a superstar pastry chef.

If you end up in Vegas I will be would love to meet you in person to talk more indepth about your experience. My husband and I will be travelling to Vegas end of next month for a little fun in the sun. So be sure to let me know.

There is not such a school here in Cleveland or at least I am unaware of it because I would love to take a course such as this, however I work fulltime already and don't know where I would find the time.

No that I just wrote that I must say that the Viking Culinary school opened here last Fall and has a Pastry Chef certification program but there again doesn't work with my current schedule. Unless of course my hubby would be a dear and let me work part-time :laugh: Do you think? Highly unlikely.

The pictures are great too, I am not very good at taking pictures yet with my digital, I never seem to get close enough for whatever the reason but I try.

Again congrats and I look forward to hearing about your continued success.

So I read the Vegas part late, congrats on the position and perhaps we can meet up with you when we're there if you have time. We will be there August 31 - Sept 3rd. Probably staying at Aladdin. Let me know if you are interested in a cup of coffee or lunch.

Edited by celenes, 09 July 2004 - 03:31 PM.

Believe, Laugh, Love
Lydia (aka celenes)

#104 Heartsease

Heartsease
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:47 PM

Your sugar showpeices were simply beautiful!!!!!!!!! and the banana pearl cake caused me to lust in my little black heart. You earned every bit of the grade you recived, wonderful work sir.

LA

#105 lostbaker

lostbaker
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:17 AM

I know this thread is 6 years old, but is there anyway I can see those pictures?? I'd love to see them!!