Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Pictures from Pastry School

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#31 Mottmott

Mottmott
  • participating member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 08:05 AM

Great stuff. Very impressive work and website. But my inquiring homecook mind wants to know, How do you get all those sweet little stars on the candy?
"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

#32 kitwilliams

kitwilliams
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 08:42 AM

Awesome, Neil.

Did that six months go as quickly for you as it did for me? Seems like yesterday you told everyone you were leaving for Chicago. :laugh:
kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"
Weebl

#33 chezcherie

chezcherie
  • participating member
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 08:50 AM

the macarons, the macarons!!! might there be a recipe to share? (i am on the never-ending quest to make a great macaron at home.)
those photos took me right back to culinary school (tho', sadly, our baking program was lacking---never saw anything like your wonderful work!) ya done good!!!
"Laughter is brightest where food is best."
www.chezcherie.com
Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

#34 mjc

mjc
  • participating member
  • 423 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 09:15 AM

the macarons, the macarons!!! might there be a recipe to share? (i am on the never-ending quest to make a great macaron at home.)
those photos took me right back to culinary school (tho', sadly, our baking program was lacking---never saw anything like your wonderful work!) ya done good!!!

I was also struck by the macaroons, they look perfect. How'd you do that?
Mike
The Dairy Show
Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

#35 artisanbaker

artisanbaker
  • participating member
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 11:56 AM

it's high time that you can get that quality of training in America. congrats, your work looks great. now it's time to put it into action. in production, it's a whole different game.

http://www.journaldu.../Cadre/PAnn.asp

#36 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 02:06 PM

OK, I have to brag just a little bit... they told me in private after graduation that I got the highest score. :cool:

Oh this revelation really shocks and amazes me! :biggrin: Your passion and perfectionism come as no surprise to us lucky enough to know you.

BTW, Neil's school has, without a doubt, the coolest chef's jackets I have ever seen.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#37 Ling

Ling
  • participating member
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 05:37 PM

What beautiful creations! Congrats on graduating at the top of your class! :smile:

#38 Suzanne F

Suzanne F
  • legacy participant
  • 7,398 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 06:49 PM

Oh.
My.
God.

:blink:

Come on, tell us the truth: your name is really Andrew MacLauchlan :wink:

Too bad about the ding on the top edge of the Cafe Caramelo Cake. :wacko:

#39 Mottmott

Mottmott
  • participating member
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 06:53 PM

Oh.
My.
God.

:blink:

Come on, tell us the truth: your name is really Andrew MacLauchlan  :wink:

Too bad about the ding on the top edge of the Cafe Caramelo Cake.  :wacko:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Guess someone just couldn't keep his/her fingers out of it.
"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

#40 Sandra Levine

Sandra Levine
  • participating member
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 07:18 PM

I am very impressed...and a little jealous.

#41 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 07:35 PM

Neil:

Dude - Posted Image

I am awed and completely starstuck. Thanks so much for sharing that with us! Your work is demanding and your level of expectation of yourself is evident in the perfection of each and every detail. Truly gorgeous work!

I'd have been a little concerned if you'd have been at the bottom of your class... :blink: :laugh:

Best of luck with your interview at the Bellagio. Whomever winds up as your employer will be very fortunate indeed. As will their customers!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#42 KarenS

KarenS
  • participating member
  • 758 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 07:40 PM

Stars on candy are transfer sheets (think of silkscreen- but with food dyes). Congratulations on your acomplishment! You now need to go work in a busy quality place! Multi-tasking and a sense of urgency are learned on the job!

#43 SethG

SethG
  • participating member
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 07:56 PM

Having recently made pithivier at home, I am intensely jealous of yours.

I think four of mine could have fit inside yours. How did you get that rise???!!!

Good work all around, congratulations.
"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;
but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

#44 bloviatrix

bloviatrix
  • participating member
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 08:51 PM

Congratulations on completing pastry school with such wonderful success. Your work is stunning. I wish there was someway I could reach into the computer screen and sample each creation.

Your new employer, whomever that might be, will be lucky to have you.
"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

#45 kthull

kthull
  • participating member
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 10:05 PM

Breathtaking work Neil. Thanks so much for sharing. I especially loved the fire and ice sculpture.

#46 nightscotsman

nightscotsman
  • participating member
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 10:25 PM

Too bad about the ding on the top edge of the Cafe Caramelo Cake.  :wacko:

The truth about that cake is it we kind of screwed it up - my partner forgot to add the gelatine to the coffee mousse, so it didn't hold up when it defrosted. That's why I didn't bother with glazing and garnishing, and also why that's the only one I got a shot of cut open. Since it wasn't going to survive the trip home, we just ate it in class. :raz:

Congratulations on your acomplishment! You now need to go work in a busy quality place! Multi-tasking and a sense of urgency are learned on the job!

That's exactly what I want to do next - even though we did a lot in school, I know there is huge amount I still have yet to learn. I am not a pastry chef yet by any means.

#47 ducphat30

ducphat30
  • participating member
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 01:59 PM

Great looking website, I showed people at work and they were asking is this a new patisserie? Although I don't know you, I wish you continued success wherever your endeavors take you. What a shame it is for Chicago to lose you. Have you tried the Ritz Carlton in Chicago? En Ming Hsu is extremely talented, as well and runs a great kitchen.

Best of luck in your search. :smile:
Patrick Sheerin

#48 ronnie_suburban

ronnie_suburban
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 02:04 PM

Just awesome Neil! :smile:

Thanks for sharing your pics--and your desserts--which I have been very fortunate to have tasted. I have no doubt that you will find yourself at the top of your professional before very long. And if not, based on your website, you've clearly got a future in graphic design :wink:

=R=
"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

#49 woodburner

woodburner
  • participating member
  • 901 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 05:05 PM

Wow.

Dude,
You rule.

woodburner

#50 joiei

joiei
  • participating member
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 07:50 PM

Congratulations on some very impressive work. It shows a level of dedication that is beyond what some students are willing to put into their craft.

Looking at your showpieces reminded me of a conversation with a food writer this week. He just did not get why we work so hard to create these beautiful pieces. For him, food was strictly about the eating. It is too bad he will never be a good food writer. Until he comprehends the entirety of culinary, he will never completely understand the food he is eating.

Good luck where ever you finally end up. They will be the lucky ones to have you on their team.
It is good to be a BBQ Judge.

#51 chezcherie

chezcherie
  • participating member
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 08:07 PM

okay--no recipe....i get that.
would you maybe be able to share a couple "how to get them this gorgeous" macaron tips?
obsessively yours,
cherie
"Laughter is brightest where food is best."
www.chezcherie.com
Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

#52 bripastryguy

bripastryguy
  • participating member
  • 688 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 09:17 PM

Jason,

Along those lines I have thrown my hat into the competition arena. I dont expect to win but I hope to make a nice showing. I'm unfamiliar with many techniques but have enlisted the aide of one of my friends who has gotten a pretty good handle on chocolate showpiece work. The items we've done so far are pretty up to date and will look impressive when finished (not WPC caliber but still good in there own right.)

Neil-Awesome stuff!!!! Jaquey is a great teacher, I followed him around for years and took every class he gave, he humorously refred to me as his own private stalker...... I call on him time to time and he is always there when needed. His wife is also very helpful and a good pastry chef on her own....

One word of advice-Just keep it up and keep learning.
"Chocolate has no calories....
Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence
SWEET KARMA DESSERTS
www.sweetkarmadesserts.com
550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554
516-794-4478
Brian Fishman

#53 NeroW

NeroW
  • participating member
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 02:12 PM

Neil, you're the shit.

That's the first croquembouche I've ever seen that looked like something I'd actually want to eat, let alone look at.

Congratulations :biggrin:
Noise is music. All else is food.

#54 alacarte

alacarte
  • participating member
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 02:32 PM

Absolutely fabulous. I especially loved your ode to Salvador Dali.

Congratulations on graduating! I got a kick out of seeing "Graduate" boldfaced in your signature. Good for you!!!

#55 Betts

Betts
  • participating member
  • 418 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:04 PM

Neil - you have the rare combination of facile fingers and a creative mind to drive it all. Thanks so much for a peek into your world. All the best to you and thanks for the occasional bit of your advice along the way.

#56 malarkey

malarkey
  • participating member
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:23 PM

OK, I have to brag just a little bit... they told me in private after graduation that I got the highest score. :cool:

Those of us who have been lucky enough to have eaten Neil's desserts are NOT surprised he kicked major ass in school.

And, we also know he's gonna kick ass in the real world!

Gorgeous stuff NSM, great site, best of luck wherever you end up, and we can NOT wait to have you back in the PNW :raz:

Born Free, Now Expensive

#57 Louisa Chu

Louisa Chu
  • participating member
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:07 AM

I take my toque off to you sir - beautiful blown sugar pieces - those would get you serious respect in the best houses in Paris.

Did you follow models for your work? Monkey see, monkey do? That Black Forest Cake rocked my world.

Are you going to the Bellagio central patisserie - or one of the restaurants?

Felicitations et bonne chance.

#58 PastryLady

PastryLady
  • participating member
  • 204 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:05 PM

Neil, your work is really great. So nice to have a camera handy. Wish I had thought of that a few years back when I started! :cool: I love the fire and ice showpiece and the b & b dessert. Can you share how you got the funky clock to transfer onto the tuile? (or was that a chip, can't remember). I sure hope you find your nitch in this business as I can see you have the desire and drive to succeed :)
Debra Diller
"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics

#59 tan319

tan319
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:11 PM

Neil,
Sorry to be so late in posting but it's never too late to tell someone that they've done fantastic work!!!
Your stuff looks incredible!
I don't know how much you knew going in but, JESUS!
Those guys at FPS sure do some good teaching!
I back up Loufoods statement. As someone who's spent a bit of time in France (non food related, but that didn't stop me from tasting and looking), your stuff holds up pretty damn well.
Job well done, and I wish you all the luck one can wish in you achieving whatever you set out to do.
STUNNING!
2317/5000

#60 seawakim

seawakim
  • participating member
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 10:36 PM

Hey Neil... This is SeawaDave.
What can I say? How about "Absolutely incredible" for starts? I'm really glad you took the time to take these pictures and now have them up on a site - they look stunning!

We all really appreciate how generous you are with your time, your knowledge, and your desserts.

Best of luck at the interview -- they will be very lucky to have you!
"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire