Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Bûche de Noël/Buche de Noel/Yule Log

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#91 Darcie B

Darcie B
  • participating member
  • 610 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

Hey, did your RLB cake roll up ok?
I've been having a hard time getting my chocolate rolls to roll. I have no problem with my white ones.

View Post

It cracked some, but I may have overbaked it a little (it never did pass her test for being done by springing back). RLB has you cool the cake flat and then roll - other recipes I've seen say to roll warm, then un-roll, fill and re-roll. I don't know if that makes a difference. There is no flour in her recipe - just eggs, sugar and melted chocolate. It had a good flavor and was moist even with an extra 4 minutes in the oven. I would try it again, this time taking it out earlier.
Visit my blog: Bakin-n-bacon
eG Foodblog

#92 bripastryguy

bripastryguy
  • participating member
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:52 PM

This is the ones I did this year

Posted Image
"Chocolate has no calories....
Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence
SWEET KARMA DESSERTS
www.sweetkarmadesserts.com
550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554
516-794-4478
Brian Fishman

#93 ohmyganache

ohmyganache
  • participating member
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:50 PM

Nice looking yule logs!

Here's ours...
Posted Image
Stephen W.
Pastry Chef/Owner
The Sweet Life Bakery
Vineland, NJ

#94 QbanCrackr

QbanCrackr
  • participating member
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

heres a picture of my first buche...ever lol. it was a bit intimidating seeing how i've never made the cake for it, but it actually wasn't that bad! it was pretty fun actually

i threw it in the freezer until i have a chance to make some decorations...i've got alot of fondant laying around here could i just use that? or would you recommend something else to make like little leafs and hollys and whatnot

meringue mushrooms, well thats another story...i'll attempt those some other day hehe...maybe youtube has a video tutorial on how to make 'em

i noticed afterwards in this thread that most everyone cuts off the stump at an angle (i cut mine at a 90, next time i'll make the adjustments)

so anywho, heres the pic...feel free to critique and let me know what i can change and also what i can add next time! i'm hoping to make a few for friends/family for the holidays

Attached Images

• photo.JPG

Danny

#95 QbanCrackr

QbanCrackr
  • participating member
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:11 PM

update, i cut off the edges to show the rings inside, made some quick holly berries + leaves & some fondant mushrooms...just wish it was bigger but it looks decent for a first attempt no?

Attached Images

• 213132.jpg

Danny

#96 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,649 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:56 PM

I like the holly and must admit to a lifelong affection for the meringue mushrooms with cacao "dirt". I agree that seeing the layers enhances the look but worry about the cake drying out. Perhaps a light glaze or syrup that will still allow the layers to show but also protect the cake? I made one in my teens and have not attempted since, so my hat is off to you for your first foray into buche.

#97 AnnieWilliams

AnnieWilliams
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

I know it's a bit early, but people around me are already pestering me for Christmas goodies. Last year I made three buches using Rose Levy Beranbaum's vanilla biscuit roulade. While the biscuit was a dream to roll, I found it very thin once baked. I definitely used the correct pan size (I had to go all over God's creation to find a 12x17) and the batter was mixed properly. I'm thinking this is just the nature of a biscuit, but I'm not trained in pastry so I don't really know.

I was hoping someone would be willing to share their buche sponge recipes with me. I liked the biscuit because it was basically indestructible. You roll it while it's still warm and then cool it, then fill and re-roll. Not one of the three I did last year cracked. Like I mentioned before, the thinness is what I didn't like. I almost felt like the buches were too skinny, and I rolled them from the short end. I do plan to try Rose's chocolate buche recipe, the one with no flour.

Also, what do you prefer for fillings and icings? I just used an Italian meringue buttercream for a filling and then iced with ganache. This year I was thinking of using a French buttercream. Initially I thought about using a mousseline but I really need to be able to make some things in advance since I work full time at my "other" job.

Thanks in advance!

Annie

#98 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

I will dig out my recipe, from my old cooking school, this weekend. It is very good. I have not made RLB's recipe, but she is reliable.

#99 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 236 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

Annie, could you please post or PM me RLB's biscuit recipe? As it happens, I have a 12x17 and was just looking for a biscuit to fit this pan.

I would be eternally grateful! :smile:

#100 AnnieWilliams

AnnieWilliams
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Thank you all for your replies. Thanks Heidi for the link. I had that one bookmarked from a while back and it does have some good info.

Diana, here is the recipe I used.

http://www.joyofbaki...eorBiscuit.html

Like I said, it is a great recipe to work with. I just was hoping to have something a little thicker, and a tried and true chocolate recipe for a 12x17 would be great. Also, if anyone has any good filling suggestions or a preferred icing they use for their buches I would be interested in that as well.

Thanks again for your replies. I am open to any additional suggestions.

Edited by AnnieWilliams, 18 October 2012 - 10:27 AM.

#101 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

Thank you for the recipe link, Annie.

I tend to fill and frost with ganache if I make the rolled variety, but I want to try something a bit more interesting this year. Something like this:

http://www.foodbeam....laisirs-sucres/

I've recently been to a demo where the pastry chef made a buche filled with praline pastry cream and chocolate mousse. The biscuit was very thin, he even flapped it around to show us how flexible it needs to be. The theory is that the thin biscuit is there only to provide some textural contrast (bite) to an otherwise soft buche. He used a mould sprayed with chocolate, and the buche looked fabulous unmoulded. If you don't want to go the sprayed route, you can mould in a silicone pan, and just glaze with ultra-shiny chocolate glaze after unmolding.

Edited by DianaM, 18 October 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#102 AnnieWilliams

AnnieWilliams
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Thank you Diana! I'm almost positive you can use that biscuit recipe for some cake origami (cakigami?). It's very durable and flexible.

That is a great link you posted. I really love the way those look when cut. I don't have a buche mold so I just roll mine. Where do you find your molds?

It's good to know that the buche is supposed to be "mostly soft." I was thinking I had too much buttercream in the filling. It was Italian meringue so it wasn't the typical crunchy buttercream made with butter and confectioner's sugar.

Have you made French buttercream? In that previous buche thread that Heidi linked to, it looks like one of the posters was mixing praline paste in with French buttercream and she said she liked the way it tasted. I'm not sure how close in texture French buttercream is to pastry cream, I imagine pastry cream is a bit thicker, but I think the richness of the yolks would add a lot to the flavor.

I liked using the ganache to ice. I thought it was nice and rich and I loved the deep color. I don't think I would like using buttercream as much for the icing.

#103 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

Love the cakigami idea! :biggrin: I will definitely try that biscuit.

No, I haven't made French buttercream. But I'm biased, I am a huge pastry cream fan, so for me, it would be either a variation thereupon, or a ganache. Mixing buttercream with praline paste would likely taste very good, but maybe just a touch too rich? Just my 2 pence. Pastry cream can be lightened with whipped cream, and then stabilized with gelatin (this is called a creme chiboust). A bit lighter after a huge meal.

This is what I use at home: http://www.dr.ca/small-u-log-9.html
You line it with cling wrap, then with the biscuit, and you go from there building upwards in the mould.
If I were rich and/or planning to make logs for many people and/or working as a baker/patissier, probably I would use this silicone mould:
http://www.dr.ca/chr...cone-mould.html

Whatever you decide to do, please let us know, and maybe post some pics too in the Daily Sweets thread.

#104 AnnieWilliams

AnnieWilliams
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:43 AM

I definitely agree with you about the richness factor. I actually saw several recipes where a mousseline was made by whipping butter into pastry cream. I guess I can always do some experimenting to see which tastes better. :)

Wow that one mold is neat! That is for some serious buche making. Thanks so much for posting the links to the molds. I am definitely going to look into those, as they seem to be more interesting than anything homely I could make. :)

#105 jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan
  • participating member
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

Thank you Diana! I'm almost positive you can use that biscuit recipe for some cake origami (cakigami?). It's very durable and flexible.

That is a great link you posted. I really love the way those look when cut. I don't have a buche mold so I just roll mine. Where do you find your molds?

It's good to know that the buche is supposed to be "mostly soft." I was thinking I had too much buttercream in the filling. It was Italian meringue so it wasn't the typical crunchy buttercream made with butter and confectioner's sugar.

Have you made French buttercream? In that previous buche thread that Heidi linked to, it looks like one of the posters was mixing praline paste in with French buttercream and she said she liked the way it tasted. I'm not sure how close in texture French buttercream is to pastry cream, I imagine pastry cream is a bit thicker, but I think the richness of the yolks would add a lot to the flavor.

I liked using the ganache to ice. I thought it was nice and rich and I loved the deep color. I don't think I would like using buttercream as much for the icing.

French buttercream is completely different from pastry cream- it's exactly like your italian meringue buttercream, but using whole eggs or yolks. Pastry cream is a custard cooked out with starch, and it doesn't hold or freeze well at all (though mousseline is more stable, I think the butter stabilizes it). Both are pretty rich and heavy, but for me it's a lot more enjoyable to eat a mouthful of pastry cream than buttercream.

Over here, most bûches aren't rolled at all though, so any cake base and mousse filling goes.

James

#106 AnnieWilliams

AnnieWilliams
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:04 AM

Thank you James for your reply. I had a feeling that the French buttercream was the same, I was just thinking that it would have the same richness as the pastry cream and maybe more flavor from the yolks. I agree about eating pastry cream over buttercream, but then there are those strange people who hate pastry cream. :) My initial idea was to go with a pastry cream or mousseline, so thanks for that vote. :)

I do work full time and ideally I would like to freeze as much as possible (only for a week or so) so I would have to work some things out logistically if I decided to make the pastry cream. Really I don't even know how many buches I'm going to make yet, so it could be very doable.

Thanks again for your help, James!

#107 jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan
  • participating member
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

Thank you James for your reply. I had a feeling that the French buttercream was the same, I was just thinking that it would have the same richness as the pastry cream and maybe more flavor from the yolks. I agree about eating pastry cream over buttercream, but then there are those strange people who hate pastry cream. :) My initial idea was to go with a pastry cream or mousseline, so thanks for that vote. :)

I do work full time and ideally I would like to freeze as much as possible (only for a week or so) so I would have to work some things out logistically if I decided to make the pastry cream. Really I don't even know how many buches I'm going to make yet, so it could be very doable.

Thanks again for your help, James!

No problem. Honestly, the easiest ones to make in advance are mousse based- most pâtisseries around here start making them in September/October. You just need to wrap it well. You get a more modern look, but they're less rich and heavy.

If you're doing a lot of rolled buttercream bûches though and you have the workspace, make them as one long line, finish the buttercream coating and then cut each to whichever size you want. It's pretty spectacular- last Christmas the team put 5 tables together and did a couple of 25-footers.

#108 AnnieWilliams

AnnieWilliams
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:03 AM

Wow that's impressive! I would love to see how everyone works on such a large project. I envision total mayhem but then again to get so much accomplished there is probably some semblance of organization!

Thanks again for the tips!

#109 TeakettleSlim

TeakettleSlim
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:15 AM

Made a buche de Noel this year-- only my aecond time, and I encountered a problem I don't remember from last time I made it. Perhaps it was my filling (orange white chocolate cream cheese frosting)-- too soft? But I got that sucker rolled up and then had a bit of a crisis trying to get it in rolled-up form from parchment to serving tray where I was going to finish decorating it. I tried to slide it-- no go. then tried to roll it on over-- no. It sort of unrolled, filling came squishing out, and the roll transformed into a sort of inelegant fold. I managed to pull it all together, it ended up looking more like a half-decomposed log covered in snow. But it was reasonably delicious so no one minded. But for next time-- how do you get it transferred from one surface to another? Was it just my icing that messed me up?

#110 AnnieWilliams

AnnieWilliams
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Bummer! I am sorry that happened to you. I think it was definitely the filling. I made four over the weekend and I used a French buttercream to fill. For one, I did a vanilla bean rum version, and I ended up putting too much rum in (oops) so it was a little softer than I would have liked. Anyway, the best thing I have found is to fill it, then refrigerate it for at least 20 minutes to let things firm up again. Your white chocolate cream cheese icing should have firmed up in the fridge with no problem. Then it's really easy to move it and ice it. It sounds delicious though!

#111 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

My mom and my brother collaborated on the bûche de Noël this year. I have to say they did a fantastic job:

IMG_2072.jpg

(There was also a chocolate hazelnut pie that was to die for - chocolate crust. I'm not even a dessert person.)

#112 AnnieWilliams

AnnieWilliams
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

That looks wonderful!