Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

DIGEST: Louisiana Food in the Media

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Mayhaw Man

Mayhaw Man
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 08:25 AM

The update has been on vacation for the month of August. It's awfully hot here and lethargy set in pretty hard. Now that September has arrived we are starting to move a bit, although no cooler here-not til mid October really, so we natives just play like we have 4 season instead of 2 (hot and wet and cold and wet).

Here are a few articles that have appeared in the Times Picayune during August and a few more from the New Orleans Gambit Weekly. I hope that you enjoy them.

I will begin this update with an article that, while not strictly about food, is as important to food and dining in Louisiana in general, and New Orleans in particular, as anything with the possible exception of Mardi Gras

Keith Spera ruminates on the future of The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

Have you had a particularly memorable meal in New Orleans?

Then tell the Picayune about it and get into the Fall rest. guide.

A few listings concerning nectar-a New Orleans tradition

In the Pink-What nectar is all about!

Nectar to go

Go to the Nectar

Muriel's on Jackson Square is having the LPO over for dinner next Thursday and you are invited

Classical Dining

Picayune Critic Brett Anderson loves Siamese, a new Thai place in Metairie

Brett gets all Thaid up

Brett Anderson says that things are looking up at Indigo

Three Beans for Indigo

South Louisiana is the center of the "meat and three" universe and New Orleanians eat their fair share. Writer Pableaux Johnson covers three of the better places here.

Meat and Three

We are very lucky here in Louisiana. We have better and more seafood than pretty much anywhere on the planet and to top it off, in the Fall, we have White Shrimp (that's lake shrimp to those of you in the know). Pableaux Johnson talks with home town boy and James Beard winner Frank Brigsten about this delicious bounty

Louisiana white shrimp are better than your shrimp-no matter the color

On the other hand, the high cost of fuel and the low cost of inferior, low quality but plentiful foriegn shrimp has got the shrimpers catching hell coming and going. Here is a little info about how they are going about trying to save their way of life.

Shrimpers bring their shrimp and their white boots to the Crescent City Farmers Market

Here in Union Busting Country labor day has never been a big holiday, but if you happen to have the day off (lucky you) you wmight want to try some of these recipes that are listed in the Picayune by Editor Judy Walker.

Food Labors for Labor Day

Marcelle Bienvenue's husband Rock is whining about the end of summer-she straightens him out pdq.

Summer's end grilling (although summer won't end here for another two months)

Wine, cookbooks, farmers markets, etc.

Scoop du Jour from the Picayune for Sept. 2

Here are some uses for crab boil that you might not have thought of on your own.

Crab Boil-It's Good for what ails you.

See you soon.
Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

#32 Mayhaw Man

Mayhaw Man
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:44 AM

Time for another media update. We are coming up on the busy Fall tourist and convention season and ya'll need to be up to date with the latest news concerning food and dining in Louisiana. Well, here it is!

Picayune food writer Brett Anderson writes a good piece on dining in New York, while at the same time "watching my back" by revealing what bachelors in South Louisiana eat when they are "home alone". Pickled okra is a mainstay of well stocked bachelor refrigerators.

A Well Fed Refugee

You can write a story about dining in New Orleans and have it appear in the Times Picayune. Details here:

Writing Contest

Pableaux Johnson skips out on the music at Festival Acadiens in Lafayette and heads for Romero's, a mecca for pie lovers all over Louisiana.

Piyo on the Bayou

Tulane had a fun class that taught students how to make a basic Rosh Hashana meal in their dorm rooms.

Rosh Hashana 101

Gambit's Sara Roahen is trying hard to love Big Shirley's on the edge of the Treme'.

Big Shirley's
Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

#33 bavila

bavila
  • participating member
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:29 PM

March 2006 Atlantic Monthly (You may need subscriber status to read online.)

Open for Business
A post-Katrina visit to the restaurants of New Orleans, where eating out has become essential group therapy
Bridget Avila
My Blog

#34 Robert Peyton

Robert Peyton
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:10 PM

GQ has recently published a "review" of New Orleans dining by Alan Richman. Mr. Richman apparently visited New Orleans in July, 2006, and disliked just about every aspect of the City.

The piece is also not online to my knowledge, but appears in print in the November issue of GQ. Other writing by Mr. Richman may be found here: http://men.style.com...eatures/richman

I've written about the piece on my own website, so I won't do so here, other than to say that other writers have done a better job of covering New Orleans, in my very biased opinion.

#35 TAPrice

TAPrice
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:32 PM

Kim Severson argues that New Orleans food doesn't travel well. You have to come down here to taste the real thing.

Through the whole meal, I kept thinking about how some food doesn’t translate well when you move it from its source. In fact, it happens with most cuisines. Some, like classic French bistro food or certain Italian dishes, make the leap better than others. Less Euro-centric cuisine doesn’t seem to translate as well.

The food of New Orleans — quirky, emotional, historic and rooted in its surroundings perhaps more than any other American cuisine – is more difficult than most to transplant.

New York Times Diner's Journal
Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

#36 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

I was sorry to see this sign of the times:

"Times-Picayune to cut paper to 3 days a week"

The Times-Picayune, one of the nation's oldest newspapers, will no longer offer print editions seven days a week and instead plans to offer three printed issues a week starting in the fall. The change means New Orleans would become the largest metro area in the nation without a daily newspaper in the digital age.

They'll still exist daily on Nola.com, but it's not quite the same.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#37 TAPrice

TAPrice
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:02 AM

I was sorry to see this sign of the times:

"Times-Picayune to cut paper to 3 days a week"

The Times-Picayune, one of the nation's oldest newspapers, will no longer offer print editions seven days a week and instead plans to offer three printed issues a week starting in the fall. The change means New Orleans would become the largest metro area in the nation without a daily newspaper in the digital age.

They'll still exist daily on Nola.com, but it's not quite the same.

In case you hadn't heard, Brett Anderson--along with half the paper's newsroom--was fired yesterday. Sad day.
Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

#38 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:28 AM

This pretty much uniformly sucks. Brett should go rogue with his own blog.
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream